Citrojim's Ka, Saxo and Bike Tales

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Re: Citrojim's Ka, Skoda, Saxo and Bike Tales

Post by CitroJim » 22 Feb 2018, 18:39

Serviced the bikes today and got my special sportive bike prepared for the first big event of the season on Saturday...

It's going to be a cold one!

My daily rider bike needed new rear brake pads... I get through more brake pads on my bikes than I ever do in my cars!!! That must say something...
brakepads.jpg
Own Work
Checked over the cars... All fine but sally needed spanners applied to her... Nothing serious... The alternator belt needed to be tightened a little to cure a squeal on first start-up in the cold...

Apart from that, no problems...

I went out for a lovely ride on my sportive bike to test it, along with my sportive-specific kit... None of it has been out since late 2017...

It was great despite the biting east wind...

I then went for a run to round off what's been an excellent day and spotted this first definite sign of spring :)
springflowers.jpg
Own Work
Fairly filled me with joy and happiness :)

So did the run... Especially now my knee and IT band are almost perfect again :)

Zelandeth
Donor 2016

Post by Zelandeth » 22 Feb 2018, 23:05

The mention of belts reminds me, I really need to deal with the squeaky belt on the Activa. It's not got any worse since I first picked the car up, but would still like to get it sorted at some point before it *does* get any worse.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 23 Feb 2018, 06:20

I'd replace the belt Zel as I never replaced it in all my years of ownership so it must be due now!

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 24 Feb 2018, 18:44

Brilliant day today :D Took part in the No Excuses Cambridgeshire Sportive on my bike...

The weather was gorgeous, if not a little nippy and the scenery on the course was awesomely beautiful, as were all the villages and small towns we rode through... Oundle especially...

I was delighted with my ride... 51 miles in 3 hours and 22 minutes - an average speed of 15.4mph and given a good deal of the route was subject to a biting east wind that was not bad at all...

I was as warm as toast wearing some five layers on my torso, thermal tights, two pairs of merino socks, a buff, a thermal skull cap and more happily I had warm fingers for the first time ever... I have finally found the secret :)

The secret is a pair of silk gloves on first, then a pair of thin running gloves and then a pair of Decathlon's finest ski mitts...

It works! =D>

I'm one very, very happy person today :D

Got this when I crossed the finish line :D Another to add to the growing collection!
noexusesmedal.jpg
Own Work

Zelandeth
Donor 2016

Post by Zelandeth » 24 Feb 2018, 23:08

Well done that Jim.

Would have been a good day for it today I'd think.

Really need to sort the puncture on the C5, been too long since I had it out - though the AC having nicked the battery this last few weeks hasn't helped!

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 25 Feb 2018, 05:41

Zel, when you have the C5 back on the road I'll come for a ride (drive?) with you on my hybrid :)

Maybe we could do the Millennium Circular with Mike?

Michel

Post by Michel » 25 Feb 2018, 07:15

CitroJim wrote:
25 Feb 2018, 05:41
Zel, when you have the C5 back on the road I'll come for a ride (drive?) with you on my hybrid :)

Maybe we could do the Millennium Circular with Mike?

That sounds like a great idea!

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 25 Feb 2018, 09:08

Excellent :) Looking forward to it :D

Zelandeth
Donor 2016

Post by Zelandeth » 25 Feb 2018, 10:22

Only problem with that if that I'd hope you lot up!

The lack of any form of gears (and legality of electrically assisted cycles) means that 15mph is about the best you can expect out of it (unless going downhill where bravery or stupidity are the only limits) or if you've got a mental husky attached.

It's great for popping round the shops, but isn't built for speed. This is one reason I really want to get the old Carlton road bike back in working order at some point - so I'm not the slowest cyclist in the family by a country mile!

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 25 Feb 2018, 10:35

Zel, 15mph is a lot more than I average on a hybrid knocking around MK so no worries at all there :)

The Redways are not built for speed and anyway, it's nice to ride at a leisurely pace and enjoy the scenery as well as denying many a smartphone addict a Darwin Award :lol:

If you need any assistance with recommissioning your bike you know where I am ;)

Michel

Post by Michel » 25 Feb 2018, 13:41

Zelandeth wrote:
25 Feb 2018, 10:22
Only problem with that if that I'd hope you lot up!

Noo, not with me on my mountain bike with its knobbly tyres, and Jim on his hybrid. Averaging 15mph is nigh on impossible. It's hard enough on a road bike on the road. Add in being safe around pedestrians and I'd be surprised if much more than 10mph was do-able.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 25 Feb 2018, 14:56

Michel wrote:
25 Feb 2018, 13:41
Averaging 15mph is nigh on impossible. It's hard enough on a road bike on the road.

Mike, yes, exactly. I averaged just over 15mph on good roads yesterday and that, give or take, is my norm...

As all MK Redways are shared and constantly busy with pedestrians and dog-walkers, care at all times is needed... I average a little under 10mph on those riding my hybrid...

Just off out on the hybrid in a bit - it's too lovely an afternoon to stay in...

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 25 Feb 2018, 17:17

Just been out for a ride around the MK Redways on my hybrid and I averaged 10.9mph :)

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2520742310

It was a gorgeous ride on a lovely afternoon but by gollly, that east wind is starting to pick up :twisted:

A little picture of my bike propped against an NCN route marker in Campbell Park adjacent to our Totem Pole and cricket pavilion ;)
IMG_20180225_150409.jpg
Own Work
In other news, a fault on a vintage Philips CD player that's been baffling me on and off for months has finally yielded up the cause of the problem...

The error corrector memory IC is duff. It's a pretty standard 128K RAM IC and I noted it had no positive supply today due to its feed resistor being open-circuit. The resistor is not the complete problem as the IC itself is drawing no current. Looks like the IC 'popped' and took its feed resistor with it...
IMG_20180225_154104.jpg
Own Work
Luckily the right RAM IC is still available and one is on order. For just under a tenner I should soon have a worker. Pleased I've finally found it. In nailing this fault I've learned a great deal how CD players work :D

It's been a great day :D

van ordinaire
donor 2017

Post by van ordinaire » 27 Feb 2018, 00:30

I have a small collection of CD players (mainss & 12v) as I've had to keep replacing them - 'cos no one repairs them!

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 27 Feb 2018, 07:00

van ordinaire wrote:
27 Feb 2018, 00:30
I have a small collection of CD players (mainss & 12v) as I've had to keep replacing them - 'cos no one repairs them!

Newer ones are hard to repair Van but the old originals - pre mid-80s - are easier... 'Walkman' type ones are almost impossible nowadays...