Citrojim's Ka, Saxo and Bike Tales

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Sally the white Saxo, Pixie the Sliver Pixo, a Giant TCR Bike, Giant TCR Pro Bike and a Giant gravel/adventure bike.

Re: Citrojim's Ka, Skoda, Saxo and Bike Tales

Post by CitroJim » 11 Feb 2018, 10:05

myglaren wrote:
10 Feb 2018, 20:43
CitroJim wrote:
10 Feb 2018, 18:40
Now I'm on to another amp - a home built kit one from a magazine - and a very swish record deck 🙂

Plenty to keep me busy on a wet day ..

Heathkit?

:twisted:

No, even better ;) A PW 'Winton' built from a series of articles in Practical Wireless magazine in 1979...

It was revolutionary in its day as it's 50W per channel using the then very new power MOSFETS...

More on this one later :)
bobins wrote:
10 Feb 2018, 21:46
Jim - you might appreciate what a mate of mine has been working on. He's slowly bringing a huge old Army radio set back to life (you might even have heard of it :wink: ). He tried to reform the caps in it - they were last reformed in 1964 !! but they all failed, so next best option was to replace them with identical ones to keep it authentic.... but he couldn't get any. When you see the size of them, that's not surprising...
WMD_3166.jpeg
...so next best option was to cut them in half, hollow them out, and put new ones inside with the tails coming out the original tag rivet locations...
Wonderful :D 8-) =D> That's right up my street! Keep me appraised of progress please ;)

Doing that with duff components to maintain looks is what we call 'restuffing' :) I've done it many times with big can electrolytic. Some even restuff wax capacitors and resistors!

Just make sure the small replacement electrolytics are up to the job with respect to their ripple current handling ability when used as the reservoir capacitor just after the HT rectifier... Many aren't and can fail spectacularly...

Make sure too that they are rated 105 degrees C as their cooling will be a bit compromised inside the old can...
Jim

I am no longer active on this forum but please feel free to follow me on Facebook and Strava :)

Zelandeth
Donor 2016
My Cars: 1996 Citroen Xantia Activa
1975 AC Model-70
1985 Sinclair C5
1993 Lada Riva 1.5E Estate

Post by Zelandeth » 11 Feb 2018, 18:08

Still never going to forget when one of those large smoothing caps decided to let go during the first full power test of a set a few years back. First I knew of it (it had been on a lamp limiter for quite a while and seemed happy!) was when I heard an almighty bang and heard something zip past my left ear. Found later that the can and left a large dent in the ceiling...
Current fleet:
1996 Citroen Xantia 2.0T Activa. 85 Sinclair C5. 93 Lada Riva 1.5EFi Estate, 73 & 75 AC Model 70s.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Sally the white Saxo, Pixie the Sliver Pixo, a Giant TCR Bike, Giant TCR Pro Bike and a Giant gravel/adventure bike.

Post by CitroJim » 11 Feb 2018, 19:02

Zelandeth wrote:
11 Feb 2018, 18:08
First I knew of it (it had been on a lamp limiter for quite a while and seemed happy!) was when I heard an almighty bang and heard something zip past my left ear. Found later that the can and left a large dent in the ceiling...

Been there! Once, I had one explode so violently we could find no trace of it anywhere... It had vapourised :lol:

Got to have a look at the PW 'Winton' late this afternoon...

It's good :) It works although the volume pot is worn out... The build quality is not bad for a home-constructed job...
Winton2.jpg
Winton1.jpg
It's bloody loud and sounds good on decent speakers...

Worth searching out a new volume pot for it...

The wooden sleeve case is a bit scruffy but this amp is a keeper as it's so unusual and doubtless very rare now...

Definitely worth restoring :)

The kit of parts to build it was £120 or so in 1979 so it was expensive even as a kit...

This is part 1 of the original article in Practical Wireless:

http://www.americanradiohistory.com/Arc ... 979-03.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim

I am no longer active on this forum but please feel free to follow me on Facebook and Strava :)

Zelandeth
Donor 2016
1975 AC Model-70
1985 Sinclair C5

Post by Zelandeth » 11 Feb 2018, 19:04

That's an interesting amp that is Jim. Wouldn't fancy trying to track down intermittent contacts in all those push buttons!
Current fleet:
1996 Citroen Xantia 2.0T Activa. 85 Sinclair C5. 93 Lada Riva 1.5EFi Estate, 73 & 75 AC Model 70s.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 11 Feb 2018, 19:10

Zelandeth wrote:
11 Feb 2018, 19:04
Wouldn't fancy trying to track down intermittent contacts in all those push buttons!

:lol: Quite! Nor me :twisted: Luckily, they're high quality ones and they seem all good...

Tracking down the proper pot of a decent quality is going to be tricky though...

I'll be hunting down some NOS if I can...

NVCF in May may well be a good source...
Jim

Zelandeth
Donor 2016
1975 AC Model-70
1985 Sinclair C5

Post by Zelandeth » 11 Feb 2018, 19:14

What rating is it? I'll be going up in the loft at some point in the next couple of days to re-route coax from the satellite dish, can have a dig through a couple of the random components boxes while I'm up there.
Current fleet:

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 11 Feb 2018, 19:20

It's a dual-gang 100K Log in the old traditional size... A good, proper big one ;)
Jim

Zelandeth
Donor 2016
1975 AC Model-70
1985 Sinclair C5

Post by Zelandeth » 11 Feb 2018, 19:51

Ah, don't think I've got any dual ganged ones...I'll have a check though just in case. Wouldn't be the first time I've found something I'd forgotten I had.
Current fleet:

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 12 Feb 2018, 09:08

No worries Zel, thanks ever so for looking :)

They're not at all common now but found one on eBay for a fairly hefty price...

It claims to be brand new but the quality may not be good if past experience with these new production pots is anything to go by... They very quickly become noisy :(

One seller is offering a very dodgy looking NOS one, one that looks like it's been damp for years, for well in excess of a tenner :twisted:
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 18 Feb 2018, 15:59

Delighted to have completed the Milton Keynes Winter Half Marathon today in a very fair time of just a shade over two hours... Not bad considering this time last week I could barely walk due to a knee problem :)

This was the run as captured by my Garmin:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2505693567

And this was me at the end of the run... Happily knackered :D
mkwhmselfie.jpg
The reason it says 2017 on the teeshirt is the run was postponed from December 10th because of deep snow... No such problems today; the sun shone on us and if anything we all ended up a bit over-dressed for the occasion... I know I was..

I put my success firmly down to some excellent physio I received in the week and maybe perhaps to this stuff:
kinesiologytape.jpg
The human equivalent of gaffer tape :lol: It's called Kinesiology tape and is reassuringly expensive...

The contents of the mug helped my recovery no end too; a Soya latte :D

Next week I have my first cycle sportive of 2018 - a 50-odd mile jaunt around Cambridgeshire starting and ending at Peterborough... Looking forward to that one immensely :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon » 18 Feb 2018, 17:40

I could almost understand the elation at completing the park run after your dodgy knee problem, but following it up the next day pounding 13 Miles 192 and a half yards on tarmac for 2 hours..and managing a decent selfie at the end . Well that’s worth a David Coleman_esque Extraordinary..... :)

Regards Neil
Current favourite playlist pickled egg jukebox-morse code songs

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 18 Feb 2018, 18:54

NewcastleFalcon wrote:
18 Feb 2018, 17:40
Well that’s worth a David Coleman_esque Extraordinary..... :)

Thanks Neil :D Loved the video clip! I love Kryten - very definitely my very favourite Red Dwarf character :)

Perhaps I shouln't let on that in addition to running I cycled a good few miles to and from the run venue as I couldn't be bothered to face the aggro of driving there, fighting for a parking space and then paying a lot of money for same :twisted:

Instead I spent a bit on a celebratory latte at the end of the run and as a special treat one made of full-strength caffeinated coffee and full-fat milk!

I seem to have survived it :D
Jim

Hell Razor5543
NOT Alistair or Simon
My Cars: C5 Mk1 VTR estate, Icelandic Grey (I think she is called "Bluebird")

Post by Hell Razor5543 » 18 Feb 2018, 19:49

The other forum I am a member of has the ability to somehow have several pictures as a slideshow for the Avatar. Jim, I think (with the rate you are updating it) you need to see if that would be viable for your Avatar here. The post by Para Handy is an example of such (and that of Patrick_68000 is an even better one);

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthrea ... nding-pads!

Well done, by the way. If I had joined in you would have found me in a collapsed heap steaming about 1/2 mile in!
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX

C5 VTR HDi estate, 76518762
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!

Zelandeth
Donor 2016
1975 AC Model-70
1985 Sinclair C5

Post by Zelandeth » 18 Feb 2018, 21:13

Well done Jim!

Hoping I can get back to being productive tomorrow - my own health gremlins have meant I've been pretty much useless today practically.
Current fleet:

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 19 Feb 2018, 06:31

Hell Razor5543 wrote:
18 Feb 2018, 19:49
The other forum I am a member of has the ability to somehow have several pictures as a slideshow for the Avatar.
James, that's neat :) I like it! Mind you, I won't be changing my Avatar now for a while... Promise ;)
Hell Razor5543 wrote:
18 Feb 2018, 19:49
f I had joined in you would have found me in a collapsed heap steaming about 1/2 mile in!

Nah, If I can, anyone can run a half James... It just a case of practice and training - that's all... Give yourself a year of training and weekly parkruns and you'd be faster than me ;)

Zelandeth wrote:
18 Feb 2018, 21:13
Hoping I can get back to being productive tomorrow - my own health gremlins have meant I've been pretty much useless today practically.
Zel, very much hoping so... [-o<

And that all those gremlins make themselves scarce for a some good time very soon...
Jim