Citrojim's Ka, Saxo and Bike Tales

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

Michel

Re: Citrojim's Ka, Skoda, Saxo and Bike Tales

Post by Michel » 30 Jan 2018, 21:08

Stickyfinger wrote:
30 Jan 2018, 19:45

Dunno what that is but I expect Zel would swap one of his good cars for it..

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 31 Jan 2018, 06:30

Stickyfinger wrote:
30 Jan 2018, 19:45
Ka in 8 months :)

Just MoT it Jim and sell quick.

:rofl2:
Michel wrote:
30 Jan 2018, 21:08

Dunno what that is but I expect Zel would swap one of his good cars for it..
:rofl2:

Never have I laughed so much a 5:30 in the morning - ever :-D

I bet Zel would not swap his Activa though ;)

And I won't be selling the Ka any time soon either :) She's got under my skin...

Hell Razor5543
NOT Alistair or Simon

Post by Hell Razor5543 » 31 Jan 2018, 09:49

Well, as blood contains quite a bit of ferrous materials (in the haemoglobin) an extra bit of rust won't hurt you much!

RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW » 31 Jan 2018, 13:29

I see from the MOT site you scored a full house on the KA, Jim - welding required on all 4 corners!!

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 31 Jan 2018, 13:31

RichardW wrote:
31 Jan 2018, 13:29
I see from the MOT site you scored a full house on the KA, Jim - welding required on all 4 corners!!

Jackpot I reckon Richard :lol:

The corners might be bad but the bits between them are OK ;)

Zelandeth
Donor 2016

Post by Zelandeth » 31 Jan 2018, 14:44

Have to admit to having a great deal of curiosity as to what bits of how many things are in that pile of scrap...

Activa ain't going anywhere just now! Having travelled a fair chunk of the length of the country in it over the last weekend has only confirmed to me what a great car it is. Even if it does now desperately need a wash again.

Biggest challenge here really is physical space. The fact that the 107 has to be parked on the street is a big part of why it's moving on. The inbound project being able to comfortably fit in the garage was an important factor! Especially given that opens up the chance of working on the thing even if the weather is horrible. I hate to think how much time I've wasted over the years waiting for decent weather to do stuff on the cars!

Four bits needing welded ain't necessarily the end of the world of the car's generally in good order and the bits needing sorted are easy enough to get to. Still remember one of my cars in years gone by getting a fail sheet as long as my arm for welding - and it all related to different issues surrounding the one rotten sill. Few hours of cutting the old one off and welding a replacement panel on resolved it.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 31 Jan 2018, 18:16

Zelandeth wrote:
31 Jan 2018, 14:44
Activa ain't going anywhere just now! Having travelled a fair chunk of the length of the country in it over the last weekend has only confirmed to me what a great car it is.
I thought as much Zel :) Delighted to hear it too!
Zelandeth wrote:
31 Jan 2018, 14:44
Four bits needing welded ain't necessarily the end of the world of the car's generally in good order and the bits needing sorted are easy enough to get to.

Indeed, I've stripped the interior out of the Ka today and removed the front bumper and arch liners ready for Steve to do sparky things to her...

The rust really is quite minor...

I was amazed at just how easily she came apart... 90 minutes from start to end to remove the interior complete and remove the front bumper/arch liners...

And that included a short drive of a newish Vauxhall Insignia as it was blocking in my neighbours baby Skoda and she cannot drive the Insignia... Her husband couldn't as he's laid very low with 'flu at the moment...

The Insignia is like driving a spaceship - it took me a few moments to work out how to release the parking brake :roll: :lol:

Side and rear visibility is bloody terrible... Good job it has a snazzy reversing camera... To be honest, if that's modern cars you can sick 'em up where the sun don't shine :twisted:

Back to the Ka... This is the state of the interior now:
kainteriorout.jpg
Own Work
This is a typical example of the rust affecting the front floorpans:
kafloorpanrust1.jpg
Own work
The opposite side is almost identical...

The rear rust is on the inner sills right up by the suspension mounts and about the size of a penny... The suspension arms have to be dropped to get at it but again, on a Ka, that's easy...

The front bumper is so easy to remove it's unbelievable...

Jodie now looks like this:
kabumperoff.jpg
Own Work
Not too dissimilar to the picture posted earlier of the pile of scrap :lol:

Sharp eyes may spot the Vauxhall Insignia too...

I've now just got to do a bit of grinding back, pop the driver's seat back in temporarily and she's ready... With any luck she'll have a new MoT by the end of next week :)

Then, before she goes back together I'll get busy with the rust-proofing and giving the interior a good spruce-up... I know if I don 't then it'll be the same game again next year... I can see why the Ka dissolves like a 70s Fiat - they have very little rust-proofing applied to them :( No wonder you see so few left now...

Maybe if I preserve it it'll be come a rare and sought-after classic in a few years due to extreme rarity!

Oh, and I'm now 43p richer :) That was the sum total of coins I found under the carpets...

I've really enjoyed today... I don't think the enjoyment of playing around with old cars will ever end for me even if my ability to do a lot of the more involves stuff is now a bit limited...

NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon » 31 Jan 2018, 18:58

I've now just got to do a bit of grinding back, pop the driver's seat back in temporarily and she's ready... With any luck she'll have a new MoT by the end of next week :)
I was wondering how you proposed to get it to the garage :-D Maybe better clag a numberplate on just in case the MK Police have nothing better to do, and turn it into a very expensive drive to the garage!

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 31 Jan 2018, 19:00, edited 1 time in total.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 31 Jan 2018, 19:00

NewcastleFalcon wrote:
31 Jan 2018, 18:58
I was wondering how you proposed to get it to the garage?

Luckily, the garage is only a swallow's flight away Neil, just at the end of my road in fact... 500 yards if that :)

I could almost push the Ka there :lol:

Hell Razor5543
NOT Alistair or Simon

Post by Hell Razor5543 » 31 Jan 2018, 19:07

If push comes to shove I should have my C5 back after having her clutch and rear brakes replaced, and I have a proper tow rope.

van ordinaire
donor 2017

Post by van ordinaire » 31 Jan 2018, 23:21

Purrleeze don't mention No: plates in the context of MoT's - that still smarts a bit! :wink:

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 01 Feb 2018, 05:29

I will do the usual and stick the front plate in the windscreen ;) just as the Barryboys do after they rip them off on speedhumps in their silly lowered Gulfs and Corsets :twisted:

The chances of being nicked by the old bill in 500 yards from my house to the garage is vanishingly small but I know DVLA patrol the area regularly looking for untaxed cars...

I often see the clamps on naughty cars...

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 01 Feb 2018, 16:54

Sorted the number plate problem :)
karegplate.jpg
Own Work
I've ground out all the rust and made it such that the garage only has to weld and nothing more...

The driver's seat is back in on a temporary basis...

I reversed the car off the drive with no seat fitted. Gosh, a car is hard to drive with no seats! I ended up squatting on a tub of industrial wipes as a makeshift seat :lol:

I also gave the floorplans a good clean up and found a further 5p, a button, a pen and a bit of washing line... It's amazing what ends up under car carpets...

I gave the carpet (one piece in the Ka) a good hoovering...

I'll get her booked for early next week...

Zelandeth
Donor 2016

Post by Zelandeth » 01 Feb 2018, 17:48

That always used to be a good game in the workshop when the seats were out during the full valet we gave most stuff when it came in, if for some reason we needed to move it. Some cars it's easy enough to wedge something in place to act as a seat, some however seem to have floorpans made specifically shaped to prevent that from being possible!

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 01 Feb 2018, 18:35

Zelandeth wrote:
01 Feb 2018, 17:48
some however seem to have floorpans made specifically shaped to prevent that from being possible!

That's the Ka! The floorpan slopes toward the back and has a PTFE-like sound-deadening pad (which doesn't work) stuck exactly where you need to sit... It's like an icy slope to anything you put there to sit on...