Citrojim's Activa, 207 and Bike Tales

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

lexi
My Cars:

Post by lexi » 21 Dec 2009, 22:35

Thanks for the many details Jim. Not changed oil yet mate. Indicated 58k but that does not impress as original oil could be in for 12 yrs :shock: I hope to get the oil in my mitts this week :lol:

The noise is a very fine and smooth whine....almost electronic and changing pitch like something is sliding into place with a quick Zzip. Only in cold after allowing a brief warm up........and not every time. No noise in reverse when moving.

When you think about it Jim: For enthuisiasts the answer seems to be get the engine out and change that filter pan and all fluid? It`s just like changing a clutch on a Vauxhall or many other engine out cars to do clutch.

Not that I`m saying it`s easy or that I will do it in this weather :lol: But it`s food for thought if a car is being kept long term. What I`m thinking is you can stick the £80 of oil through it with two droppings of sump and if filter is full it aint made any difference. Suppose at 80 quid you gotta take a shot at this . Yeah I think so.
0 x
Citroen C5 HDI 110 Mk 1 hatchback

French Mistresses gone.
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2

KP
My Cars:

Post by KP » 21 Dec 2009, 22:39

Well i would happily give more to the FCF fund if we could maybe get a lockup somewhere to put panels and such like that are in good nick. Obviously something garage sized where an old carpet could be put on the floor and up some of the walls to protect panels would be needed but for wings, bumpers, bonnets and tailgates i think it would be worth it if a cheap enough one were found?

I'd love a new bonnet sprayed up to get rid of my stone chips but i just couldn't afford the paint job at the minute as it would need blending into the wings im sure :(
0 x
1996 Activa with Leather(S2!) AC & Sunroof PALLAS'd
XM 2.5td VSX Estate green 220k running Veg&stuff

lexi
My Cars:

Post by lexi » 21 Dec 2009, 22:48

No use Kp......Jim would fill it with auto boxes and Esso fluid :lol: :lol:
0 x
Citroen C5 HDI 110 Mk 1 hatchback

French Mistresses gone.
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2

admiral51
My Cars:

Post by admiral51 » 21 Dec 2009, 23:03

Does it have to be a lockup/garage :idea: :idea:

How about a shipping container,they come in different sizes,standard sizes are mostly 8' wide and range from 8,10,12,16,20,21,24' long.

We could buy/rent one and have it delivered to a specific location.they tend to be lorry mounted crane offloaded but i know someone who drives one of those :wink: :wink: or why not look at secure storage firms,most of these are container storage.

Not sure on weekly hire on self storage rates but i know if you shop around you can get the hire of a 20'x8' container @ £10 pw + delivery and collection charge but the latter 2 items could be negated :wink: :wink:

To buy what the industry calls a 1 tripper 20'x8' box(brand new box gets loaded and shipped once and then sold when empty) you are looking at anything from £1000-£1200 upwards plus delivery + VAT but you would also need the space to leave it in

Just a thought .........

Colin
0 x
C5(III) 1.6 110 HDi 2008 Never let me down what a car :)

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: 2003 C5 2.0 HDi 110 SX 219,600

Post by myglaren » 21 Dec 2009, 23:45

My son in law bought a container for £100, full of crap that he slowly dug his way through until he eventually discovered an MGB at the back :)

He told me yesterday that the back box I bought for the C5 two years ago is still in his container - never got fitted as it turned out to be the pipe just ahead of the box that was blowing. Nice to know when the current one goes :)
0 x

Jackie Evancho

KP
My Cars:

Post by KP » 22 Dec 2009, 22:25

I think that is where we would run into problems as we would need somewhere happy to keep said container and also to allow access to it, and maybe have some power going to it for a few strip lights down the top edges as once you get a few foot in htye can be very dark and hard to find things as they get filled and then we would need to buy shelving or suchlike for some items. i for one don't mind donating the mk2 xantia spares i have still got :)
0 x
1996 Activa with Leather(S2!) AC & Sunroof PALLAS'd
XM 2.5td VSX Estate green 220k running Veg&stuff

vince
My Cars:

Post by vince » 24 Dec 2009, 00:24

CitroJim wrote:I'm shocked to the corre that we have not been crushed in the stampede for the lovely leather interior :o

The MK2 leather goes straight into a MK1 doesnt it Jim / Richard?

If it does, its such a shame that i dont have the means to pay for it and have it transplanted into mine...Id love leather :roll: :cry:
0 x
1993 Citroen xm 2.1td, silver/grey, bowling ball wheel trims, 210k and climbing...

DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG » 24 Dec 2009, 00:41

Yes it does although you do need the rear belt clips (I removed them on Saturday :wink: ) have a word with Santa :lol:
0 x
14 BMW 535D Tourer
11 BMW F25 X3 3.0D Sport
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: A red Xantia Activa, a pretty blue Pug 207, a Giant TCR Bike and a Giant TCR Pro Bike.

Post by CitroJim » 25 Dec 2009, 11:34

DickieG wrote: have a word with Santa :lol:

If Santa has any sense he will have heated Xantia seats in his sleigh already I expect :lol:

Vince, if you really want them, I'm sure we can come to some sort of arrangement between us all. Bank of FCF may be able to help with easy terms repayments; you know, like the catalogues do: £10 pounds down and pay a tenner a week for the next 84 weeks at an interest rate of 260%

You get your leathers and the forum hosting fund goes into very healthy profit!

Seriously though, have a think about it. I was joking about the interest rate. For you we'll do a special rate of 150%....

Ahh, sot hat's Christmas done and dusted. Thank goodness. I'm not the world's greatest fan of Christmas and I'm genuinely glad when Boxing day comes and we can look forward to 364 Christmas-free days :twisted:

New year is much more significant to me. The start of a new year, new opportunities and a clean slate. Start anew. Out with the old and in with the new!

2009 has been a hell of a year, mostly really good. This time last year I was negotiating the purchase of a certain V6 with a dead gearbox and really going into unknown territory. 12 months later... Things on the V6 knowledge front are just a bit different...

Personally it's been good too. I was dragged from my comfy, obscure corner at work kicking and screaming into a whole new high-tech world on the bleeding edge. Thoroughly enjoyed it, job satisfaction has gone through the roof :D

So, for 2010 I'm looking for new territory to explore and want to get my hands on an AL4 autobox now. Anybody have one.

It's been a good year for the forums too. The FCF in particular has gone from strength to strength and despite a few teething troubles, the new server is working well and has considerably speeded things up. I'll be looking at upgrading to phpBB3 in the new year.

I'm pleased the weather has warmed up. It's been purgatory this past week as I've been stuck in the house and unable to play spanners or continue breaking the scrap V6 :twisted: As soon as Christmas obligations are out of the way, I'll be out there. I NEED some spanner therapy pretty urgently.

I'm most impressed at how the V6 has behaved in this bad weater. Excellently :D

Still, my enforced trapping indoors has not been without profit. I need to overhaul my websites and in particular get www.xantiav6.co.uk up and running. To this end I've been teaching myself how to do web design properly and getting to grips with the HTML language and using cascading style sheets.

This afternoon I'm going for a little spin in my Activa. It's been buried under snow for the past week :(
0 x
Jim

Please note I do not accept PMs...

Citroenmad
My Cars:

Post by Citroenmad » 25 Dec 2009, 11:45

CitroJim wrote:
This afternoon I'm going for a little spin in my Activa. It's been buried under snow for the past week :(

Have fun Jim, what a nice treat that will be 8)
0 x
Chris
16 C4 Cactus BlueHDi Flair
05 C4 2.0 16v Exclusive
54 Audi A2 FSi SE
51 VW Passat V6 TDi Estate

Family Citroens:
64 C4 Cactus BlueHDi Feel Red
15 C3 Picasso 1.6HDi Exclusive
56 C5 2.0HDi 138 16v VTR Estate
95 C15 6-wheel
55 Traction 6H

vince
My Cars:

Post by vince » 25 Dec 2009, 20:42

CitroJim wrote:
DickieG wrote: have a word with Santa :lol:

Vince, if you really want them, I'm sure we can come to some sort of arrangement between us all. Bank of FCF may be able to help with easy terms repayments; you know, like the catalogues do: £10 pounds down and pay a tenner a week for the next 84 weeks at an interest rate of 260%

You get your leathers and the forum hosting fund goes into very healthy profit!

Jim that is the definition of temptation..... :twisted:

If they are still available at the end of January then i would be more than up for that opportunity :)

I have a hefty £80 parking ticket to clear up first..... :roll: :cry:

See how things go in the next few weeks.....I need to put in some overtime at work to get the place ready for the new year :wink:
0 x
1993 Citroen xm 2.1td, silver/grey, bowling ball wheel trims, 210k and climbing...

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: A red Xantia Activa, a pretty blue Pug 207, a Giant TCR Bike and a Giant TCR Pro Bike.

Post by CitroJim » 25 Dec 2009, 23:03

vince wrote:I have a hefty £80 parking ticket to clear up first..... :roll: :cry:

:cry: Sorry to hear that Vince. Unfortuantely the forum fund cannot help with that but certainly if the interior is still going begging by the end of January, we'll chat again :wink:

It's been a good Christmas day :D Spent a long time with my girls and they were delighted with their presents. Present actually. A laptop each with Windows 7. I'm not a fan of Windows 7 at all. Give me good old XP any day. W7 just looks like a more bloated Vista to me :twisted:

Christmas dinner was courtesy of my long-time friend Val and she did us very proud. She's one seriously good cook 8)

My learning of HTML and CSS has come on apace and the result of a couple of days learning can be seen on the homepage of my website. I guess it's rubbish really in the eyes of those skilled in such matters but I'm rather proud of it as a first attempt. It's even passed W3C CSS validation :D

Now to rewrite all the remaining pages in the same layout and do a write-up on replacing a 206 cambelt.

If the weather is OK tomorrow, I'll be back to breaking the V6.
0 x
Jim

Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers » 25 Dec 2009, 23:16

CitroJim wrote:I'm not a fan of Windows 7 at all. Give me good old XP any day. W7 just looks like a more bloated Vista to me :twisted:

I have to agree Jim, I'd downloaded the RC of it, discovered there was no Classic Start Menu, turned off the virtual machine and haven't been back.
Unfortunately our London client has a W2K8 RDS (TS) server which gives users the Windows 7 interface.
It makes supporting it a real PITA (scuse my french), and worst of all it's blocking websites etc that it shouldn't and preventing Java running too which is causing problems that I really could do without.

The Tube is full of "I'm a PC and Windows 7 was my idea" posters and I'm so tempted to deface them!

Actually, you know the new ones on TV where MS ship someone over to a manufacturer to give their stuff the thumbs up, I'd love to be on one of those, go to set classic start menu, scream in disgust, throw the pc to the floor and storm off saying "I'll stick with XP"
Actually the thing that narks me the most is that that despite the underlying OS being much faster and efficient (I've heard people getting better response on their old PCs with Win7 than they had with XP), because of the GUI I actually prefer Vista.
MS have made me say I prefer Vista! Damn them.
0 x
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool

Featch
My Cars:

Post by Featch » 25 Dec 2009, 23:21

Just opened your new homepage in Firefox and it didn't load properly. The photographs are sitting on top of the text.
If I open it in an IE tab it loads perfectly.
I've no idea why or if it's just my 'puter (not an issue I've seen before) or what, but just thought I'd let you know.
Otherwise excellent site!!!

Andy
0 x
Citroenless at the moment. CX or GS that is my dilemma!
2011 Volvo V70 D3
85 Mercedes 805d Campervan (Betsy))

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 25 Dec 2009, 23:53

Thanks Andy :D I checked it in IE and Opera but not FirePox. I will do so and then make the necessary corrections.

I've read about how different browsers render slightly differently. There is no totally agreed standard for HTML :twisted:
0 x
Jim