Citrojim's Ka, Saxo and Bike Tales

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

Hell Razor5543
NOT Alistair or Simon

Re: Citrojim's Skoda, Saxo, 207 and Bike Tales

Post by Hell Razor5543 » 18 Dec 2017, 09:42

Michel wrote:
18 Dec 2017, 09:36
CitroJim wrote:
18 Dec 2017, 05:16
Michel wrote:
17 Dec 2017, 22:20
I'm vaguely tempted to join you on the ride but I'm not sure I know enough people to raise the required amount! That, and it would mean being sociable for more than an hour!

It would mean you'd need to be sociable for at least four days Mike ;) :lol:

My brain would melt! I shall stick to living the experience vicariously through you and donating..

I have heard that you are very social to female family members who are siblings of your parents.
Spoiler: show
VERY auntie social!
:D
Last edited by Hell Razor5543 on 18 Dec 2017, 13:44, edited 1 time in total.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 18 Dec 2017, 09:48

Michel wrote:
18 Dec 2017, 09:36
CitroJim wrote:
18 Dec 2017, 05:16
Michel wrote:
17 Dec 2017, 22:20
I'm vaguely tempted to join you on the ride but I'm not sure I know enough people to raise the required amount! That, and it would mean being sociable for more than an hour!

It would mean you'd need to be sociable for at least four days Mike ;) :lol:

My brain would melt! I shall stick to living the experience vicariously through you and donating..

Donation will be most welcome Mike... Nearer the time I'll be getting that side of things sorted out...

I'm likely now, after a lot of deliberation, unless I have experienced company to ride with on the way home, to travel home by train all the way from Amsterdam to Milton Keynes... The trip includes free bike return so I can travel easily to Milton Keynes station and then run home from there...

If you book well ahead, the cost of the train is not much more than flying SleazyJet into Luton and for me, a far more preferable way to travel... Plus Luton is a bit too far for me to run home ;)

xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Post by xantia_v6 » 18 Dec 2017, 10:50

CitroJim wrote:
17 Dec 2017, 15:38

And finally, I've entered a MK to Amsterdam and back bike ride today. It will take place in late June and is again a fund raising event for the same hospice..

I was looking for a big cycling challenge in 2018 and now I've found it :) can't wait to get cracking on it...

https://www.willen-hospice.org.uk/get-i ... -challenge

Anyone fancy joining me and making a gentle, social holiday-type return journey through Belgium and France?

You (and any companions) are welcome to return via chez-nous in Beaune. I think that I can invent a suitable itinerary (including a few very good technical museums).

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 18 Dec 2017, 13:11

xantia_v6 wrote:
18 Dec 2017, 10:50
CitroJim wrote:
17 Dec 2017, 15:38

And finally, I've entered a MK to Amsterdam and back bike ride today. It will take place in late June and is again a fund raising event for the same hospice..

I was looking for a big cycling challenge in 2018 and now I've found it :) can't wait to get cracking on it...

https://www.willen-hospice.org.uk/get-i ... -challenge

Anyone fancy joining me and making a gentle, social holiday-type return journey through Belgium and France?

You (and any companions) are welcome to return via chez-nous in Beaune. I think that I can invent a suitable itinerary (including a few very good technical museums).

Mike, that would be brilliant and I'd love to take you up on that offer please :) I can get a train down to you from Amsterdam... It'll make a brilliant holiday!

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 18 Dec 2017, 18:46

Fired-up the Skoda this afternoon... It's been a while...

After priming her fuel system via the little lever on the side of the fuel pump she started on the button :)

Hoping the weather will soon be good enough to start getting some jobs done on her and to get the new fuel pump into Sally the Saxo...

xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Post by xantia_v6 » 18 Dec 2017, 21:52

CitroJim wrote:
18 Dec 2017, 13:11
xantia_v6 wrote:
18 Dec 2017, 10:50

Mike, that would be brilliant and I'd love to take you up on that offer please :) I can get a train down to you from Amsterdam... It'll make a brilliant holiday!

I would suggest that you get a train from Amsterdam to Freiburg (there is a direct DB express), then I can meet you at the station and we can hop across the border to Mulhouse and spend the afternoon at either http://www.citedutrain.com/?lang=en or http://citedelautomobile.com/en .

If your itinerary allows, we could overnight nearby, and do the other the following day, then back to Beaune, for a day or two of well earned rest. There are at least 3 other good museums to visit as a day trip, but we will see how your stamina is.

Michel

Post by Michel » 19 Dec 2017, 00:55

We stopped over in Beaune on our way down to the South Coast last May, it's a lovely place. So nice, we stopped there on the way back too!

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 19 Dec 2017, 05:55

xantia_v6 wrote:
18 Dec 2017, 21:52

I would suggest that you get a train from Amsterdam to Freiburg (there is a direct DB express), then I can meet you at the station and we can hop across the border to Mulhouse and spend the afternoon at either http://www.citedutrain.com/?lang=en or http://citedelautomobile.com/en .

If your itinerary allows, we could overnight nearby, and do the other the following day, then back to Beaune, for a day or two of well earned rest. There are at least 3 other good museums to visit as a day trip, but we will see how your stamina is.

Excellent :) This just gets better and better Mike :) Big smiles here!!!

RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW » 21 Dec 2017, 08:46

How's your CD player repair going, Jim?

Got mine working again last night - I think the belt is a bit too long really, but it works OK for now. Having not used it for over 2 years whilst building work was going on, had forgotten how good it sounds :-D We have a Bose Soundlink Mini which produces an amazing sound from such a small device, but it is not a patch on the 'proper' hi fi. I need a lead to connect the phone headphone jack to the HiFi so we can stream music via it.... :lol:

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 21 Dec 2017, 17:22

Good news on yours Richard :)

The Philips is not fully fixed yet. The demod IC looks to be faulty and a replacement will be on order in the New Year. In between other stuff I've also started to look at Zel's Sanyo but having no joy in finding a manual for it apart from one site that looks decidedly dodgy and wants credit card payments...

Zelandeth
Donor 2016

Post by Zelandeth » 21 Dec 2017, 23:27

Yeah, I read it may be back to old school reverse engineering for the Sanyo. I know that deck did appear as a few different models only differing in paint colour and the graphics on the control panel - but had no luck finding any manuals for any of those either.

Given there's quite a specific fault condition I think it may make sense to just work backwards from the spindle motor which is going bananas (at least I think it is!) and see where that goes. My gut feeling is that its control transistor has gone short or something has gone awry in its drive circuitry. Hopefully that will have all its gubbins on one discrete PCB if we're lucky! ...no doubt the sucker will be the one which requires the entire thing to come to bits to get at.

My logic there is that it's getting to the age where tin whisker syndrome may be an issue now, and that this is something which has happened in storage - it was working perfectly before getting boxed up for the house move. It also wasn't abused during the move - I value my hifi so I personally wrangled those boxes, and when most of my life was in a storage locker in Banbury, they were in my hotel room!

Bose Soundlink products are ridiculously clever bits of audio witchcraft. I've got the Soundlink Colour, which is the big brother to your one. The sucker can fill a room, even working with really touch things like REM which has a very large sound stage as they tend to be quite losely micced. Jim has heard it in action so will vouch for it defying all logic.

xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Post by xantia_v6 » 22 Dec 2017, 05:54

We have a SoundLink Colour, and also a couple of SoundDocks (series 1 and 2). In our opinions the SoundLinkColour is a big regression from the sound of the earlier devices.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 22 Dec 2017, 06:09

Zel, I found the other decks that use the Sanyo mechanism but like you, no manuals for those either. I did find a few notes about the CD loading problems due to gear failures but yours is fine in that respect. I shall have time for some reverse engineering over the festive period in between starting to prepare Sally for her MoT...

Currently enjoying a short break down in Somerset with a certain well-known V6 Activa and AX owner :)

Had a,good look at the red ZX Volcane.... An excellent project and a cracker of a car...

Just returned from a very moist morning run; good Jo I love running in the rain :)

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 24 Dec 2017, 16:36

After a great 5K run at 05:00 this morning and then cooking a special Christmas vegan moussaka and baking a batch of scones I set to some car work :)

I gave Sally a good check-over for her MoT in January...

I found absolutely nothing that might cause an MoT fail... All looks good but I did find a wear/chafe mark on one of the front wheel tyre valves...
cuttyrevalve.jpg
Own Work
I have a feeling it was caused by the wheel trim being incorrectly fitted so that the hoop in the annular wire did not properly loop around the valve...

When fitted properly the wire is a long way from the valve...

I'll have a new valve fitted in the next few days...

In my continuing hunt for the cause of the poor running shortly after a half-hot start which clears with a switch off and on of the ignition, I swapped the fuel pump...

It's quite a straightforward job but it is made a little hard by the access hole under the back seat only just being big enough... I did the job and then realised I'd not recovered the rubber tank seal from the old pump and fitted it to the new one so I had to do the job almost all over again :twisted:
newfuelpump.jpg
Own Work
I also dropped one of the pipe clips in the tank and had to dip my hand in and fish it out :lol:

Needless to say, it's not fixed the issue :(

But... Watching ELIT live data I note that when the fault is present the mixture goes very weak - signified by the oxygen sensor signal being static at around 0.1V... The ECU makes no attempt to richen it up.

However, switching off and immediately restarting restores normal operation and mixture regulation then works normally and the oxygen sensor signal nicely swings between 0.9V and 0.1V...

Given the mixture went so weak when the fault was apparent made the pump a good suspect but at least that's another suspect off the list...

The ECU still throws an intermittent throttle pot fault when the fault occurs - but why when the engine is started from half-hot and not stone-cold?

I now need to acquire a throttle pot (preferably attached to a throttle body) as apart from that and the ECU itself there's nothing else left!

One happy thing was being able to listen to Radio Caroline on 648KHz Medium Wave whilst doing the work... Caroline is now broadcasting full-time on Medium Wave from the MV Ross Revenge parked just off the east coast around the Essex/Suffolk area and is playing some cracking music... As she always used to do back in her later pirate days...

It only took her 50 years to go legal on the wireless! Shame she's only allowed to radiate 10Kw of transmitter power.

648KHz is the old BBC World Service frequency that used to be transmitted from Orford Ness. Now if only Caroline could use that transmitter... That one was 500Kw I believe :)

myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren » 24 Dec 2017, 17:09

On the internet too Jim
https://tunein.com/radio/Radio-Caroline-s10517/

I remember listening when it launched but haven't thought of it for years (decades actually)