Citrojim's Ka, Saxo and Bike Tales

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Re: Citrojim's Skoda, Saxo, 207 and Bike Tales

Post by CitroJim » 13 Dec 2017, 15:23

The eye signal looks perfect Simon as does the HFD signal - the one that detects problems on the disc...

Manually slowing the disc does indeed elicit the expected response on the HFD signal and results in a mute...

The derived mute line that mutes down the audio also works entirely as it should...

Also, the next and previous functions work fine as does pause... All the timing signals look good and I can dee the demodulator PLL locking and the VCO working as expected...

I'm suspecting a problem with the Error Corrector and that's my next line of enquiry...

It certainly is an interesting one one but great for learning about how they work...

I will report soonest...

RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW » 13 Dec 2017, 23:23

And I thought I was doing well replacing the belt for the disc load drive on ours.... :rofl2:

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 14 Dec 2017, 06:46

RichardW wrote:
13 Dec 2017, 23:23
And I thought I was doing well replacing the belt for the disc load drive on ours.... :rofl2:

Knowing how fiendishly complicated it can be to get inside some modern ones that's an achievement Richard; most modern stuff is not amenable to repair sadly..

Luckily, this 30+ year old player is... No more progress as I was too brain-dead yesterday after work. I only have about three hours a day when I'm blessed with reasonably clear thought and cognition; then the fog descends and remains...

Hopefully more progress today...

RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW » 14 Dec 2017, 09:01

It took me rather a long time to figure out how to manually release the tray - there isn't any obvious latch, eventually solved by rotating the gear wheel, which firstly winds down the disc clamp, and then puts the tray out. not figured out how to get the tray back in with the drive in the correct alignment, but it can't be that hard can it!?! New belt was 63p from CSC - except that for orders <£5 there is a £2.50 handling charge :roll: and I'm not sure I've got the right one yet :lol: Ours is relatively modern TEAC Reference 300 - but realised it is now nearly 20 years old - we got it before we got married in 2000.... :shock:

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 14 Dec 2017, 09:19

If you manually would out the tray it'll realign itself automatically when it next powers up.. The mechanisms are quite rugged and designed to cope with all kinds of anomalies from jammed/stuck discs and power fails with the tray half-in or out...

Or manually wind it back in...

That's a nice looking CD Player Richard and well worth a bit of maintenance :)

Simon, I studied how EFM (Eight to Fourteen Modulation) encoding works... Very clever and in the case of a thing such a CD which can suffer all kinds of calamities that can corrupt the data it makes a lot of sense...

The brain is quite good today so more work on the CD player later today...

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 14 Dec 2017, 18:28

No work done on the CD Player today - or anything else for that matter...

The weather down here has been so lovely I went for a really gorgeous 32 mile bike ride :) It was cold and windy but beautifully sunny... Almost perfect for a good ride...

That completed an excellent triplet of physical training today :) Earlier I'd ran 5Km and then swam just over a mile (50 lengths of our pool)...

The only small downside was I picked up a puncture in my front tyre, maybe as a result of two instances of farmers butchering hedges today.

The tyre that punctured was old OE one from a previous bike of mine and not a fully puncture-proof one - only nominally puncture-resistant...

Luckily, the puncture was a relatively slow one and with two pump-ups I just made it home...

I had to wash the bike before I could properly fix it as it was filthy...

I fixed the puncture by replacing tyre and tube - no mucking around with patches for me - and fitting a nice new Conti 'Gatorskin' I'm not too keen on punctures and try to take all reasonable precautions to avoid them as far as is possible...

I did the job in my nice warm and cosy winter workshop :)
bikerepairs.jpg
Own Work
And finally today, I walked up to the town and finished off my Christmas shopping :) All done!

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 17 Dec 2017, 15:38

It's been a fun morning :)

I ran our annual Santa Dash and thoroughly enjoyed it.. It's a fun run in support of our local hospice and it has to be run wearing a full Santa outfit :)

I ran to the event and back and gave a lot of people a great deal of pleasure and raised a lot of smiles amongst the good people of Newport Pagnell - I think the last thing they expected was to see a Santa out running on a wet Sunday Morning...

Many hundreds of Santas ran and here's just a few...
santadash.jpg
Own Work
I also adopted Suzy the Swan today in support of the hospice ;)

Here she is...
suzyswan.jpg
Own Work
And finally, I've entered a MK to Amsterdam and back bike ride today. It will take place in late June and is again a fund raising event for the same hospice..

I was looking for a big cycling challenge in 2018 and now I've found it :) can't wait to get cracking on it...

https://www.willen-hospice.org.uk/get-i ... -challenge

Anyone fancy joining me and making a gentle, social holiday-type return journey through Belgium and France?

I should add that I do a lot of fund-raising for this hospice and have for a long while... It's our local one and they do a sterling job of caring for those who sadly have reached the end of their lives for whatever reason... I'm staggered that all of their running costs comes from fund-raising; they get no help from government at all and they need to raise something approaching a tenner per minute every day of the year just to keep going...

bobins
Donor 2016

Post by bobins » 17 Dec 2017, 16:12

CitroJim wrote:
17 Dec 2017, 15:38

And finally, I've entered a MK to Amsterdam and back bike ride today. It will take place in late June and is again a fund raising event for the same hospice..

I was looking for a big cycling challenge in 2018 and now I've found it :) can't wait to get cracking on it...

You'll be needing one of these to cross the water then :lol:
floating bike.jpg
Floating bike - BBC fair use

Hell Razor5543
NOT Alistair or Simon

Post by Hell Razor5543 » 17 Dec 2017, 16:24

When I was in Lymington last Sunday there was a Santa dash planned. I saw more Santas' then people in normal clothing. If I ever decide to take part in such a run I might go dressed as a demon. When people complain I will say "I am dyslexic, and I thought it was a Satan run!". :D

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 17 Dec 2017, 17:48

Hell Razor5543 wrote:
17 Dec 2017, 16:24
When I was in Lymington last Sunday there was a Santa dash planned. I saw more Santas' then people in normal clothing. If I ever decide to take part in such a run I might go dressed as a demon. When people complain I will say "I am dyslexic, and I thought it was a Satan run!". :D

That would be brilliant James :lol: Lots of kids today were dressed up as elves :)
bobins wrote:
17 Dec 2017, 16:12

You'll be needing one of these to cross the water then :lol:
floating bike.jpg
:lol: Love it! That would be perfect for the return journey across the Straits of Dover ;)

Outbound we're booked on the Harwich to the Hook of Holland ferry...

On the return leg I plan to travel by train through the tunnel to get back to Blighty...

Zelandeth
Donor 2016

Post by Zelandeth » 17 Dec 2017, 19:01

For some reason seeing a photo of a park full of people in costumes didn't register as even slightly unusual a situation to me...only thing that eventually triggered my brain to double check the image was that they were all wearing the *same* sort of costumes.

I can forsee a situation where I could quite possibly wind up getting pulled into the occasional bit of fundraising work in future. If so Willen Hospice certainly would be on the list. Even if it's usually Age Concern I think who get most of my money these days on account of their charity store having a large selection of cheap vinyl in usually! Just looked at the shelf in front of me and I reckon a good third of it's come from their shop up in Kiln Farm. Willen Hospice do get some now as I've discovered that their shop in Buckingham has vinyl in... it's also cheap enough that I'll grab stuff that just looks interesting too, which is always good fun.

Michel

Post by Michel » 17 Dec 2017, 22:20

I'm vaguely tempted to join you on the ride but I'm not sure I know enough people to raise the required amount! That, and it would mean being sociable for more than an hour!

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 18 Dec 2017, 05:16

Michel wrote:
17 Dec 2017, 22:20
I'm vaguely tempted to join you on the ride but I'm not sure I know enough people to raise the required amount! That, and it would mean being sociable for more than an hour!

It would mean you'd need to be sociable for at least four days Mike ;) :lol:
Zelandeth wrote:
17 Dec 2017, 19:01
I can forsee a situation where I could quite possibly wind up getting pulled into the occasional bit of fundraising work in future. If so Willen Hospice certainly would be on the list.
Zel, you could always join me in some of the stuff I do for them... I tend to do all the fundraisers that have a bit of energy about them... Their shops are bloody excellent too and Buckingham will definitely be worth a look if it has vinyl... Best for vinyl around here is Oxfam in Olney...

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 18 Dec 2017, 09:29

Just seen, via the Old Skoda Owners group on Facebook, this article recently published by the Daily Telegraph all about the Skoda Estelle...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/classic ... lle-at-40/

It makes very interesting reading and it's positive too :)
Last edited by CitroJim on 18 Dec 2017, 09:44, edited 1 time in total.

Michel

Post by Michel » 18 Dec 2017, 09:36

CitroJim wrote:
18 Dec 2017, 05:16
Michel wrote:
17 Dec 2017, 22:20

It would mean you'd need to be sociable for at least four days Mike ;) :lol:

My brain would melt! I shall stick to living the experience vicariously through you and donating..