Citrojim's Ka, Saxo and Bike Tales

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

daviemck2006
Donor 2016

Re: Citrojim's Skoda, Saxo, 207 and Bike Tales

Post by daviemck2006 » 26 Nov 2017, 18:06

I find that stuff works well on bright red and on black cars, and yes, the black version lol. But it does fade back again within a few weeks. I’ve never found it great on any other colours.

myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren » 26 Nov 2017, 18:20

Sabina

Michel

Post by Michel » 26 Nov 2017, 22:21

My first car..
Attachments
received_1925720834411969.jpeg

Zelandeth
Donor 2016

Post by Zelandeth » 26 Nov 2017, 22:30

They always looked odd to me without the decor strip below the tail lights...

Michel

Post by Michel » 26 Nov 2017, 23:09

Zelandeth wrote:
26 Nov 2017, 22:30
They always looked odd to me without the decor strip below the tail lights...

Mine looked even odder as it had rolled arse-first off a 5ft wall into a river. This is why it was slightly bent at the back end, had a missing bumper and how I learnt how to take the back end apart to replace the engine support crossmember :)

The old man who had it before me left the handbrake off on his drive. He lived near the river..

Zelandeth
Donor 2016

Post by Zelandeth » 27 Nov 2017, 00:27

Says a lot about how tough they actually are though! Having hit a lorry at 55ish in one I can also vouch for that.

Still didn't half hurt a couple of days later mind you.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 27 Nov 2017, 06:46

myglaren wrote:
26 Nov 2017, 18:20
Sabina

Makes her sound like an airline Steve :lol:
Michel wrote:
26 Nov 2017, 23:09
Mine looked even odder as it had rolled arse-first off a 5ft wall into a river. This is why it was slightly bent at the back end, had a missing bumper and how I learnt how to take the back end apart to replace the engine support crossmember :)
Ahh! That explains the lack of a rear bumper 8-)

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 27 Nov 2017, 16:59

Gave Skoda a really good wash today...

It's really made quite a difference... Most of the washing took place in the rain but in truth it's not a bad time to do it...
cleanskoda.jpg
Own Work
Saxo alos got a quick wash too... Alasdair did such a wonderful polish on it the muck just slides off :-D

She's now reversed onto my drive - so the engine bay is nearest the garage - ready for points/plugs/tappets and ignition timing...

I'm also keen to overhaul the petrol pump to see if I can resolve the fuel drain-back... I'll soon see if I can get hold of an overhaul kit...

I checked the Saxo manifold heater today... All is good in that department so that's another suspect eliminated :(

Not many left now :twisted:

The heater relay and the double injection relay both live right underneath the engine ECU...
saxoinjrelays.jpg
Own Work
I did start to polish Skoda but rain stopped play... It almost knew I was polishing :twisted:

Stickyfinger
Donor 2016

Post by Stickyfinger » 27 Nov 2017, 19:13

LOL, anti-rust wax does make a white cars engine bay look rather dirty :)

xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Post by xantia_v6 » 27 Nov 2017, 20:28

Re the Skoda audio, you could just get one of these:
Plenty available, search for 'cassette adapter'. Surprisingly, they usually give better audio quality than playing a tape in the same mechanism, as they don't add tape hiss, and the frequency range is not influenced so much by the head gap dimensions.

You can apparently even get bluetooth versions now.

Zelandeth
Donor 2016

Post by Zelandeth » 27 Nov 2017, 22:24

Stickyfinger wrote:
27 Nov 2017, 19:13
LOL, anti-rust wax does make a white cars engine bay look rather dirty :)

Yes it does, I sprayed a heap of it around the Saab's engine bay when I got it. Looked a right mess, but has definitely kept a lot of the rust at bay.

The tape adaptors do work surprisingly well, though some do rattle. There's one already in the Skoda as I've got a few so left that one with the car.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 28 Nov 2017, 06:33

Zelandeth wrote:
27 Nov 2017, 22:24
The tape adaptors do work surprisingly well, though some do rattle. There's one already in the Skoda as I've got a few so left that one with the car.

Not tried it yet but yesterday up in the loft I found two packs of cassettes, still in their cellophane wrapping...

They came from dad's place and I kept them, I think, for old-times sake...

They'll come in useful now :)

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 03 Dec 2017, 18:05

This week just gone has been one of the roughest I've had in ages :evil: For most of it I was more or less out of action, both physically and especially mentally.

Come Friday evening I was really fed up and low so I made a spur-of-the-moment decision to get away for the weekend and have a complete break...

Everything planned could go and do one - except parkrun pre-event setup - and I ended up at one of my favourite spots - the caravan :)

When I told the owner of the 'van my plans she said... 'Good! The site have just written to me to say the caravan is dirty and needs a wash - will you jet-wash it for me please?'

I did and found two hours of jet-washing a 35' caravan absolutely magically therapeutic... First time I've used a jet-wsher and they're great fun :lol: The caravan now looks immaculate and one of the cleanest on the site :)

Buggering off for the weekend and just dropping everything was the best decision I've ever made... I'm now transformed and back to normal!

Yesterday after jet-washing the caravan I the ran the distance of a half-marathon plus another 10k this morning :)

I then drove over to Sparkford and visited the Haynes Motor Museum Sunday Breakfast Club :)

Here is my Saxo with Alasdair's little AX outside the museum...
twowhiteones.jpg
Own Work
My Saxo averaged just shy of 60mpg for the 353 miles travelled this weekend :) Not bad for a 20 year old car ;)

The exhaust is getting worse and I see the back-box is now starting to break up... later this week I'll have a new system fitted...

The odd half-hot running problems continue but after speaking to a few people today I have picked up some clues for some further research/investigation into the problem...

I've now found the perfect antidote to a long car journey....

As soon as possible after arriving home, go out for a bike ride of preferably one tenth of the distance driven... I did close to that this afternoon and it's rounded off the weekend a treat :)

I'd not been out on my bike for a week and it was good to do so... Like running, I miss cycling badly if I don't do it very regularly...

Zelandeth
Donor 2016

Post by Zelandeth » 03 Dec 2017, 23:17

Glad you did the sensible thing and downed tools and got away for a bit.

Looks like I might a bit scarce for a bit. Close family friend has just started on chemotherapy following a diagnosis of a rare (but hopefully treatable) form of cancer. Poor guy is only a couple of years older than me too. So I'm going to be doing a lot of running them around and trying to help keep their place in order for them.

In happier news, I've dug out my old Philips CD deck for you Jim. You're welcome to use it to assist in getting yours up and going. From what I recall the innards of this should be largely similar to yours, the actual optical assembly etc should be identical.

Also got to have a proper look at my old Sanyo one which is playing up...may bring that over too because I know you'll enjoy a look at it... probably be towards the end of the week though as I'm busy until Thursday I think.

NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon » 04 Dec 2017, 00:43

CitroJim wrote:
03 Dec 2017, 18:05

Buggering off for the weekend and just dropping everything was the best decision I've ever made... I'm now transformed and back to normal!

Pleased to hear it Jim. You may have seen this, but masquerading on the FCF with the flimsiest of French car connections ie my eldest's Clio, I have now a bona fide French Car once more, and as the thread title suggests have joined the "Bargain Basement Club" and quite pleased about it too.

https://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/ ... 84#p559131

Regards Neil