Citrojim's Ka, Saxo and Bike Tales

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Sally the white Saxo, Pixie the Sliver Pixo, a Giant TCR Bike, Giant TCR Pro Bike and a Giant gravel/adventure bike.

Re: Citrojim's Skoda, Saxo, 207 and Bike Tales

Post by CitroJim » 25 Nov 2017, 06:17

RichardW wrote:
24 Nov 2017, 20:27
Running fault is odd - heat soak into the coil perhaps?

Coil has already been swapped with no improvement Richard. Coil is shared with the TCT engine so I had a good spare on the shelf...
Zelandeth wrote:
24 Nov 2017, 21:02

Regarding the Saxo, one thing worth checking is whether the O2 sensor heater supply is present and correct. If not that could cause some odd issues.

Also if you haven't yet, clean the throttle butterfly and surrounding area - it should be clean enough to eat your dinner off. Usually is on TBi cars like this though as it's continually washed by the petrol mist.
Two things I've not done yet Zel... Although looking to the top of the TB it looks quite spotless... I will check again and go a bit deeper...

Good thinking on the Oxygen Sensor heater... I keep overlooking that simple check :oops: I will this afternoon...

Thanks ever so for all the Skoda cooling tips Zel... Yes, on that basis the 'stat definitely needs a bleed hole and at the moment it seems the 'stat is opening and closing like a gulping fish - with no flow past it when closed that behaviour makes complete sense...

I must catch up with you for that gasket before I get to that task ;)
Jim

I am no longer active on this forum but please feel free to follow me on Facebook and Strava :)

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Sally the white Saxo, Pixie the Sliver Pixo, a Giant TCR Bike, Giant TCR Pro Bike and a Giant gravel/adventure bike.

Post by CitroJim » 25 Nov 2017, 15:50

Enjoyed an excellent parkrun this morning.. It was bitterly cold but still did the 5Km in 26 minutes despite being wrapped up like a mummy!

Home again and I checked Sally's oxygen sensor is receiving 12v heating voltage... I was hopeful initially as I spotted the heating voltage goes via a 5A fuse... That was OK and a good healthy 12v is reaching the sensor...

Another thing to tick off...

Onto the Skoda where I have happier news to report ;)

This is the bleed tap for the cooling system...
skodableedvalve.jpg
A job on the list is to clear the vegetation from the boot surrounds and bulkhead!

The paintwork is a bit dull and spotty. I think as a result of the disastrous application of Traffic Film Remover Zel spoke of...

I tried a bit of polish and the difference is amazing!

It's hard to see in this picture but a really deep shine hides under the film of grot :D A good clean and polish is going to make a real difference :)
skodapaint.jpg
I cleaned the windows too as on my last excursion I noticed they were really mucky and grimy and not good to see out of in the dusk... Turns out they too had some nasty greasy film on them, inside and out... Ancient 'Rain X' or similar I suspect but much better now for a clean.

After that I took her out for a decent run and whilst initially the temperature gauge bounced from 60 to 100 degrees and back again quickly and regularly after about 6 miles it all settled down and the gauge remained nailed at just below 80 and just into the green section for the rest of the trip :D

It remained nailed to 80 degrees even when I really gave the engine some beans along the A422 and took her up to over 60mph!

It'll be interesting to see how she behaves from cold on the next run out...

The heater started to put out some serious warmth too, once the temperature gauge got stable ;) So much so that I had to turn it down...

So, it looks like the cooling system is OK and more importantly, that the engine and cylinder head is OK... If it was going to overheat I'd have thought it would during a good 15 mile drive at reasonable pace...

I love the Skoda dash...
skodadash.jpg
I especially love the green bands on the temperature gauge and tacho!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim

I am no longer active on this forum but please feel free to follow me on Facebook and Strava :)

Hell Razor5543
NOT Alistair or Simon
My Cars: C5 Mk1 VTR estate, Icelandic Grey (I think she is called "Bluebird")

Post by Hell Razor5543 » 25 Nov 2017, 17:46

CitroJim wrote:
25 Nov 2017, 15:50
It remained nailed to 80 degrees even when I really gave the engine some beans along the A422 and took her up to over 60mph!

You speed demon, you! If you were a couple of years younger I would be calling you a boy racer!
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX

C5 VTR HDi estate, 76518762
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!

Zelandeth
Donor 2016
My Cars: 1996 Citroen Xantia Activa
1975 AC Model-70
1985 Sinclair C5
1993 Lada Riva 1.5E Estate

Post by Zelandeth » 25 Nov 2017, 17:50

The dash is I have to admit one of my favourite features. Even if the fuel gauge is precisely as much use as a chocolate teapot when actually moving. The little pinpoint warning lights are such a thing from a totally different era too.

Good to hear she's behaved today. The heater always does take a fair while to heat up...not surprising really.

The paintwork does scrub up well, just make sure you wax it well after it's polished or it will oxidise again quite quickly...the joys of essentially 60s paint formulation I guess!
Current fleet:
1996 Citroen Xantia 2.0T Activa. 85 Sinclair C5. 93 Lada Riva 1.5EFi Estate, 75 AC Model 70.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 25 Nov 2017, 17:57

Hell Razor5543 wrote:
25 Nov 2017, 17:46
CitroJim wrote:
25 Nov 2017, 15:50

You speed demon, you! If you were a couple of years younger I would be calling you a boy racer!

:rofl2:
Zelandeth wrote:
25 Nov 2017, 17:50
Even if the fuel gauge is precisely as much use as a chocolate teapot when actually moving.
I've noticed :lol: :twisted: I was going to ask how accurate it is but you've now answered my question Zel!!! Back in the day, all fuel gauges were like that and a lot were very considerably worse...

I shall fill her up soon; just ordered a supply of lead additive too...

Took her out for another run once she'd got stone cold and the same... The temperature gauge bounces around for the first five miles and then settles... You then get good heat :)

She's improving with driving too...

I need a recommendation for the best polish to use... I'm into uncharted waters here...
Jim

Stickyfinger
Donor 2016
My Cars: Citroen C5x7 Exclusive Tourer
Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Daffodil the AX
ZX Volcane 2ltr petrol
V6.Activa donor car

Post by Stickyfinger » 25 Nov 2017, 18:04

Don't bother with polish Jim, just use some of the spray "detailer" for the time being.....I have that all down here, I will cut it, polish it, add a paint sealer and then a carnauba wax all with the machine.
Alasdair
The ACTIVA, as logical as cubed tumble-weed
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 25 Nov 2017, 18:09

Alasdair, that would be brilliant, thank you :) I'd love her to receive the attention of a consummate professional in the art...

Be fun to drive her down to see you too... I shall look forward to that!
Jim

Stickyfinger
Donor 2016
Daffodil the AX
ZX Volcane 2ltr petrol
V6.Activa donor car

Post by Stickyfinger » 25 Nov 2017, 18:13

NP Jim, I would be delighted to get it looking as good as we can make it. (and stop it oxidising again)
Alasdair

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 25 Nov 2017, 19:22

Excellent :D Thank you Alasdair, that really is most appreciated!
Jim

Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
donor 2018
My Cars: 405 naD Est

Post by Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur » 25 Nov 2017, 19:37

CitroJim wrote:
20 Nov 2017, 18:01
I know to my cost, the DVLA are good at loosing stuff sent to them by post...
a couple of years back we had a situation whereby DVLA lost daughter's V5, she chased them up and they denied receipt. She was advised that she'd need to fill in a form and send a cheque for £25 IIRC, which she did.

Weeks later nothing had happened. We chased them up and they advised that the form and the cheque had also been lost

....which I challenged with a Supervisor, because the cheque had been 'cashed', "how could you have not received the V5 but cashed the cheque", said I

I didn't get a satisfactory answer, but the new V5 turned up next day. I was left feeling that there was no 'loss' at all, instead something quite different.

....this was in addition to them also losing my V5 for a change of address at much the same time.
Puxa

Zelandeth
Donor 2016
My Cars: 1996 Citroen Xantia Activa
1975 AC Model-70
1985 Sinclair C5
1993 Lada Riva 1.5E Estate

Post by Zelandeth » 25 Nov 2017, 22:27

I've been all over the shop and always keep coming back to Autoglym products these days. Expensive but they last for ages. The only exception really is cutting compounds where I think the G3 stuff from Farecla (or however it's spelled) is probably better - but I've never managed to track down a reliable local supply. Their stuff is probably superior for machine application, which is something I don't have at home.

She does look great when scrubbed up though, the colour really does almost glow in the right light.

The film on the inside of the windscreen is something you'll find is something that needs to be cleaned off every couple of months...no idea why, but all three Skoda's I've owned have done that.

Imagine the brakes are feeling a good deal better now she's got a few miles done.

See what I was saying about the steering having probably one one the most pleasantly communicative feeling interfaces with the road services I've come across?

I'm probably going to be swinging past your way tomorrow after dropping someone off, will probably be early evening though. I'll drop the thermostat gasket through your letterbox if I actually remember to pick it up - which I give 50% odds at best.

Next task I reckon she will really benefit from will be proper setting of the valve clearances and double checking the timing. I noticed that on the way to the MOT it was possible to get the engine to pink on hard acceleration, and both those things could contribute to that - and won't be helping efficiency or thermal management either.
Current fleet:
1996 Citroen Xantia 2.0T Activa. 85 Sinclair C5. 93 Lada Riva 1.5EFi Estate, 75 AC Model 70.

Stickyfinger
Donor 2016
Daffodil the AX
ZX Volcane 2ltr petrol
V6.Activa donor car

Post by Stickyfinger » 25 Nov 2017, 22:32

Without cutting (off) the oxide all a wax does is "wet" the oxide, this restores the colour for a short while but it soon fades again, a bit like wetting wood rather than French Polishing it.
Alasdair

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 26 Nov 2017, 10:01

Thanks for the polishing advice :) Noted!
Zelandeth wrote:
25 Nov 2017, 22:27
See what I was saying about the steering having probably one one the most pleasantly communicative feeling interfaces with the road services I've come across?
Absolutely and it comes as quite a surprise after years of power steering... It's a long times since I've driven a non-assisted one!
I'm probably going to be swinging past your way tomorrow after dropping someone off, will probably be early evening though. I'll drop the thermostat gasket through your letterbox if I actually remember to pick it up - which I give 50% odds at best.
Do pop in rather than just drop it through the letter box... If the lights are on I'm up, in and welcoming of visitors; if in darkness I'll already have retired to bed!
Next task I reckon she will really benefit from will be proper setting of the valve clearances and double checking the timing. I noticed that on the way to the MOT it was possible to get the engine to pink on hard acceleration, and both those things could contribute to that - and won't be helping efficiency or thermal management either.

Definitely and on the list to do very soon... Used to be a job to do on an almost monthly basis when I owned and ran BMC A-Series engined vehicles ;) Regular attention to tappets, timing and points always seemed to make a big difference to running even if it was just placebo!

Idly reading the Saxo BoL earlier today I've had a thought... I see the inlet manifold has quite a beefy heater on it... I've not physically seen it but it must be as it's fed via its own relay under ECU control direct from the battery... I will check it out later...

Conceivably, just conceivably, it could be causing the issue.. In any case it needs to be eliminated from ongoing enquiries...
Jim

Michel
My Cars: Some terrible ones.

Post by Michel » 26 Nov 2017, 10:22

Stickyfinger wrote:
25 Nov 2017, 18:04
Don't bother with polish Jim, just use some of the spray "detailer" for the time being.....I have that all down here, I will cut it, polish it, add a paint sealer and then a carnauba wax all with the machine.

Is this something you'd do to my Focus if I gave you money? I'd love to have it done properly just the once but I'm never going to get round to buying all the stuff only to use it once or twice..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Drop a gear and disappear.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 26 Nov 2017, 10:27

Red cars are always very satisfying to polish up Mike... They do reveal a lovely deep shine in my experience... Is yours metallic or solid?
Jim