Citrojim's Skoda, Saxo, 207 and Bike Tales

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: An orange Skoda 120, a pretty blue Pug 207, Sally the white Saxo, a Giant TCR Bike and a Giant TCR Pro Bike.

Re: Citrojim's Skoda, Saxo, 207 and Bike Tales

Post by CitroJim » 22 Nov 2017, 05:11

daviemck2006 wrote:
21 Nov 2017, 19:44
Gabbys exhaust is now having a clonk from the rear while she is starting.

She always did that with me but only occasionally Davie... It'll be the exhaust contacting the front anti-roll bar...

A very common Xantia issue..

No worries on the Skoda delay Zel, the Wrestlers often, when they know there's no hurry, do it when they can, especially when they know it's one of mine... Whenever I have them do anything my stock response is 'no rush at all...'

Sally is currently in Skoda's place on the drive and she'll be there all day as I'll be cycling to work today... It's far too nice (for late November) not to...
0x
Jim

Please note I do not accept PMs...

Zelandeth
Donor 2016
My Cars: 09 Peugeot 107 Verve
89 Saab 900i Auto
96 Citroen Xantia Activa
85 Sinclair C5
93 Lada Riva 1.5E Estate

Post by Zelandeth » 22 Nov 2017, 13:20

Glad to report that the Skoda is now safely at its new home with a fresh MOT.
0x
Current fleet:
09 Peugeot 107 Verve. 89 Saab 900i Auto. 1996 Citroen Xantia 2.0T Activa. 85 Sinclair C5. 93 Lada Riva 1.5EFi Estate.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: An orange Skoda 120, a pretty blue Pug 207, Sally the white Saxo, a Giant TCR Bike and a Giant TCR Pro Bike.

Post by CitroJim » 22 Nov 2017, 13:39

Zelandeth wrote:
22 Nov 2017, 13:20
Glad to report that the Skoda is now safely at its new home with a fresh MOT.

Excellent :) Thanks Zel, that's wonderful and really, really appreciated :D Just about to set off on my bike on a very windy day heading for home!
0x
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 22 Nov 2017, 16:15

I could not resist taking Skoda for a little drive along my private test track this afternoon...

I'm amazed at just what a lovely drive she is. She is utterly beautiful to drive and she suits me perfectly... Once I've put her on the road properly it's going to be a real pleasure driving her :D

Having the engine in the back makes for a quiet car :)

I know she's well worth the time and effort I'm going to put into her to make her really lovely :) I'm even more delighted now!

She may be an Eastern-Bloc Communist-era car from an age ago and based on a very old design but she surely doesn't feel like it. Shades of the Citroen GS...
0x
Jim

Zelandeth
Donor 2016
89 Saab 900i Auto
96 Citroen Xantia Activa
85 Sinclair C5
93 Lada Riva 1.5E Estate

Post by Zelandeth » 22 Nov 2017, 16:22

Well said Jim. It's really interesting to compare the Lada to the Skoda. The latter while especially inside looking even more dated, feels like a properly modern car to drive in comparison. The ride puts pretty much anything save for some Citroens to shame - even if the rearward weight bias does make the ride feel a bit odd at first (the front sort of bobs up and down gently with seemingly no regard for what the rest of the car is up to).

The brakes feel poor just now, but I'm sure just cleaning the discs up will sort that out, they should feel pretty sharp really. The handbrake feels like it could stop the rotation of the earth itself though (and indeed throw the car clear off the brake testing rollers)...so that seems to be just fine!
0x
Current fleet:
09 Peugeot 107 Verve. 89 Saab 900i Auto. 1996 Citroen Xantia 2.0T Activa. 85 Sinclair C5. 93 Lada Riva 1.5EFi Estate.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 22 Nov 2017, 17:53

That's right Zel, it feels like a properly modern car! After driving Skoda I immediately drove Saxo and no 'adjustments' if you know what I mean, was required between the two... Speaks volumes as the Saxo really is a really wonderful drive and my small car baseline reference....

Both put the 207 very much in the shade... Shame on PSA that a really modern car is humbled by two oldies :twisted:

I'll look at the front brakes very soon and yes, already noted how good the handbrake is :)
0x
Jim

Zelandeth
Donor 2016
89 Saab 900i Auto
96 Citroen Xantia Activa
85 Sinclair C5
93 Lada Riva 1.5E Estate

Post by Zelandeth » 22 Nov 2017, 18:18

Given you've got a lathe, probably an easy way to clean the discs up right there! Just be aware that the outer race of the wheel bearing resides immediately inside the hub of the disc (they're taper bearings too, so adjustable). Not a problem, so long as you're aware of it.

As far as I can tell, the front brakes have never been apart...which is slightly scary! I decided to utilise the well learned approach of "if it looks horrible but is working perfectly - leave it well alone" when I first got the car.

You really will have to have a quick shot of the Lada in a quiet private testing area sometime so you can compare - it will be blindingly obvious in about 0.32 seconds how much more modern a car the Skoda feels.

You see what I was meaning now though when I said that it was absolutely improbably comfortable for a car that was in such a budget market position though?
0x
Current fleet:

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 22 Nov 2017, 18:24

Zelandeth wrote:
22 Nov 2017, 18:18
You see what I was meaning now though when I said that it was absolutely improbably comfortable for a car that was in such a budget market position though?

Oh yes, most emphatically so...
0x
Jim

demag
Donor 2016
My Cars: "H" Citroen Bx Tgs Automatic.
2004 Citroen C5 Exclusive Estate 2.2 hdi Automatic.

Post by demag » 22 Nov 2017, 21:10

I loved my old Skoda and that was the basic cooking model. Was it the 108? with the small engine. But it was eerily quiet inside with no creaks or growns whatsoever, just a hardly audible whirring noise from the rear.
0x
Dave

'04 C5 auto estate 2.2 hdi.
Bx 1.6 TGS Auto 50k A rare beast by all accounts. A bit tired but getting better by the day.
'96 XM 2.5TD VSX.......Sadly sold. What an idiot! I should have held on to that.

Zelandeth
Donor 2016
89 Saab 900i Auto
96 Citroen Xantia Activa
85 Sinclair C5
93 Lada Riva 1.5E Estate

Post by Zelandeth » 22 Nov 2017, 21:50

demag wrote:
22 Nov 2017, 21:10
I loved my old Skoda and that was the basic cooking model. Was it the 108? with the small engine. But it was eerily quiet inside with no creaks or growns whatsoever, just a hardly audible whirring noise from the rear.

105 was the basic one with the 1.1 engine. 120 was the 1.2, 130 1.3 and 136 for the 1.3 with the 5-port alloy head (135 as above, but with Pierburg single point fuel injection bolted on). Of course within each range you then had a bewildering array of trim level designators which after following these cars for 19 years, I still claim do not claim to know my way fully around!

130 and 136 (possibly also 120, I honestly can't remember) were also offered in "Rapid" or sometimes "Rapide" form - which was a largely hand-built apparently, 2-door coupe version - which I actually reckon was quite the looker. This also had a different dash layout, instrument panel, different choice of seat cloths, different door cards and door cappings to make it seem a bit more special.
newarrival2.jpg
newarrival1.jpg
DSCF1511.JPG
The 130 also came in a special version which was the 130GL...This was essentially a 130 Rapid...But in the conventional 4-door saloon body, topped off with a vinyl roof.

...Then there's the 120LX. This has the semi-trailing arm suspension and rev counter which were normally reserved for the 130 - but has a 1.2 litre engine.

The model range to be totally honest is utterly bewildering.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0x
Current fleet:

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 23 Nov 2017, 10:34

I love the look of the Rapid (Rapide) a lot...

Never realised they were largely hand-built...

I'm trying to resist the urge to tax and inure the Skoda now :twisted:

I know I should really wait until the beginning of the month now as it's only a week away but the tempation is so strong...
0x
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 24 Nov 2017, 19:57

It's been a good day today... This morning was very busy with domestic tasks, shopping (avoiding any Black Friday nonsense) and visiting Robyn for lunch. On my way to Robyn's I popped in and picked up my race pack for the MK Winter Half Marathon in a couple of weeks time.
MKWHracepack.jpg
I'm really looking forward to this run :)

After lunch I was able to play cars :D I must admit, having two new cars and their new challenges I'm mad keen on spannering again... I was really loosing it previously but now it's back!

First up was some more work on Sally the Saxo. Sadly, changing her oxygen sensor has not solved her half-hot running issues so the first job I did today was to swap the coolant temperature sensor...
saxocts.jpg
This has not fixed the problem either but I did catch it happen whilst the ELIT was connected... Nothing looked abnormal when she started running roughly and the only ELIT clue was the raising of an intermittent oxygen sensor fault... Despite the oxygen sensor being brand new...

Switching off briefly and restarting restores normal running and as said, this problem only manifests itself when restarting when the engine is half-hot... A start and run from stone cold does not provoke it and the engine will run perfectly for ever...

It's got me scratching my head... I will crack it ;)

Then I did a bodge on her exhaust. The pipe has cleanly split just about an inch before the back box...

So, until the MOT comes up and I have a new system fitted I did this :)
saxoexbodge.jpg
The repair material is from a Black Treacle tin... Who said sugar was bad for you :lol:

Then I played a little with the Skoda and her cooling system... As Zel has said in the past, her temperature gauge takes quite a lot of excursions between quite hot and fairly cool when under way. Zel has already changed the thermostat...

The Skoda has her rad in the front and is linked to the engine by two large metal pipes that run the length of the car. They in themselves act as a radiator!!! The total cooling system capacity is some 11 litres - that's a lot of coolant for a little 1200cc engine to warm up!

The 'official' bleeding process is exceedingly complex but today I bled it like I'd bleed an XUD engine and determined that coolant is definitely circulating to the rad and back but due to those long pipes and the rad itself being efficient, it takes ages to heat up and get any warm water coming back at all... Eventually I got some warm water back and therefore happy there is a circulation happening...

I bled about a litre of coolant out through the bleed valve near the rad... I really must take a photo of the bleed valve... It's a proper brass tap in a small hose that runs from the top of the rad to I'm not quite sure where just yet!!!

Bad light then stopped play so tomorrow I'll take her out for a decent run and see how the cooling system is behaving...

She really is a lovely car to drive and now she's properly road-legal I can really start to enjoy her... This little car is really going to keep me in fun for some time to come...

Bring it on :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0x
Jim

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: '07 307 SW 1.6 HDi 110
'08 C4 Grand Picasso 1.6 HDi 110

Post by RichardW » 24 Nov 2017, 20:27

That bodge will probably pass the MOT - as long as it's not leaking and is secure, it's a pass!

Running fault is odd - heat soak into the coil perhaps?
0x
Richard W
Still not welding the de-cap...
1.6 HDi central (C4 Picasso / 307 SW)
Xantia HDi 110 now bean tins

Michel
My Cars: 2008 C4 Grand Picasso 1.8 16v VTR - "Pablo" (what else?)
2006 Ford Focus ST 5-cylinder Turbo - "Freddie"
2001 Ford Ka "Jodie"

Giant Defy 2 Road Bike
Carrera Vengeance MTB

Post by Michel » 24 Nov 2017, 20:38

CitroJim wrote:
23 Nov 2017, 10:34
I love the look of the Rapid (Rapide) a lot...

I think they still look so cool. I used to want one a lot when I had my Estelle!
0x
You can race your car, but you can't live in your house.

Zelandeth
Donor 2016
89 Saab 900i Auto
96 Citroen Xantia Activa
85 Sinclair C5
93 Lada Riva 1.5E Estate

Post by Zelandeth » 24 Nov 2017, 21:02

For info Jim, the hose to the one side runs to the upper part of the radiator, other side goes to the top of the heater matrix. I've seen people before replace the single bleed tap with two separate ones which saves having to clamp off hoses and such.

I'd definitely look to modify the thermostat in there to incorporate a bypass hole in it, as I reckon some of the temperature tennis the gauge is currently showing is due to the stat being slow to "see" the temperature change as there's nothing to allow flow over it. The coolant temperature sender for the gauge however is in one of the main water galleries in the head, whereas the thermostat is essentially in a blind alley when closed.

Another common mod (I think there's a guy who even does it for folks at a set cost) is to add a low coolant alarm to the expansion tank. The coolant temperature sender is quite high up in the head, and as such if you have a catastrophic coolant loss, it can show an artificially low temperature for a time until the head gets *really* hot.

The heater supply and return hoses are hidden in the central tunnel in the floor by the way, along with the choke, throttle and handbrake cables and gear linkage. More in there than in most cars!

I had the heater getting properly hot when I was testing the car in a static manner (it's not burning toast hot, but decently warm at least), but as you say the radiator has quite a lot of cooling capacity for a little 1.2 motor...and it takes quite a while for the whole system to reach equilibrium.

Regarding the Saxo, one thing worth checking is whether the O2 sensor heater supply is present and correct. If not that could cause some odd issues.

Also if you haven't yet, clean the throttle butterfly and surrounding area - it should be clean enough to eat your dinner off. Usually is on TBi cars like this though as it's continually washed by the petrol mist.
0x
Current fleet: