Citrojim's Ka, Saxo and Bike Tales

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Re: Citrojim's Skoda, Saxo, 207 and Bike Tales

Post by CitroJim » 18 Nov 2017, 07:07

Zelandeth wrote:
17 Nov 2017, 22:59
Let me guess Jim, it was one of those purple Cranfield University buses that nearly took you out?

No, shockingly, it was a big National Express coach Zel :shock: The sort you see running long-distance along motorways... I guess the coach was on its way to the bus/coach garage (Dawsons) up on Tongwell for maintenance... Likely it was being driven by one of Dawson's employees and not a pukka NE driver...

I know those Cranfield Uni buses well and often have them sweep by very close when I'm out on my bike... I see lots of them in town and must agree, they're not always the most well driven...

I was determined to get to the bottom of that wireless problem and on closely reading the output IC data sheet it was indeed the thing shutting down... It switches on and off rapidly under fault conditions and hence the 'motor-boating' sounds...

It all makes sense now!

xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Post by xantia_v6 » 18 Nov 2017, 21:54

CitroJim wrote:
17 Nov 2017, 09:02
One great disappointment is the lack of any meaningful on-line community for rear-engined Skodas in the UK

You can always start the Communist Car Forum...

lexi
donor 2017

Post by lexi » 18 Nov 2017, 23:38

The Skoda looks to have decent ground clearance Jim? Interesting car and a new project. It's like going fishing in a whole new place.
This is healthy, because you cannot beat "the days of discovery"

Stickyfinger
Donor 2016

Post by Stickyfinger » 18 Nov 2017, 23:42

xantia_v6 wrote:
18 Nov 2017, 21:54
CitroJim wrote:
One great disappointment is the lack of any meaningful on-line community for rear-engined Skodas in the UK

China and North Korea?

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 19 Nov 2017, 06:53

xantia_v6 wrote:
CitroJim wrote:

I may well do just that :)
Stickyfinger wrote:
18 Nov 2017, 23:42
xantia_v6 wrote:
CitroJim wrote:

China and North Korea?
As far as I know, they never enjoyed Skodas (or any other Eastern-Block cars) but I'm intrigued to learn there's a few running around in Australia and New Zealand :)
lexi wrote:
18 Nov 2017, 23:38
The Skoda looks to have decent ground clearance Jim? Interesting car and a new project. It's like going fishing in a whole new place.
This is healthy, because you cannot beat "the days of discovery"
Lexi, spot-on :)

I fired up the Skoda yesterday afternoon and had to re-learn the use of a choke :lol: It was reluctant to start until I remembered Zel telling me the fuel runs back to the tank over time and the system needs manual priming using the lever on the mechanical fuel pump... A few strokes of the priming lever and she fired up instantly and commenced to run like a clock :)

It's a long time since I've had a car with one of these on it:
skodacarb.jpg
Own Work
Boot is roomy too... The black cover conceals the brake servo, clutch master cylinder and hydraulic fluid reservoir...
skodaboot.jpg
Own Work
Side opening bootlid is neat :)

And this is the engine...
skodaengine.jpg
Own Workj
Access is excellent!

lexi
donor 2017

Post by lexi » 19 Nov 2017, 11:11

That is quaint. I bet it has proper suspension and tyres as well. Ie no low profile tyres and jarring on potholes. Is it wishbones and coil sprung?

Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
donor 2018

Re: Citrojim's Activa, Saxo, 207 and Bike Tales

Post by Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur » 19 Nov 2017, 12:49

Zelandeth wrote:
16 Nov 2017, 23:44
It's a very reddish orange. Looks more or less red depending on the light, and is one of those colours that cameras seriously struggle with.
I think its fair to say that the Cutting had an effect on the colour of the car, which could be seen as a 'negative', but similarly fair to say it looks a 100%+ better in the second pic than it did in the first, so 'who cares' about the slight colour change: I only kept it for 6 months in 2008, and never had cause to paint it, so I’ve no idea how close to the factory colour it was in the latter pix / how far away in the former ones.

There are similar ‘after cutting’ photos taken on a different occasion, in a second location where it looks just as good by the way, its not a 'trick', either of the light or has any fancy software been used. Obviously the 'perfect' solution is a complete re-spray but in most cases, that's not practicable.

Michel wrote:
17 Nov 2017, 20:12
ZX looks great! What did you use on the plastic panels? I've got a Grand Picasso with some minor scratches on that I'd like to polish out.
I used Autoglym Bumper & Trim Gel [with the green coloured square, the gel itself is a green colour, too] on the plastics.

Its good stuff, a bit pricey, specially for a tight wad like me who often tries to [and does] cut corners by using ‘unbranded’ stuff

...but like ‘proper’ Jubilee Clips and Heavy Duty Zip Seal bags, this is one of those cases where only the pricey stuff will do [to the best of my knowledge].

Thankfully, I'm still using that same bottle: I treat the exterior Bump Strips and Window Trims [plastics, not rubbers] about every couple of years and the Dashboard, Door Cards & small associated fittings about twice a year... even the steering wheel, VERY sparingly. Many will say to avoid the steering wheel as it can make it slippy, but with a cautious, sparing approach & commonsense you can do that too.

A stranger with a very well presented Vauxhall Corsa (life has taught me that there’s a following for all makes, even Vauxhall Corsa’s) recommended it to me and told me ‘you can buy an Interior Gel too, but don’t bother with that; this stuff will do that too, and is better’. Wipe it on with kitchen roll.

Only caveat is, if you keep it in a cold shed, stick it in a jug of warm water to use as you’ll use loads more than you need and it can elsewise be so thick that, like Ketchup, you'll have a job getting it outta the bottle.

....you may have seen the car Michel, if your memory's good and depending on whereabouts you live in Reading as the car was often parked on a main road in that area, nearly 10 years ago. I still get there, from time to time and am happy to drop by and give an opinion in person on best treatment of the minor scratches in the course of a planned visit (Whitley area) end of this month.... cost is a cuppa, of course ! :-D

Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
donor 2018

Post by Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur » 19 Nov 2017, 12:54

Zelandeth wrote:
16 Nov 2017, 23:44
done by someone who knew what they were doing rather than bolted together by someone with a baseball cap on backwards.
Fabulous!! :rofl2:

Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
donor 2018

Post by Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur » 19 Nov 2017, 12:58

CitroJim wrote:
the realisation of a bit of a latent desire that's been simmering for ever - I've always had a thing for Eastern Block Communist Era cars and this finally realises a desire to own one :)
there's often, at least every second issue I'd say, a decent article in Practical Classics mag on such vehicles, often stuff that you've never heard of, occasionally Skoda's too... do at least have a browse in a well known Stationers when you're passing. Not so in the current issue

What are the plans with the Skoda Jim? Is the rear lights & reg no. panel 'removable' for easy access to the engine, or is that part of the shell? Loadsa room in there anyway? or maybe the engine drops out with the ease I understand used to be associated with the Hillman Imp...but never witnessed. Aware of one of those rotting away btw, in Norfolk, if anyone needs spares - body is shot in an impressive 'lower couple of inches missing' kind of way.

Did you want the address (approximate, I've got a street but no house number) for the Estelle I know of Zel? looks like a daily driver at the mo, you might want to enquire if it should ever be for sale as a spares car (condition appeared poor so thinking a trip to the scrapper won't be far away)?

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 19 Nov 2017, 14:14

Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur wrote:
19 Nov 2017, 12:58
What are the plans with the Skoda Jim?

A slow and gentle rolling restoration back to as near to excellent as I can get. The car is an excellent candidate for this kind of restoration. I'm just going to take it slowly and enjoy the journey; I don't care how long it takes but at the end I want something I'll be really proud to show at a rally...

The work and progress will be documented here even though it's not very French and has nothing in common with plaything French save perhaps the Renault Dauphine and Renault 8/10. They're the only rear-engined French cars i can think of right now...

No work will be done today as I've been busy running :) Today I ran the Milton Keynes Mo Run 10K... A run to raise money and awareness of men's diseases such as prostate and testicular cancers much like the Race For Life does for women's cancers...

https://www.mo-running.com/milton-keynes

It was the perfect day for it. Cold but gloriously sunny :)

My time and route as captured on my Garmin..

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2339746731

I was delighted to come in under the hour :) This was despite great congestion in the first few Km's of the run.. 1500 runners onto narrow footpaths around the parklands of MK is like Monday morning rush-hour on the M25 :lol:

It was great fun and a great morning out. I ran from home to the venue and back as parking was going to be a trial and besides, my car was all iced-up first thing!

A couple of photos..

meatmorun.jpg
morunmedal.jpg
Own Work
Now to rest and replace all those calories burned ;)
Last edited by myglaren on 19 Nov 2017, 16:36, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Lying-down image propped up.

Zelandeth
Donor 2016

Post by Zelandeth » 19 Nov 2017, 15:24

One thing I've always meant to try regarding the fuel drain-down issue was to take the fuel pump apart and clean everything in case one of the valves there isn't sealing perfectly due to a bit of gunk in there.

It's been on the to do list forever, but given how rarely I used the car, the need to manually prime it once a day was never really a huge issue.

Speaking of fuel line, that was my initial plan to make the trip to/from the garage on Tuesday less of a pain - get a bit of narrow bore fuel line and a couple of hose clips and clamp it over the bit where the hard line has rubbed through. It's not a permanent fix by any means, but it may handle a couple of dozen clutch applications, which is all it needs to.
Last edited by Zelandeth on 19 Nov 2017, 15:36, edited 1 time in total.

Hell Razor5543
NOT Alistair or Simon

Post by Hell Razor5543 » 19 Nov 2017, 15:32

Now, if you were to pop around 30 seconds after he read this post I am fairly certain you will find Jim up to his elbows in the fuel system! :D

Zelandeth
Donor 2016

Post by Zelandeth » 19 Nov 2017, 17:21

Hell Razor5543 wrote:
19 Nov 2017, 15:32
Now, if you were to pop around 30 seconds after he read this post I am fairly certain you will find Jim up to his elbows in the fuel system! :D

Wouldn't think there's enough to the system for that!

Though it would probably be sufficient to hear the first question of "why on earth did they do that?" before he was done.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 19 Nov 2017, 18:20

Steve, firstly, thanks for putting me upright!!!
Zelandeth wrote:
19 Nov 2017, 15:24
One thing I've always meant to try regarding the fuel drain-down issue was to take the fuel pump apart and clean everything in case one of the valves there isn't sealing perfectly due to a bit of gunk in there.

That was my thinking Zel and whilst I'm at it I wonder if it might not be a bad idea to replace the diaphragm?
Hell Razor5543 wrote:
19 Nov 2017, 15:32
Nope, been resting and baking after my run today James ;) Truth is, I fell asleep after lunch. It was starting to get dark when I awoke...
Zelandeth wrote:
19 Nov 2017, 17:21
Though it would probably be sufficient to hear the first question of "why on earth did they do that?" before he was done.
I'm already wondering why it has a cast-iron head on an aluminium block :roll: :? I'm sure similar questions will soon arise but maybe not quite so often as when dealing with PSA vehicles!!!

I love the handle on the slam panel to release the spare wheel... I don't wonder why they did that but do think it's a great idea - shame PSA never did the same!!!

Zelandeth
Donor 2016

Post by Zelandeth » 19 Nov 2017, 19:33

The spare wheel holder is a nice bit of design.

I'm still pretty convinced the reuse of the old cast iron head was down to them running out of either time or money when developing the new "all alloy" engine - especially given that we did later see the same block used but with an alloy head. That lived on to be used all the way up to the first generation Fabia I believe.

I think the answer in many cases to why then did downright odd things usually turns out to be because that part happened to be what they had in the parts bin.