Citrojim's Ka, Saxo and Bike Tales

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Re: Citrojim's Activa, Saxo, 207 and Bike Tales

Post by CitroJim » 16 Nov 2017, 17:55

CitroJim wrote:
14 Nov 2017, 18:32
bxzx16v wrote:
14 Nov 2017, 16:51
You shall have music soon Jim [-o< .

Mark

Thanks Mark :D That really is appreciated!

And I do Mark, wireless arrived today :-D Most incredibly quick service I must say both on your part and the post office!

It's a really lovely wireless too... All installed and working a treat even if I did have to read the manual to learn how to work it!!!

It's really appreciated Mark, thank you so much :D Please advise how much I owe you for it... I can't have such a good one for nothing, no way!

In other news, as seen in another blog post, my erstwhile Activa passed her MOT today and has now gone to her new owner :D She may no longer live with me but I shall still see plenty of her and doubtless still wave spanners all over her from time to time - she's not gone far ;)

Meanwhile my new car has taken up residence on my driveway...
orangegremlin.jpg
Own Work
This will be a nice, gentle long-term project and a total change from Xantias, just what I need...

daviemck2006
Donor 2016

Re: Citrojim's Skoda, Saxo, 207 and Bike Tales

Post by daviemck2006 » 16 Nov 2017, 18:32

I used to think that skoda was red, but against its newer stablemate its definately not red!

bxzx16v

Post by bxzx16v » 16 Nov 2017, 18:54

Result on the Activa Mot Jim but with your pampering a certainty. Do worry about the postage Jim it wasn't much , its just good to see the radio go to a good home .

Mark

Stickyfinger
Donor 2016

Post by Stickyfinger » 16 Nov 2017, 19:01

Porker engined conversion Jim ?

Image...

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 16 Nov 2017, 19:10

Stickyfinger wrote:
16 Nov 2017, 19:01
Porker engined conversion Jim ?

Image...

Zel would never forgive me if I do that to her!
bxzx16v wrote:
16 Nov 2017, 18:54
Do worry about the postage Jim it wasn't much , its just good to see the radio go to a good home .
Mark, that's so much appreciated :) Be sure it has come to a very good home indeed...

Stickyfinger
Donor 2016

Post by Stickyfinger » 16 Nov 2017, 20:47

Let him "have a go on it" and he would :)...reported as 0-60 in 4secs

Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
donor 2018

Post by Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur » 16 Nov 2017, 21:57

had a red car that was at least as badly faded as that, if not worse: bought it in the dark...oops!

Cutting Compound (not T-Cut, that's for Pussies, lol!) and polish and the transformation was remarkable. Hard work mind, I did the ZX a panel at a time.

Only ever seen a couple of 2 door 'non-Volcane' ZX's in a number of years since owning it.

Got some nice pix of similar era Rally prepped Skodas at Technoclassica Essen, couple of years back, if you want copies Zel.
Attachments
DSC03769.JPG
DSCF0252.JPG

Zelandeth
Donor 2016

Post by Zelandeth » 16 Nov 2017, 23:44

It's a very reddish orange. Looks more or less red depending on the light, and is one of those colours that cameras seriously struggle with.

Silly Porsche conversions like that are inevitably cheaper to buy than build...and at least over here there are probably more modified examples of the Estelle than standard!

I've driven my fair share of stupidly fast cars thanks to having been friends with someone who had a rather exotic garage and who was of the belief that it was pointless if he didn't share the cars with people...a converted Estelle I don't really see the point of these days. Not when for the same money you could buy something equally electrifying to drive that will actually work properly and had the handling done by someone in a white lab coat who knew what they were doing rather than bolted together by someone with a baseball cap on backwards.

That said, heavily modified vehicles have never really been my thing. Plus performance wise I thought the DeLorean felt more than zippy enough despite half the motoring world calling it sluggish.

I get the impression that 54bhp, squidgy seats and soft suspension are more in keeping with what an Estelle should really be known for though, and more what our Jim wants.

Flat six in that engine bay would be an absolute pig to work on too...

The actual rally spec cars are allowed though, and I salute the few folks who have made a couple of near perfect replicas. Those are allowed to be loud, brash, ridiculous and go everywhere sideways.

demag
Donor 2016

Post by demag » 17 Nov 2017, 02:35

I saw the rally Skoda's on the RAC obviously many years ago. They were fastest in their class and I seem to remember they drove them over from the factory, did the rally then drove them back again. I also remember Michelle Moutand wrestling the fearsome Audi through the mud. The sound was incredible, like someone firing a gun.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 17 Nov 2017, 09:02

Zelandeth wrote:
16 Nov 2017, 23:44
I get the impression that 54bhp, squidgy seats and soft suspension are more in keeping with what an Estelle should really be known for though, and more what our Jim wants.

Yes, precisely :) That and a new spannering challenge along with a well-formed plan to get the Skoda in absolutely first-class order and a good show-car..

I don't enjoy driving at all now but still do very much enjoy spanners and restoration work and for me the Sokda ticks all the boxes...

I can't wait to really get stuck in ;)

This is the realisation of a bit of a latent desire that's been simmering for ever - I've always had a thing for Eastern Block Communist Era cars and this finally realises a desire to own one :)

One great disappointment is the lack of any meaningful on-line community for rear-engined Skodas in the UK but one great delight is the ready availability of parts - arguably much better than for Citroens...

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 17 Nov 2017, 19:26

It's been an interesting day :)

Another round of phone calls to the DVLA seems to have resolved the lost V5C issue. Although it took three calls I must say the DVLA were most helpful and explained the problem rather well; what had happened was more complex and involved than I realised but the upshot is that Zel should have a nice new V5C in his name drop onto his doormat in a few days...

It's a massive relief that is now sorted...

Then, on my way home from Milton Keynes in Sally she and I had a very near miss with a bus deciding to turn right across our path totally oblivious of the fact I was there :twisted: Shaken, I returned home to wash a pair of trouser and the bus driver, I hope, went straight to Specsavers...

It's all academic now but I found the cause of Sally's wireless problems. It was exactly as Alasdair said it was - a duff speaker! Oddly, it did not show up as a problem with the substitute Xantia wireless but occasionally the problem occurred with the posh Pioneer. I had the speaker out and found its connector had become detached from the speaker frame and that allowed the 'pigtails' to the speaker voice coil touch the frame and earth themselves and thereby upsetting and shutting down the radio speaker driver. I fixed it and all is good.

I should have listened to uncle Alasdair in the first place. Chances are the original wireless was never at fault!

I checked over both the Pug of Love and Sally today and both are wanting for nothing. Sally uses no oil or water, looses no air from her tyres and is very frugal on fuel; her fuel gauge lies like mad though... An indicated half a tank is more like a three-quarters full one.

Better that way than the other I guess...

Now I can concentrate on the Skoda :) I am so looking forward to getting cracking on her and making her a lovely car...

Zelandeth
Donor 2016

Post by Zelandeth » 17 Nov 2017, 19:53

Proper gasket arrived for the Skoda's thermostat housing today - predictably about ten minutes after you left!

Michel

Post by Michel » 17 Nov 2017, 20:12

Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur wrote:
16 Nov 2017, 21:57

Cutting Compound (not T-Cut, that's for Pussies, lol!) and polish and the transformation was remarkable. Hard work mind, I did the ZX a panel at a time.

ZX looks great! What did you use on the plastic panels? I've got a Grand Picasso with some minor scratches on that I'd like to polish out.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 17 Nov 2017, 20:19

Zelandeth wrote:
17 Nov 2017, 19:53
Proper gasket arrived for the Skoda's thermostat housing today - predictably about ten minutes after you left!

Typical! I'll be down your neck of the woods on Monday when I visit Aldi en-route to CMK to meet up with Sian for lunch..

If you're in I'll drop by ;)

Zelandeth
Donor 2016

Post by Zelandeth » 17 Nov 2017, 22:59

Let me guess Jim, it was one of those purple Cranfield University buses that nearly took you out? I've been on them twice, and on both occasions ended up writing into the company afterward due to the outright dangerous driving exhibited - and have nearly been flattened by them several times picking up my husband who until recently worked at Cranfield Uni on the days his usual lift was unavailable. How their driver's got their category B, never mind D licences I've no idea!

Fun and games with the Saxo wireless, have to assume some of the odd behaviour was down to the protection circuitry for that channel kicking in? At least you've got to the bottom of it. Usual thing isn't it, something really simple at the end of the day. Was interesting to have a look at the schematics though nevertheless.