Citrojim's Ka, Saxo and Bike Tales

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Re: Citrojim's Activa, Saxo, 207 and Bike Tales

Post by CitroJim » 01 Nov 2017, 08:21

Michel wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 08:00
I love going to the dentist Jim. It's never bothered me in the slightest. What, should I prefer murderous toothache and pain to being fussed over by two lovely ladies? I think not. Usually the only remotely painful bit is the initial injection

My thoughts entirely Mike :) I can't think of anything worse than toothache - girls might say childbirth but that quickly passes... Toothache just gets worse and worse!

My hygienist is utterly gorgeous and my dentist's assistant is even more so... That just adds to pleasure of visiting...

The most painful bit is paying for the treatment. I already know this filling is going to cost me £115!

Zelandeth
Donor 2016

Post by Zelandeth » 01 Nov 2017, 08:56

Hate the dentist with a passion. Sadly I inherited my teeth from my mother's side of the family - they're stupidly sensitive and have the structural integrity of cheese. Oh, and the anaesthetic usually starts to do something useful about an hour after I've left.

Had a wisdom tooth removed last time I was there, which was one of the singularly most unpleasant and painful experiences of my life to date. Due a check up next month...not looking forward to it.

Hope your visit goes smoothly Jim!

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 01 Nov 2017, 10:03

Zelandeth wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 08:56
Hope your visit goes smoothly Jim!

Thanks Zel :)

The very worst bit for me is my mouth being numb for so long after the work has been done... Hate that :twisted:

Hell Razor5543
NOT Alistair or Simon

Post by Hell Razor5543 » 01 Nov 2017, 10:15

I, for a very long time, was terrified of the dentist. It dates back to the mid '70s, when my brother had to have a bit of work done. It turned out that he was allergic to the anaesthetic, and it very nearly killed him. You try telling a 10 year old child the dentist is not a bad person, and he did not mean to nearly kill your younger brother, when you sleep in the same room and you can hear him whimpering in pain even though he is unconscious (he was in a coma for a few days). He could not be taken to hospital (the journey could have tipped him over the edge), and the GP was visiting every day (and sometimes twice a day).

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 01 Nov 2017, 10:36

Oh James, nasty :(

Hell Razor5543
NOT Alistair or Simon

Post by Hell Razor5543 » 01 Nov 2017, 10:37

True, and an experience like that leaves a mark.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 01 Nov 2017, 10:45

Hell Razor5543 wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 10:37
True, and an experience like that leaves a mark.

Indeed it does... Sadly, I know only too well, the amount of indelible marks I've picked up over these past 58 years...

bxzx16v

Post by bxzx16v » 01 Nov 2017, 21:22

I'll have a look in the garage Jim and see if I still have that radio I mentioned.

Mark

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 02 Nov 2017, 05:24

bxzx16v wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 21:22
I'll have a look in the garage Jim and see if I still have that radio I mentioned.

Thanks Mark :) I may need it as the new amplifier IC arrived yesterday and despite replacing it, just before going off to the dentist for a filling, the same fault remains :twisted:

After the filling I really didn't feel like posting yesterday...

So, back to some deeper fault-finding... I WILL fix it but I'll have to rig it up to run on my workbench rather than trying to fix it dead and just testing it in the car...

This wireless has now become a challenge!

I did briefly take the 207 out for a run yesterday and a battery charge... I prefer the Saxo... 207 is back parked up... Only for occasional use now...

Zelandeth
Donor 2016

Post by Zelandeth » 02 Nov 2017, 12:25

Any tantalum caps in there Jim? Those would probably be the next suspects at this sort of age.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 02 Nov 2017, 15:27

Zelandeth wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 12:25
Any tantalum caps in there Jim? Those would probably be the next suspects at this sort of age.

A very god call Zel but none I can see... I have a few more electrolytics to check now...

This wireless has far too many SMD components for my liking...

The problem is independent of volume control setting so definitely late in the amplification chain...

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 03 Nov 2017, 18:57

Happily, on what has been a very fine day I managed to find a bit of time to do some most welcome spannering :)

I gave both Sally and the Pug of Love a good routine check and both are fine...

I noticed Sally had one rear fog out and one front fog out... The front was easy - just a bulb. And despite it looing quite a task, swapping front foglight bulbs is noit difficult :)

The rear was a bit of a surprise... I pulled the light cluster out and found there was no bulb in the holder! I popped one in and before replacing the bulb carrier in the cluster I checked it worked and it did :)

However, when I came to pop the carrier back in the cluster it wouldn't go in :?

Reason was a 'bar' across the bulb hole in the cluster as shown in the picture below! There was never a bulb fitted :o
Sallyrearfog.jpg
Own Work
I popped out the 'bar' and reassembled and Sally now has two rear foglights for the first time in her life!

I then replaced Sally's alternator belt as the old one was looking a bit elderly and cracked... Another incredibly easy job :)

Next up, I pressed the new wheel bearings into the Activa hubs...
Activahub1.jpg
Own Work
Now the hubs and driveshaft is ready to be refitted :)
Activahubs2.jpg
Own Work
Hopefully, the weather will be good enough following parkrun to carry on and start the reassembly job...

With luck, the weekend should see the Activa back on her wheels and MOT ready but on Sunday morning I'll be in Nottinghamshire riding the last cycle sportive of the year - the Nottinghamshire Wheeler...

Looks like the weather for Sunday is going to be OK for the ride...

Finally, for today, I made a bit more progress on sally's odd wireless problem... I'm hopeful the mystery will soon be solved :)

Michel

Post by Michel » 03 Nov 2017, 20:16

CitroJim wrote:
03 Nov 2017, 18:57
Happily, on what has been a very fine day I managed to find a bit of time to do some most welcome spannering :)

I gave both Sally and the Pug of Love a good routine check and both are fine...

I noticed Sally had one rear fog out and one front fog out... The front was easy - just a bulb. And despite it looing quite a task, swapping front foglight bulbs is noit difficult :)

The rear was a bit of a surprise... I pulled the light cluster out and found there was no bulb in the holder! I popped one in and before replacing the bulb carrier in the cluster I checked it worked and it did :)

However, when I came to pop the carrier back in the cluster it wouldn't go in :?

Reason was a 'bar' across the bulb hole in the cluster as shown in the picture below! There was never a bulb fitted :o

Pretty standard on many cars Jim, to only have one rear fog - the offside. You'll find that LHD ones have the same rear fog missing on the other side of the car..

bobins
Donor 2016

Post by bobins » 03 Nov 2017, 20:27

Yep, for that age of car there is a requirement to have at least one rear fog lamp and not more than two, and if one is fitted is must be either on the centre line of the car or off-side.... and time to get your vernier calipers out - for the distance between the rear fog lamp and stop lamp there must be at least 100mm between the "light-emitting surfaces of the lamps when viewed in a direction parallel to the longitudinal axis of the vehicle" :rofl2: :)

xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Post by xantia_v6 » 03 Nov 2017, 20:46

CitroJim wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 05:24
the new amplifier IC arrived yesterday and despite replacing it, just before going off to the dentist for a filling, the same fault remains :twisted:

So, back to some deeper fault-finding... I WILL fix it but I'll have to rig it up to run on my workbench rather than trying to fix it dead and just testing it in the car...

This wireless has now become a challenge!

Can you re-cap ( :roll: ) the symptoms?
A possibility is that a speaker wire is shorted somewhere.