Citrojim's Ka, Saxo and Bike Tales

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Re: Citrojim's Activa, Saxo, 207 and Bike Tales

Post by CitroJim » 29 Oct 2017, 10:09

That's a lovely church Neil :)

Sadly, my ride took us nowhere near that locality yesterday but I did spot a lot of fine churches during the ride and I'm still always on the lookout for red clock faces...

It's hard to stop and take pictures when riding in a sportive peloton but these rides do give me a lot of inspiration for future solo touring rides...

One outstandingly lovely place we cycled through was Canons Ashby :)

Most of the village seems to be National Trust...

Well worth a look...

Michel

Post by Michel » 29 Oct 2017, 17:16

Hell Razor5543 wrote:
26 Oct 2017, 19:00
Michel wrote:
26 Oct 2017, 18:56
Oi, I'm currently driving around in a Vauxhall Nova, and I resembled that remark earlier!

I am STILL not laughing (but I will admit to a grin!)!

One has to dress the part for a Corsa...
Attachments
22852019_283611758818017_4778999257189185614_n.jpg

Hell Razor5543
NOT Alistair or Simon

Post by Hell Razor5543 » 29 Oct 2017, 17:21

:rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

OK, NOW I AM laughing, but what do you expect when you act like a C.H.A.V.?

C.H.A.V. =
Spoiler: show
Clown Having Aggressive Variances (you try coming up with a decent word beginning with V!!!)
Last edited by Hell Razor5543 on 29 Oct 2017, 20:19, edited 2 times in total.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 29 Oct 2017, 18:14

Michel wrote:
29 Oct 2017, 17:16
Hell Razor5543 wrote:
Michel wrote:
Oi, I'm currently driving around in a Vauxhall Nova, and I resembled that remark earlier!

:rofl2: Another bloody laptop keyboard covered in spilt tea!!! But Mike, that is so funny... A classic picture :-D One to keep for ever ;)

In future though, can you please warm me so that I'm not drinking a well-deserved cup of tea when I'm reading my blog :lol:

Whilst I did not get as much done on the Activa today as I wished due to the lovely weather calling for other jobs to be done - such as the garden - I did get one major one done :)

It was the job I was dreading the most - the inner CV Boot replacement :)

In the event it was not as bad as I feared and the boot fitted a treat...

CV Boot replacement is still, in my opinion, the most hateful, messy and horrid job ever on any car... The grease is just downright evil... I now remember why I normally farm this job out to a garage!
Activacvboot1.jpg
Own Work - outer knocked off and inner boot removed.
Activacvboot2.jpg
Own Work - New inner boot fitted.
Activacvboot3.jpg
Own Work - Job done. Yay!!!
Now it's just the new wheel bearings to press into the hubs and a reassembly - a walk in the park after the CV boot :)

And then we'll go for an MOT :)

And the garden is, hopefully, now put to bed for the winter... I hope today saw the last lawn mow of 2017 [-o<

Now I can concentrate on playing cars :)

myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren » 29 Oct 2017, 20:14

Michel wrote:
29 Oct 2017, 17:16
Hell Razor5543 wrote:
Michel wrote:

I rescued a lad in a broken down Corsa a couple of weeks ago.
Hardly your stereotypical Corsa driver. Well spoken, nicely dressed, no tats, no baseball cap, very polite and overwhelmed that someone had bothered to stop and give a hand to a stranger.
Couldn't understand why I wouldn't accept any cash from him for helping either.

wurlycorner

Post by wurlycorner » 29 Oct 2017, 20:17

CitroJim wrote:
29 Oct 2017, 18:14

CV Boot replacement is still, in my opinion, the most hateful, messy and horrid job ever on any car... The grease is just downright evil... I now remember why I normally farm this job out to a garage!

It's also particularly bad on a Xantia because the assembly quality (the outer ones) is so absolutely (-expletive removed-) awful!

I never worry about doing this job on a CX - it's a breeze - have done it twice on my Xantia and both times found it absolutely horrendous and unnatural feeling (it's just not right to have to whack the joint THAT hard to get past the bloody awful quality formed splines)

Zelandeth
Donor 2016

Post by Zelandeth » 29 Oct 2017, 20:36

Just give me a shout Jim if you don't want to deal with actually taking it in for the test and the resulting stress.

My usual approach is that anything involving taking suspension apart gets farmed out to a garage. If bolts shear, round off etc it's their problem then not mine! Though you do at least have a press...a tool I have always lacked.

The fact that I was usually working on the only wheels available to me, and was a 30 mile round trip from the nearest garage probably played a part too...if something went awry it made life rather more of a pain back then.

Skull
donor 2017

Post by Skull » 29 Oct 2017, 21:26

CitroJim

Whilst we have conversed over the years mainly on my 2.1 TD on a budget thread,

somehow I seem to have missed your 406 page blog =D> Hope to have a browse through soon ....

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 30 Oct 2017, 05:05

wurlycorner wrote:
29 Oct 2017, 20:17
have done it twice on my Xantia and both times found it absolutely horrendous and unnatural feeling (it's just not right to have to whack the joint THAT hard to get past the bloody awful quality formed splines)

Yes, especially on reassembly :twisted:
Zelandeth wrote:
29 Oct 2017, 20:36
Just give me a shout Jim if you don't want to deal with actually taking it in for the test and the resulting stress.
Thanks Zel, appreciated greatly :)
Zelandeth wrote:
29 Oct 2017, 20:36
My usual approach is that anything involving taking suspension apart gets farmed out to a garage. If bolts shear, round off etc it's their problem then not mine! Though you do at least have a press...a tool I have always lacked.

The fact that I was usually working on the only wheels available to me, and was a 30 mile round trip from the nearest garage probably played a part too...if something went awry it made life rather more of a pain back then.
One reason why I always feel naked if I don't have a spare car available to me... Even though I could manage a few days without one easily enough...

There's always a spare here you can borrow if needed. Another reason I have two roadworthy cars at any one time is so my girls always have a spare to call upon if necessary...

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 30 Oct 2017, 17:47

I am very happy to report Sally the Saxo now has a working speedo :D

I thought the replacement of the vehicle speed sensor would be easy... No chance.. I forgot Sally is French :twisted: :roll: :lol:

I did the job from above as with the air filer box out iof the way the sensor is just visible above the RH drivehsaft in the diff... Getting to it was a bit fiddly but happily the old sensor came out easily enough...

And so did a load of gearbox oil :twisted: That was a surprise to say the least... I've always been used to 'boxes where the oil level is considerably below the top of the speed sensor hole...

Then, despite the replacement sensor - thanks Xantia-V6 :) - looking identical it wouldn't fit... It was just a tad too big on its spigot between the O ring...

Cue a micrometer to measure the old one and some emery paper to grind down the spigot to make them the same...

Then it fitted :) Before that I got some assistance from my neighbour to check the replacement worked.. Me spinning the sensor out of the gearbox with neighbour watching confirmed all was good... To have gone to all the trouble of fitting it only to have another duff one would have been terrible!

Last job was to get an airline to blow oil out of the sensor fixing screw thread - it was full and if not cleared out the screw would not have gone back in...

All the work was worth it... I'm much happier with a good, working speedo even if it is a bit optimistic :

Sally and I went to the city at lunchtime to see my girls and have lunch... I also popped into GSF and got her a new alternator belt and some brake fluid - I had none in stock! LHM I have plenty but not good old DOT4! Thought I better had now I have two conventionally braked cars...

One trait I notice Sally has is a little hesitation and misfire when pulling hard away after a stop when the engine is half way between hot and cold... It's only very transient and after looking at the ECU on the ELIT and finding all is perfect I can only assume it's all down to the rather crude mono-point injection system she has... Only the oxygen sensor, inlet air temperature, throttle position and vehicle speed is used in mixture calculation. Just a glorified carb really...

No Activa work today due to the speed sensor taking three times as long to replace as expected :twisted:

Here's Sally on the roof of the Centre:MK multi-storey car park today... Isn't she beautiful! I do so love her :D
sallyincmk.jpg
Own Work

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 31 Oct 2017, 18:52

I've not yet received the spares to fix sally's proper wireless and keen to have at least some sort of wireless in the car I dug out an old Xantia wireless today and it does sort of fit...

I know it's a proper bodge and not good but it is only temporary :)

At least I now have a wireless to listen to...
xantwirelessinsaxo.jpg
Own Work
Due to other tasks and demands upon my time today, no more Activa progress to report :(

Unlikely much tomorrow either as I have a dental appointment for a filling...

Michel

Post by Michel » 31 Oct 2017, 19:08

Looks ok to me Jim. I once put a Xantia stereo in a ZX
... using copious amounts of no more nails.. Now, that was a bodge!

Good luck at the dentist. I've been 4 times in the last 3 weeks. For the first time ever I have dental insurance through my employer so I'm having *everything* fixed while I still have it. Back on Wednesday next week to have a bridge fitted!

Hell Razor5543
NOT Alistair or Simon

Post by Hell Razor5543 » 31 Oct 2017, 23:10

Forth Rail or Golden Gate?

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 01 Nov 2017, 06:23

Hell Razor5543 wrote:
31 Oct 2017, 23:10
Forth Rail or Golden Gate?

:lol:

Millau Viaduct :)

Thanks Mike, for the dental wishes... I never mind going as my dentist is a lovely lady about my age and very good at her job.

She really bollocked me about needing a filling and that if I wish to keep my teeth I needed to give up everything sweet there and then! She really lectured me... 'No more sugar in any form young man!' [-X

I was upset and quite desolate as sweet stuff is one pleasure of mine that I can tolerate :( . Gawd knows my life is restricted enough as it is and I have to forego a lot of pleasures enjoyed by normal people... If I give up sweet stuff then that's another one gone :evil:

I have cut down on the sweet stuff though... I still enjoy a little dark chocolate and the occasional sugary thing as a treat even though I feel a bit guilty afterwards :twisted:

I suppose the next time I go to see her for a routine checkup she'll find a reason to ban me from eating lots of nuts and the copious amounts of fruit I get through :evil: Nuts especially are my substitute for sweets and chocolate...

Michel

Post by Michel » 01 Nov 2017, 08:00

I love going to the dentist Jim. It's never bothered me in the slightest. What, should I prefer murderous toothache and pain to being fussed over by two lovely ladies? I think not. Usually the only remotely painful bit is the initial injection