Citrojim's Activa, 207 and Bike Tales

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

Citroenmad
My Cars:

Post by Citroenmad » 13 Dec 2009, 00:03

Yes the 2.0HDi fits, erm snug. It can be a right paint even doing an oil and filter change, as the filter is so close to the radiator and the air conditioniong pipes also block access. I always end up with my hands and arms cut to ribbons after changing the filter, and i have the thinest of arms :lol: Im sure there must be a knack to it that im missing!

Seems much more space on the 1.4s, i think its a very similar block to the 1.1s isnt it.

It looks like a very tidy 206 Jim, its the same colour as mine too, though mine is a 3 door. They are great little cars, drive and handle really well and are reasonably roomy for a small car too, so long as your feet arnt very big!

Main things to watch out for on those are clonks from the rear suspension and very little else actually.

Ive mentioned that we had a saxo before the 206, it was a faultess car and never went wrong (1.1) in the 80K miles that we owned it. However the 206 is a much more grown up car, feels more solid and is safer in an impact, which is always something to consider.

I trust Robyn likes her new car? Will she be learning in it too?

Chris.
0 x
Chris
16 C4 Cactus BlueHDi Flair
05 C4 2.0 16v Exclusive
54 Audi A2 FSi SE
51 VW Passat V6 TDi Estate

Family Citroens:
64 C4 Cactus BlueHDi Feel Red
15 C3 Picasso 1.6HDi Exclusive
56 C5 2.0HDi 138 16v VTR Estate
95 C15 6-wheel
55 Traction 6H

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: A red Xantia Activa, a pretty blue Pug 207, a Giant TCR Bike and a Giant TCR Pro Bike.

Post by CitroJim » 13 Dec 2009, 09:01

Ahh well, I won't be planting a V6 in it then Chris :D

Robyn's is all quiet at the rear (barring the occasional parcel shelf rattle). That was one thing I checked carefully after owning 205s..

Robyn is delighted with it and has pictures of it on her facebook page with a caption "LOVIN IT" :lol:

As soon as she has the hang of clutch control on her mum's instruction car (mum is an ADI) she'll be driving it and acting as the family taxi.

Mum is going to give her some intensive tuition over Christmas so we can expect a test pass fairly early in the new year.

They certainly are cracking little cars. I never thought I'd find something to outclass the 205 but the 206 does!
0 x
Jim

Please note I do not accept PMs...

Citroenmad
My Cars:

Post by Citroenmad » 13 Dec 2009, 11:10

Have you checked the boot lid catch adjuster Jim? Mine had an awful rattle from the back too, i too thought it might be the parcel shelf but as that seems to be made from card board or some such its probably not that.

I found the tailgate to be very slightly loose and the catch needed adjusting inwards to get it fitting tighter, which solved the annoying rattling noise. If you’ve not checked or tightened it, id say its that making the noise.

Ah very handy, having a mum who is a driving instructor! Im sure she will pass in no time, but good luck for her test :)
0 x
Chris
16 C4 Cactus BlueHDi Flair
05 C4 2.0 16v Exclusive
54 Audi A2 FSi SE
51 VW Passat V6 TDi Estate

Family Citroens:
64 C4 Cactus BlueHDi Feel Red
15 C3 Picasso 1.6HDi Exclusive
56 C5 2.0HDi 138 16v VTR Estate
95 C15 6-wheel
55 Traction 6H

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: A red Xantia Activa, a pretty blue Pug 207, a Giant TCR Bike and a Giant TCR Pro Bike.

Post by CitroJim » 13 Dec 2009, 22:06

I'll check the bootlid Chris, thanks for that :D Maybe some time as Robyn now has the car at her mum's house... She was very eager to get it after I'd checked it all over!

It's been a day of great progress on the V6 breaking front. She's now looking very stripped at the front and inside but from a quick glance up my drive she still looks whole! We're breaking front to back so the car does not obviously look like a scrapper until the last moment.

The engine is now clean and sitting on a rug in my garage :D It was horribly mucky when it was first lifted and I spent some time with it hanging on the crane cleaning it. It'll not win any bling competitions but neither does it look as bad as it did earlier and I won't get too mucky when I come to strip the gearbox. It had a long-term oil leak from the engine and the grime was a quarter inch thick in places :shock:

The removal went well. Lifting V6 engines is now a bit like shelling peas for us :lol: :lol: We were initially troubled by very tight flex plate bolts that refused to yield to a 16mm ring spanner even after grinding off the lead-in. Eventually we removed the front to rear exhaust header and used a specially ground socket on them.

We also found one of the 12mm unions on the hydraulic pump was FT and beyond an ordinary spanner. We then found a 12mm crow's foot socket (that looks and works like a flare nut spanner) languishing in a dark corner of my toolbox and that worked perfectly. I'd had them for years but never used them. A crow's foot was Mike's idea for a possible tool to shift the tight flex plate bolts. In the event they were no good for that but for the pump and big hydractive sphere block unions they work like a dream :D

We did find an easier way to extract the engine by removing as much of the front of the car as possible. It makes the job easier but is only really on if the car is being dismantled as the aircon condenser needs to be removed...

Here's a couple of shots about 20 minutes before the engine was lifted..

In other news, Robyn has taken possession of her 206 meanuing there is room at home again for my Activa :D I've missed her..

I want round to my friend's house where she was parked and she started instantly despite being all damp and abandoned for what seems weeks. I then went for a long joy ride :D

It's good. So good it's heavenly :P :P The best way to enjoy an Activa is to drive other cars for a few weeks and then go for a nice long drive around some nice B roads.

It's been a good weekend and so nice to spend quality time out of doors.

Spannering therapy works!
0 x
Jim

Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer » 13 Dec 2009, 23:36

That engine bay is so full it's scary! :shock:

Speaking of cambelt changes, a chap (ex-mechanic) who used to work for me left the cambelt change a little too close to the maximum limit on his 1.2 Nova. He was able to change it in his lunch hour! Loads of room to get at everything. Replacing the bent valves which he found on restarting it took a little longer though, but not much.

James
0 x
Now Citroenless for the first time in 20 years
2008 Mazda RX-8 231
2007 Honda CR-V Auto

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 14 Dec 2009, 22:20

James, that's a lovely tale of the Nova cambelt change :D Could have saved himself a lot of work if he'd done it earlier though...

I did intend to crack on with V6 breaking this evening but alas the weather was against me. 'Tis just a tad wet with a lot of wet falling from upon high :(

So instead I removed the gearbox from the engine. It's quite easy single-handed by using an engine crane to lift the gearbox away.

I found the torque converter well stuck on to it's neck bearing and it would not come off until I brought the patent xantia_v6 torque converter puller into play. This puller is a couple of lengths of Dexion shelving support and some alloy bars. Crude but effective :D

In the event the converter did come off and left the bearing and oil seal in place but close examination of the TC neck and bearing shows damage similar to what we found in xantia_v6's gearbox but less severe.

It will be interesting to split the gearbox and see what else has died. Maybe tomorrow if it continues to pour with rain...

Having said that, I'm waiting patiently for Webfusion to advise me of the login and IP details of our new forum webserver. They came good on their promise of a new, enhanced server free for three months and then the same monthly fee as our old one. If the details arrive tomorrow, all thoughts of gearboxes and breaking will be put aside whilst I configure the new server and prepare to get the forum up and running on it.

The spec. looks good. 50Gb hard disk space on RAID5, 3Gb of memory and Windows 2008 Server with unlimited traffic. Hopefully it'll run like the wind 8)

More news hopefully tomorrow...
0 x
Jim

xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 » 14 Dec 2009, 23:23

CitroJim wrote:In the event the converter did come off and left the bearing and oil seal in place but close examination of the TC neck and bearing shows damage similar to what we found in xantia_v6's gearbox but less severe.

Does the bearing look melted through lack of lube, or is there any sign of contamination?
0 x

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 15 Dec 2009, 07:35

Just yet Mike, because of the stator extension being in the way, it's hard to see the bearing clearly but it looks a bit like a big end shell that's been "run"

More will be known as soon as I split the 'box to see what else has failed.

Lubrication failure does seem the likely cause but not due to Dexron directly. What was in there was very new.

I'd have loved to have seen (and smelt) the old oil.
0 x
Jim

DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG » 15 Dec 2009, 07:40

CitroJim wrote:I'd have loved to have seen (and smelt) the old oil.

Whatever turns you on :lol: :lol:
0 x
14 BMW 535D Tourer
11 BMW F25 X3 3.0D Sport
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH

mark21td
My Cars:

Post by mark21td » 16 Dec 2009, 15:08

Jim, has the Lucas epic gone back together ?
I've been trying to keep up with your blog but it gets so many posts I may have missed it.
0 x
99 406 LX HDI 90 estate
99 C250TD sport estate
01 306 HDI 90 meridian estate
Brew my own biodiesel

http://www.shorewasteoil.xtreemhost.com/

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 17 Dec 2009, 13:51

mark21td wrote:Jim, has the Lucas epic gone back together ?

Yes, it has but only on a temporary basis. I had it all in bits back along and then I was called up for gearbox work which is still sort of ongoing.

As soon as time permits, I'll get back to it Mark. Upshot was that the pump, apart from being a bit gunged up, was in fine condition and after a rebuild should run again fine.
0 x
Jim

lexi
My Cars:

Post by lexi » 17 Dec 2009, 19:52

It`s no wonder cars weigh so much when you look at cutaway of V6 engine bay. I don`t know how I have managed to get my big hands anywhere in between that stuff in last few weeks :shock:
0 x
Citroen C5 HDI 110 Mk 1 hatchback

French Mistresses gone.
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2

mark21td
My Cars:

Post by mark21td » 18 Dec 2009, 00:58

CitroJim wrote:
mark21td wrote:Jim, has the Lucas epic gone back together ?

Yes, it has but only on a temporary basis. I had it all in bits back along and then I was called up for gearbox work which is still sort of ongoing.

As soon as time permits, I'll get back to it Mark. Upshot was that the pump, apart from being a bit gunged up, was in fine condition and after a rebuild should run again fine.

AH so Ididn't miss a post then, I hope that when it's back together it'll be put to good use one day and save a 2.1 from the crusher.
0 x
99 406 LX HDI 90 estate
99 C250TD sport estate
01 306 HDI 90 meridian estate
Brew my own biodiesel

http://www.shorewasteoil.xtreemhost.com/

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 18 Dec 2009, 22:44

Spannering therapy was called for this evening :D

It's been an excellent week really, totally different to last. The forum seems to be happy on its new server and work has gone very well. I scored a personal triumph this week by really getting to grips with a piece of software I have been tasked to become very familiar with. It's an incredibly complex thing called Mirror42 and it's used to generate our Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) and tell management how well we do our work :lol: :lol: The name of this software was inspired by the Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy and the computer called Deep Thought that took 7 million years to work out the the answer to life, the universe and everything was 42. Mirror42 will give you the answer to life, the universe and everything but like Deep Thought you have to know how and what to ask it; that's my job...

Enough of that. Tonight curiosity got the better of me and I pulled the gearbox from the scrapped V6 apart. Some bolts were incredibly tight and corroded and I broke my T40 Torx bit on one of them :evil:

Finally, it yielded and it came apart.

The 'box was still working (just) but was whining very badly and the torque converter neck had welded itself to its bearing.

Inside, apart from the bad bearing, there is nothing the matter. Everything is serviceable, including the oil pump except for the aforesaid bearing and maybe the torque converter.

The failure was caused by lubrication failure resulting from a clogged oil filter. The filter is so clogged, oil will barely run through it.

So,a refurbished converter, a converter bearing, a filter and a gasket set and the 'box will be good to go again despite it's brush with a fill of Dexron :D Cost circa £250 to make it good again.

Here's a shot of the failed converter neck bearing.

Scoring and fretting can be seen. It's like a big end shell in construction. basically a soft bearing surface on a steel backing. The soft stuff is mangled and mostly gone. It welded to the TC neck and the steel under part has spun badly in its housing - hence the noise.

So, again, at say 120,000 miles and no record of regular oil changes, if you want your V6 gearbox to carry on living, whip the engine out, split the gearbox (no special tools needed) and replace that filter. Cost about £50 with gaskets.
0 x
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 18 Dec 2009, 22:49

My life is dominated by the number 42 at the moment it seems. I've just noticed my blog is now 42 pages in length :roll:

I'm a massive HHGTTG fan as well....
0 x
Jim