Citrojim's Pixo, Saxo and Cycling Tales

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

daviemck2006
Donor 2016

Re: Citrojim's Activa, 207 and Bike Tales

Post by daviemck2006 » 22 Sep 2017, 23:46

Its 15 years since I was a fisherman, these could be ever so slightly past their use by date! He thinks they are smoked but really they ma well be rotten :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

Stickyfinger
Donor 2016

Post by Stickyfinger » 23 Sep 2017, 00:01

Swedish main meal then :)

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 23 Sep 2017, 04:56

daviemck2006 wrote:
22 Sep 2017, 23:46
He thinks they are smoked but really they ma well be rotten :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

I don't care if they are, all I know is they really are delicious :D

Yesterday whilst out on my cycle ride I got flagged down by a fellow cyclist in the usual way - he was holding a wheel...

Turns out his female riding companion had a puncture and they had no repair kit...

I did and fixed the puncture :) That was my good deed for the day done...

I always carry a pump/CO2 inflater and puncture repair kit. More often than not I also carry a spare tube too...

RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW » 23 Sep 2017, 08:14

Tube change by the side of the road always easier than faffing about with patches!

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 23 Sep 2017, 11:43

RichardW wrote:
23 Sep 2017, 08:14
Tube change by the side of the road always easier than faffing about with patches!

Absolutely agreed Richard but yesterday was one of those rare occasions on which I did not carry a spare tube :evil: Won't happen again ;)

Zelandeth
Donor 2016

Post by Zelandeth » 23 Sep 2017, 13:21

Still staggers me how resilient to punctures the modern tyres available for bikes can be. Probably making a gallows for my own neck here, but have yet to have a puncture on the C5 since the Schwalbe City Jet tyres were fitted. It's a heavy old brute of a thing compared to a bike too.

I've rescued a few people who have been stranded by punctures as well - and they're usually riding Halfords own brand bikes still wearing their original cheaper than cheap tyres. Reminds me, I need to get a new CO2 cartridge...

Stickyfinger
Donor 2016

Post by Stickyfinger » 23 Sep 2017, 13:29

Why do you need Co2 cartridges Jim ? .......... you eat flap-jacks !

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 23 Sep 2017, 13:52

Zelandeth wrote:
23 Sep 2017, 13:21
Still staggers me how resilient to punctures the modern tyres available for bikes can be. .

Indeed they are... I've only so far had punctures in OE (very thin) tyres and touch-wood my replacements that incorporate a kevlar anti-puncture layer have been immune.

Yesterday though it was a Conti Gatorskin - my favourite and very puncture-resistant - that appeared to let the unfortunate rider down... It was not the tyre or any impaling object but rather a failed tube. I found a little weakness on a moulded seam and it had gone there...

It fixed OK with a patch and I hope it got her home but I'd chuck that tube ASAP. Again, I only use good, quality tubes such as Contis... Although, having said that, the cheap BTwin tubes from Decathlon seem OK...
Stickyfinger wrote:
23 Sep 2017, 13:29
Why do you need Co2 cartridges Jim ? .......... you eat flap-jacks !
:lol: CO2 cartridges (just like the ones used in Sodastream machines) and a purpose-designed head is a great way of inflating a bike tyre without the need to carry a pump Alasdair... The only snag is the little cartridges get dangerously icy-cold in use so I carry a little insulating sleeve to slip over them...

If I ate a lot of beans before a ride I may not need to carry CO2 cartridges perhaps :wink: :lol:

Zelandeth
Donor 2016

Post by Zelandeth » 23 Sep 2017, 15:13

Same as the City Jets then, they've got a layer on the tread surface which offers protection, and the profile is such that sidewall damage is highly unlikely to ever be an issue.

Tube wear though is more luck of the draw I guess as demonstrated here. I really should grab a spare tube (well...two as the front wheel is a different size) and stick it in the boot in case I ever need them...

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 24 Sep 2017, 13:41

I had an awesome morning at the NSPCC MK Half Marathon :)

It was perfect weather for the run, if not just a wee bit too warm... The atmosphere was great and the support from all the crowds along the route was sensational :)

This picture really sums up how much I enjoyed the event. It was taken about 10 miles in...
NSPCCHalf In Action.jpg
Sian Carter - Redway Runners
Another medal to add to my ever growing collection ;)
NSPCCHalfMarathon.jpg
Own Work
And the result from Garmin Connect...

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1995659235

Not quite a sub two-hour run but I did not push it hard and the congestion at the start was very heavy... Main thing is, I did a good time and I feel great :D

Zelandeth
Donor 2016

Post by Zelandeth » 24 Sep 2017, 14:29

Ah ha, is that what the yellow signs I saw yesterday in Linford Wood were for then?

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 24 Sep 2017, 16:18

Zelandeth wrote:
24 Sep 2017, 14:29
Ah ha, is that what the yellow signs I saw yesterday in Linford Wood were for then?

Yes, exactly Zel :) They were really big ones and most of them had a marshal on them too... No way you could either cheat by taking a shortcut or accidentally go the wrong way!!!

RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW » 25 Sep 2017, 14:11

Nice one, Jim! I like "taking it easy", and just over a 2 hour finish.... :lol:

I did half marathon distance yesterday - but it took me 7 hours! Mind you it did involve over 1300 meters of climbing, 3 Munros, 5km hacking down through heather and bog, and about 4 of the seven hours inside a cloud that was heaving down! Apparently we do this sort of thing for FUN!! Pretty stiff today, must get out more...

Got to drive over the new Queensferry crossing en-route to the start and the way back though 8-)

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 25 Sep 2017, 15:25

Wow :D Well done Richard! I was only reading about running Munros the other day and got rather keen on perhaps doing it myself one of these days... It's a lot different to the standard Half Marathon and different in a very good way too...

I've been thinking about trying a bit of trail running recently and furthermore, the urge to visit Scotland is getting stronger and stronger...

What we do is FUN, you and I both know that ;) We'd not do it otherwise...

I hope there was a good medal and a fistful of freebies at the end, and not least something nice and warming to eat and drink!

Yesterday, we just had a banana, an energy bar and a bottle of water!

Actually, it seems I did do the run in just under two hours :D I got the official times through today and the official finish photo...
DSC_4451_title.jpg
yourraceday.co.uk
Considering this was taken just before the finish I'm looking remarkably fresh!!!

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 01 Oct 2017, 17:47

Today has been a cracker of a day :D I rode in the Rutland Arrivederci cycle sportive and really enjoyed every inch of it.

It was a supremely well organised event that did almost a perfect route. It was largely very quiet, deserted back roads and lanes. Simply fantastic :D

It had real coffee (decaff too!) and hot food at the feed station and on completion we were again fed a hot meal. The vegetarian Chilli I had was excellent :D

The scenery and landscape on all of the ride was breathtaking. I never knew that Leicestershire and Rutland were so beautiful. I do now..

The ride also incorporated several long and very steep hills to really stretch our legs and to attempt to bust our lungs! The ride saw well over 3,00 ft of elevation gain!

This is how my Garmin captured it :)

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2027025252

Due to the rain and very muddy roads my bike (and I) ended up filthy....

This filthy!
muckybike.jpg
Own Work
This is how I got most of it off :) :lol:
bikebath.jpg
Own Work
I finished her off by sponging her, drying her with compressed air and finally buffing with a soft and fluffy cloth :)

And not forgetting to lube her chain ;)

She's now all gorgeously clean again and ready for the next sportive we'll do. No doubt she'll end up just as mucky but it's a small price to pay for the pleasure I get from them.

Next one is at the end of the month...