Citrojim's Activa, 207 and Bike Tales

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

van ordinaire
donor 2017
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee (n.b. has some Renault heritage) - the "parts car"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'98 Cadillac STS (named after a Frenchman, remember)
'99 Cadillac STS
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Re: Citrojim's Activa, 207 and Bike Tales

Post by van ordinaire » 10 Sep 2017, 14:14

Jim, you've got me thinking about packing now.

I'm off for my biennial run (no, not in your sense of the word) down Route 66 next weekend & the budget airline I found charges for all luggage - except a 17" x 13" x 10" bag; now that should be an interesting challenge AND it means I won't be dragging a selection of Jeep & Cadillac parts home this time. My priority at the moment is remembering the stuff I want that's down here in Devon when I return to London on Tuesday. I remembered the book I want to return to the hostel in Alberquerque - & in it were the dollars I couldn't find when I went to Memphis in May, so that's a few more cheap $'s than I knew I had.

The first time I travelled light to the US it attracted the attention of customs but when I explained that by the time I'd left out what I couldn't take on the plane + what they wouldn't let in, he did have the good grace to grin & admit he'd never thought of it like that & wave me on my way.
0 x
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee - the "parts car" :(
'99 Cherokee - the green one [-o<
'97 Cherokee - the red one :?
'98 Cadillac STS 8-[
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: A red Xantia Activa, a pretty blue Pug 207, a Giant TCR Bike and a Giant TCR Pro Bike.

Post by CitroJim » 10 Sep 2017, 14:27

daviemck2006 wrote:
10 Sep 2017, 14:12
Who knows how long I will be capable of getting about so,,,,,,,I will keep doing it untill then!

Good stuff and an excellent attitude Davie :) I may not get around much in a car any more but I certainly get around a bit on my bikes...

My mantra of making each day count and doing things whilst you can was reinforced just this week - a dear friend of mine, a lifetime non-smoker, was diagnosed with lung cancer less than a month ago. Only two weeks ago she ran, albeit slowly, her last parkrun - she died on Tuesday :cry: At just 54 years old.

So, live each day to the absolute full always and enjoy life... You never know when it's going to be snatched away...

On that basis, I've just enjoyed an excellent bike sportive today and will be doing another big one down in the New Forest next Saturday...

Now I'm starting work at 06:30 in the morning I've treated myself to some bike lights that are more up to the job. My new headlight is a 1100 lumen job and more powerful than a Xantia headlight :lol:

I'm more like a searchlight! LED technology is amazing now...

It's a real bad-boy but with its matching rear light I'll both be able to see on dark roads and be seen...

This is the beast :)
lezyne1100bikelight.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x
Jim

Please note I do not accept PMs...

Hell Razor5543
NOT Alistair or Simon
My Cars: C5 Mk1 VTR estate, Icelandic Grey (I think she is called "Bluebird")

Post by Hell Razor5543 » 10 Sep 2017, 16:24

PLEASE make sure you have the front light correctly set up, Jim. Recently I came round a corner to be 'punched' in the eyes by a cycle light that was so bright I had to pull over and stop. I was taught (during the CPT course) that the front lights (on all vehicles) are there to first illuminate the road, and second make them known to other road users. That cyclist was letting aeroplanes know where he was!
Last edited by Hell Razor5543 on 10 Sep 2017, 16:30, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX

C5 VTR HDi estate, 76518762
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: A red Xantia Activa, a pretty blue Pug 207, a Giant TCR Bike and a Giant TCR Pro Bike.

Post by CitroJim » 10 Sep 2017, 16:28

Hell Razor5543 wrote:
10 Sep 2017, 16:24
PLEASE make sure you have the front light correctly set up, Jim. Recently I came round a corner to be 'punched' in the eyes by a cycle light that was so bright I had to pull over and stop.

Oh, don't you worry about that James... I've been the victim of the same too many times now and I think it's dangerous in the extreme...

Mine can be switched to a variety of light levels all the way from 50 lumens to the full whack. I'll only ever use enough for the prevailing conditions.

Not only that, battery life is a consideration... The brighter the light the shorter the battery life...
0 x
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 12 Sep 2017, 09:27

Enjoying a little holiday in one of my most favourite parts of the world at the moment...

Had a good drive down in the Pug and all my kit fitted in beautifully...

I am finding long drives like this more and more difficult but the end result is worth it even if the drive down took perhaps a hour longer than it would if driven at 'normal' speeds. You know you're slow when all lorries overtake you :lol:

I'm all settled in and just returned from a lovely 5K run along the sea front and with a view of the Isle of Wight to my right :) Gorgeous!

Here's the route I took:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activ ... 1972820206

I needed that run badly after being cooped up in a 207!!!
0 x
Jim

demag
Donor 2016
My Cars: "H" Citroen Bx Tgs Automatic.
2004 Citroen C5 Exclusive Estate 2.2 hdi Automatic.

Post by demag » 12 Sep 2017, 13:50

I hope the weather's kind Jim.
0 x
Dave

'04 C5 auto estate 2.2 hdi.
Bx 1.6 TGS Auto 50k A rare beast by all accounts. A bit tired but getting better by the day.
'96 XM 2.5TD VSX.......Sadly sold. What an idiot! I should have held on to that.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 12 Sep 2017, 15:39

demag wrote:
12 Sep 2017, 13:50
I hope the weather's kind Jim.

It's starting to blow up very windy now Dave but still lovely and sunny :) Been out for a lovely bike ride already and rode past the Sammy Miller Motorcycle Museum. Looks an interesting place.
sammymiller1.jpg
If we have a wet day I'll visit it properly...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 12 Sep 2017, 15:49

Speaking of bike rides...

Delighted to see this picture of me from the recent Wiggle Steeplechase sportive I took part in...
steeplechase1.jpg
I can now hear the beach calling me... I need some (more) lungfuls of that lovely sea air :)

Off out for a brisk walk in the brisk weather...
0 x
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 12 Sep 2017, 17:30

It's definitely windy down on the beach and glad I'm not out in a boat on it today!

Had a lovely walk along the beach...
windybeach.jpg
Today I've walked and ran 10 miles and cycled 20 miles...

Not bad. It's been a excellent day :)
0 x
Jim

elma
My Cars: 1997 Xantia V6 (S1)
Mauritius Blue

Post by elma » 12 Sep 2017, 17:43

Welcome back Jim.
I hope the cyclings better out of holiday season.
0 x

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 12 Sep 2017, 17:50

elma wrote:
12 Sep 2017, 17:43
Welcome back Jim.
Thanks James, it's jolly good to be back :)
elma wrote:
12 Sep 2017, 17:43
I hope the cyclings better out of holiday season.

No, the roads are still incredibly busy and full of kamikaze drivers intent on getting from A to B in the shortest possible time...

Honestly, the folks down here drive like they're being chased by the very devil himself :evil:
0 x
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 14 Sep 2017, 18:00

Having an excellent break and short holiday down here in the New Forest :D

Lots of running, cycling and walking has been enjoyed! Weather has not been too bad...

Each morning I've run at least 10K and had some cracking rides in the New Forest...

Tomorrow I'm doing nothing at all - tapering off my training ready for the big New Forest 100 cycle sportive on Saturday...

I also need a very quiet day as it's going to be a very busy weekend. As soon as I've completed the sportive - all 60 miles of it - I then have to get home and get ready for the Chevrons rally where I'll be handing Gabriel over to Davie and then, at the end of the rally, cycling home.

That's why it's going to be a totally idle day... I need to prepare otherwise next week will not happen! Especially given how difficult driving is for me these days... I was unwell for several days after the last journey back from down here so great care is needed...

Meanwhile, I spotted this on the back of a VW in Highcliffe this afternoon :)
runningtargets.jpg
I can claim to have ticked off three of them.

Another will be ticked next year but the final one may take a while longer...
0 x
Jim

Fake Concern
My Cars:

Post by Fake Concern » 14 Sep 2017, 21:43

Glad you're enjoying your break. I know what you mean about the sea air and the wind, I got plenty of both on my ride yesterday. Didn't get a chance to go out today.

https://www.relive.cc/view/1181818519
0 x
Citroen C4 VTS
Citroen XM V6

daviemck2006
Donor 2016
My Cars: 2007 peugeot 407 2.7hdi
2006 berlingo 1.9d van to be sold
1998 xantia td
1993 peugeot 205 1.6 auto

Post by daviemck2006 » 14 Sep 2017, 22:35

You need a day of not a lot Jim. Chris and I finished our jaunt on Saturday afternoon when he dropped me at my car. I was actually unable to drive home on Saturday and had to overnight before getting home on Sunday. Ive ended up with a cold, and not done much all week, preparing for this weekends jaunt. I will not be driving all the way home on Sunday, I will aim only to do 3 or 4 hours max before finding a bed somewhere, and maybe get home on Monday. I was at the bank getting some weird banknotes with bank of england 20 pounds sterling on them for you. Some of your shops down there dont like our bank of scotland 20 spondulaks notes. I got a good exchange rate though.

With a bit of thinking going on in my head the last couple of days (always dangerous) im glad that Gabriel has been proven up here in the wilds when Zel owned her. Its not every car that has the strength of character to work up here. Ive decided to shorten her name to Gabby once she gets here, and i think shes going to get a bit of a makeover with vinyl wrap or plastidip, depending what is easier and what I think of her when I see her in the flesh. Although I like red cars it is possible this could also see a colour change, or a partial colour change. This will not be known untill I see her. I have always wanted to try wrapping a car myself, a panel at a time, I have done bits before. The good thing about wrapping is if its crap a hairdrier removes it without trace again. This could be fun! Should start a vote for a colour scheme, although at the moment I have 3 ideas lol.
0 x
Peugeot 407 coupe 2.7hdi - bigpug
Berlingo 1.9d - beryl to be sold
Xantia 1.9td - gabby, amazingly good
Peugeot 205 1.6 auto - lilpug
In the family
Peugeot 107
Honda Civic type r
Skoda Fabia VRS 1.9 tdi
Audi A4 avant 1.9tdi

Fake Concern
My Cars:

Post by Fake Concern » 14 Sep 2017, 22:52

Get yourself rested Davie as it's not just down the road!

And I vote for a colour scheme something like this
0 x
Citroen C4 VTS
Citroen XM V6