Citrojim's Skoda, Saxo, 207 and Bike Tales

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: 2003 C5 2.0 HDi 110 SX 220,400

Post by myglaren » 22 Nov 2009, 20:21

By "have a rest" Jim means strip a Routemaster down and rebuild it :D
0x

Jackie Evancho

Toby_HDi
My Cars:

Post by Toby_HDi » 22 Nov 2009, 20:21

Excellent news

Glad to see all has gone well. Well done to you both.

Mike you are welcome, as said before, was a pleasure.

What is the purpose of this stall test? I've never heard of that before?

Jim? A rest? That doesn't sound right :twisted: seriously though, you deserve it.
0x
Toby

Previous:
2004 Peugeot 407 HDi 138 SE Luxury Pack
2001 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
2001 Peugeot 406 V6 Coupé
1998 S2 Xantia Activa
2000 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
1999 Peugeot 406 2.0 16v Estate

xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 » 22 Nov 2009, 20:57

Toby_HDi wrote:What is the purpose of this stall test? I've never heard of that before?

When a torque converter is working normally (at low speed), the input is turning faster than the output, but by the magic of the internal hydraulic design, the ouput has more torque than the input, and the torque multiplication is nearly proportional to the difference between input and output speeds.

If you stall the convertor (in gear with the brakes on hard), with the engine at wide open throttle, the engine is turning the input of the torque convertor, but the output is not going anywhere, so you know that the speed difference is the same as the engine RPM, and this is also (usually the condition where the TC is producing maximum torque.

The usefulness is:
1. If the sprag clutch in the TC is slipping, you will know (and probably hear) all about it, or if the TC stator is seized, the stall RPM will be much too low.

2. If the wrong model TC is fitted, the stall speed will be wrong (as Jim just discovered).

3. If the TC is known to be correct, but the stall speed is a bit low, it can be a symptom of a sick engine.

BTW, when conducting this test, the entire engine power is being dissipated as heat in the hydraulic fluid, so don't do often or for long. I have seen an idiot do this until there was smoke coming out of the transmission on his V8 American lump.
0x

lexi
donor 2017
My Cars:

Post by lexi » 23 Nov 2009, 12:14

Yeah give yourself a rest Jim to recharge the batteries.

You`ve scratched more itches than The Singing Detective recently :lol:
0x
Citroen C5 HDI 110 Mk 1 hatchback

French Mistresses gone.
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: An orange Skoda 120, a pretty blue Pug 207, Sally the white Saxo, a Giant TCR Bike and a Giant TCR Pro Bike.

Post by CitroJim » 23 Nov 2009, 14:19

lexi wrote:Yeah give yourself a rest Jim to recharge the batteries.

Trouble is, I'm suffering withdrawal symptoms :twisted: :lol: I NEED another project and quick. I'm bored already looking at a clean, tidy but empty garage :roll:
0x
Jim

Please note I do not accept PMs...

lexi
donor 2017
My Cars:

Post by lexi » 23 Nov 2009, 15:22

What no bedrooms needing painted? :lol:
0x

French Mistresses gone.
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: An orange Skoda 120, a pretty blue Pug 207, Sally the white Saxo, a Giant TCR Bike and a Giant TCR Pro Bike.

Post by CitroJim » 23 Nov 2009, 15:27

lexi wrote:What no bedrooms needing painted? :lol:

I don't do DIY Lexi :twisted: Anyone who has visited my house will know what I mean :lol: It's clean and tidy, a bit dog-eared but it's home, like a pair of old, comfy slippers. Decorating would spoil it...

Besides, I have an allergy to paint and wallpaper paste....
0x
Jim

lexi
donor 2017
My Cars:

Post by lexi » 23 Nov 2009, 18:14

Nice Car port project Jim.

50MM squ. tube standards just inside your half of the drive. Purlins going across to gable wall with plates welded on and then chemical rod fixings. Some metal tube dwangs for sheet support.Clear fibreglass sheets. Strong and ten times better than polycarbonate cantilever trash.

Just trying to keep you dry and out of mischief Jim :lol:
0x

French Mistresses gone.
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2

Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers » 23 Nov 2009, 22:44

CitroJim wrote:
lexi wrote:Yeah give yourself a rest Jim to recharge the batteries.

Trouble is, I'm suffering withdrawal symptoms :twisted: :lol: I NEED another project and quick. I'm bored already looking at a clean, tidy but empty garage :roll:

Well, you could pop to Leighton Buzzard and do a bit of work on Jenny, then swap Cassy's fuel pump out... if you're bored ;)
0x
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 23 Nov 2009, 22:46

Leighton Buzzard????

What are you doing there Xac :o
0x
Jim

Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers » 23 Nov 2009, 23:09

CitroJim wrote:Leighton Buzzard????

What are you doing there Xac :o

That's where we moved Jenny to (my parents' drive).
All she needs is a new tyre on the front, one of her steering gaters fixed in place, and a bulb for her rear number plate and she'll sail through the MoT.
I want to swap her bumper over with one from the scrappy as her current one is slightly cracked.

As for Cassy, there's the fuel pump swap to do with the old LX's one, then sell the LX's engine.
Oh and her rear window heater isn't working again, the switch isn't working so I've got to hunt the relay and check it out.
Ooo and I want to swap exhausts with the one from the LX as it's not got a CAT :twisted:

With work though I just haven't had the time to do any of it :(
0x

DIY sphere tool

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 23 Nov 2009, 23:12

Ahh! it all makes sense now :D

Right, when we both have a bit of time and the weather is nice, we'd better sat a bit of time aside to get cracking on those jobs.

Be good to see you and catch up on news. Seems a time since we have. Work must be keeping you well busy :twisted:
0x
Jim

Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers » 23 Nov 2009, 23:16

Sounds good to me Jim!

I've done 2 weeks solid in London (although I've enjoyed it more than the usual office work at Northampton) including a week's worth of hours at the weekend.

Need to also talk to you about Juliet's roll controller too :)
0x

DIY sphere tool

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 28 Nov 2009, 10:02

Xac wrote:Need to also talk to you about Juliet's roll controller too :)

No worries Xac :D Sorry for the long delay in replying. Been a bit restful (car-wise) just recently :lol:

After the hectic past few weeks, I've been taking it a bit easy on the car front. Tuesday and Wednesday I went down with a touch of 'flu. Felt dreadful all day Tuesday and Wednesday and then on Thursday woke up absolutely perfect :? :roll: I lost two day at work and then had to work like mad to make those up :twisted: That's done and last evening I had a good relax in the garage tidying up, reassembling my spares gearbox (not that there's much any good in it now!) and making one more special tool for working on gearboxes. I made up a diff seal protector and now I have just about all I need to be able to do these 'boxes without the official special tools :D I just need to make a TC retainer and all will be complete.

After the hecticness of work and the brain-mashing job I do, I find it good to work in the garage as a form of relaxation.

This afternoon the Christmas lights go on in town and the girls will be performing majorette routines. Before that Robyn and I are off to look at some potential cars for her. We may have found one out near Bedford as Milton Keynes seems to be a complete washout.

Next big job is a real sortout of my garage and a stock-take of spares. Some may be on offer (ones that are surplus to my needs) so watch this space!

Last weekend I bid on eBay for a mint MK1 V6 Xantia Brochure. This was the first brochure for the V6 and is quite rare now. I just missed winning it but later, I was offered a second-chance on it as the original winner must have pulled out. It's mine and it really is mint :D

I also won an Activa Ram on eBay. It came wrapped in a black bin bag :lol: When I went to the post office to collect it the staff asked me what on earth it was....

My luck was really in this week! Apart for the eBay stuff, I was awarded a quite substantial cash bonus at work :D I just hope that luck holds for finding a good car for Robyn today...
0x
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 28 Nov 2009, 21:19

Bingo :D We managed to get Robyn a very tidy little 1.4LX Peugeot 206 today, complete with sunroof in-lieu of aircon :D

It's an early one on a T plate but all in all, very clean and well cared for. She likes it...

First job is a new cambelt and water pump as it has scant service history.

Looked also at a V plate Clio and found rust holes in the boot :shock: :evil:
0x
Jim