Citrojim's Ka, Saxo and Bike Tales

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Re: Citrojim's Activa, 1.9TD, 207 and Bike Tales

Post by CitroJim » 11 May 2017, 10:42

bobins wrote:
CitroJim wrote:
I have a control panel from an old Ferranti Argus 700 mainframe I worked on for many years on my lounge wall ;)

<cough> Interesting !! I've seen where one used to be :-D

You must tell me in a PM where that was... I have a good idea ;)

I also still have an Argus 700 Processor Box up in my loft as another memento of those 20 years I spent intimately involved with them. I developed a big fondness for them and when they were decommissioned I could not bear to be part of the demolition team...

The bits I have I rescued from a skip...

They were bloody excellent and gave us some very sterling service indeed. Incredibly reliable and trustworthy... One place (amongst many) they were used was in Magnox Nuclear Power Stations and in that role they had to be good...

myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren » 12 May 2017, 19:37

Jim, you mentioned earlier about problems with a portable oscilloscope.

I haven't looked in to it but received an email about a very cheap and easy to make one using an arduino here:
Oyvind Dahl.

Could be crap, no way of knowing until I try it, which is unlikely to be any day soon.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 12 May 2017, 21:22

Now that's interesting Steve :) Thanks for that....

The only problem with my little Thander, one of these little bad boys:

Is duff rechargeable batteries...

On mains it's perfect and just the job for car work...

I've not looked at it yet but I suspect the rechargables died in the cold over winter... They were a good few years old and only cheapies to begin with...

Hell Razor5543
NOT Alistair or Simon

Post by Hell Razor5543 » 12 May 2017, 21:28

I hope that the batteries are a common design, and easy to get hold of.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 12 May 2017, 21:36

Hell Razor5543 wrote:I hope that the batteries are a common design, and easy to get hold of.

Yes, just a few C cells James, 4 if I remember correctly... It's designed to run on rechargables or non-rechargables at the flick of a switch...

It's so old it'll have been designed for old-school Ni-Cds and the charger possibly does not do a good job of caring well for modern rechargables which maybe is the reason they have died...

Hell Razor5543
NOT Alistair or Simon

Post by Hell Razor5543 » 12 May 2017, 21:42

OK, so next time I see Aldi or Lidl doing rechargeable batteries (and the charger) I will let you know. The batteries are normally around £3 per pack, and the charger (with a discharge capability) normally costs £12, and can handle Ni based batteries.

myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren » 12 May 2017, 22:26

CitroJim wrote:Now that's interesting Steve :) Thanks for that....

The only problem with my little Thander, one of these little bad boys:

Is duff rechargeable batteries...

On mains it's perfect and just the job for car work...

I've not looked at it yet but I suspect the rechargables died in the cold over winter... They were a good few years old and only cheapies to begin with...

That looks a familiar item Jim. Sure I have used one in the past but a long time ago now.

I dragged some batteries out of their hiding place a few days ago and recharged them. Big mistake - they were alkalines and bled all over the place :oops: :(
Should have had my stronger glasses on.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 13 May 2017, 06:11

Hell Razor5543 wrote:OK, so next time I see Aldi or Lidl doing rechargeable batteries (and the charger) I will let you know. The batteries are normally around £3 per pack, and the charger (with a discharge capability) normally costs £12, and can handle Ni based batteries.

Thanks James :D

Steve, that 'scope is old now, it's got to be 40 if it's a day... It has a baby CRT in it and was really quite amazing when it was first introduced...

Now it is truly vintage but still very usable and useful...

elma

Post by elma » 13 May 2017, 07:50

Vintage rules, I am younger than most vintage stuff but I'd rather buy an old clock or barometer than a modern one. Old stuff lasts and usually has quite amazing mechanics. Modern stuff lacks these charms. Thats why I'm off to the boot sale in 10 mins and also the Antiques fair tomorrow although the antiques fair is purely to observe.I used to threaten my laptop with replacement by typewriter when I was a student because I got so fed up of software issues that often manifested about a day before a hand in.

myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren » 13 May 2017, 09:27

elma wrote:Vintage rules, I am younger than most vintage stuff but I'd rather buy an old clock or barometer than a modern one. Old stuff lasts and usually has quite amazing mechanics. Modern stuff lacks these charms. Thats why I'm off to the boot sale in 10 mins and also the Antiques fair tomorrow although the antiques fair is purely to observe.
I used to threaten my laptop with replacement by typewriter when I was a student because I got so fed up of software issues that often manifested about a day before a hand in.

My daughter had a similar problem, the night before she was to hand in her dissertation - about ten pm as we were printing it!

That turned into a very frantic effort to get it done (three copies) bound and delivered.
She was five minutes before the deadline :yikes:
Very long story.

demag
Donor 2016

Post by demag » 13 May 2017, 10:32

Worldwide cyber attack yesterday affecting Windows systems. Microsoft you have so much to answer for.

Sent from my Wileyfox Swift using Tapatalk

mickeymoon

Re: RE: Re: Citrojim's Activa, 1.9TD, 207 and Bike Tales

Post by mickeymoon » 13 May 2017, 11:48

demag wrote:Worldwide cyber attack yesterday affecting Windows systems. Microsoft you have so much to answer for.

Sent from my Wileyfox Swift using Tapatalk

I disagree.

Companies and corporations not updating their systems as they should, and not using OSes that are still supported and updated by the manufacturer are to blame.

We have a *very* strict compliance and patching regime at work. We have 2800 Windows based servers and we don't get these problems.

I hear the NHS are still using some Windows 2000 servers and many XP desktops. These went out of support *aeons* ago. I've no sympathy and they deserve every criticism they get.

Malware, viruses, hacking has been around for many, many years. Any IT manager worth his title should know this and ensure the systems are protected.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Re: RE: Re: Citrojim's Activa, 1.9TD, 207 and Bike Tales

Post by CitroJim » 13 May 2017, 12:23

mickeymoon wrote:Any IT manager worth his title should know this and ensure the systems are protected.

Indeed yes but I fear the NHS may suffer from treacle-like IT bureaucracy that may make the best laid plans to keep systems clean, tidy, current and patched across the whole estate futile...

Their RFC procedures may put so many obstacles in the way that by the time even an emergency RFC has been approved to apply patches the threat has already turned into an attack...

Act outside the RFC process and your bollocks will be on the block even if what was done was for the best of reasons and disaster averted...

That's how it is in big institutions, sadly... ITIL has a lot to answer for here, along with the countless layers of managers upon managers, all who seem to think they know best...

myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren » 13 May 2017, 14:11

I got one of those popups a couple of years ago - just ignored it and it went away :)

myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren » 13 May 2017, 14:41

And Nissan a couple of miles from me, has also been got!