Citrojim's Skoda, Saxo, 207 and Bike Tales

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

demag
Donor 2016
My Cars: "H" Citroen Bx Tgs Automatic.
2004 Citroen C5 Exclusive Estate 2.2 hdi Automatic.

Re: Citrojim's Xantia Activa, 1.9TD and Bike Tales

Post by demag » 26 Feb 2017, 00:51

Urrgh! Failed turbo. What engine was that Jim?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
0x
Dave

'04 C5 auto estate 2.2 hdi.
Bx 1.6 TGS Auto 50k A rare beast by all accounts. A bit tired but getting better by the day.
'96 XM 2.5TD VSX.......Sadly sold. What an idiot! I should have held on to that.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: An orange Skoda 120, a pretty blue Pug 207, Sally the white Saxo, a Giant TCR Bike and a Giant TCR Pro Bike.

Post by CitroJim » 26 Feb 2017, 07:48

demag wrote:Urrgh! Failed turbo. What engine was that Jim?

2.0HDi...

Practically unknown... We believe it was metal fatigue in the shaft or a manufacturing defect... No shortage of clean oil or anything like that...

Basically the inlet compressor impeller fell off and went walkabout in the housing with predictable results...
0x
Jim

Please note I do not accept PMs...

KP
My Cars:

Post by KP » 26 Feb 2017, 14:16

It's not unheard of in a 16v engines but never seems to happen in the 8v units. Could be from heat cycles I suppose as the only. If differences are the head and the turbos themselves changed, but the 16v units are designed to warm up quicker as well to help keep emmissions down and fuel economy up.
0x
1996 Activa with Leather(S2!) AC & Sunroof PALLAS'd
XM 2.5td VSX Estate green 220k running Veg&stuff

Gibbo2286
My Cars: 2004 C5 2.0 litre HDI

Post by Gibbo2286 » 26 Feb 2017, 15:27

My current 2.0L HDI C5 had the turbo blow for no apparent reason, a lot more damage afterwards when the debris got into the oil galleries and caused the big ends to fail.
0x

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: An orange Skoda 120, a pretty blue Pug 207, Sally the white Saxo, a Giant TCR Bike and a Giant TCR Pro Bike.

Post by CitroJim » 26 Feb 2017, 16:44

Gibbo2286 wrote:My current 2.0L HDI C5 had the turbo blow for no apparent reason, a lot more damage afterwards when the debris got into the oil galleries and caused the big ends to fail.

Nasty...

Hopefully, the way the turbo went it looks like none of the bits got into the oilways... The debris ended up in the inlet tract but did not reach the inlet valves...
0x
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 27 Feb 2017, 05:43

Picked up a puncture on my bike ride yesterday :twisted: First one out on the road.

Happened on the A428 between Denton and Yardley Hastings - as far from home as that ride took me... Had to fix it in howling wind and with rapidly numbing hands :twisted:

Used a telephone manhole cover as a work bench!

It was fun and fixing it brought on severe Reynauld's :( Did it successfully though despite all :)

The puncture was my fault really - the back tyre was worn out and very thin; it was on borrowed time so I've replaced both tyre and tube - the new tyre has a measure of puncture protection... Fitted without needing tyre levers :)

Took all of ten minutes and so much more pleasant to do it in my warm lounge listening to Chris Rea on the stereo rather than on the side of a windy and cold A428! And no, I wasn't listening to the 'Road To Hell' at the time :) I was actually listening to Auberge on vinyl...
0x
Jim

mickeymoon

Post by mickeymoon » 27 Feb 2017, 06:23

I carry a spare innertube in the cold weather Jim, it's so much easier to change a tube than arse about repairing them with numb fingers in the wind and rain! I carry a couple of patches, glue and chalk but not a full kit. I can remove and put the tyres back on without levers.
0x

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 27 Feb 2017, 06:43

I carry a spare tube on my tubeless-tyred bike Mickey but until now not on this one... No room in my saddle bag but now I may ;) If I ditch the puncture repair kit I’ll have room for a tube!
0x
Jim

mickeymoon

Post by mickeymoon » 27 Feb 2017, 06:58

Just make room for a couple of patches, chalk and glue Jim, as well as a spare tube.. in case you get another puncture before you get home :) There's no need to ask me how I learnt to do that, after a 4 mile walk with a flat front tyre, in cycling shoes, is there?
0x

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 27 Feb 2017, 07:07

mickeymoon wrote:Just make room for a couple of patches, chalk and glue Jim, as well as a spare tube.. in case you get another puncture before you get home :)

Good tip! Thanks for that :)

I also have to make room for my favourite bike tool; a CO2 inflater. If you don't yet have one then get one, they really are magic :D

Yes, walking any distance at all wearing cycling shoes and SPD-SL cleats is no fun at all and ruins the cleats too :twisted: A new set costs somewhere north of 12 quid...
0x
Jim

mickeymoon

Post by mickeymoon » 27 Feb 2017, 07:10

Some kind chap gave me a set of new cleats recently. I'm not sure where they came from but they're a lot better than the ones that came with the shimano shoes I have!

I do indeed have a CO2 inflator. Wouldn't be without one.
0x

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 27 Feb 2017, 09:18

mickeymoon wrote:Some kind chap gave me a set of new cleats recently. I'm not sure where they came from but they're a lot better than the ones that came with the shimano shoes I have!

Just as some kind chap provided me with what has turned out to be a very useful and functional mountain bike.. Takes me all over MK and to parkrun every Saturday... I treasure that bike :D

I think those cleats came with the last set of SPD pedals I bought... Pukka Shimano ones. I've heard reports that cheap eBay clones of Shimano cleats last no time at all... At a tenth of the cost of the genuine article it's hardly surprising really...
0x
Jim

mickeymoon

Post by mickeymoon » 27 Feb 2017, 09:20

The cleats I had on them came with a set of Shimano pedals I bought new. They nevet seemed quite "right". Always tight in the pedals and not much float on them. The new ones are perfect, though it has to be said my right foot now rests at a different angle on the pedal to what it did previous to my accident!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
0x

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 05 Mar 2017, 13:47

Not automotive at all but today I completed a 10K race in the MK Festival of Running :D

I'm even more addicted to running after that. Gutted though for finishing just tens of seconds over the hour... Had it not been for having to negotiate a flooded underpass under a good 9 inches of water and then running 80% of the race in wet shoes and socks I think I may have cracked the magic 60 mins...

It was a very surreal experience to run along closed roads and what for the most part are very busy dual carriageways...

The race organisers had a real 'treat' in store for us right at the end of the race - a really steep hill up to the highest point in Milton Keynes :twisted: I love running up hills - being very light I'm like a mountain goat - but many hated it... One runner behind me complained 'They must be f'ing joking...' :lol:

And I did all that for a bottle of free water and a banana at the finish... Plus a medal ;)

Really looking forward to the MK Half Marathon now :) I do love running...

mkfor10k.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1x
Jim

daviemck2006
Donor 2016
My Cars: 2007 peugeot 407 2.7hdi
2006 berlingo 1.9d van to be sold
1998 xantia td
1993 peugeot 205 1.6 auto

Post by daviemck2006 » 05 Mar 2017, 15:03

You have one major advantage going up steep hills Jim. You only have about 8 stone to get up it whereas I would have 17 lol

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk
0x
Peugeot 407 coupe 2.7hdi - bigpug
Xantia 1.9td - gabby, amazingly good
Peugeot 205 1.6 auto - lilpug
In the family
Peugeot 107
Mazda mx5
Skoda Fabia VRS 1.9 tdi
Audi A4 avant 1.9tdi