Citrojim's Ka, Saxo and Bike Tales

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

bobins
Donor 2016

Re: Citrojim's Xantia Activa, 1.9TD and Bike Tales

Post by bobins » 05 Feb 2017, 21:17

CitroJim wrote: Never known the temperature to change so quickly. The wind turned into one of those evil easterlies...
What they call "a lazy wind" - it'd rather go through you than 'round you ! :)

myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren » 05 Feb 2017, 21:17

9°C here today.
Somebody turn the country upside down?

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 06 Feb 2017, 06:27

bobins wrote:
CitroJim wrote: Never known the temperature to change so quickly. The wind turned into one of those evil easterlies...
What they call "a lazy wind" - it'd rather go through you than 'round you ! :)
It certainly was incredibly lazy by that definition!!! :lol:

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 12 Feb 2017, 17:45

I did a very unusual thing today :) I took the Activa out for a very long run... 70 miles :) I'm sure it did some good to give it some decent exercise as I can't remember the the last time I took it for a really decent, long run.

Needing some entertainment and not enjoying the Sunday radio shows I loaded up the CD Jukebox with Barclay James Harvest albums on home-burned disks and was delighted to hear it still works perfectly despite not being used for at least a year or more...

It was good for me too as I benefited from a bit of driving practice. I drive so little now that I'm definitely getting 'rusty' and loosing the skill of driving...

I'm awfully slow too as 40mph seems like I'm going really fast! I did get to go at 60mph toward the end of the journey so that's an improvement :)

I must say I thoroughly enjoyed the run; the Activa remains a lovely car to drive and enjoy...

A couple of niggles though, I still have a singing wheel bearing but it does not seem to be getting any worse - better if anything - and I still have slightly warped front discs...

I really must do the big brake conversion.... I have all the bits I need in stock so as soon as the weather gets a bit better I will...

I'm really looking forward to attending as many rallies as possible this year in the Activa and I need to get the niggles ironed out as before we know it the X-Rally will be upon us...

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 17 Feb 2017, 08:13

Not at all car-related...

I'd like to extend grateful thanks to Zel for allowing me to enjoy vinyl again after some 30 years!

Zel very kindly donated a deck to me.. It needed a bit of work in the form of a new belt and the arrangement of a power supply. The deck needs 20v and normally it will get it from a matching amp. I've used an old laptop power supply...

eBay as started my fledgling vinyl collection :D

With the new belt fitted, all is excellent and sounds brilliant!

Shows how old my amp is - the input selector switch position for listening to vinyl is marked 'Pickup'...

Shown below is the deck and the first three additions to the new vinyl collection..

Zel, thanks :D
Attachments
vinyl.jpg
CitroJim's Stereo System

mickeymoon

Post by mickeymoon » 17 Feb 2017, 10:46

Could I come and play one of my old Quo LPs on it one day, just for nostalgia's sake? :D

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

demag
Donor 2016

Post by demag » 17 Feb 2017, 11:09

I bought one of those players that you can plug into your PC via USB and download (upload?) Your LP's.

Sent from my Wileyfox Swift using Tapatalk

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 17 Feb 2017, 11:39

mickeymoon wrote:Could I come and play one of my old Quo LPs on it one day, just for nostalgia's sake? :D
Definitely :D It'll be fun... You could pick up my guitar and strum along too ;)
demag wrote:I bought one of those players that you can plug into your PC via USB and download (upload?) Your LP's.
That's pointless Dave, unless I'm missing something, you could just as easily have downloaded MP3 files for playing on a PC...

I've seen USB decks in record shops and did wonder if nowadays modern amps have USB sockets on them..

How does it work? Does the deck have some kind of encoder in them to convert the vinyl to MP3 or some such?

Do those USB decks also have analogue audio output for connecting to a proper amp?

demag
Donor 2016

Post by demag » 17 Feb 2017, 14:08

I only tried it once Jim! :-) I played a record and it came through the PC speakers. There are various ways to set it up. But being as I rarely get my vinyls out I thought I could convert them and play them in the car. :-)

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 17 Feb 2017, 14:14

Ahh, so I assume some software ran on the PC then Dave?

demag
Donor 2016

Post by demag » 17 Feb 2017, 18:45

Yes Jim it comes with a driver CD which is for Windows but I got it set up on Linux with a bit of fiddling.

Stickyfinger
Donor 2016

Post by Stickyfinger » 17 Feb 2017, 18:53

All my albums are recorded LossLess on a 1TB hard drive, crackles and all !

I then re-save/re-sample them at a lower rate for my phone to use in the car.
I play my albums at home from a hard disk Player (Creative Zen) via my amp from the LossLess recordings.

Hell Razor5543
NOT Alistair or Simon

Post by Hell Razor5543 » 17 Feb 2017, 20:33

These USB turntables have been around for a while, as have USB tape decks. They work well, and allow you to record (to MP3 or other formats) EXACTLY how the original media sounds. That way you can then safely store the original media while playing it back from your PC (and the data takes up less physical useful space).

Zelandeth
Donor 2016

Post by Zelandeth » 17 Feb 2017, 20:44

Just avoid the Ion things in Maplin... They're horrible things with a crap crystal cartridge and a tracking force measured probably in 10s of grams. Let's not even mention the likes of the offerings from Crosley.

The Audio Technika AT-LP60 is a decent basic deck with USB connectivity built in. I haven't really used mine much yet, but it will be useful for archiving a few albums I don't have digitally. They use a standard cartridge type shared with ATs far more expensive models, so you can mix and match them if you want to upgrade things.

Meant to tell you Jim, I checked the tracking force on that Pioneer deck before I brought it over and it's right in the middle of the recommended range for that stylus, so your records should be safe and it should sound as decent as it should.

Really need to find somewhere for my old B&O system somewhere...Just wish it wasn't so vast!

bobins
Donor 2016

Post by bobins » 17 Feb 2017, 20:47

Stickyfinger wrote:All my albums are recorded LossLess on a 1TB hard drive, crackles and all !

I then re-save/re-sample them at a lower rate for my phone to use in the car.
I play my albums at home from a hard disk Player (Creative Zen) via my amp from the LossLess recordings.
I really REALLY wish I had the time and patience to do that :( I reckon it'd take me somewhere between 2 and 3 weeks of non-stop work to get all mine digitized :cry:
Last edited by bobins on 17 Feb 2017, 21:00, edited 1 time in total.