Citrojim's Ka, Saxo and Bike Tales

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

demag
Donor 2016

Re: Citrojim's Xantia Activa, 1.9TD, C1 and Bike Tales

Post by demag » 15 Oct 2016, 21:49

Jim if Zel can't do the plip my mate said he'd do it for you.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Zelandeth
Donor 2016

Post by Zelandeth » 15 Oct 2016, 22:18

Will keep an eye on the forum through Sunday, if you're about I should be able to pop over and give it a shot. Should only be a five minute job really.

Speaking of modern hi-fi stuff, the tiny little Bluetooth portable Bose speaker I picked up a month or so back just defies physics...how so much sound and such a decent soundstage can come out of such a tiny box I have no idea! Bought it along with the Lada...it has no stereo and I reckoned that a seven or so hour drive without music was a recipe for me going mad!

Hell Razor5543
NOT Alistair or Simon

Post by Hell Razor5543 » 15 Oct 2016, 22:27

Bose speakers use rare earth magnets, which are far more powerful than the normal ones. Just don't drive too close to a scrapyard, as you might end up with some of the contents heading your way!

demag
Donor 2016

Post by demag » 15 Oct 2016, 22:33

Didn't realise they were that powerful.

myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren » 15 Oct 2016, 22:38

The HK pcb is almost all surface mount stuff Jim, only the pots are standard components and there is very little room to desolder the old one without burning something else.
Mine is not quite the same as the Mac kit - not as flash.
First one I saw belonged to a medical student and I thought it was some medical kit - centrifuge or something as it was on it's own as he had taken the Mac to uni.

Will do it one day. Used to do this all the time - worked in an electronics development lab* and then for TRW in one of their airbag factories.
Technically QA but on quiet days did a lot of reworking of failed modules.
Sadly it has been far too long and have forgotten most of what I knew. Just getting back into it as I bought my grandson an Arduino kit and a load of 'shields' and stuff so now I have to burn learn stuff and pass on to him.

* one of the products was on Tomorrow's World - a laser doppler blood flow detector to establish the requirement for skin grafting - no longer in production.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 16 Oct 2016, 07:37

Zelandeth wrote:Will keep an eye on the forum through Sunday, if you're about I should be able to pop over and give it a shot. Should only be a five minute job really.

I'll be about all day today Zel...

I rather did for myself on Friday doing so much on Gabriel and this weekend I've been somewhat paying the price. I pushed myself a little too hard and should have known better :twisted:

So, this weekend is one concentrating on rest and recovery...

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 16 Oct 2016, 07:40

Zelandeth wrote:Speaking of modern hi-fi stuff, the tiny little Bluetooth portable Bose speaker I picked up a month or so back just defies physics...how so much sound and such a decent soundstage can come out of such a tiny box I have no idea!

I know what you mean! I have a 'Juicebar' Bluetooth speaker and it's an amazing little thing! As you say, it defies physics...

demag
Donor 2016

Post by demag » 16 Oct 2016, 09:20

Don't overdo it Jim. You should know better at your age. Silly old sod! [emoji6]

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 16 Oct 2016, 09:32

demag wrote:Don't overdo it Jim. You should know better at your age. Silly old sod! [emoji6]

I know! Trouble is, I feel great whilst doing it and then only later does it come and hit me like a sledgehammer... The delay can be up to 48 hours...

I can get carried away sometimes and this is by no means the first time and somehow I doubt it'll be the last :roll:

Zelandeth
Donor 2016

Post by Zelandeth » 16 Oct 2016, 12:14

Hopefully you've caught things before you went *too* far, Jim.

I don't have it as bad as you, but am very prone to getting migraines if I push myself too far or don't get enough rest.

Got a few things to sort out here first, but should be free between 3 and 4 if that suits you, won't be able to stick around today as shuffling quite a few other things around, but should only be a five minute job really. Decent light and a flat surface should be all that's needed.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 16 Oct 2016, 13:42

That’ll be absolutely perfect Zel :D I can provide all required ;)

Sorry for the late reply, been out doing a little more on Gabriel...

Sorted out her slightly loose driver's seat... Loose screws on the height adjustment mechanism...

demag
Donor 2016

Post by demag » 16 Oct 2016, 14:22

Oi! Slow down you're like a kid with a new toy!

Sent from my Wileyfox Swift using Tapatalk

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 16 Oct 2016, 14:33

demag wrote:Oi! Slow down you're like a kid with a new toy!

I know, I know :roll: But the sun came out after it rained all morning and I wanted to get out of the house for a bit...

That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 16 Oct 2016, 17:24

I am delighted that Zel has now made my PLIP work with some skilful and delicate soldering :D Thanks Zel, it is highly appreciated :D

I now find I have duff ultrasonic transducers following a couple of false alarms... I must remember to set, until I replace them, with the ultrasonics defeated....

I did see a lot of ultrasonic alarms when I looked at the alarm operates log with the Lexia yesterday so I'm not surprised...

I also checked the vacuum fast idle and find the vacuum side of it is working but the cable and pump are way out of adjustment. Looks like someone has been fiddling without understanding how the system works. That fiddling happened a long, long time ago though...

It's not pressing but I will sort it out as having the cold fast idle working properly is a boon in the winter months...

xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Post by xantia_v6 » 16 Oct 2016, 17:50

Just disconnect the ultrasonics and forget about them. A better long term solution.