Citrojim's Pixo, Saxo and Cycling Tales

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Re: Citrojim's Xantia Activa, 1.9TD, C1 and Bike Tales

Post by CitroJim » 10 Oct 2016, 13:51

Gabriel is here and is looking good :D I'm quite delighted with her... She's a nice, basic Sensation so is an LX in reality with a few shiny bits added... One big bonus is she has no ABS and I see this as a definite attribute :D

Big thanks to Zel for letting me have her :D

All in all, she's very clean and tidy and has worn her near-206,000 miles very well indeed. Looks like a car that’s always been cared for...

She does have a bit of lacquer peel but it just adds to the patina so I won't be doing anything much about it...

Interior is almost unmarked:

And engine bay is very clean and tidy:

Her engine runs very beautifully and goes well too. I'd forgotten just how well a good TD goes and just how comfy and well-mannered a standard non-hydractive Xantia is...

She'll be great for Somerset runs...

Her MOT is soon due and a few jobs are needed. Nothing serious...

First up is to replace her (missing) back box.. Even though it's missing she's not as noisy as you'd imagine. The turbo acts as a quite efficient silencer...

Then the rear calipers need the usual and new rear discs are needed... That could be 'fun' :twisted:

And whatever a good check-over later today throws up. Judging by how she drives, not a lot I reckon...

Longer-term, she's going to need a clutch and a heater matrix... The clutch is a mite on the heavy side and I can just smell the matrix... After doing so many Activa clutches a 1.9TD BE3 clutch does not scare me - much :lol:

So, plenty to keep me busy for the next few weeks ;)

I'm looking forward to getting stuck in...

daviemck2006
Donor 2016

Post by daviemck2006 » 10 Oct 2016, 14:08

I've no doubt it's a good car already and will get even better once you work your magic. Two runs to Somerset instead of the activa and the fuel savings have paid the car lol

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 10 Oct 2016, 14:18

daviemck2006 wrote:Two runs to Somerset instead of the activa and the fuel savings have paid the car lol
That's true Davie!!!

New back box on order.. Bought from the 'bay for the princely sum of £33 :D

That'll be fitted on Friday...

Stickyfinger
Donor 2016

Post by Stickyfinger » 10 Oct 2016, 14:19

£33.....that will last then :)

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 10 Oct 2016, 14:32

Stickyfinger wrote:£33.....that will last then :)
It'll last long enough ;)

Zelandeth
Donor 2016

Post by Zelandeth » 10 Oct 2016, 15:29

Glad you're pleased Jim!

If you need an extra pair of hands for anything don't hesitate to give me a shout.

You'll have to let me know when you eventually stop finding pine needles from the tree by our drive!

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 10 Oct 2016, 16:20

Zelandeth wrote: You'll have to let me know when you eventually stop finding pine needles from the tree by our drive!
Still coming thick and fast Zel :lol:

Just given her a good, thorough pre-MOT and no showstoppers found apart from the exhaust and rear discs but I did find one duff numberplate bulb and one brake flexi hose is a little bit marginal so I'll swap those before the MOT.

I always believe it helps the MOT man can see recent work has been done...

Front brake pads are well worn too so they will be done at the same time.

Apart from that, she's looking sweet :D

Then, in slower time I'll do the cambelt and waterpump...

She's been well examined by a few neighbours and full approval has been given :D

Zelandeth
Donor 2016

Post by Zelandeth » 10 Oct 2016, 19:25

That would be about right, pads had a year left when I had the test done last year I reckoned. Funny how you note stuff sometimes then proceed to totally forget about it until the MOT sometimes!

You're right about going into the test with fresh work on the car. Reckon the Saab going in with new front pads, a new exhaust, new tyres and a fresh set of brake hoses probably cut the time I was in there in half last year.

Noticed that the timing belt sticker on the bonnet failed to survive one of my rounds of cleaning yesterday, but did remember taking a photo of it when I originally found it, and after a bit of digging around on my PC found it. So here's when the timing belt was last done:

Obviously I've no idea whether the water pump and such was done at the time, or if it was just the belt as I didn't get any paperwork with the car...

Stupid place to put a sticker though, right at the back of the underside of the bonnet so you couldn't see it without kneeling down in front of the car, think I only spotted it when changing an indicator bulb!

DHallworth
Donor 2016

Post by DHallworth » 10 Oct 2016, 22:33

That's a lovely looking car, Jim. You'd never have guessed the mileage on it by looking under the bonnet and at the interior!

David.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 11 Oct 2016, 04:53

Thanks for the photo of the timing belt change Zel :D Got a few miles to go yet then. No great urgency to get that job done...

All parts needed are now on order. Got to take a run across town tomorrow to pick some stuff up from our local GSF... They offered at least as good a deal on brake pads and flexi-hoses as anywhere on the 'bay I could find...

This afternoon I’ll start dousing the rear caliper bolts in Plus-Gas again ready for the pad/disc/corrosion removal job planned for Friday. I hope the new back-box will be here by then and with front pads flexi-hoses done on Sunday the car should be good for MOT next week ;)

That's the plan!

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 11 Oct 2016, 18:08

Got a bit more done on Gabriel this afternoon after work...

Popped off the rear wheels and started applying liberal amounts of Plus Gas to the rear caliper bolts in readiness for doing the job on Friday... I'll do the same tomorrow and Thursday...

Very pleased she started eagerly from cold :)

I also checked and sorted her tyre pressures...

She's going to work with me tomorrow and then we're both off to GSF in the afternoon to collect some bits for her...

Then I'll be seeing Robyn. She has a little issue with her 207. Some kind soul has smashed off her door mirror whilst the car was parked up at her work... We need to sort out a replacement.

Zelandeth
Donor 2016

Post by Zelandeth » 11 Oct 2016, 18:36

Good call on checking the tyres, especially with the weather having suddenly got cooler...I really need to get better at remembering to check them! Used to be part of my weekly checks...Then became every other one...Then "if I remember when I do the six monthly service!" Really need to fix that habit...

She's always been good about cold starting ever since the plugs were done, only issue really seems to be that the battery doesn't have much reserve capacity, so if you've not run the car in a week or two, or if you're a muppet like me at six in the morning and forget to wait for the glow plugs it's not hard to flatten it. Not sure whether the battery is just old, or if it's just because I never got out on a longer run as regularly as I'd have liked.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 11 Oct 2016, 18:47

Well, all I can say Zel, is that as soon as the glowplug light went out she started instantly :D

I'm having to consciously think to wait for the glowplus... It's been a long time for me since I've had to...

I just know now next time I drive the Activa I'll sit there waiting for the glowplugs :roll: :lol:

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 12 Oct 2016, 11:42

Drove Gabriel to work today. First time I've driven a car to work since June!!!

She started instantly this morning and positively purred all the way to work. It was a very pleasant floaty and wafty journey :D

The old 1.9TD can still cut the mustard and performance is very respectable..

Noticed this morning she still has a largely intact undertray fitted. That is very unusual still to find! I fear it may be coming off soon as one of it's mountings is looking very weary...

She's had a few admirers this morning in the office car park :D

demag
Donor 2016

Post by demag » 12 Oct 2016, 12:48

I've really enjoyed reading this article. Thanks Zel and Jim.

Sent from my Wileyfox Swift using Tapatalk