Citrojim's Skoda, Saxo, 207 and Bike Tales

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm » 27 Oct 2009, 21:55

Looks very neat Jim 8) my garage looks like someone has put glue on the walls and ceiling then put it on a spin cycle, although its much clearer now ive found a home for my engine hoist and the Gear box has gone back together, carpet is great it is much easier on the knees and soaks the oil up a treat if you have any accidents :oops: :D

D
0x
XM Prestige 92, surgery has begun, RIP faithfull 2.0i
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: An orange Skoda 120, a pretty blue Pug 207, Sally the white Saxo, a Giant TCR Bike and a Giant TCR Pro Bike.

Post by CitroJim » 27 Oct 2009, 22:04

Deanxm wrote:and soaks the oil up a treat if you have any accidents :oops: :D

And the advantage with the tiles is that if any get really badly soaked, I have enough spares to replace them.

You'd be staggered at how much oil runs out of a 4HP20 when you pull it apart :twisted: I reckon there's a good half a litre skulking around in nooks and crannies even after a long drain. There is plenty of opportunity for making a rare old mess. I'm wise now, I lay the 'box on something absorbent when it comes apart to soak all the stray oil up. Tesco Value nappies are ideal for this task and very cheap.
0x
Jim

Please note I do not accept PMs...

Deanxm

Post by Deanxm » 27 Oct 2009, 22:10

Tesco Value nappies are ideal for this task and very cheap.

Damit thats a good idea, i wrote off almost half my collection of good cotton rags with the unexpected D2 oil spillage i had on the stripdown, and good clean cotton bath towels arent given up to me by swmbo easily :lol:

D
0x

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: An orange Skoda 120, a pretty blue Pug 207, Sally the white Saxo, a Giant TCR Bike and a Giant TCR Pro Bike.

Post by CitroJim » 28 Oct 2009, 22:01

Just a very quick one this evening. Ran down to Somerset and back in the V6 today. 35mpg :D :D :D :D :D :D
0x
Jim

XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan » 28 Oct 2009, 22:13

CitroJim wrote:Just a very quick one this evening. Ran down to Somerset and back in the V6 today. 35mpg :D :D :D :D :D :D

Still not better than your old Activa :wink: BTW You got PM.
0x
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
http://www.facebook.com/kidmans

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 28 Oct 2009, 22:26

XantiaMan583 wrote:Still not better than your old Activa :wink:

Nor my present one either :D Best is 37 so far...

I still think 35 from a 3.0L auto is not bad though... It was running on BP Ultimate.

EDIT: PM replied...
0x
Jim

XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan » 28 Oct 2009, 22:28

CitroJim wrote:
XantiaMan583 wrote:Still not better than your old Activa :wink:

Nor my present one either :D Best is 37 so far...

I still think 35 from a 3.0L auto is not bad though... It was running on BP Ultimate.

EDIT: PM replied...

No that is good i agree, bearing in mind its auto, and not a light car. Ever thought of running a slightly thinner oil, and pumping the tyres up a bit more over spec?
0x
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7

Deanxm

Post by Deanxm » 28 Oct 2009, 22:46

It was running on BP Ultimate.

Ever thought of running a slightly thinner oil, and pumping the tyres up a bit more over spec?

Ahem..........cheats :lol:

D
0x

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 28 Oct 2009, 22:56

I'm running 10W/30 semi-synthetic, just recently changed, ready for winter and running Activa pressures in the tyres (2.5F/2.3R)
0x
Jim

XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan » 28 Oct 2009, 23:03

CitroJim wrote:I'm running 10W/30 semi-synthetic, just recently changed, ready for winter and running Activa pressures in the tyres (2.5F/2.3R)

What is the recommended oil grade? I might try a 5w 40, technically same when hot but slightly thinner than a 10w when cold. Engine seems in very good shape and burns no oil, so should be fine. The Transit actually runs a 5w 30!
0x
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7

KP
My Cars:

Post by KP » 29 Oct 2009, 10:18

Jim did you see the old tyres that were on the alloys that you bought off me??

Thats what happens when you go over pressure for 10k... and the one that was the worst was the one i bought brand new when fitting the rims, a Michelin E3A Energy i think it was, rear tyre as well not front so probably didn't help as the fronts tend to scrub the sides down a bit more to make it more even when you run over pressure.. also bad for when it rains, depending on tyre fitted, but still grip is noticably reduced when running higher pressures. When the weather looks like it will be tipping it down or wet for a good few days i often drop my pressures just a bit below reccomended so as to get the best grip possible, especially at the rear :)
0x
1996 Activa with Leather(S2!) AC & Sunroof PALLAS'd
XM 2.5td VSX Estate green 220k running Veg&stuff

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 29 Oct 2009, 23:22

KP wrote:Jim did you see the old tyres that were on the alloys that you bought off me??

Yes, I wondered what the story was behind them Will, It all makes sense now :wink:

Xantia V6 trailered his poorly V6 over this evening and we spent a few hours on initial diagnosis. The noise is almost a scraping kind of sound, very much engine speed related and very loud. We went through all the things that might cause such a noise that was not directly the transmission and checked the starter motor, items driven by the auxillary belt and had the half-moon plate off to get a look at the ring gear, TDC sensor ring and torque converter bolts. All drew a blank so we must now proceed toward the gearbox transmission which means an engine lift.

There are two possibilities as we see it, either the torque converter lockup clutch has broken up or the "B" Clutch has disintegrated and is rubbing metal to metal. The "B" Clutch is favorite as it is engaged even in neutral. This clutch had very much failed in mine. Luckily, hopefully it will have caused no damage as the car will still drive although we pushed the car off the trailer and into it's sick-bay and ran it only for a few seconds to appraise the noise.

I shall be busy tomorrow evening doing the preliminary work to lift the engine and hopefully by the end of the weekend, the engine and transmission will be out and sitting inside my garage ready for further investigation.
0x
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 30 Oct 2009, 23:41

Some good work carried out this evening on the poorly V6 :D

I slipped off a cam cover to make a final check before the preparation work leading to the engine lift. All appeared good there clear so the work commenced in earnest.

Despite a bout of "Dad's Taxi" work and a long phone call, I have the front suspension apart, the LH driveshaft out and the RH driveshaft on the way. The intermediate bearing is putting up a fight (They always do for me these days :twisted: ) but once the time reached 21:30 I thought better of walloping the bearing out due to the noise I'd make. Also, I was beginning to wonder why my legs and feet were feeling wet - it was pouring with rain and I'd not even noticed :lol: :lol: Time top stop for the night...

Weather permitting, work will recommence in the morning when the intermediate bearing will have had a time for a good soak in Plus Gas...

This time round, I found the top "hockey stick" bolt was best attempted by going in from the RH wheelarch rather than try to fiddle around from the other direction and having the exhaust headers get in the way of things.
0x
Jim

davetherave
My Cars:

Post by davetherave » 30 Oct 2009, 23:48

21:30 :shock:
Im inside as soon as its dark! which these days is rather early!!!
0x
(95) XM Silver 2.1td Exclusive.
(87) Cx 2.5 DTR T1 undergoing major cosmetic surgery.
GPZ500s

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 30 Oct 2009, 23:59

davetherave wrote:Im inside as soon as its dark!

Don't they have electricity up in Norwich then Dave :lol: :lol:

I find my little fluorescent lead-lamp and my LED flood gives plenty of light along with that which spills from the garage to work well into the night. The thing I must abide by is my promise to the neighbours not to be too noisy after a certain time.. As it is they're very tolerant of my activities :D
0x
Jim