Citrojim's Skoda, Saxo, 207 and Bike Tales

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: An orange Skoda 120, a pretty blue Pug 207, Sally the white Saxo, a Giant TCR Bike and a Giant TCR Pro Bike.

Re: Citrojim's Xantia V6, C1 and Activa Tales

Post by CitroJim » 12 Jan 2016, 05:15

daviemck2006 wrote:I think you should do the conversion to a silver car Jim [emoji5]

A nice project for you Davie! Yours would be an ideal candidate, that's for sure :D
0x
Jim

Please note I do not accept PMs...

Xantianut
My Cars: 2002 C5 2.0 HDi 110 SX

RIP:
1993 Xantia 1.8i LX
1989 BX16TRS
1986 BX14E x 2

Post by Xantianut » 12 Jan 2016, 15:27

Or,a battleship grey one?
0x
C5 HDi 110 SX (Fifi 7 or Otterchops)

RIP
Citroen Xantia 1.8i LX (Fifi 6)
BX16TRS (x2) (Fifi 4 and 5)
BX19DTR (Fifi 2)
BX14E (x2) (Fifi 1 and 3)

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: An orange Skoda 120, a pretty blue Pug 207, Sally the white Saxo, a Giant TCR Bike and a Giant TCR Pro Bike.

Post by CitroJim » 30 Jan 2016, 10:54

Today I'm performing a major service on Robyn's 207, including cambelt and any other work I find needing to be done. Already found a very noisy aux. belt tensioner that was making worrying noises on idle..

The 207 may be bland and lacklustre but it's proved to be a great workhorse for Robyn, uncomplainingly going between here and Oxford every day for the past couple of years with nary a spot of bother...

More news as work progresses...

Once done it needs an MoT...
0x
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 30 Jan 2016, 12:35

Happy as the proverbial pig in poo working on Robyn's car in the sunshine... Just in warming my hands before fitting the new cambelt and tensioners.

Two things found out: Mr. Haynes reputation for producing books of lies remains unblemished with his 207 offering and the ET3 engine still has the good old traditional TU series cylinder head oil leak...

It's so good to know some things can be relied upon to be a constant in life!!!
0x
Jim

Stickyfinger
Donor 2016
My Cars: Citroen C5x7 Exclusive Tourer
Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Daffodil the AX
V6.Activa donor car

Post by Stickyfinger » 30 Jan 2016, 12:41

Love little cars Jim.....they just keep going :)

Did the brakes on Mums Kia Wed, in for MOT Thursday and I picked it up this morning...Pass, no advisories .....The thing just keeps going despite the abuse it gets (from me) :)

I have been driving it a lot recently as the roads are crappy with mud everywhere (bloody tack-TOrs), ............such fun :)
0x
Alasdair
The ACTIVA, as logical as cubed tumble-weed

http://theresearchsquad.com/

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 30 Jan 2016, 14:11

Stickyfinger wrote:Love little cars Jim.....they just keep going :)

This one certainly does Alasdair and in reality it gets very little attention from me really as Robyn is always out in it...

That's why I'm so impressed with it...

Cambelt is done now... It really was the easiest I've ever done... Even easier that a 16V 2.0 HDi which held that honour until today...

Time now for an oil change...
0x
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 30 Jan 2016, 18:00

That's Robyn's 207 all done and dusted. Full service done, cambelt done and full pre-MOT done. All good bar a blown headlamp bulb and a very noisy auxiliary belt tensioner.

Odd thing, on last year's MOT it received an advisory for a broken rear spring... I looked and looked but can find no broken springs anywhere on the car... Reckon the tester must have got mixed up... If a rear spring does break though they're a doddle to change...

I was horrified at the cost of a new tensioner. Nearly £70 :twisted: Bargain ones on the 'bay were not much cheaper...

Luckily I'd not long since received an email from GSF offering 33% off this weekend and it worked a treat. Brought the cost down to something approaching OK... I've also ordered a new auxiliary belt too. Daft not to fit one along with the new tensioner...

Thoroughly enjoyed myself today, getting the spanners out has been wonderful despite the cold... I almost forgot just how much I enjoy it...
0x
Jim

KP
My Cars:

Post by KP » 30 Jan 2016, 18:29

Tensioners are just silly money these days Jim, the manually adjusted one for my 2.5 without AC is well over £100 from the dealer but I just snagged a NOS for £40 including delivery but they don't even supply the nut bolt and washer as they class them as separate parts at £4-8 per item!!! Needless to say the old ones will be reused and the belt was a NOS for £4 which was bargain enough to buy two! Cambelt was only £12 as well but then it's tensioners aren't as easy to find
0x
1996 Activa with Leather(S2!) AC & Sunroof PALLAS'd
XM 2.5td VSX Estate green 220k running Veg&stuff

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 30 Jan 2016, 21:20

A few pictures from the 207 cambelt swap..

If anyone wants, I have a complete photo-sequence of the whole job...

First, old belt off, cams locked and tensioner and jockey removed...

You can see in the above the famous TU (and ET) signature had gasket oil weep!!!

Belt on and tensioner and jockey:

So easy, with the engine mount removed so much room too :D

Also easy is finding the crank locking hole. It's no longer hidden!!!

Again, a bit of kunifer brake pipe does the job admirably!
0x
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 07 Feb 2016, 16:31

I put a new auxiliary belt and tensioner on Robyn's car, looked for the broken spring again but no sign of it as far as I could see..

However, Robyn found her MoT was due yesterday so popped it in her local garage for a test. It failed :(

Yes, on that broken spring :evil:

As time was against us, the garage did the job and charged £160 for that and the MoT which I felt was OK...

I'm just happy the car passed on everything else although Robyn has said there's some advisories...

It was Dad's 92nd birthday on Friday so I went to see him yesterday laden with goodies, mostly of the cooked and baked variety! Atrocious weather but the Activa simply purred through all of it and dismissed it... It was a lovely day and a lovely drive...

I called in to see Alasdair (Stickyfinger) on my way home and was delighted with a small present he had for me... One of these:

I'm delighted with it. Sadly the picture does not do full justice to it...

Went out for a 20 mile bike ride today as it was dry and sunny. Largely to undo the damage all that sitting around driving did yesterday... Most of the ride was into a very strong headwind and therefore an excellent workout! Very much enjoyed and I still maintained a good average pace... Nice too to ride my best bike for a change...

Here's the ride on Strava
0x
Jim

Northerner
Locked user account

Post by Northerner » 07 Feb 2016, 17:31

I want one !!

Or even two at a push :wink:
0x
Northerner_Mike

1995 Xantia TD SX 95k (just about a runner!)
1996 Xantia Activa 121k
1998 Xantia Activa 120k
1998 Xantia V6 98k
Mostly non-runners so being moved on except for ...
Hyundai i10 2k, at least it moves!!
Slowly!!!

Hell Razor5543
NOT Alistair or Simon
My Cars: C5 Mk1 VTR estate, Icelandic Grey (I think she is called "Bluebird")

Post by Hell Razor5543 » 07 Feb 2016, 18:19

Jim, with your engineering skills I may have come up with a way to get some exercise on the bike when the weather is too bad (and a way to charge up some batteries). Build a frame capable of holding a bicycle safely secure when you are sitting on it, and with a couple of heavy duty rollers for the back wheel (not unlike the rollers used for testing car brakes during MoTs), but with an alternator (or two) attached. Hook up the batteries, get on the bike, start pedalling, and (maybe) at the end you have got batteries with a full charge!
0x
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX

C5 VTR HDi estate, 76518762
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 07 Feb 2016, 18:37

Hell Razor5543 wrote:Jim, with your engineering skills I may have come up with a way to get some exercise on the bike when the weather is too bad (and a way to charge up some batteries).

That's a good idea James :-D Maybe I can modify my Turbo Trainer to do this bit in all honesty the weather has to be pretty bad to keep me off my bike... So far this year I've only lost one day to the weather commuting to work by bike and that day was not really that bad...

The other problem is I like to be out and about; cycling on a Turbo can be very boring unless you have Zwift and that demands a very expensive Turbo Trainer that has communications. In fact one of the original reasons I got back into cycling was boredom from riding my static exercise bike... I know every millimetre of mu conservatory from long hours in the saddle of that thing...

Maybe I'd be better off making a generator to charge up my bike lights from the static bike, which still gets used nearly every morning, and then at least it's doing something useful..

Maybe I could charge my phone and laptop from it too...

James you've given me food for thought!
0x
Jim

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: 2003 C5 2.0 HDi 110 SX 220,400

Post by myglaren » 07 Feb 2016, 18:41

Hell Razor5543 wrote:Jim, with your engineering skills I may have come up with a way to get some exercise on the bike when the weather is too bad (and a way to charge up some batteries). Build a frame capable of holding a bicycle safely secure when you are sitting on it, and with a couple of heavy duty rollers for the back wheel (not unlike the rollers used for testing car brakes during MoTs), but with an alternator (or two) attached. Hook up the batteries, get on the bike, start pedalling, and (maybe) at the end you have got batteries with a full charge!

Patented in "Soylent Green" :)
Watch from 4' 35"

Second occasion I have had to mention that today although the other was under tragic circumstances.
0x

Jackie Evancho

KP
My Cars:

Post by KP » 07 Feb 2016, 19:07

The best thing Jim is probably some cheap roller generators like bikes used to have but dumping into a super capacitor or two and that way you can use the juice as quickly or slowly as you want as the self drain on them is enough for some people to be using sets as car batteries :)
0x
1996 Activa with Leather(S2!) AC & Sunroof PALLAS'd
XM 2.5td VSX Estate green 220k running Veg&stuff