Citrojim's Activa, 207 and Bike Tales

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers » 25 Sep 2009, 22:33

Jim, Finmere for the fitting of exhausts?

I was contemplating buying a new center section and clamps, so that'd be about £55

5th Oct should be good for me, got nothing lined up (unfortunately).
Film and photos would be an excellent idea, I've got a DSLR, have either you or Kev got a camcorder?
If not, I'm sure I can borrow dad's.
0x
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool

red_dwarfers
donor 2017
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers » 25 Sep 2009, 22:42

Ooo Jim/Xac, you don't fancy making that a long weekend from the 23rd to 26/27th of October do you? :oops: I can almost certainly get those days off. Im not going to be able to get any time off during term time :cry:
I suppose it would be a struggle doing it within a full weekend?
0x
Kev

'98 S1 Xantia 1.9 TurboD Desire 2
'97 S2 XM 2.1 TurboD Manual VSX
'81 GSA 1.3 Club
'93 Peugeot 605 2.1 TurboD Manual SRDT

Citroen Car Club G Section committee member

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: A red Xantia Activa, a pretty blue Pug 207, a Giant TCR Bike and a Giant TCR Pro Bike.

Post by CitroJim » 25 Sep 2009, 22:42

Xac, excellent :D Finmere would be perfect! A dual exhaust job then? Might get discount for quantity :lol: :lol:

Do the matrices at my house though as I need ALL my tools at hand...

XantiaMan583 wrote:May pop up there tomorrow to get a quote.

Could you get a quote for my V6 at the same time please Gareth? Complete system, including cat. Don't fancy the chances of a V6 going through the MOT decatted somehow :roll:
0x
Jim

Please note I do not accept PMs...

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: A red Xantia Activa, a pretty blue Pug 207, a Giant TCR Bike and a Giant TCR Pro Bike.

Post by CitroJim » 25 Sep 2009, 22:46

red_dwarfers wrote:Ooo Jim/Xac, you don't fancy making that a long weekend from the 23rd to 26/27th of October do you? :oops: I can almost certainly get those days off. Im not going to be able to get any time off during term time :cry:

That weekend is right out for me unfortunately Kev :cry: Already booked up by work :twisted:

Week after next is one week I can slip off from work without causing too much grief....
0x
Jim

Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers » 25 Sep 2009, 22:48

CitroJim wrote:
red_dwarfers wrote:Ooo Jim/Xac, you don't fancy making that a long weekend from the 23rd to 26/27th of October do you? :oops: I can almost certainly get those days off. Im not going to be able to get any time off during term time :cry:

That weekend is right out for me unfortunately Kev :cry: Already booked up by work :twisted:

Week after next is one week I can slip off from work without causing too much grief....

And with autumn well on it's way, I'd rather get the job done sooner than later, sorry Kev.
0x

DIY sphere tool

red_dwarfers
donor 2017
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers » 25 Sep 2009, 22:50

Tis a shame that :( oh well not to worry :)
It would be invaluable if someone could film the job, I'm still up for editing the footage though :D
0x
Kev

'97 S2 XM 2.1 TurboD Manual VSX
'81 GSA 1.3 Club
'93 Peugeot 605 2.1 TurboD Manual SRDT

Citroen Car Club G Section committee member

Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers » 26 Sep 2009, 00:01

CitroJim wrote:Xac, excellent :D Finmere would be perfect! A dual exhaust job then? Might get discount for quantity :lol: :lol:

Could phone them and ask, I can pop up during the week and pick a complete system for you and the middle section for me :)
0x

DIY sphere tool

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 26 Sep 2009, 19:20

Did an oil and filter change on the V6 this morning as a nice, gentle introduction to a busy day. I took a good look at the pinion valve return hose and was pleased to see it nice and dry following the replacement of the perished pipe a few days ago.

This was the end of the old pipe where it slips over the end of the metal pipe. You can see the cracks that were weeping LHM.

Alex, and old friend of mine and erstwhile owner of a Peugeot 309GTi Goodwood dropped by this afternoon with a pair of Peugeot 106 front struts under his arm. He needed the wheel bearings replaced. Did he just :o They were nearly seized!

They were well rusted in and just getting the retaining circlips out proved quite a challenge, being firmly rusted in their grooves.

The hydraulic press made short work of extracting the old bearings but we were both quite surprised to see a force of almost 7 tons being needed to shift them from where they had been for the past 18 years!!!

The old bearings were full of rust and not a trace of grease left in them. Speaking about it to Dad, he thinks the car might have been stranded in floodwater at some time in its life.

The new bearings slipped home nicely, needing only about a ton and a half of force to settle them in.

All this talk of tons of force needed to do the bearings makes me wonder if Haynes ever actually tried this job using the vice method they suggest in the BoL for removing and replacing them. Perhaps on a new car it might have worked but on a J plater with 140,000 miles on the clock, no way!
0x
Jim

John Plum
My Cars:

Post by John Plum » 29 Sep 2009, 03:21

I'd like to get an rss feed for this blog. :wink:
0x
John Plum
Xantia II Estate,1999, 2.0 HDI LX, 17000 miles, manual

xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 » 29 Sep 2009, 06:47

Jim, Is there any way I can help with your matrix jobby? I need to build up some credit points for later help in stripping down the 4HP20 from my Mk2 V6.
0x

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: 2003 C5 2.0 HDi 110 SX 219,600

Post by myglaren » 29 Sep 2009, 07:06

John Plum wrote:I'd like to get an rss feed for this blog. Wink

Now you have posted in it you will get email notifications which are the next best thing :)
Last edited by myglaren on 29 Sep 2009, 18:45, edited 1 time in total.
0x

Jackie Evancho

John Plum
My Cars:

phpbb2/phpbb3

Post by John Plum » 29 Sep 2009, 17:04

CitroJim wrote:Behind the scenes, work continues well with the new forum server and converting the forums to phpBB3. My personal jury is out over whether or not phpBB3 is a good move or if we should stick to phpBB2 as we are on now. have a look at the new test forums at www.xantiav6.co.uk/forum for the FCF and www.xantiaactiva.co.uk/forum for the BXC and tell me what you think. I'm not happy with the speed of phpBB3.
hard...

Some tests (Safari webkit web inspeector):

:idea: (phpbb3)
http://www.xantiaactiva.co.uk/forum/vie ... 330d5c8b81
images 9.3
Docs: 1.37
Total 12 s

:idea:(phpbb2)
Thie orginal post (quoted from)

docs 3.63
images 977 ms
total 4.61 s

THe phpBB3 has more images, and I don't lknow their size.

Here 's one for Alan on the years anniversary of his passing away:
:idea: phpBB3
http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=24952
docs: 2.99s
images 804ms
other 423 ms
Total: 4.47s

This last phpbb3 has no images, other than avatars.
0x
John Plum
Xantia II Estate,1999, 2.0 HDI LX, 17000 miles, manual

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 29 Sep 2009, 20:58

xantia_v6 wrote:Jim, Is there any way I can help with your matrix jobby? I need to build up some credit points for later help in stripping down the 4HP20 from my Mk2 V6.

Sadly not :( It's just been done \:D/ \:D/ I unexpectedly had a couple of days off this week for complex reasons involving compensation for being unable to take next week off as planned due to work commitments and time owed.

No worries on the gearbox sir, you absolutely do not have to build up any sort of credit for a job like that; I'll be only too happy to :D

Xac, at incredibly short notice, came over to join me in the adventure and we got stuck in. I started at 8 AM and finished the last bit as 7:30 :twisted: Thanks Xac, absolutely wonderful and very heavily appreciated :D

Paul (Citroenxm) was the unwitting star of the show as he gave us a hint of how to make the job easier by splitting the heater box inside the car and thus avoiding disturbing the LHM reservoir and aircon drain and so on. This made the whole job so much easier. Paul, I am forever deeply indebted to you for that.

We also took an opportunity to try disconnecting the matrix pipework at the matrix itself on the flange where it joins the matrix proper. That helps enormously too. The joint is sealed by two O rings and I reckon now it's these that fail and not the matrix itself. In my old one the O rings had gone brittle and fell apart. It was clearly leaking from that flange.

The heaterbox was full of antifreeze crystals which we blew out with an airline.

The most tedious job was to unjoin the two hoses that had been cut and jointed together with a length of copper pipe. I got hold of a Citroen Berlingo connector with pipes attached and it took ages to trim these to a suitable size and connect them to the existing V6 pipery. I'm not entirely happy with the result but it's better that what was there. I discovered that one pipe as previously bodged was running very close to the rear bank exhaust and could have burned through at any time :evil:

Xac has taken a good number of pictures of the important little bits to help anyone doing the job.

So now I have heat and that lovely smell that comes with a new matrix :D Bliss!

We do it all over again tomorrow as we're replacing the matrix in Xac's Activa 8)

I reckon using Paul's heaterbox split and disconnecting the matrix water pipes at the flange, we can bring the job down to 8 hours...

Tomorrow we'll see!

I'm well exhausted so off to bed in a bit ready for Matrix No. 2 tomorrow...

My apologies for not being around on the forum today but you know why now!

Again, huge and heartfelt thanks to both Xac and Paul for their massive contributions to the success of our endeavours today :D :D
0x
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 29 Sep 2009, 21:02

Forgot to say. The scuttle panel came off OK although it took some patient work with a very sharp craft knife and warmth from the sun. Another of Paul's incredibly valuable contributions to the job. Thanks again Paul :D

My windscreen and scuttle seal were original and had never previously bee disturbed.
0x
Jim

red_dwarfers
donor 2017
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers » 29 Sep 2009, 21:09

Glad to hear the first one went swimmingly :D
Im looking forward to seeing these photos :lol:
0x
Kev