Citrojim's Skoda, Saxo, 207 and Bike Tales

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

Hell Razor5543
NOT Alistair or Simon
My Cars: C5 Mk1 VTR estate, Icelandic Grey (I think she is called "Bluebird")

Re: Citrojim's Xantia, C1 and XM Tales

Post by Hell Razor5543 » 15 Oct 2014, 17:30

With toast made with home made bread?
0x
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX

C5 VTR HDi estate, 76518762
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: An orange Skoda 120, a pretty blue Pug 207, Sally the white Saxo, a Giant TCR Bike and a Giant TCR Pro Bike.

Post by CitroJim » 15 Oct 2014, 17:36

Hell Razor5543 wrote:With toast made with home made bread?

No, the remains of a fish bake I made a few days ago... A Mary Berry recipe with a few tweaks... Gorgeous..

I will be enjoying it with a slice of home-made bread James...

You can safely assume all I eat these days is home-made :-D

I do enjoy a tin of oily fish, usually mackerel, with a slice of bread on Fridays before Karate as I can't train if I've eaten a big meal...

I then enjoy a home-made scone with home-made jam and clotted cream when I get home from Karate...

I've not tried making clotted cream at home yet...
0x
Jim

Please note I do not accept PMs...

Hell Razor5543
NOT Alistair or Simon

Post by Hell Razor5543 » 15 Oct 2014, 17:39

CitroJim wrote:I've not tried making clotted cream at home yet...

So long as it is clotted cream, and not cream made by a clot! :lol:
0x
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: An orange Skoda 120, a pretty blue Pug 207, Sally the white Saxo, a Giant TCR Bike and a Giant TCR Pro Bike.

Post by CitroJim » 15 Oct 2014, 17:42

Hell Razor5543 wrote:
CitroJim wrote:I've not tried making clotted cream at home yet...

So long as it is clotted cream, and not cream made by a clot! :lol:

No, finest Rodda's Cornish :-D

Interestingly, Tesco Finest Clotted Cream is also made by Roddas... It says so on the box...
0x
Jim

Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike » 15 Oct 2014, 17:55

CitroJim wrote:
northern_mike wrote:You must love McDonald's Jim!

:twisted:

Nope. But I have been known to eat and enjoy one of their excuses for breakfast. A muffin with with looks like an artificial egg in it. Their Hash browns are not bad either. A bit fatty and oily for me but just tolerable...

Their burgers make me ill.

And their coffee is disgusting in the extreme.

I feel pretty much the same about McDonald's. I do enjoy a "sausage" and "egg" Mcmuffin occasionally , and the hash browns.

When was the last time you had a coffee in there Jim? It used to be foul but it's changed in recent years and I found it reasonable.

I was most disappointed by the coffee in Belgium. I'd have thought in the land of waffles, chocolate and cafes I'd be able to get a decent cup of coffee. Not a chance.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
0x

Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike » 15 Oct 2014, 17:57

CitroJim wrote:
myglaren wrote:Yes! Pink Slime & Worm Meat :twisted:

That's put me right off Steve....

:twisted:

If you're ever at a loose end or need something to watch while on the cross trainer , see if you can find Supersize Me... I was never a huge fan of McDonald's anyway, but since I watched that 10 years ago, apart from an occasional Mcmuffin - one this year - I've never been in one since.

0x

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: '07 307 SW 1.6 HDi 110
'08 C4 Grand Picasso 1.6 HDi 110

Post by RichardW » 15 Oct 2014, 18:03

Rodda's:

The largest UK manufacturer is Rodda's, a family-owned business based in Scorrier, Cornwall.[29] Founded in 1890,[2] the company was producing over 1,000,000 pounds (450,000 kg) per year in 1985,[7] and in 2010 the managing director said that they might produce as little as 5 or 6 tons (5,000 or 6,000 kg) a day in January, but up to 25 tons (25,000 kg) a day as Christmas approached.[2] In the early 1980s, Rodda's signed deals with international airlines to serve small tubs of clotted cream with the in-flight desserts,[7] and the company considers the annual Wimbledon tennis championships one of their peak selling periods. As a by-product, for every 100 imperial gallons (450 l; 120 US gal) of milk used, 94 imperial gallons (430 l; 113 US gal) of skimmed milk is produced, which is then used in food manufacture.[2]

25 TONS a day :shock:

Seems easy enough to make http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/clotted-cream-2214 Easier to scoff it out of a pot though.... :rofl2:
0x
Richard W
Still not welding the de-cap...
1.6 HDi central (C4 Picasso / 307 SW)
Xantia HDi 110 now bean tins

Hell Razor5543
NOT Alistair or Simon

Post by Hell Razor5543 » 15 Oct 2014, 18:11

I remember a friend shopping at Makro finding a 2l tub of brandy cream, reduced in price as it only had a few days left on its' use-by date. He showed it to his wife, who asked "What are you going to eat that with?". His response got hoots of laughter out of all of us there. "With a spoon!". :rofl2:
0x
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 15 Oct 2014, 19:15

Richard, thanks for that article on Roddas. Enjoyed it greatly :-D

RichardW wrote:25 TONS a day :shock:

Gosh, it's almost unimaginable isn't it... Keep me going for about a month I reckon.

I have to confess I'm totally addicted to the stuff but ration myself to one scone per evening :) I have two food addictions and both are bad - Clotted cream and dark Muscovado sugar. In fact all sugar...

Mike, the last McD's coffee I had was when that Scottish feller won a game of tennis so not that long ago. I think they mixed up the jar of Nescafe with a tin of caustic soda. It was that rough...

James, :rofl2:
0x
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 15 Oct 2014, 19:42

I wonder what the specific heat capacity of a Christmas cake is?

Three hours out of the oven and it's still far too warn to wrap and tin :o

It's more like a storage heater than a cake...
0x
Jim

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: 2003 C5 2.0 HDi 110 SX 220,400

Post by myglaren » 15 Oct 2014, 21:03

Hell Razor5543 wrote:I remember a friend shopping at Makro finding a 2l tub of brandy cream, reduced in price as it only had a few days left on its' use-by date. He showed it to his wife, who asked "What are you going to eat that with?". His response got hoots of laughter out of all of us there. "With a spoon!". :rofl2:

:mrgreen:
I used to work with an American bloke who told us that when his family were on the road they would have to stop at every McD's to feed his sister. He thought that McD's was appalling.

I was prepared to hate them but we went into one in Denmark, on our way to Munich and I was very surprised.
It was 3am and deserted but the staff were friendly, helpful and alert, the food was fine, fresh bread baked on the premises, a delicious side salad (free and eat all you want) very good coffee and very low prices. 5*

They opened one here (South Shields to be precise) in about 1983 and my second daughter would have her birthday there.
I was expecting the same treatment and boy was I disappointed.
Crap food, crap service and stupid prices. Never again. -5*
0x

Jackie Evancho

Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike » 15 Oct 2014, 21:29

myglaren wrote:
Hell Razor5543 wrote:I remember a friend shopping at Makro finding a 2l tub of brandy cream, reduced in price as it only had a few days left on its' use-by date. He showed it to his wife, who asked "What are you going to eat that with?". His response got hoots of laughter out of all of us there. "With a spoon!". :rofl2:

:mrgreen:
I used to work with an American bloke who told us that when his family were on the road they would have to stop at every McD's to feed his sister.

My American brother-in-law was just like this when he moved to the UK two years ago. Hardly ate anything else, and his 7 year old son much the same.

McDonald's in Brazil was actually very good. They'd had to change the product there as the locals have that much access to good meat they simply won't buy crap.

0x

Hell Razor5543
NOT Alistair or Simon

Post by Hell Razor5543 » 15 Oct 2014, 21:40

As my Great Aunt is from the Argentine (well, she was born in Uruguay, but that is a complicated story), when she and her children go back they comment on how good the meat is. Bob has cultivated his local butcher (in Sussex), and he always gets good meat from them. Ailsa has found that Martindales (on the Isle of Wight) know what they are doing, to the point that half the pubs and restaurants order from them.
0x
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 18 Oct 2014, 17:58

Yesterday evening was interesting. In celebration of World Karate Day we performed 100 katas one after the other. We achieved our target in less than 90 minutes. We performed 100 Heian Nidan katas and if anyone is interesting in exactly what they are, look for videos on youtube.

All I know is it proved just how fit I am. Others were collapsing after the 100 but I was still good to do a lot more. A few gave up before the 100 were done...

This morning I had my 'MOT' at the doctors and I passed it with no advisories whatsoever except a word to say keep doing what you’re doing because it's working :-D

This afternoon I turned my attention to the V6. I'd noticed last week that I had a ting LHM weep from the HP Pump that was causing a very tiny drip. Luckily this was a weep from where the suction pipe is attached to the pump. It was my own fault as I tried to reuse the original clip which was past it's best.

So I popped a new jubilee clip on and all seems well.

Being such a lovely afternoon, I thought I'd get the back box replaced. I pulled the old one off and found the end of the centre section was rusted out too... No worries, I had a spare and fitted it. Then I unpacked the backbox I'd had in stock here for ages and found one of the hangers had broken off at the weld so I was unable to fit it.

I now remember why I hate doing exhausts. I'm not doing any more with it now as it needs welding and I'm not good enough to do that so next week I'll send the car to my favourite local garage to have the work done... They can have the worry of it!

I just hope the backbox I have waiting at dad's is OK and not broken at the hangers...
0x
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 22 Oct 2014, 19:07

The V6 has a nice new exhaust fitted and my goodness isn't it quiet :-D

My local garage charged me the princely sum of £35 for fitting it. They called me down to show me the supplied clips wouldn't fit and had to use different ones...

The mechanic also asked if I knew the tailpipes were "on the p*ss.." I said yes and that all of them we've seen are like that...

Dug the Activa out of hibernation today, not used it for three weeks and it was an utter joy to drive...

I'll be using the Activa now for a few weekends until the weather closes in and then the V6 will be in service again. I reckon in the dead of winter and going on the C1's heater performance the V6 will see a bit of winter use...
0x
Jim