Citrojim's Skoda, Saxo, 207 and Bike Tales

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

Hell Razor5543
NOT Alistair or Simon
My Cars: C5 Mk1 VTR estate, Icelandic Grey (I think she is called "Bluebird")

Re: Citrojim's Xantia, C1 and XM Tales

Post by Hell Razor5543 » 15 Sep 2014, 10:45

Mandrake wrote:If their search option recommended those spark plugs to you on the basis of your registration plate or engine type, can you not get a refund based on "not fit for purpose" or "mis-sold" ? :?

Fair comment. If you were to get Citroens' specification requirements for the spark plugs, and take them with you, you can prove ECP gave mis-leading information (especially if you were to print out the details from the ECP website, and drive to their location in the Xantia in question). The exception would be if the plugs they supplied superseded the original spark plugs.
0x
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX

C5 VTR HDi estate, 76518762
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!

Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake » 15 Sep 2014, 11:48

Hell Razor5543 wrote:Fair comment. If you were to get Citroëns' specification requirements for the spark plugs, and take them with you, you can prove ECP gave mis-leading information (especially if you were to print out the details from the ECP website, and drive to their location in the Xantia in question). The exception would be if the plugs they supplied superseded the original spark plugs.

You shouldn't need to go quite that far - a print out showing that type of plug was recommended by their website should be all that's needed.

There are dozens of variations of each spark plug family where most of them are "compatible" to varying degrees, for example different heat ranges, whether they have a resistor or not, electrode number and material etc... They might not last as long or work as well but you probably wouldn't be able to get a refund just on it being a slightly different heat range than recommended for example.

But taper seat versus gasket seat is pretty clear cut - they're not mechanically compatible and could cause engine damage long term (burning at the very narrow contact point) so there is no doubt that they mis-sold them if indeed a number plate/engine search on the website told the customer to buy that type.

I'd certainly phone to complain to get a refund if it was me, more on principle than for cost reasons. It might also prevent some other innocent party buying and fitting the wrong spark plugs if they're made aware of the mistake...
0x
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver

1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: An orange Skoda 120, a pretty blue Pug 207, Sally the white Saxo, a Giant TCR Bike and a Giant TCR Pro Bike.

Post by CitroJim » 15 Sep 2014, 18:32

Mandrake wrote:I'd certainly phone to complain to get a refund if it was me, more on principle than for cost reasons. It might also prevent some other innocent party buying and fitting the wrong spark plugs if they're made aware of the mistake...

I will be doing just that Simon...
0x
Jim

Please note I do not accept PMs...

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: An orange Skoda 120, a pretty blue Pug 207, Sally the white Saxo, a Giant TCR Bike and a Giant TCR Pro Bike.

Post by CitroJim » 17 Sep 2014, 18:53

Went to Nottingham today in the V6 to take Siany back to Uni. It's been a lovely day and the V6 was an absolute delight in all ways. She's running like a clock and using less petrol now. A real pleasure to drive :-D

I'm not happy with ECP. Got my replacement plugs today only to find one damaged. It was unboxed and loose. The electrodes are bent, the washer is distorted and there's thread damage. Looks like it was dropped from a great height...

ECP are going to be on the receiving end of a stern complaint tomorrow :evil:
0x
Jim

Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake » 18 Sep 2014, 13:52

Sorry to hear that Jim, that's not good service at all, especially after selling you the wrong ones in the first place!

Interesting that it's using less petrol now, it will be interesting to see how the replacement FR8KDC compare to the currently fitted ones...
0x
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver

1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive

Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike » 18 Sep 2014, 14:03

It's pretty shoddy service. This is why I always use Halfords for plugs and (usually) tools. I've never had a problem with returning anything. I realise they can be a bit pricy sometimes but for the convenience, it's sometimes worth it. I once returned 3 plug spanners in one day and they didn't question me!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
0x

Hell Razor5543
NOT Alistair or Simon
My Cars: C5 Mk1 VTR estate, Icelandic Grey (I think she is called "Bluebird")

Post by Hell Razor5543 » 18 Sep 2014, 23:05

CitroJim wrote:I'm not happy with ECP. Got my replacement plugs today only to find one damaged. It was unboxed and loose. The electrodes are bent, the washer is distorted and there's thread damage. Looks like it was dropped from a great height...

ECP are going to be on the receiving end of a stern complaint tomorrow :evil:

And that is why citronut won't used them! I personally haven't had any problems with them. On one occasion I ordered a rear brake kit, only to find (at the store) the bag was torn, and bits were missing. The guy on the counter got on the phone, and I got the replacement set that afternoon (and the counter guy said he had checked it when it arrived, and checked it again in front of me!). Mind you, I wonder if he would have been so helpful if I didn't spot the damage until I got home?
0x
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX

C5 VTR HDi estate, 76518762
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 19 Sep 2014, 17:30

I shan't be using them again in a hurry :twisted:

I'm not well. Gone down with quite a rotten coldly sort of nondescript virusy thing and only just surfaced. Been resting all day...

I must be bad. I'm even giving karate a miss this evening :(

So I've not yet got hold of ECP to register my unhappiness. At the moment I just can't be bothered..

All weekend plans are now off.
0x
Jim

Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike » 19 Sep 2014, 17:34

I hope it's the same strain of whatever it is that I had last week Jim. I felt rotten for about 18 hours then was fine again.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
0x

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 19 Sep 2014, 17:39

I've been rough for 24 hours so far Mike. It struck me at around this time yesterday and I'm not yet feeling too wonderful although better than I did this time yesterday. I'm hoping tomorrow morning after a good sleep I'll be much better...

[-o<
0x
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 21 Sep 2014, 04:02

Mike, you were right :-D I started feeling better yesterday and today I'm pretty much back to normal. I'll be off to karate this morning :-D

Then I'm out to lunch with Robyn at a sushi bar in Milton Keynes and then I'd better start catching up on all I've not got done this weekend :twisted:
0x
Jim

citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut » 21 Sep 2014, 19:04

CitroJim wrote: today I'm pretty much back to normal.

who'z opinion Jim :twisted: :-D :lol: :rofl2: :rofl2: :wink:

hope your feeling your self again now hun [-o< :-D :wink:
0x
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 21 Sep 2014, 19:17

citronut wrote:
CitroJim wrote: today I'm pretty much back to normal.

who'z opinion Jim :twisted: :-D :lol: :rofl2: :rofl2: :wink:

:-D Normal in the physical sense only Malcolm. Mentally it's a different matter. Dysfunctional as normal I think so I suppose I am all back to normal :)

citronut wrote:hope your feeling your self again now hun [-o< :-D :wink:

Gave that up years ago :rofl2:

It's been a lovely day today. Lunch with Robyn and Greg was really great and the sushi was delicious 8-) Once you get over the basic fact you're eating raw fish you can then appreciate it and really enjoy it.
0x
Jim

demag
Donor 2016
My Cars: "H" Citroen Bx Tgs Automatic.
2004 Citroen C5 Exclusive Estate 2.2 hdi Automatic.

Post by demag » 21 Sep 2014, 19:25

Sounds idyllic. I'm doing 12 hour night shifts. Glad you're feeling well again Jim.
0x
Dave

'04 C5 auto estate 2.2 hdi.
Bx 1.6 TGS Auto 50k A rare beast by all accounts. A bit tired but getting better by the day.
'96 XM 2.5TD VSX.......Sadly sold. What an idiot! I should have held on to that.

citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut » 21 Sep 2014, 21:18

CitroJim wrote:and the sushi was delicious 8-) Once you get over the basic fact you're eating raw fish you can then appreciate it and really enjoy it.

sounds a bit fishy to me Jim :o :roll: #-o :-D :lol: :rofl2: :rofl2:
0x
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years