Citrojim's Activa, 207 and Bike Tales

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

KP
My Cars:

Re: Citrojim's Xantia, C1 and XM Tales

Post by KP » 30 Jul 2014, 22:02

It sounds like between a few of us we might be able to put the citroen stock depot to shame as I have a few for the xm pump :)
0 x
1996 Activa with Leather(S2!) AC & Sunroof PALLAS'd
XM 2.5td VSX Estate green 220k running Veg&stuff

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: A red Xantia Activa, a pretty blue Pug 207, a Giant TCR Bike and a Giant TCR Pro Bike.

Post by CitroJim » 02 Aug 2014, 14:10

Been a busy morning. House cleaned from top to bottom, gardens tidied and both Eyelashes and the Activa have had a much deserved clean, both inside and out.

Sadly Eyelashes has had to loose them because they were beginning to mark the paint on the bonnet :( It was amazing how they flapped about at speed.

I timed the external wash of the cars perfectly. I'd almost finished before heavy rain came on and saved me the job of rinsing and leathering them :-D

I got a bit of a shower too :lol:

Put a new set of wipers on the Activa as I noted one had split last evening when out and about in light rain... They've not done bad. Can't recall the last time I replaced them, if ever!

Just been on the 'bay and bought a quantity of V6 oil filters, sump plug washers and a set of spark plugs for the V6 ready for the time I get an opportunity to swap them and the cambelt. Hopefully next weekend...
0 x
Jim

Please note I do not accept PMs...

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: A red Xantia Activa, a pretty blue Pug 207, a Giant TCR Bike and a Giant TCR Pro Bike.

Post by CitroJim » 03 Aug 2014, 16:48

A good day in the workshop today. I’ve completed the disassembly of a Mazda RX-8 gearbox which we partially stripped in the week to extract the input shaft so it could be modified to work with the modified bellhousing assembly so it can mate with an ES9 engine :)

When we partially pulled it apart we (or I) had a worry about some unexpected pingfuckets but these were traced to a set of synchro hub detent springs and balls. Another potential pingfucket was the gear selector shaft detents. That's all sorted, the disassembled gear assemblies have been documented, photographed and packed away in an orderly fashion ready for reassembly when the modified input shaft turns up.

I must say the RX-8 'box is a gorgeous piece to engineering, just like the engine it normally lives with. I've rather enjoyed working on what to me is a new gearbox :-D

That done I turned my attention to Kev's (Red Dwarfers) diesel pump from his 605 that's been foxing him. It will run and idle as long as the primer bulb is pressed repeatedly but stops as soon as the bulb is released. Kev sent the pump to me as a kit of parts as he'd already disassembled the pump to try to find the issue.

The car has clearly stood idle for a while as the pump is a bit corroded and gummy inside from rancid diesel. It's OK and with a good clean and polish it'll live again. I believe I've found the main causes of the problem; a gummed-up transfer pressure regulator. It would certainly explain the fault as the pump is unable to build transfer pressure but pumping the priming bulb gives just enough to allow the engine to start and idle.

That'll do for today. I must now rest up ready for Steve's (Trainman) visit tomorrow :-D
0 x
Jim

bxzx16v
My Cars: Past Frenchies , 4xBx16v,1xBxGti,1xBxTzd,2xZx Volcanes,1xZx reflex,1xPug 405mi16, 3x Xantia 1.9td's,1x Xantia activa, 2x Renault 25 V6 turbo, 1 Zx16v ,1 Pug 406 V6 coupe ,1x C8 , 1x Berlingo van , 1x Xanti 2.1td , 1x Renault Laguna 3

Post by bxzx16v » 03 Aug 2014, 18:36

Have fun tomorrow Jim.

Mark
0 x
2009 Landrover Freelander 2 TD4se.

Citroenmad
My Cars:

Post by Citroenmad » 08 Aug 2014, 13:29

The boost controller is no doubt an excellent addition to your Activa Jim, I couldn't have a one without it now.

Pleased your C1 has lots it's makeover! :lol:
0 x
Chris
16 C4 Cactus BlueHDi Flair
05 C4 2.0 16v Exclusive
54 Audi A2 FSi SE
51 VW Passat V6 TDi Estate

Family Citroens:
64 C4 Cactus BlueHDi Feel Red
15 C3 Picasso 1.6HDi Exclusive
56 C5 2.0HDi 138 16v VTR Estate
95 C15 6-wheel
55 Traction 6H

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 10 Aug 2014, 07:59

This weekend I planned to replace the V6 cambelt, fix a weep on the HP pump and swap the spark plugs plus any other jobs that became apparent.

Sadly the weather has put paid as I knew, with all else I have on, I could not complete it in a day and planned to spread it over yesterday, this afternoon and Wednesday if needed.

Yesterday was lovely but the forecast is distinctly moist from now on so the job has been postponed. Instead I used the time to get a load of small outdoor jobs done before the remains of Hurricane Bertha hits. She certainly has hit this morning...

I'm off in the V6 to see Dad next Saturday. Already been baking for him. A cake and a batch of flapjacks so far with a batch of scones and a loaf of bread to be added on Friday. It'll be the first decent run the V6 had since the National.

Tuesday I'm off overseas again :)

The Isle of Sheppey :lol:

For that trip I'm driving a Vauxhall. Not really a Vauxhall - a Suzuki cunningly disguised as one :lol:

Just finished making a moussaka for dinner this evening - possibly my favourite dish of all. Looking forward to it in about 10 hours time.

I've also baked a loaf of bread this morning.

Soon off for a couple of hours of karate. In Friday's training I did my first proper bit of free sparring. Great fun! I've just ordered a set of proper sparring mitts..

This afternoon I plan on rebuilding Kev's (Red Dwarfers) Pug 605 diesel pump and get it ready for return to him on Wednesday.
0 x
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 10 Aug 2014, 19:32

It's been a good day. The moussaka was gorgeous and karate was excellent this morning :-D

I’ve since baked a batch of scones and spent a bit of time and effort on young Kev's diesel pump.

My hope I'd get it done today was not realised. The pump is so gummy and rusty from bad fuel - possibly wet veg - that each part is needing to be carefully cleaned and polished before reassembly.

I had to disassemble the transfer pressure regulator to free it off and that necessitated the fabrication of a very little special tool to extract the spring clip that holds it together. A polish of all the bits with fine Scotchbrite did the trick.

Then I found the timing device seized solid due to gum which necessitated some very careful work to avoid damage.

Then the lift pump vanes were not sliding easily due to corrosion so it was a case of needing to polish each of those and their slots and then ensuring they could then slide freely.

That's just the start. The job is going to take me weeks! Hope you're in no hurry Kev!!!

So far, just the lift pump, timing device and main drive shaft has been reassembled. 15% of the pump perhaps?
0 x
Jim

Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike » 10 Aug 2014, 19:43

CitroJim wrote:It's been a good day. The moussaka was gorgeous and karate was excellent this morning :-D

I'm glad you enjoyed it Jim. Many moons ago when I lived in Greece, a friend invited me round for food. His mum was English.

I thought she'd just made a really crappy shepherd's pie....
0 x

red_dwarfers
donor 2017
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers » 10 Aug 2014, 20:10

Cor, sorry to give you so much work there Jim, I must admit though, I would have struggled to go in much more detail with the cleaning at my current knowledge level. Many thanks and no rush what so ever. The 605 is comfortable in its very own garage that I bought for it!

I'll have to look into cleaning the fuel tank and pipes for certain now.
0 x
Kev

'98 S1 Xantia 1.9 TurboD Desire 2
'97 S2 XM 2.1 TurboD Manual VSX
'81 GSA 1.3 Club
'93 Peugeot 605 2.1 TurboD Manual SRDT

Citroen Car Club G Section committee member

KP
My Cars:

Post by KP » 10 Aug 2014, 20:20

Kev just get an electric pump and suck the pump dry and then put a few litres of petrol in it and do the same. When it's ready to go just fill the tank and stick a litre of petrol in as well and it should flush the system pretty well and dump the worst into the fuel filter and just swap it out when you want :)
0 x
1996 Activa with Leather(S2!) AC & Sunroof PALLAS'd
XM 2.5td VSX Estate green 220k running Veg&stuff

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 11 Aug 2014, 09:21

red_dwarfers wrote:Cor, sorry to give you so much work there Jim.

It's not a problem Kev :-D I'm happily enjoying myself with it...

Mike, yes, I suppose a moussaka does look a bit like a poor Shephered's pie!
0 x
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 13 Aug 2014, 16:33

Had a great day down on the Isle of Sheppey yesterday :-D

The trip down and back was good and we had no hold-ups which is not bad when you consider we were on the M1, the M25, the Dartford Crossing and the M2!

I drove Val's Vauxhall (Suzuki) Agila (Splash) and it's no C1. It handles like a wet sponge, rides like an old tea trolley and the seats are made of concrete with a thin cloth covering :twisted: Apart from that, it's fine :lol:

The C1 is better in every way...

Our rendezvous to see Val's rellies was a holiday caravan park on the Island. The part of the island the locals never go to and is full of a particular breed of Londoners enjoying a holiday.

As I was non-family I went for a long walk along the beach and prom and indulged in a pastime of mine; people watching.

Every other establishment around the beach front was an amusement arcade and everything else was either a fast food joint, a greasy spoon or a boozer :lol: :twisted: :roll:

The beach was lovely and was busy with people frolicking in the sea and sand.

I now see why the medical profession is concerned with obesity :shock: To a person they were all obese. I looked right out of place :lol: :lol:

A glance around a small supermarket nearby showed it only catered for those people. I'd starve there!

Back at the caravan site I saw a disturbing sight. A nearby caravan had toys scattered around the outside of it and the centre-piece and obviously well-loved toy was a McDonald's Kitchen with all the fixtures and fittings!!!!!

I despair :roll: :lol:

What a world :evil: It was an eye-opener how the other half live that's for sure...

Bizarrely the beach toilets were so clean and lovely you could have eaten dinner in there. They were attended and so Impressed was I, I commented on the amazing cleanliness to the attendant.

She went on to tell me how hard they work to keep the standard up and how in an hour they spend 10 minutes looking after the gents and 50 looking after the ladies. The ladies are absolutely terrible it seems and the attendant went on to tell some tales that are not suitable for this forum concerning the ladies loos... :roll:

Val told me the ladies at the Medway Services on the M2 were wrecked with doors hanging off their hinges and all sorts... I found the gents to be immaculate :roll:

I'm amazed. yesterday was an education :o
0 x
Jim

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo » 14 Aug 2014, 10:00

Having cleaned toilets for a crust, I would concur with your charwoman's assessment.
0 x

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 15 Aug 2014, 15:29

My V6 is really being troublesome at the moment..

I checked it over ready for the run to Somerset tomorrow and I noted the coolant was a tad low. Topped up and found out why :evil:

The header tank is split :roll:

Luckily, they're still readily available and not a stupid price either. £33 my Stealer has charged me...

Did the weekly checks on Eyelashes and bar the tyres being a tad down because it's cooler, nothing to report :-D

I expect to find the fuel filler flap to be seized through disuse next time I need to fill her up though :P

I remain very delighted with Eyelashes :-D I love that little car!
0 x
Jim

DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG » 15 Aug 2014, 16:03

CitroJim wrote:My V6 is really being troublesome at the moment..

I checked it over ready for the run to Somerset tomorrow and I noted the coolant was a tad low. Topped up and found out why :evil:

The header tank is split :roll:

Not again, I replaced that with a new one :roll:
0 x
14 BMW 535D Tourer
11 BMW F25 X3 3.0D Sport
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH