Citrojim's Activa, 207 and Bike Tales

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

Trainman
My Cars: 2007 2.7HDi C6 Exclusive, 2010 2.0HDi C5 Exclusive Tourer

Re: Citrojim's Xantia, C1 and XM Tales

Post by Trainman » 30 Jun 2014, 21:40

citronut wrote:and i bet them there limbs cost an arm and a leg :o :twisted: :roll: #-o :-D :wink: :rofl2: :rofl2:

i'll get me coat now shall i

YES :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

:wink:
0 x
Steve

2007 C6 2.7 V6 Exclusive in Mauritius Blue
2010 C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Tourer in Thorium Grey

Website Owner for www.C6Owners.org

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: A red Xantia Activa, a pretty blue Pug 207, a Giant TCR Bike and a Giant TCR Pro Bike.

Post by CitroJim » 01 Jul 2014, 04:26

citronut wrote:and i bet them there limbs cost an arm and a leg :o :twisted: :roll: #-o :-D :wink: :rofl2: :rofl2:

i'll get me coat now shall i

And I say yes too :lol: :lol:
0 x
Jim

Please note I do not accept PMs...

Citroenmad
My Cars:

Post by Citroenmad » 01 Jul 2014, 21:38

CitroJim wrote:Hi Chris :-D Great to see you on here again! I trust you are well?

Citroenmad wrote:I can see your reasoning, especially at the moment as with the new C1 out within the next few weeks, they have some hugely temping offers on the current C1. No doubt the ease of ownership, with it being a get in and go car, was a big decision maker.

That's precisely it! And the economy!

One car has to go but both Xantias are staying. If you’re interested in the XM we can discuss in due course :wink:

I am good thanks, full of busy.

I've often considered a new small car to trundle about in, usually when I'm having constant expenses on my cars, but so far I've resisted. Though I very nearly bought a VW Up! a few weeks ago :shock: Fortunately I got over that. :lol:

I'll see you at the National Rally then, Jim?
0 x
Chris
16 C4 Cactus BlueHDi Flair
05 C4 2.0 16v Exclusive
54 Audi A2 FSi SE
51 VW Passat V6 TDi Estate

Family Citroens:
64 C4 Cactus BlueHDi Feel Red
15 C3 Picasso 1.6HDi Exclusive
56 C5 2.0HDi 138 16v VTR Estate
95 C15 6-wheel
55 Traction 6H

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: A red Xantia Activa, a pretty blue Pug 207, a Giant TCR Bike and a Giant TCR Pro Bike.

Post by CitroJim » 02 Jul 2014, 04:23

Citroenmad wrote:I'll see you at the National Rally then, Jim?

You will :-D In the Activa most likely...
0 x
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 03 Jul 2014, 04:28

Well, it couldn't last :evil: I wondered how long the Activa would last before throwing toys again and yesterday I found out...

The ignition switch is a little dodgy and is causing the blower to cut out; noticed it doing it yesterday wit the aircon on and blower working hard. Just wiggle the key in the switch and it all resolves for a while.

I need to do the blower relay mod...

Did a little spannering on Chris570's HDi yesterday. he had a problem whereby he was loosing power steering going round corners due to a slipping auxiliary belt. It was flapping a bit and beginning to shred.

As he had a long trip to do yesterday and such things are never a good idea to do with a suspect auxiliary belt, he borrowed my V6 for the day.

Replacing belt and tensioners on an HDi is a lovely job; so much easier than a 1.9 or 2.1TD :-D It was all done very promptly.

Interestingly, all the wear was on the plastic pulley of the spring tensioner; the belt had worn it down and bedded down into it. The wear was uneven and this was beginning to throw the belt off-line.

The only warning Chris had before it got bad was an occasional squeal.
0 x
Jim

citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut » 03 Jul 2014, 07:47

CitroJim wrote:
The ignition switch is a little dodgy and is causing the blower to cut out; noticed it doing it yesterday wit the aircon on and blower working hard. Just wiggle the key in the switch and it all resolves for a while.

would it still require a new ignition switch as well Jim,

i tell my customers to switch all current hungry items off before switching ignition on and off,

this should save the contacts in the switch if there in good condition in the first place at least,

granny to suck eggs and all that :roll: :o :-D :wink:
0 x
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years

Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake » 03 Jul 2014, 07:59

When you do the ignition switch blower fan relay mod in a series 1 Xantia, you don't have to power the relay coil off the same worn out contacts that originally powered the fan - when I did mine I powered the relay coil off the the main ignition feed contacts.

The only difference is that the original contacts are live during ignition and disabled during start, while the main feed is live in both ignition and start - it doesn't matter though because the Aircon ECU will not turn the blower fan on until after the engine is running and the alternator is generating a charge.

So as long as you have an air con ECU (not manual fan control) you can power the relay coil from the other set of contacts and the fan still won't come on until after the engine has started and thus won't be drawing extra current during cranking. I don't remember the pin numbers but I still have pictures somewhere of my version of the mod.

Edit: found. Unfortunately the original forum thread with the description and pinouts got lost when the forum moved over from Andyspares...

The relay contacts go to the brown plug, (wires from the switch both cut) and the coil feed piggybacks on pin two on the grey plug.
0 x
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver

1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 03 Jul 2014, 08:45

Simon, thanks, that's a great help to see how you arranged and mounted the realy. Looks neat :-D

Malcolm, yes but the blower is off until authorised by the engine when it's established to be running anyway so in reality it's not on when the ignition switch is first turned on.

I do take your point about switching off everyting before though and it will help...
0 x
Jim

Chris570

Post by Chris570 » 03 Jul 2014, 15:02

CitroJim wrote:Well, it couldn't last :evil: I wondered how long the Activa would last before throwing toys again and yesterday I found out...

Did a little spannering on Chris570's HDi yesterday. he had a problem whereby he was loosing power steering going round corners due to a slipping auxiliary belt. It was flapping a bit and beginning to shred.

As he had a long trip to do yesterday and such things are never a good idea to do with a suspect auxiliary belt, he borrowed my V6 for the day.

Replacing belt and tensioners on an HDi is a lovely job; so much easier than a 1.9 or 2.1TD :-D It was all done very promptly.

Interestingly, all the wear was on the plastic pulley of the spring tensioner; the belt had worn it down and bedded down into it. The wear was uneven and this was beginning to throw the belt off-line.

The only warning Chris had before it got bad was an occasional squeal.

My Activa does this as well. fun isnt it.

Your V6 is a pleasure to drive, ice cold aircon, silky smooth changes from the slush box and when given the beans she does fly.

Such an odd failure of the tensioner really but once looking at it you can see the damage, for all you HDi drivers out there its worth running your finger across that pulley and make sure there isnt a lip on each side of the wheel. The bearing on mine was perfect still and had done at least 110k so a bearing failure isn't the only thing that can cause concern.

So with 247k on the clock she'll soldier on for a little while yet.
0 x
2006 C5 HDi 170
1998 Xantia Activa S1
1971 D Special
2006 C3 1.6 HDi SX,
CitroJim wrote: I'm a pink fairy

A 1/3 of Team WFA 'Clarkson'

Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake » 03 Jul 2014, 15:26

CitroJim wrote:Simon, thanks, that's a great help to see how you arranged and mounted the realy. Looks neat :-D

Just thought of a simple tweak to my approach Jim - instead of running the relay coil negative straight to ground, you could piggy back it onto the switched positive supply to the starter solenoid.

With the ignition on but not in the start position the the relay coil negative will be "earthed" through the starter solenoid coil - enough current to turn on the relay, but not nearly enough to pull in the starter solenoid. (Hopefully! I'm pretty sure on the V6 the relay coil that runs the cruise control gets its earth return through the starter solenoid coil without harm ?)

However when you turn it to start there will be 12 volts on both sides of the relay coil so the relay will drop out and exactly simulate the original switch contact behaviour (eg on only in ignition and not during start) without actually using the original burnt switch contacts... :)

This would work with a manual fan control system too, unlike the original version of my mod which relies on the Climate ECU not to run the fan during starter engagement.
0 x
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver

1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 03 Jul 2014, 16:29

Chris, thanks for the kind words about my V6 :-D It's always good to let someone else drive and have a second opinion on things and perhaps discover issues not previously noticed or just grown used to... An example is my very lazy cruise control :)

I'm not sure the gearbox being in 'old git' mode is a fault of the car or of me :lol: :lol: It is where it spends almost all of its time :wink:

Simon, excellent idea indeed, well thought out 8-) There is another relay that earths via the starter motor - the start inhibit relay - and the cruise control does too so it will drop out instantly if the starter is operated...
0 x
Jim

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: '07 307 SW 1.6 HDi 110
'08 C4 Grand Picasso 1.6 HDi 110

Post by RichardW » 03 Jul 2014, 20:55

Citroen like earthing relays through other things - I remember that the dim-dip relay on BXs (and probably others around the same time) used to earth via the main beams. No idea why - perhaps it was to prevent you having main on with dim dip, but then the switch should prevent that. Caused all sorts of mayhem if you tried to relay the dip beams, as they would tend to stay on all the time once the relay was switched once :-D
0 x
Richard W
Still not welding the de-cap...
1.6 HDi central (C4 Picasso / 307 SW)
Xantia HDi 110 now bean tins

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 04 Jul 2014, 04:33

That's nearly bizarre Richard!
0 x
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 04 Jul 2014, 18:24

Beware. Disturbing content follows: :twisted:

I had my hair trimmed today and then got a quick picture of me in my karate uniform...

This really is me :)

Grading tomorrow and I hope the next picture taken will be of me with a different colour belt [-o<
0 x
Jim

Trainman
My Cars: 2007 2.7HDi C6 Exclusive, 2010 2.0HDi C5 Exclusive Tourer

Post by Trainman » 04 Jul 2014, 19:33

CitroJim wrote:Beware. Disturbing content follows: :twisted:

I had my hair trimmed today and then got a quick picture of me in my karate uniform...

This really is me :)

Grading tomorrow and I hope the next picture taken will be of me with a different colour belt [-o<

I'm going to put this picture on the door at Halloween.......... if that doesn't frighten the kids nothing will..............just think a picture of some random old geezer in his jimjams..........

:shock: :shock: :shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x
Steve

2007 C6 2.7 V6 Exclusive in Mauritius Blue
2010 C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Tourer in Thorium Grey

Website Owner for www.C6Owners.org