Citrojim's Pixo, Saxo and Cycling Tales

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

Hell Razor5543
NOT Alistair or Simon
Posts: 8473
Joined: 01 Apr 2012, 09:47
x 504

Re: Citrojim's Xantia and XM Tales

Post by Hell Razor5543 » 15 Jun 2014, 18:22

Probably, when he encountered any sleeping policemen (in spite of the suspension)!

User avatar
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
Posts: 41319
Joined: 30 Apr 2005, 23:33
x 982

Re: Citrojim's Xantia and XM Tales

Post by CitroJim » 15 Jun 2014, 18:39

Mandrake wrote: My bet is if you drive it conservatively the V6 will beat the TCT easily, because you have so much low down torque that you don't need to rev it to keep up with the traffic flow... ;)
The TCT is not short of torque Simon... It pulls some very tall gears very impressively...

The TCT is a low compression engine with poor VE when the turbo is not spinning. It's much better with a will spun-up turbo and on a trip it can be surprisingly good. I've had 39mpg out of a TCT cruising at 70 on a motorway. That's good but around town they are atrocious...

Northern_Mike

Re: Citrojim's Xantia and XM Tales

Post by Northern_Mike » 15 Jun 2014, 19:23

CitroJim wrote:
Mandrake wrote: My bet is if you drive it conservatively the V6 will beat the TCT easily, because you have so much low down torque that you don't need to rev it to keep up with the traffic flow... ;)
The TCT is not short of torque Simon... It pulls some very tall gears very impressively...

The TCT is a low compression engine with poor VE when the turbo is not spinning. It's much better with a will spun-up turbo and on a trip it can be surprisingly good. I've had 39mpg out of a TCT cruising at 70 on a motorway. That's good but around town they are atrocious...
I managed 36mpg over 600 miles fully loaded in my Activa, before Mrs Northern_Mike crashed it. Much as you say, 65-70mph cruising on long motorway journeys.

27mpg was more usual though.

User avatar
KP
Posts: 3979
Joined: 10 Jul 2006, 12:11
x 2

Re: Citrojim's Xantia and XM Tales

Post by KP » 16 Jun 2014, 14:14

I wonder if the gears from another ML5 box would be able to replace the standard 5th and drop it down to nearer 2000revs instead of 3000revs at 70? this would help no end surely..

lexi
donor 2017
Posts: 2662
Joined: 17 Apr 2008, 17:51
x 92

Re: Citrojim's Xantia and XM Tales

Post by lexi » 16 Jun 2014, 21:50

There are plenty of those Bubble Cars( sorry Jim,C1'S) around with over 100k.
They get seriously used as you can actually go places without putting a handfull of tenners in the tank.
That is fun itself don't you think?

Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike » 16 Jun 2014, 22:56

And they're still infinitely better than the s**t our parents used to take us hundreds of miles on holiday in! Viva van, Simca 1000, Honda Civic Mk1, Lada. .

Enviado desde mi GT-I9505 usando Tapatalk

User avatar
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
Posts: 41319
Joined: 30 Apr 2005, 23:33
x 982

Re: Citrojim's Xantia and XM Tales

Post by CitroJim » 17 Jun 2014, 07:45

KP wrote:I wonder if the gears from another ML5 box would be able to replace the standard 5th and drop it down to nearer 2000revs instead of 3000revs at 70? this would help no end surely..
Potentially Will as the fifth gear pinions can be swapped without removing the box from the car. The only problem is the fifth synchro hub has at least three pingfuckits in it so the job is not easy...

Research may show the Activa box has the same fifth gear ratio as any other and the overall lower gearing compared with say, the HDi or V6 box is entirely down to the final drive ratio. Research is needed..

User avatar
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
Posts: 41319
Joined: 30 Apr 2005, 23:33
x 982

Re: Citrojim's Xantia and XM Tales

Post by CitroJim » 17 Jun 2014, 07:47

lexi wrote: They get seriously used as you can actually go places without putting a handfull of tenners in the tank.
That is fun itself don't you think?
That's good to hear that they're good for 100K :-D

They are serious fun. The engine is so revvy and willing. I'm loving mine to bits :-D

Mike, so true!

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Posts: 7099
Joined: 19 Aug 2008, 12:38
x 2

Post by addo » 17 Jun 2014, 08:00

You'll slide backwards into a 2CV at this rate. Small, revvy, Spartan... Can you see where this is leading? :mrgreen:

User avatar
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
Posts: 41319
Joined: 30 Apr 2005, 23:33
x 982

Re:

Post by CitroJim » 17 Jun 2014, 08:07

addo wrote:You'll slide backwards into a 2CV at this rate. Small, revvy, Spartan... Can you see where this is leading? :mrgreen:
I can Adam but I promise I won't :lol: :lol:

The C1 does have a bit of 2CV/R4 about it though... And none the worse for it either...

Had a call from my dealer last evening. The replacement pipe for my V6 is on back-order and at least a couple of weeks away. Pavlos, you were lucky!!!

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Posts: 7099
Joined: 19 Aug 2008, 12:38
x 2

Post by addo » 17 Jun 2014, 08:10

I "skinned" the return junctions and used regular oil/fuel hose with clips. Under the black plastic overmould are white barbed connections. Almost any broken harness can be reused this way.

User avatar
KP
Posts: 3979
Joined: 10 Jul 2006, 12:11
x 2

Re: Citrojim's Xantia and XM Tales

Post by KP » 17 Jun 2014, 09:18

I suggested a copper t piece made to the right size to replace the junction. That is the item fails the most so would remove the biggest failure point :)

User avatar
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
Posts: 41319
Joined: 30 Apr 2005, 23:33
x 982

Re: Citrojim's Xantia and XM Tales

Post by CitroJim » 17 Jun 2014, 15:26

Indeed Will, entirely reasonable and the reason I'm hanging on to the duff ones. They'll inevitably be NFP in the not too distant...

User avatar
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
Posts: 41319
Joined: 30 Apr 2005, 23:33
x 982

Re: Citrojim's Xantia and XM Tales

Post by CitroJim » 18 Jun 2014, 15:15

First fuel consumption check on the C1....

Do bear in mind I've been driving it like I stole it...

57mpg

8-) :-D :P

User avatar
Chris570
Posts: 1430
Joined: 12 Dec 2009, 15:10
x 1

Re: Citrojim's Xantia and XM Tales

Post by Chris570 » 18 Jun 2014, 15:19

yes but to be fair you only have 3 injectors working