Citrojim's Activa, 207 and Bike Tales

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: A red Xantia Activa, a pretty blue Pug 207, a Giant TCR Bike and a Giant TCR Pro Bike.

Re: Citrojim's Xantia and XM Tales

Post by CitroJim » 07 May 2014, 16:00

The Activa has gone in for her paint job, the wheel bearing is getting worse and the cooling fans are intermittent..

She's clearly being very XM-like :twisted: I suppose I'm to blame for that. I put a Club-XM.co.uk sticker in her windscreen...

Or is it because she has a TCT engine :-k

I should see her Saturday wearing her new paint :-D Then it's down to sorting out her little niggles. I'll do the wheel bearings as a pair. It's the LH one that's bad - noise goes on turning right - but if one is about to die then the other one will not be far behind it....

One day that car will be good again :lol:

Many thanks to Chris570 this morning for the lift back from the paintshop :-D I was a very happy passenger in a 2.5 XM 8-)

My XM is down with me again for exhaust examination and other minor TLC...
0x
Jim

Please note I do not accept PMs...

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: '07 307 SW 1.6 HDi 110
'08 C4 Grand Picasso 1.6 HDi 110

Post by RichardW » 07 May 2014, 16:46

CitroJim wrote:It's the LH one that's bad - noise goes on turning right - but if one is about to die then the other one will not be far behind it....

Tenner says it's not :lol: Only one I had go on a Xantia was the same and I was sure it was LH, but garage jacked it up and said no, it's RH. There was a thread on here recently where someone moaned about a noise they couldn't trace, and more than one person said do the other WB (one having already been done) - eventually was done, and silence reigned.

No particular reason the other one should be going too - there's not really a common mode failure on them. I'd just change the bad one and wait for the other one to get vocal. Don't fit anything except a SKF or SNR bearing though, unless you want to do it again..... :roll:
0x
Richard W
Still not welding the de-cap...
1.6 HDi central (C4 Picasso / 307 SW)
Xantia HDi 110 now bean tins

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: A red Xantia Activa, a pretty blue Pug 207, a Giant TCR Bike and a Giant TCR Pro Bike.

Post by CitroJim » 07 May 2014, 17:10

I guess we'll know soon enough Richard... Yep, not keen on doing the job too often so only decent ones will be fitted :-D
0x
Jim

Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake » 09 May 2014, 14:57

Interesting point Richard - most people assume that a bad wheel bearing will go quiet on the inside of the corner when turning due to less weight being on it, but I'm not so sure that's always the case...

Think about the stresses applied to a bearing when you corner - the horizontal force from the cornering is not just changing the weight on the two wheels, its trying to rotate the inner bearing race sideways relative to the outer bearing race - so if you have the hardening worn through on the outer race on one side, whether that gets noisier or quieter turning in a given direction depends on which side of the bearing race the damage is on, not which side of the car its on! :twisted:

Perhaps its more common for the bearing to wear on one particular side (relative to which side of the car its fitted) but that if the wear occurs on the less common side of the bearing the symptoms reverse (turning the other way makes it quieter) even though its still on the same side of the car.
0x
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver

1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Re:

Post by CitroJim » 10 May 2014, 17:54

superloopy wrote:C'mon Jim ... where's he pics of your super shiny Activa ...

All in good time Mike :lol:

I picked the car up at 8 rhis morning and she's looking very good :)

I've only just got home though as I've been at WFA's Barford Branch all day doing very non-car related work - digging a trench, laying cables and electrical work...

I'm out all day again tomorrow so Wednesday is the next day I'll have to put piccies up..

PavlosV6 and I are off to the NVCF tomorrow to enjoy some old wireless :)
0x
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 26 May 2014, 07:42

Family matters have conspired to keep me away from cars and the forums for a bit as well as Wetherby... No worries, This is the first time in a few days I've been on here and I'm busy catching up again..

Got a bit of spannering done on the XM. More as a break from what is presently going on. One task I steeled myself for was the rear centre hydractive sphere. I was terrified the heat shield bolts into the axle tube would be seized but after much Plus Gas and TLC both came out OK, as did the spare wheel carrier bolt. That was as far as I got before work and family stopped work.. Hopefully it can recommence in the next day or so.

I've done a very quick and bad bodge on the exhaust. I'm still cogitating on what to do as a permanent job...

I also cracked an annoyance. An odd rattle under the car. I found it was the height lever bars (rods) rattling around and banging against their springy retainers. A bit of 'adjustment' has brought blessed silence.

I have the first two weeks off in June and much time will be spent doing much outstanding work on all the cars. Both V6s need new camblets and good services, the Activa needs her fans sorting and a new wheel bearing and the XM needs a new oxygen sensor.

For the next two weekend we're doing some public demonstrations of karate and I've been rather busy training for that. It's going to look good with lots of fighting and tile smashing!

I've not been injured during karate recently but I got well injured yesterday at a birthday party held where we do our karate training; an incident involving a bouncy castle, rowdy play and a toy sword resulted in a big gash on my forehead!
0x
Jim

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo » 26 May 2014, 09:10

It's always the way; the innocuous events are the ones that cost you the most or result in an injury that costs work time.
0x

bxzx16v
My Cars: Past Frenchies , 4xBx16v,1xBxGti,1xBxTzd,2xZx Volcanes,1xZx reflex,1xPug 405mi16, 3x Xantia 1.9td's,1x Xantia activa, 2x Renault 25 V6 turbo, 1 Zx16v ,1 Pug 406 V6 coupe ,1x C8 , 1x Berlingo van , 1x Xanti 2.1td , 1x Renault Laguna 3

Post by bxzx16v » 26 May 2014, 10:05

Did you get your activa's paintwork sorted Jim?

Mark
0x
2009 Landrover Freelander 2 TD4se.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 26 May 2014, 10:38

bxzx16v wrote:Did you get your activa's paintwork sorted Jim?

Mark

Yes I did Mark, just before the Activa had another XM-like toy throwing session :twisted:
0x
Jim

daviemck2006
Donor 2016
My Cars: 2007 peugeot 407 2.7hdi
2006 berlingo 1.9d van to be sold
1998 xantia td
1993 peugeot 205 1.6 auto

Post by daviemck2006 » 26 May 2014, 11:29

I like a manual to remind me how awful a sensodrive is:evil:

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
0x
Peugeot 407 coupe 2.7hdi - bigpug
Berlingo 1.9d - beryl to be sold
Xantia 1.9td - gabby, amazingly good
Peugeot 205 1.6 auto - lilpug
In the family
Peugeot 107
Honda Civic type r
Skoda Fabia VRS 1.9 tdi
Audi A4 avant 1.9tdi

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 26 May 2014, 11:30

daviemck2006 wrote:I like a manual to remind me how awful a sensodrive is:evil:

Many a true word spoken in jest Davie!
0x
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 26 May 2014, 20:23

A good day of spanners today eventually. It's been a shocking day here with rain all day with hardly a let-up. PavlosV6 and I had agreed early this afternoon to look at the LHM leak on his Xantia. he came around at 1:30 but it was 4 before the rain eased enough for us to look. Until then we played vintage wireless and worked on one of my purchases from NVCF the other weekend :-D

If anyone knows why a Bush VHF64 takes off (bursts into oscillation) somewhere in the IF stages we'd love to know as both my example and Pavlos's does the same thing and it has us both a bit stumped at the moment.

Pavlos's Xantia didn't stump us though. The leak was in the vicinity of the rear hydractive electrovalve and fearing the worst we inspected the valve expecting to find much corrosion and a written-off valve but and found it pristine. All that has failed was the big O ring under the valve. A new one was fitted and all was good. The one we used was a green hydraulic pump ring normally supplied to fit under the piston covers.
0x
Jim

KP
My Cars:

Post by KP » 26 May 2014, 20:51

Maybe look at this place Jim :)

http://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/show ... hp?t=42255

Good work on the EV leak hunting, leaks are becoming more common as the cars age and rubber hardens or pipes rot and i dont think it will be long before we see a spate of the main front pipes leaking that run by the rads on Xantias.....
0x
1996 Activa with Leather(S2!) AC & Sunroof PALLAS'd
XM 2.5td VSX Estate green 220k running Veg&stuff

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 27 May 2014, 04:48

Thanks Will :-D Not seen that site before! Hopefully if I get a little time today I'll have another look and if not actually join that site and post up the poser we have.

Today also I need to finish rebuilding a diesel pump for our Welsh colleague on Anglesey. Chris570 and I are paying him a visit next week!
0x
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 01 Jun 2014, 05:31

Finally got the Activa clean after its visit to the paintshop. Initially I couldn't use the car as it stank of paint internally and it was seriously aggravating my solvent intolerance so I abandoned the car for a couple of weeks so it could disperse.

It still hadn't yesterday morning :evil:

The interior was full of dust and it took me hours to clean the interior back to my standards. also washed the outside and had a good look at the job done. It's not bad for what I paid, but is the wrong colour compared to the original faded panels!

Needs a good polish now...

Still, much better than peeling paintwork.

Today is our first public karate demonstration this year at a big fête in the grounds of a stately home... Been practising this for weeks now and pleased to see the weather will be on our side as we're performing on grass. I can't see our pure white gis (uniforms) staying pure white for long though. I reckon they'll be more green and mud by the end oft he afternoon...

Tips on removing grass stains from white cotton will be very much appreciated!

I'm on holiday for the next two weeks. Tomorrow Chris570 and I journey to the isle of Anglesey to see a well-known Citroenist :-D Really looking forward to that.

Then it's serious spannering on all cars to make them good for the coming season... The reason for taking the holiday :)
0x
Jim