Citrojim's Skoda, Saxo, 207 and Bike Tales

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

Sid_the_Squid
My Cars:

Post by Sid_the_Squid » 16 Jul 2009, 12:12

Are we talking about the 25th, I should be avilable then, also the 1st aug as well, gets a bit vague after that might be away on the 8th. Hope to see you Sunday, we can discuss more then. :)

Go on let Gareth tune up your turbo...

...humm that dosn't sound quite right :lol:
0x
Gone to the dark side.

Past Citroens
'99 Xantia HDi Exclusive
'99 Xantia 3.0 V6 Exclusive (Green Goblin)
'02 C5 Hdi 110 LX Estate
'98 Xantia 1.8 sx auto with LPG
'00 Xantia Hdi (110) forte
'97 Xantia 1.9D sx
'93 Xantia 1.9D lx (my first) R.I.P

XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan » 16 Jul 2009, 17:33

Sid_the_Squid wrote:
Go on let Gareth tune up your turbo...

Already have, no V6 autos gonna be hassling me any time soon :lol:

Come on now Jim, next time i take you out in your old Activa i'll do more than half throttle :wink:
0x
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
http://www.facebook.com/kidmans

red_dwarfers
donor 2017
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers » 16 Jul 2009, 18:31

XantiaMan583 wrote:Come on now Jim, next time i take you out in your old Activa i'll do more than half throttle :wink:

Are you sure about that? He might get a bit paranoid about the fuel economy dropping too much :lol:
0x
Kev

'98 S1 Xantia 1.9 TurboD Desire 2
'97 S2 XM 2.1 TurboD Manual VSX
'81 GSA 1.3 Club
'93 Peugeot 605 2.1 TurboD Manual SRDT

Citroen Car Club G Section committee member

Sid_the_Squid
My Cars:

Post by Sid_the_Squid » 16 Jul 2009, 21:13

Already have, no V6 autos gonna be hassling me any time soon

Thats racing talk, bring it on... 8)

Actually I've never dragged before, but always plan to go to Santa Pod for a RWYB but never made it.
0x
Gone to the dark side.

Past Citroens
'99 Xantia HDi Exclusive
'02 C5 Hdi 110 LX Estate
'97 Xantia 1.9D sx

XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan » 16 Jul 2009, 23:33

Sid_the_Squid wrote:
Already have, no V6 autos gonna be hassling me any time soon

Thats racing talk, bring it on... 8)

Actually I've never dragged before, but always plan to go to Santa Pod for a RWYB but never made it.

Been loads of times, went last year in the Activa, may go again this year but hoping to take the maestro.
0x
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7

KP
My Cars:

Post by KP » 17 Jul 2009, 11:41

Fit a towbar Gareth and take both :D cant beat that and it would be cheaper to drive the activa there and back with the meastro on the back than driving the meastro solo i would imagine unless you somehow forgot to accelerate and stuck behind the rare lorries tha actually do 60mph now...
0x
1996 Activa with Leather(S2!) AC & Sunroof PALLAS'd
XM 2.5td VSX Estate green 220k running Veg&stuff

XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan » 17 Jul 2009, 12:30

KP wrote:Fit a towbar Gareth and take both :D cant beat that and it would be cheaper to drive the activa there and back with the meastro on the back than driving the meastro solo i would imagine unless you somehow forgot to accelerate and stuck behind the rare lorries tha actually do 60mph now...

The Activa is barely better than the Maestro on fuel, even on a long run...
0x
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: An orange Skoda 120, a pretty blue Pug 207, Sally the white Saxo, a Giant TCR Bike and a Giant TCR Pro Bike.

Post by CitroJim » 24 Jul 2009, 21:04

XantiaMan583 wrote:The Activa is barely better than the Maestro on fuel, even on a long run...

That's all down to your right foot Gareth :lol: :lol: When it was mine, that car would do mid to high 30s on a run. Our driving styles are a little different though...

My repair to the heater drain on the Activa seems to have been a full success. lats time we had any weather worth of running the aircon I was pleased sto see a puddle under the car and not in it :D For the first time in 9 months roughly it now has a full complement of carperts in it.

Excellent show on Sunday. Thoroughly enjoyed it despite the les than perfect weather :twisted: It was great to see everybody and most special of all was the birthday cake :D Thanks Xac, that was really something!

I had a set of new front tyres fitted onto the 2.1TD and have finally found a decent tyre fitter in Milton keynes who seems to do a good job. I had the tracking reset. I've been using the 2.1TD a good bit this week, including a run to Somerset and back. It was good and of course a lot cheaper than using either the Activa or V6 on that run.

It's been a busy week and my health has continued to improve. Cutting out caffiene and stimulation late in the evening abnd sticking to a more-or-less set bed-time seems to have done the trick with my sleep. I've also stayed away from here to see if that had any bearing; hence why I've been very quiet this past week. To all those of you who have sent PMs and emails, I will reply soon. I'm just about back to my old self now :D

I may have been quiet on here but busy in the workshop. Between helping xac sort his Activa I've been very busy sorting my V6 and I'm pleased to say she's all up and running again :D :D In the end I did not need to lift the engine out and set about a cunning plan to check and set the end-float on the gearbox. It was risky but I got away with it.

The shim that sets the end-float is just inside the end cover and said cover is just about removable if the 'box is dropped on it's mount by about an inch. That meant removing the LHM reservoir so that I could loosen the ABS block to get at the gearbox mount.

I also worked out a method of determining end-float by dead reckoning by using an additional shim of known thickness and measuring the gap between the mating faces of the end-cover and the main casting. Doing a bit of maths gave me a rough value of end-float. Luckily, I had a shim that has set it to about 0.35mm which is just a bit wide of the 0.2 +/- 0.1mm it should be but better than the 1mm or so it was originally!

To do the job I had to drain the 'box of oil and was delighted to see it run out beautifully golden and pristine. I was not so delighted that I had to expensively refill it with new oil but at least I know all is OK in the 'box.

After that I removed the leaky pressure regulator and pump for attention. The pump was a lot easier o remove than it looked. No need to remove a headlight, just remove the ECU box and the pump pulley and then, by V6 standards, the rest is plain sailing. The pressure regulator likewise looks tricky but it's doable.

I took them to Pleiades and had a long natter with Martin whilst admiring his new premises. He really does have a great set-up there :D That was on Wednesday and I had them back this afternoon. That is indeed seven star service! Thanks Martin, you really are a star!

The car is now all reassembled and running again. Somehow I just managed to get all the work done between bursts of torrential rain and have only been able to give the car the briefest of test drives. Touch-wood, everything is now leak free and the gearbox seems a lot smoother.

I need to recheck the gearbox oil level and then take it for a proper run.

I'm off now to catch up on what I've missed on here this past week...
0x
Jim

Please note I do not accept PMs...

XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan » 24 Jul 2009, 21:17

CitroJim wrote:I took them to Pleiades and had a long natter with Martin whilst admiring his new premises. He really does have a great set-up there :D That was on Wednesday and I had them back this afternoon. That is indeed seven star service! Thanks Martin, you really are a star!

Have you got his phone number/address? I've got some work for him...

Happy to hear you didnt have the pull the engine/box out to sort the issues out. I am hoping that i will be able to cheat in a similar fashion with my turbo, still heavy work but with the gearbox out and LHM tank removed i reckon the turbo/manifold might come out sideways...
0x
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: An orange Skoda 120, a pretty blue Pug 207, Sally the white Saxo, a Giant TCR Bike and a Giant TCR Pro Bike.

Post by CitroJim » 24 Jul 2009, 23:08

XantiaMan583 wrote:Have you got his phone number/address? I've got some work for him...

Indeed..

Pleiades
Unit 12A Brookside Industrial Estate
Sawtry
PE28 5SB

Tel 01487 831239

Very easy to find, just off the A1M between St. Neots and Peterborough.
0x
Jim

DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG » 24 Jul 2009, 23:19

Jim,

What are you doing up at this time of night? :lol: :lol:
0x
14 BMW 535D Tourer
11 BMW F25 X3 3.0D Sport
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH

Sid_the_Squid
My Cars:

Post by Sid_the_Squid » 25 Jul 2009, 09:20

Good news indeed Jim, I was just wondering if the engine lifting was going ahead today, I'm glad to hear that you fixed it without the extra strain of having to remove the engine, and that your feeling better. :)
0x
Gone to the dark side.

Past Citroens
'99 Xantia HDi Exclusive
'02 C5 Hdi 110 LX Estate
'97 Xantia 1.9D sx

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 25 Jul 2009, 10:27

DickieG wrote:Jim,

What are you doing up at this time of night? :lol: :lol:

Trying an experimantal late (ish) night and a lie-in Richard, it didn't work - I was still wide awake at 5 this morning :twisted:

Sid, I'm sorry to diasppoint you on the engine out job. I'm rather relieved I did not have to as I'd hate to disturb everything I know is OK.

Touch-wood, I'm now leak free and soon to take the car for a spin and warm up the gearbox oil ready for the tedium of checking and setting the level :twisted: :twisted: Worst job in the world...
0x
Jim

MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate

Post by MikeT » 25 Jul 2009, 10:44

CitroJim wrote:It's been a busy week and my health has continued to improve. Cutting out caffiene and stimulation late in the evening abnd sticking to a more-or-less set bed-time seems to have done the trick with my sleep. I've also stayed away from here to see if that had any bearing; hence why I've been very quiet this past week. To all those of you who have sent PMs and emails, I will reply soon. I'm just about back to my old self now :D
That's good news Jim, it's good to know you're recovering well and learned how. The biggest problem I find is keeping the discipline as no matter how hard I try, I often over-run my cut-off time. With all the added responsibilities you've taken on with the forums etc, it must be 10x more difficult for you. Good luck!
0x
98 S2 Xantia Hatch 1.9TD 143K
CX 2400 GTi

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 25 Jul 2009, 17:11

I'm going to be firm with myself Mike :wink: Just a quick blog entry and then to my stack of PMs and a spam-filled mailbox.

On the subject of spam, I get an awful lot but none directed specifically at me. It all comes in from the forwarded email from the forums :twisted: The rubbish that comes in is frankly unbelievable and recently the spammers have got clever in disguising spam to look like PM alerts so thay can't be easily filtered out :twisted: Spammers are the lowest form of life as far as I'm concerned and should be dealt with in the same way as cockroaches :x

Speaking of spam reminds me of Vauxhalls for some reason and on that subject, I was today out giving the V6 a shakedown and came up behind a late Vectra travelling relatively slowly. Why only became apparant when I looked closely; we were traversing a stretch of road on my test circuit which I know is very bumpy. The Vectra was all over the place and looked like a cork in a rough sea. The V6 on the other had did not even register the bumps. Do Vecras really ride that badly? If so they must be purgatory on anything other than a billiard table.

I've checked the gearbox oil level and after a quite small top-up it is now good. Touch-wood, no leaks from anywhere so she now returns to daily use :D

Following the gearbox re-shimming and a re-initialisation, the gearbox is now a lot, lot better and quite satisfactory. As I said earlier, the float is still a little excessive and it could be refined. It seems the end-float is rather critical to smooth changes.

Next job is the rear arm bearings :( Not looking forward to that...
0x
Jim