Citrojim's Skoda, Saxo, 207 and Bike Tales

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: An orange Skoda 120, a pretty blue Pug 207, Sally the white Saxo, a Giant TCR Bike and a Giant TCR Pro Bike.

Re: Citrojim's Xantia and XM Tales

Post by CitroJim » 27 Dec 2013, 18:25

The XM failed to proceed today, or rather failed to start. She had been standing a few days over Christmas, last outing being last Saturday when she ran perfectly.

This morning, to go to work, she didn't ant to know and rewarded me with an odd immobiliser problem. No initial red light, then a red and a green after a fair delay after keying in the (correct) code. Lack of comms with the keypad...

It was resolved by disconnecting the battery leaving it off for a few minutes and reconnecting it. After that everything was perfect and it's been not a problem since.

I presently have another V6 XM owners ECU fitted on test. I have never known my own ECU do this so we may now be finding there might be an issue with the one on test.. More testing is needed.

I also miskeyed the radio code first time and was annoyed at how long it made me wait to re-enter the code :twisted:
0x
Jim

Please note I do not accept PMs...

KP
My Cars:

Post by KP » 27 Dec 2013, 18:39

I'm glad I need neither of these anymore :) though I wish I had the cover for the keypad!
0x
1996 Activa with Leather(S2!) AC & Sunroof PALLAS'd
XM 2.5td VSX Estate green 220k running Veg&stuff

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: An orange Skoda 120, a pretty blue Pug 207, Sally the white Saxo, a Giant TCR Bike and a Giant TCR Pro Bike.

Post by CitroJim » 27 Dec 2013, 18:46

Thing is though Will, if the keypad was disconnected and out of use the fault may not have been so easily diagnosed but then again, if the keypad was disconnected it might not have happened anyway...

Chicken and egg...
0x
Jim

KP
My Cars:

Post by KP » 27 Dec 2013, 19:12

Very true Jim, I just know mine works so far, touching lots of wood! So happy as is but for fault finding it needs to be factory to make it that bit easier to find faults :)
0x
1996 Activa with Leather(S2!) AC & Sunroof PALLAS'd
XM 2.5td VSX Estate green 220k running Veg&stuff

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 28 Dec 2013, 15:43

Went to see PavlosV6 this morning to look at a small problem on his V6. Within minutes of starting up the cooling fans were running at top speed and he was worried it was overheating or the thermostat had stuck shut..

Luckily it was none of that, just a dodgy connection on the Bitron sensor. A clean of the contacts and some in-depth testing and it is all now good. In our testing we found a 2.7K resistor makes a good test substitute sensor as the Bitron measures around 2.7K at 82 degrees...
0x
Jim

Hell Razor5543
NOT Alistair or Simon
My Cars: C5 Mk1 VTR estate, Icelandic Grey (I think she is called "Bluebird")

Post by Hell Razor5543 » 19 Jan 2014, 19:02

You've been a bit quiet Jim. Are you alright?
0x
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX

C5 VTR HDi estate, 76518762
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!

Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike » 19 Jan 2014, 19:15

I think Jim has found his mojo in a big way and has thankfully been getting his life back and been too busy for us saddos on here :-p

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
0x

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 19 Jan 2014, 20:41

Hi James, I'm happy to report that I'm very fine and Mike has summed it up fairly well in some respects although I disagree with one part of what Mike says...

Northern_Mike wrote:I think Jim has found his mojo in a big way and has thankfully been getting his life back and been too busy for us saddos on here :-p

But nobody on here is a saddo Mike...

Basically I have taken to heart what I learned on my 10 week course last year. Get fit then said so I have and then some. I swim 5 morning a week before work, I run, I cross-train at least 20 minutes per day, I practice karate twice a week and on top of all that work 4 long days per week. I leave the house most mornings at 06:15 and usually get back home getting on for five. By 8 I'm comatose so to be honest that doesn't leave much time for intensive forum involvement.

My swimming fitness is such that I'm doing 40 lengths of the pool in a session now with time being the limiting factor. It seems no time ago I could barely do a length...

The course also said to get rid of all stress and let nothing stress you. I've taken that to heart too. I never realised just how stressed I still was until very recently actually. Not now... If it stresses me it's out and gone, no questions. It's bloody amazing I still have Citroens really but they don't stress me at all. Never have. A lot of things that do or might have been binned recently though...

Nothing to report on the cars really. They keep going wonderfully well and have needed precious little doing to them recently although I do religiously check them at least once per week.

I ran down to Somerset to see Dad in the XM yesterday. Gosh I love that car so much. It is so good for that sort of work...

So, in short, all is good and very happy. I'm thoroughly enjoying life and feeling good..

I hope to soon find some time to play forums fully again but for now....
0x
Jim

Hell Razor5543
NOT Alistair or Simon
My Cars: C5 Mk1 VTR estate, Icelandic Grey (I think she is called "Bluebird")

Post by Hell Razor5543 » 19 Jan 2014, 21:20

Jim, I (and, I believe, the entire forum) are delighted that you are doing so well. It would seem that you are enjoying yourself (and good health, I sincerely hope), and stress no longer plays a part in your life.

The thing about your Citroens is that, even if they do have a problem, you know them so well that you will be able to either fix them yourself or get somebody like Chris to help out. This means that they are not stressful in any major way, and, in fact, are probably quite restful (as you know that you can fix them, and you enjoy working on them). Now, if you had a much more modern, electronic Citroen, and it threw a wobbly, that might be stressful.

Take care, and long may the recovery continue with such outstanding success.
0x
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX

C5 VTR HDi estate, 76518762
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!

demag
Donor 2016
My Cars: "H" Citroen Bx Tgs Automatic.
2004 Citroen C5 Exclusive Estate 2.2 hdi Automatic.

Post by demag » 19 Jan 2014, 22:40

What course was that then Jim? Sounds interesting. It might benefit others of us on here.
0x
Dave

'04 C5 auto estate 2.2 hdi.
Bx 1.6 TGS Auto 50k A rare beast by all accounts. A bit tired but getting better by the day.
'96 XM 2.5TD VSX.......Sadly sold. What an idiot! I should have held on to that.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 20 Jan 2014, 06:35

demag wrote:What course was that then Jim? Sounds interesting. It might benefit others of us on here.

Dave, I suffer, as you may be aware, from ME/CFS. The course in question was one run by the NHS along NICE guidelines to assist in mitigating (not curing) and managing the worst symptoms of ME/CFS. It's controversial as it has two prongs of attack - physical fitness (which seems counter-intuitive bust isn't) and the reduction of stress and anxiety to the lowest levels possible. Basically learn to sail through life without making ripples. Be laid-back with a very positive attitude. Learn to say NO.

It works for most and it certainly has for me... My ME/CFS is still very much with me but under control.
0x
Jim

davetherave
My Cars:

Post by davetherave » 20 Jan 2014, 09:48

Dear God, that made me tired just reading your schedule Jim!
0x
(95) XM Silver 2.1td Exclusive.
(87) Cx 2.5 DTR T1 undergoing major cosmetic surgery.
GPZ500s

demag
Donor 2016
My Cars: "H" Citroen Bx Tgs Automatic.
2004 Citroen C5 Exclusive Estate 2.2 hdi Automatic.

Post by demag » 20 Jan 2014, 20:39

Thanks Jim,
Nice to know it's working for you. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes almost a year ago and spent over three months off work. Perversly it was a relief to be diagnosed. I had felt so ill for such a long time and no one seemed to have a clue what was wrong. Weight control and exercise were impressed on me by many professionals. I have lost 2 stone in weight since March 2013 and I know I should do more but when I get the chance I do a one mile power walk. My weight levelled over Christmas/New Year at a smidgeon under 13 stone but I'm just getting back on the wagon and hope to lose another half stone this year. I have met a lot of people with diabetes who gobble down beer, cider, crisps and chocolate etc and then moan that they find it hard to cope. I'm no saint but I am definitely coping reasonably well, better than I ever thought I would actually. :-D

More power to your elbow Jim! =D>
0x
Dave

'04 C5 auto estate 2.2 hdi.
Bx 1.6 TGS Auto 50k A rare beast by all accounts. A bit tired but getting better by the day.
'96 XM 2.5TD VSX.......Sadly sold. What an idiot! I should have held on to that.

taffy
My Cars:

Post by taffy » 22 Jan 2014, 01:32

well done jim!
sounds like you are on top :)
keep it up and wish you all the best for your health and wellbeing :)
0x
96 blue 1.8i xantia lx
97 red 2.0i xantia sx
00 red 2.0 hdi estate xantia sx
97 black 1.9td xantia sx
00 grey 2.0 hdi 110 exclusive xantia
99 silver 2.1td exclusive xantia
99 red 2.0 hdi exclusive xantia..
00 black 2.0 hdi exclusive xantia
99 blue 2.0 hdi exclusive xantia

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 26 Jan 2014, 07:40

taffy wrote:keep it up and wish you all the best for your health and wellbeing :)

Thanks Taffy :-D

For anyone wondering, I'm still about, the XM is going well with a fresh MOT and all is good as it is with my faithful old Xantia V6. The Activa is still hibernating and won't appear again until spring. There’s some interesting projects going on in my workshop and health and happiness-wise things are very good indeed.

I'm presently taking a long break from the forums. I spend 9 very intense hours a day four days a week staring at PC screens and bashing keyboards at work and to be honest it is the last thing I wish to do now at home. I've not lost interest in the cars at all and in fact in my workshop I'm busier and keener than ever. I'm just not keen or interested in looking at a screen and tapping keys any more and when I'm home from the office I need to do something more outdoor or energetic rather than staring at yet another keyboard and screen.

I will always respond to PMs and emails and can be found intermittently on FaceBook. I'm also still doing my bit to administer this forum and I still religiously maintain backups; none of that has changed.

Anyone on here is always very welcome to visit, drink tea, eat cake and talk Citroen.

I will see you all at the rallies this year but I would appreciate if some kind soul might PM me to let me know when they are on.

This is not goodbye, just au revior for now... I'm sure I'll be back at some point in the future.... Maybe when work becomes less intense and demanding and I can find an interest in looking at a PC screen at home again...
0x
Jim