Citrojim's Activa, 207 and Bike Tales

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: A red Xantia Activa, a pretty blue Pug 207, a Giant TCR Bike and a Giant TCR Pro Bike.

Re: Citrojim's Xantia and XM Tales

Post by CitroJim » 02 Jun 2013, 16:07

Had a visit from a poorly V6 Xantia today. Owner complained of poor performance, misfiring and popping in the exhaust...

A test drive confirmed all was true... Owner came equipped with new plugs and a new manifold gasket...

The car had starting difficulties too..

The starting difficulties were traced to the 12v ignition switched supply to the coil of the start inhibit relay. It was found to be only 0.5v. A loom trace showed there was a splice in this wire in the loom that runs under the rad and this is the most likely cause of the issue. A 'workaround' has been performed for now...

On the engine issues, the owner removed the coil and inlet manifold and found one of the front bank plugs had taken up diving - the plug well was as full of oil as it could possibly be. All three rear bank plugs were keen swimmers due to a slight oil leak ovr a period of time on the exhaust cambox and we also noted the rear bank plugs were older and of a different type to the front bank ones. The conclusion was that some lazy previous owner had swapped the fronts but not the rears. Finally, the manifold gasket had been home-made from something like a cornflake packet.

We were concerned about some large cracks in the (pattern) ignition coil but in the event it seems OK. ELIT showed equal and good charge times and owner now reports the car runs much better following the work. If the problem reassert themselves then the coil is suspect.

Last job was to check the front spheres. The corners were a bit down but the centre was good. Owner made an error in refitting the centre, the seal slipped as he was screwing it home, and that resulted in a very large puddle of LHM on my driveway :roll: :twisted:

Finally, a persistent water leak was pinned down to a bodged joint in a hose that goes off to the gearbox cooler. The original must have gone at some time and someone then faked up something that is basically OK bar the joint in it. At some time in the future the owner will replace the joint...

A good day. I did nothing, just sat, watched, handed tools as needed, cleaned up, made tea and gave advice as an when :-D
0 x
Jim

Please note I do not accept PMs...

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: 2003 C5 2.0 HDi 110 SX 219,600

Post by myglaren » 02 Jun 2013, 16:25

CitroJim wrote:
A good day. I did nothing, just sat, watched, handed tools as needed, cleaned up, made tea and gave advice as an when :-D

Training for a senior management post Jim? :twisted:
0 x

Jackie Evancho

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: A red Xantia Activa, a pretty blue Pug 207, a Giant TCR Bike and a Giant TCR Pro Bike.

Post by CitroJim » 02 Jun 2013, 16:54

myglaren wrote:
CitroJim wrote:

Training for a senior management post Jim? :twisted:

No, and don't swear at me Steve :twisted: :lol: Anyway, No. I'm not qualified to be a senior manager.

I mean, when have you seen senior manager make tea, clean up, offer useful advice and generally be useful? That disbars me from such a role...

I rest my case m'lud :)
0 x
Jim

Hell Razor5543
NOT Alistair or Simon
My Cars: C5 Mk1 VTR estate, Icelandic Grey (I think she is called "Bluebird")

Post by Hell Razor5543 » 02 Jun 2013, 17:18

Nope, I would say he was training to become a GOOD foreman. :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX

C5 VTR HDi estate, 76518762
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 02 Jun 2013, 18:03

Hell Razor5543 wrote:Nope, I would say he was training to become a GOOD foreman. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm disqualified from that Role too James. I don't have a flat cap and a clipboard...
0 x
Jim

Ben82
My Cars: C5 V6 2004

Post by Ben82 » 02 Jun 2013, 18:06

CitroJim wrote:Had a visit from a poorly V6 Xantia today. Owner complained of poor performance, misfiring and popping in the exhaust...

Simon? :lol: I'm sure he's had all those symptoms :D :)
0 x
2004 Citroen C5 3L V6 Auto
Brit living in Sweden with an imported from Germany French Car!

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 02 Jun 2013, 18:16

Ben82 wrote:
CitroJim wrote:Had a visit from a poorly V6 Xantia today. Owner complained of poor performance, misfiring and popping in the exhaust...

No, not Simon unless he's taken up residence in Milton Keynes and changed his name to Liam...

If so, he's done a good job of loosing his Kiwi accent :lol:
0 x
Jim

Hell Razor5543
NOT Alistair or Simon
My Cars: C5 Mk1 VTR estate, Icelandic Grey (I think she is called "Bluebird")

Post by Hell Razor5543 » 02 Jun 2013, 20:11

No, Jim, you mis-read my comment. A GOOD foreman does things the way you said you did, praises a job well done, helps out when he sees somebody struggling, offers constructive criticism, and is a good part of the team. A BAD foremen, however, is a waste of space, gets in the way, criticises EVERYTHING even if it was done properly ("Call that done? My dear old Mother could do a better job in her sleep, and she's been dead these last five years"), and, in short, irritates everybody that has the misfortune to be bossed about by him.
0 x
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX

C5 VTR HDi estate, 76518762
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo » 02 Jun 2013, 22:22

A bad foreman gets narked by what's scratched on the back of the loo doors, about him.

A good foreman laughs and repaints them himself right away...

Owner complained of poor performance, misfiring and popping in the exhaust...

Simon? I'm sure he's had all those symptoms

That's a bit personal. [-X
0 x

Ben82

Re:

Post by Ben82 » 02 Jun 2013, 22:25

addo wrote:That's a bit personal. [-X

:lol: :lol: =D> =D>
0 x

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 03 Jun 2013, 05:19

LOL at that ^^^

James, point taken!
0 x
Jim

Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake » 04 Jun 2013, 15:09

CitroJim wrote:
Ben82 wrote:

No, not Simon unless he's taken up residence in Milton Keynes and changed his name to Liam...

If so, he's done a good job of loosing his Kiwi accent :lol:

I'm a little bit confused as to what a Kiwi accent sounds like now Jim, after 4 years surrounded by Scottish accents in day to day life and bombarded by English accents on the Telly... :lol: I've never had a typical strong Kiwi accent, so I'm told, and when I do occasionally hear a Kiwi accent on TV it sounds like, well, an accent instead of normal accent free speaking... :twisted:

And no, no popping in the exhaust, so it wasn't me... ;)
0 x
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver

1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive

Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake » 04 Jun 2013, 15:20

CitroJim wrote:
superloopy wrote: My V6 refuses to start most times, in fact i often switch to the TD midstream rather than face the embarassment of a clunking starter solenoid. Got to get rid soon ...

Mike, it's not a difficult mod at all.. Mandrake has done it and he's closer to you I guess...

It's really not a difficult job, I used a standard 30 amp automotive relay and a socket with a built in fuse holder. I took the power from one of the thick feed wires under the bottom right hand end of the fuse box, and just used wire, crimp spade connectors (including a tap on connector to steal the main supply feed for the relay) and insulating sleeves.

Apart from the main power feed wire mentioned above all the other wires you need are below the 2nd relay from the left (at least on mine) which is the starter inhibit relay for the gearbox, so I just cut the wires there and spliced in the relay, then wrapped a bit of tape around the relay and socket to make sure they never come apart and threw them into the empty space in the bottom of the left hand end of the fuse box! :twisted: Pity I didn't take any pictures of it while doing the job...

I'd say £15 worth of parts including wires/terminals etc and maybe half an hour to an hours work to do a nice neat job of it.

It's never ever failed to start first time since the modification...
0 x
Simon

1978 CX 2400

Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake » 04 Jun 2013, 15:45

Mine is a series 2 and I had no spare relay sockets either, hence why I bought a cord style relay socket with a built in fuse holder, and threw it into the empty space in the box below the other relays with short fly leads :)

I'm off next week so if I remember I'll see if I can lift the fuse box off and take some photos.
0 x
Simon

1978 CX 2400

Ben82

Post by Ben82 » 04 Jun 2013, 15:49

Mandrake wrote:I'm a little bit confused as to what a Kiwi accent sounds like now Jim, after 4 years surrounded by Scottish accents in day to day life and bombarded by English accents on the Telly... :lol: I've never had a typical strong Kiwi accent, so I'm told, and when I do occasionally hear a Kiwi accent on TV it sounds like, well, an accent instead of normal accent free speaking... :twisted:

This might help :P
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etzEu7cjkis
0 x