Citrojim's Skoda, Saxo, 207 and Bike Tales

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: An orange Skoda 120, a pretty blue Pug 207, Sally the white Saxo, a Giant TCR Bike and a Giant TCR Pro Bike.

Re: Citrojim's Xantia and XM Tales

Post by CitroJim » 07 May 2013, 19:40

Chris570 wrote:Do i hear imminent gearbox failure?????

For gawd's sake don't say things like that Chris :twisted: :twisted:

Hope not. I'll be a very unhappy bunny if so..

Had a lovely result on ebay today. It was the first time I had reason to not complain exactly but point out that goods received were not quite so. Up until then everything I'd bought had been absolutely as expected.

I bought a cruise ECU described as brand new. It was but at some point in its existence the aluminium box had taken a real big impact and it was dented badly in two places - so badly so I couldn't risk trying it as I was fearful the dent may have gone so far as to short against the printed circuit. The damage did not occur through poor packing on the part of the seller.

Long story short, I contacted the seller last Thursday and told him most politely and factually the situation as I saw it. He instantly offered me my money back or a negotiation for a discount. I wanted the ECU so being very cheeky asked for 50% off. This was instantly agreed but he advised he could not do an immediate refund and promised it today. I was a little bit dubious but I needn’t have been for come 10AM there was a 50% refund sitting in my paypal account :-D

That's fair restored my faith in human nature and in buying things on the 'bay.. No argument, no fuss, no bother. I gave him excellent feedback.

The irony of it all is that his username on ebay is Impact_Repair_Centre :lol:
0x
Jim

Please note I do not accept PMs...

Ben82
My Cars: C5 V6 2004

Post by Ben82 » 07 May 2013, 19:49

CitroJim wrote:The irony of it all is that his username on ebay is Impact_Repair_Centre :lol:

:lol: should have sent it back told him to do his job and return it to you once he had repaired the impact ;)

But I guess with a 50% discount and some DIY repair work you should be rather happy with it :)
0x
2004 Citroen C5 3L V6 Auto
Brit living in Sweden with an imported from Germany French Car!

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: An orange Skoda 120, a pretty blue Pug 207, Sally the white Saxo, a Giant TCR Bike and a Giant TCR Pro Bike.

Post by CitroJim » 07 May 2013, 19:52

Ben82 wrote:But I guess with a 50% discount and some DIY repair work you should be rather happy with it :)

I am, especially when I pulled it apart this evening to see how badly damaged it was. Basically, it isn't at all :-D
0x
Jim

Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike » 07 May 2013, 21:46

CitroJim wrote:
That's fair restored my faith in human nature and in buying things on the 'bay.. No argument, no fuss, no bother. I gave him excellent feedback.

I had a similar experience on eBay recently. I bought a drivers side door card for the Mazda, like new £30 delivered. Imagine my annoyance when I had already taken the old door card off and taken off all the fittings, only to unwrap the new one AFTER this, to find it was the passenger side he'd sent me.
Anyway, I wrote to him, told him what had happened, He was very apologetic. I then had a thought and asked him what price he'd take for the incorrect one, so at least I had a new pair on. £7... effectively the cost of postage. He sent the correct one the next day, before I'd even paid him for it. Now I have two nice shiny door cards.
0x

PavlosV6

Post by PavlosV6 » 07 May 2013, 22:23

CitroJim wrote:
I am, especially when I pulled it apart this evening to see how badly damaged it was. Basically, it isn't at all :-D

Result :wink:
0x
Paul
'97 Xantia MK1 V6 Exclusive in Mauritius Blue - 205K - "Old V6" - A new life begins.....
'06 Picasso Exclusive 110 in Mediterranean Blue - 106K
'14 308cc 2.0HDi 163 Roland Garros in Pearlescent White - 7K

daviemck2006
Donor 2016
My Cars: 2007 peugeot 407 2.7hdi
2006 berlingo 1.9d van to be sold
1998 xantia td
1993 peugeot 205 1.6 auto

Post by daviemck2006 » 07 May 2013, 23:24

Things seem to be going well in e-bay citroenland just now. One letter on my graphics tore when fixing it e-bay seller sending me another, no charge.
0x
Peugeot 407 coupe 2.7hdi - bigpug
Berlingo 1.9d - beryl to be sold
Xantia 1.9td - gabby, amazingly good
Peugeot 205 1.6 auto - lilpug
In the family
Peugeot 107
Mazda mx5
Skoda Fabia VRS 1.9 tdi
Audi A4 avant 1.9tdi

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 08 May 2013, 05:28

That's really good to hear that this is not an isolated result :-D Excellent on the door cards Mike and on the Graphics Davie - that really does show a bit of customer service :-D

Is it that a bad rap can be so damaging to ebay traders that they now generally err on the side of caution now?
0x
Jim

Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers » 08 May 2013, 10:35

I'm pretty sure sellers can't leave negative feedback, don't know if they can respond publicly to negative feedback they receive
0x
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool

Ben82
My Cars: C5 V6 2004

Post by Ben82 » 08 May 2013, 10:43

Xac wrote:I'm pretty sure sellers can't leave negative feedback, don't know if they can respond publicly to negative feedback they receive

Sellers can't give negative feedback.... we did come across a buyer that had left negative feedback for someone, that received a tonne of positive feedback from sellers, warning people not to sell to them. (seems a bit backwards, but it's the only way they can get a point across to other people).

Pretty sure they can still comment on the negative/neutral feedback though.
0x
2004 Citroen C5 3L V6 Auto
Brit living in Sweden with an imported from Germany French Car!

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 08 May 2013, 18:53

The V6 Xantia successfully passed her MOT despite my worry about the brake flexi. That was just an advisory and the only one..

So that's the car good for another year :-D last year I did a grand total of just under 5,000 miles in it. I know that from the new MOT certificate that now shows the past five years' mileages..
0x
Jim

bxzx16v
My Cars: Past Frenchies , 4xBx16v,1xBxGti,1xBxTzd,2xZx Volcanes,1xZx reflex,1xPug 405mi16, 3x Xantia 1.9td's,1x Xantia activa, 2x Renault 25 V6 turbo, 1 Zx16v ,1 Pug 406 V6 coupe ,1x C8 , 1x Berlingo van , 1x Xanti 2.1td , 1x Renault Laguna 3

Post by bxzx16v » 08 May 2013, 18:59

Well done Jim on the pass , there was no doubt in my mind .

Mark
0x
2009 Landrover Freelander 2 TD4se.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 09 May 2013, 05:08

I learned how the MOT test assesses flexis. If the perishing cracks are deep enough that you can make the inner core or reinforcing cords visible then it's a fail. Minor perishing with just tiny cracks - as mine - are an advisory. Hope that helps you assess it Mike...
0x
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 12 May 2013, 16:48

Had a lovely day out today. PavlosV6 and I went to the National Vintage Communications Fair up near Leamington Spa; a Mecca for all those who love old wirelesses. We journeyed up in my XM. Pavlos seemed to like it...

Spotted a very tidy GSA and a late Xantia estate in the car park. Mine was the only XM though... I believe the GSA may well belong to someone on here, Mike, uhn113x. Sadly I never caught up with the owner :( The Xantia owner was a CCC member.

Yesterday Xac came round and swapped the radiator in Cassy whilst I made tea and looked at why my ELIT diagnostic machine had a dim display. I had a clue it was a connector problem as hitting it made it come a bit brighter. A strip down showed the display connector was a bit mucky and corroded. A clean-up and all is now fine.
0x
Jim

spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider » 18 May 2013, 16:11

Looks like it was a fun day out. :) , any pics of interest from it to share ? (no problem if not) although the vintage TV's interest me a little. I looked inside one a few years ago and was shocked at more or less just rubber wiring, probably highly dangerous these days (bad enough really with a modern one at EHT potential). From what I recall without any research I don't think they would work properly due to the difference in number of lines, wonder if anyone has tried though.

Those 60's (70's?) 'space man helmet' b/w TV's seem quite collectable these days too.

The cat's whisker radio receiver always impress too, simply as its 'free' no power :D
0x
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 18 May 2013, 16:23

spider wrote:Those 60's (70's?) 'space man helmet' b/w TV's seem quite collectable these days too.

They are Andy and I saw a few at the fair. No pictures I'm sorry to say :oops:

I grew up fixing the old black and white TVs and the EHT never worried me much. Fixed my first one at 12 years old and then worked in a TV repair workshop weekends and school holidays..

My speciality was the early dual-standard colour TVs. They were a challenge. A bit like a V6 XM...

The old 405 line sets can still be used but you need to build a converter and a small VHF transmitter!

Been a bit of a difficult week and hence why I've not been about and will not be going to Wetherby. It was difficult enough that the Activa had to be put to one side as I was having trouble changing gear :twisted: Out came the V6 Xantia again and yesterday I noticed the ABS light was on.

A bit of testing showed it was the LH Front, the same on that failed about six months ago.. I replaced it with an ultra cheap ebay one and it's barely lasted six months... I noticed the pole pieces were very rusty. On a pukka one they are made of stainless steel whereas on this really cheap one they clearly were not.

Paul (PavlosV6) came round to see me this afternoon. I'll leave him to tell what he got up to on his V6...

I'll start catching up on what been happening on here shortly but it looks like I have a lot to get through... Been a busy week by the looks of it...
0x
Jim