Citrojim's Activa, 207 and Bike Tales

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: A red Xantia Activa, a pretty blue Pug 207, a Giant TCR Bike and a Giant TCR Pro Bike.

Re: Citrojim's Xantia and XM Tales

Post by CitroJim » 28 Apr 2013, 18:58

And it's still nice and hard now and that’s after a couple of trips out so gawd only knows what went on.

Not trusting the car for work tomorrow though. The Activa is going to be used for that. Every cloud and all that :-D
0 x
Jim

Please note I do not accept PMs...

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: 2003 C5 2.0 HDi 110 SX 219,600

Post by myglaren » 28 Apr 2013, 19:00

You are sounding much more chirpy Jim.

I do hope this is an indicator they you are feeling better.
0 x

Jackie Evancho

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: A red Xantia Activa, a pretty blue Pug 207, a Giant TCR Bike and a Giant TCR Pro Bike.

Post by CitroJim » 28 Apr 2013, 19:11

myglaren wrote:You are sounding much more chirpy Jim.

I am? And yes, feeling a lot better today than I have for all week and just in time to go back to work too :evil:

I must learn from the past few weeks and no disregard signs...
0 x
Jim

Citroenmad
My Cars:

Post by Citroenmad » 28 Apr 2013, 19:17

CitroJim wrote:I noticed this afternoon the XM had a distinctly soft tyre. 'Fiddelsticks

I had a tyre on my C5 which would go down at random. I found that it was the valve sticking in slightly after I had tested the tyre pressures. It could take a good few days for it to loose enough so that it was obviously soft. I would guess at that is the problem with yours as it has not lost since.
0 x
Chris
16 C4 Cactus BlueHDi Flair
05 C4 2.0 16v Exclusive
54 Audi A2 FSi SE
51 VW Passat V6 TDi Estate

Family Citroens:
64 C4 Cactus BlueHDi Feel Red
15 C3 Picasso 1.6HDi Exclusive
56 C5 2.0HDi 138 16v VTR Estate
95 C15 6-wheel
55 Traction 6H

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 28 Apr 2013, 19:29

Citroenmad wrote: I would guess at that is the problem with yours as it has not lost since.

I certainly hope so Chris [-o<
0 x
Jim

spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider » 29 Apr 2013, 08:02

Regarding the loss of pressure apart from the obvious you've checked ie damage and valve, a slightly porous rim could cause it intermittently when the area in question is at the bottom and has the 'weight' of the car sat on it.

It may be worth spraying a bit of slightly soapy water over the beading area both sides with it on the ground and if no signs of anything half a turn of each wheel then try again. ? :)
0 x
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 29 Apr 2013, 17:45

Andy, that's an excellent thought. So far she's still good and I'm sure the wheel has now stopped in a variety of places.

However, she can rest for a while as I loved driving my Activa today... I witnessed something quite remarkable today. It the roundabout near my house, on the road up from the M1 I saw one of my colleagues waiting at said roundabout giving way to me. he was in his Audi TT. Very soon left him well behind and it was well on the way to work before he caught up with me again. At work I asked him what kept him. I thought he'd stopped in town or something to visit a shop.

'Speed bumps' he said. 'No way could I even try to keep up with you in your Citroen over those!'

So there you go.

Most of the bits have arrived to try a repair to my cruise control...
0 x
Jim

Hell Razor5543
NOT Alistair or Simon
My Cars: C5 Mk1 VTR estate, Icelandic Grey (I think she is called "Bluebird")

Post by Hell Razor5543 » 29 Apr 2013, 17:56

Fingers crossed for the Cruise ECU! I hope that it has learned the error of its way in not working.
0 x
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX

C5 VTR HDi estate, 76518762
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!

PavlosV6

Post by PavlosV6 » 29 Apr 2013, 22:19

Hell Razor5543 wrote:Fingers crossed for the Cruise ECU! I hope that it has learned the error of its way in not working.

Rest assured it will :!:
0 x
Paul
'97 Xantia MK1 V6 Exclusive in Mauritius Blue - 205K - "Old V6" - A new life begins.....
'06 Picasso Exclusive 110 in Mediterranean Blue - 106K
'14 308cc 2.0HDi 163 Roland Garros in Pearlescent White - 7K

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 30 Apr 2013, 05:33

PavlosV6 wrote:
Hell Razor5543 wrote:Fingers crossed for the Cruise ECU! I hope that it has learned the error of its way in not working.

Rest assured it will :!:

We'll see. Hopefully on my day off tomorrow (oh the joy of being a part-timer :-D ) I'll be able to do the necessary and test.
0 x
Jim

KP
My Cars:

Post by KP » 30 Apr 2013, 13:38

Good luck with it Jim :)

And the activa goodness hey :) That turbo V6 conversion is calling im sure... ;)
0 x
1996 Activa with Leather(S2!) AC & Sunroof PALLAS'd
XM 2.5td VSX Estate green 220k running Veg&stuff

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 01 May 2013, 14:52

The cruise ECU is fixed :-D Three new transistors and a zener did the trick...

But, the XM felt really funny today and in a roundabout way I may have found out the reason for the tyre funnies too...

Basically I couldn't understand why the gearbox was reluctant to change into top and when cruise was engaged it was kicking down at the least excuse to maintain speed :? Performance seemed OK if you booted it :roll:

Got home from a run of about four miles and got out and smelt something incredibly hot :o That was the front wheels! Brakes were binding badly it seemed. Tested them after the car had been standing a bit and they were released perfectly. Started up and then they applied themselves - hard :shock:

Seasoned XM owners will know exactly what it was :) Ten minutes later after removing the scuttle and attacking the dosuer bell-crank with WD40, some spray grease and an adjustment all was fine. The bell-crank was stiff on its pivot and was holding the brakes on. It was out of adjustment too...

I'm wondering if the intense heat resulting from this (I noted the wheel with the affected tyre seemed much warmer than the other one) caused the tyre to play up. Whatever it was, the tyre remains good still...

The car is livelier now the brakes are no longer binding and it's such a joy to have cruise working. Just goes to show though that a big engine can mask brake binding...

Checking MOT expire dates today find I've let the MOT on the Xantia V6 expire :evil:

This weekend I must check her over and get her booked in on my next day off... Even though the car is resting for the summer I still want to maintain her in full working order just in case the XM and Activa play up!
0 x
Jim

spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider » 01 May 2013, 16:30

Good to know Cruise is fixed now. :) :D

Looking at the internals pic you posted a link to, I think apart from the custom chip (CPU or ULA maybe, did not really take notice too much of its number) the rest of the components looked reasonably standard and easily obtainable.

Not being familiar with Citroen braking systems really, but I think I know what you mean with your post above, the thought I had while reading was "collapsed flexi hose internally" as that does not always have external signs just a mystery. Good to know it was a simple clean / lubricate / adjust fix, they are the best ones no real cost apart from a bit of time and its nice to have things adjusted and clean too.

Not cooked the LHM from excess heat ? Then again I think (correct me if wrong) LHM is probably "stronger" in that regard that brake fluid. Assume calipers / pads are not suffering from their excess warmth too.

Good plan to keep the MOT up as you never know, sods law if you leave it a couple of months you'll have an urgent need to use it for some reason with no other immediate transport. Hope all goes well, I expected the 106 to fail on something silly but once I'd cleaned up the rear light clusters PCB's (A dremel clone to the rescue!) it was fine.
0 x
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 01 May 2013, 20:20

That's right Andy, except for the big chip, which is an 8-bit microprocessor with on-board ROM and RAM the rest of the components are very standard. The two other chips are a 4000 series CMOS logic and the other a 74C series so not a problem to fix at all..

It's toast if the processor is stuffed but apart from that.. In fact not really as the processor chip is a standard one but the problem is programming it!

The binding brake problem is well known on the XM. the Brake Dosuer is under the scuttle behind the bulkhead and the pedal movement is transmitted to it via a pivoting bellcrank.

No worries about boiling LHM as there is with conventional brake fluid at all. It's proper oil and is absolutely non-hygroscopic. Seized nipples are rarely a problem and in general the braking system is very reliable. I still don't understand what the attraction of conventional brake fluid is. there must be one but I can't see it///
0 x
Jim

PavlosV6

Post by PavlosV6 » 01 May 2013, 22:34

CitroJim wrote:The cruise ECU is fixed :-D Three new transistors and a zener did the trick...

Excellent, well done Jim.

See my earlier comment :wink:
0 x
Paul
'97 Xantia MK1 V6 Exclusive in Mauritius Blue - 205K - "Old V6" - A new life begins.....
'06 Picasso Exclusive 110 in Mediterranean Blue - 106K
'14 308cc 2.0HDi 163 Roland Garros in Pearlescent White - 7K