Citrojim's Skoda, Saxo, 207 and Bike Tales

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

Citroenmad
My Cars:

Re: Citrojim's Xantia and XM Tales

Post by Citroenmad » 22 Mar 2013, 21:49

There is a C5 V6 on autotrader, might be the red one I can't remember now, with what must be 10 RX-8s in the background for sale. I wonder how many of them work and how many are about to expire :lol:
0x
Chris
16 C4 Cactus BlueHDi Flair
05 C4 2.0 16v Exclusive
54 Audi A2 FSi SE
51 VW Passat V6 TDi Estate

Family Citroens:
64 C4 Cactus BlueHDi Feel Red
15 C3 Picasso 1.6HDi Exclusive
56 C5 2.0HDi 138 16v VTR Estate
95 C15 6-wheel
55 Traction 6H

Hell Razor5543
NOT Alistair or Simon
My Cars: C5 Mk1 VTR estate, Icelandic Grey (I think she is called "Bluebird")

Post by Hell Razor5543 » 22 Mar 2013, 21:50

I wonder what (other than oodles of wonga!) would be needed to make a Diesel Wankel engine? The trick would be handling the pressures required to make it work.
0x
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX

C5 VTR HDi estate, 76518762
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: 2003 C5 2.0 HDi 110 SX 220,400

Post by myglaren » 22 Mar 2013, 22:48

Very well looked after black one parked next to me a couple of days ago. Lady driver in my age group.
0x

Jackie Evancho

Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike » 22 Mar 2013, 22:50

Citroenmad wrote: how many are about to expire :lol:

All of them.

I hope that answers your question.
0x

Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike » 22 Mar 2013, 22:56

Hell Razor5543 wrote:I wonder what (other than oodles of wonga!) would be needed to make a Diesel Wankel engine? The trick would be handling the pressures required to make it work.

Sir needs to google "Rolls Royce R6 diesel Wankel"...
0x

Hell Razor5543
NOT Alistair or Simon
My Cars: C5 Mk1 VTR estate, Icelandic Grey (I think she is called "Bluebird")

Post by Hell Razor5543 » 22 Mar 2013, 23:12

Now THAT is an elegant solution to the pressure issue. It is a shame they could not complete the project;

http://www.thedieselgarage.com/forums/s ... hp?t=95286
Last edited by Hell Razor5543 on 30 Mar 2013, 16:24, edited 1 time in total.
0x
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX

C5 VTR HDi estate, 76518762
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!

Citroenmad
My Cars:

Post by Citroenmad » 22 Mar 2013, 23:14

Northern_Mike wrote:
Citroenmad wrote: how many are about to expire :lol:

All of them.

I hope that answers your question.

I does thanks :lol: The C5 V6 is by far the best car that garage has for sale :roll:
0x
Chris
16 C4 Cactus BlueHDi Flair
05 C4 2.0 16v Exclusive
54 Audi A2 FSi SE
51 VW Passat V6 TDi Estate

Family Citroens:
64 C4 Cactus BlueHDi Feel Red
15 C3 Picasso 1.6HDi Exclusive
56 C5 2.0HDi 138 16v VTR Estate
95 C15 6-wheel
55 Traction 6H

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: An orange Skoda 120, a pretty blue Pug 207, Sally the white Saxo, a Giant TCR Bike and a Giant TCR Pro Bike.

Post by CitroJim » 23 Mar 2013, 08:00

As I say, the RX-8 engine exists in a binary state. It's either expired or about to. There is no other state of existence for it..

Shame as the RX-8 is otherwise a gorgeous little car...

The owner has made his decision and he's going to invest in a replacement engine for it, a Renesis. This is allegedly (as I understand it) a later generation of the engine that has some improvements to allow it to live a longer life...

Actually, few die as emphatically as this particular one has. Most can be revived with just new seals which only costs a grand for a kit and takes about 2000 hours to rebuild the engine properly... Each seal has to be individually lapped in for best results...

There is good evidence that if the engine is looked after with great care they will last as long as any piston engine before needing a rebuild. It's neglect that kills them - nothing more... It's just that Wankels can tolerate no neglect whilst it's amazing just how much abuse and neglect a piston engine will take before it complains...

This weekend I'll be busy rebuilding the one in bits in my workshop so it can be traded in for a replacement...

Anyone wanting to know a bit more about the Wankel can find some good articles on Wikipedia. The ones discussing the advantages and disadvantages makes very interesting reading...
0x
Jim

Please note I do not accept PMs...

Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike » 23 Mar 2013, 08:05

CitroJim wrote:As I say, the RX-8 engine exists in a binary state. It's either expired or about to. There is no other state of existence for it..

Shame as the RX-8 is otherwise a gorgeous little car...

The owner has made his decision and he's going to invest in a replacement engine for it, a Renesis. This is allegedly (as I understand it) a later generation of the engine that has some improvements to allow it to live a longer life...

I don't believe this to be true. As I understand it, the Renesis is simply the 13B-MSP engine used in the all RX8s. It's more efficient and has lower emissions than the RX7 motor, but isn't really a great deal different -indeed, it has less power.

Weak coil packs kill them as do low oil levels.

I believe a new factory motor is in the region of £2500.
0x

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: An orange Skoda 120, a pretty blue Pug 207, Sally the white Saxo, a Giant TCR Bike and a Giant TCR Pro Bike.

Post by CitroJim » 23 Mar 2013, 08:23

Northern_Mike wrote:I don't believe this to be true. As I understand it, the Renesis is simply the 13B-MSP engine used in the all RX8s. It's more efficient and has lower emissions than the RX7 motor, but isn't really a great deal different -indeed, it has less power.

Quite right Mike. My bad. you are correct...

I was getting confused with the earlier 13B used in the RX-7. The Renesis is the 13B-RESI engine.. Easy to do as there's been so many of them...

So confusing... But I do believe I did learn somewhere that the very last RX-8 engines did incorporate some improvements over the original 13B-RESI
0x
Jim

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo » 23 Mar 2013, 09:34

Surely the Seppos have worked out how to slot in an LS1? That would fix a lot of issues right away.
0x

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Re:

Post by CitroJim » 23 Mar 2013, 10:14

addo wrote:Surely the Seppos have worked out how to slot in an LS1? That would fix a lot of issues right away.

Many on the 'net claim to have done Adam but how true that is remains subject to some conjecture...

You know what the 'net is like for people talking complete bollocks...

Whilst it's nice to think of stuffing a nice, meaty V8 in an RX-8 it is not easy when the engine bay and front was designed for an engine the size of a small electric motor...

Honestly, the 13B, when you consider its power output, is tiny.. It really is a dinky little thing... That makes any engine transplant very challenging...

We're still going yo see if an ES9 will fundamentally fit...
0x
Jim

Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike » 23 Mar 2013, 22:29

Someone I know has a kit-car type thing, RWD, powered by a ES9. It uses a Ford type 9

http://s56.photobucket.com/user/moshty/ ... 3.jpg.html
0x

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 24 Mar 2013, 07:00

Northern_Mike wrote:Someone I know has a kit-car type thing, RWD, powered by a ES9. It uses a Ford type 9

That's extremely interesting Mike. I see it uses the ML5 bellhousing for the Type9...

Is this a working car or just a twinkle in the creators eye?

Yesterday I reassembled the RX-8 engine ready for part-exchange and in doing so learned all the tricks and pitfalls of reassembly. Suffice to say it takes a while longer to reassemble than it does to pull apart and it's not quite as straightforward as it first appears.

I learned too how to reassemble the rotor apex seals...

RX-8 engines I now understand...
0x
Jim

Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike » 24 Mar 2013, 08:28

CitroJim wrote:
Northern_Mike wrote:Someone I know has a kit-car type thing, RWD, powered by a ES9. It uses a Ford type 9

That's extremely interesting Mike. I see it uses the ML5 bellhousing for the Type9...

Is this a working car or just a twinkle in the creators eye?

This is a fully working car, it's an old 80s Magenta kit. It was featured in PPC's sub - £1000 performance car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anHAdSOZnkA

Lovingly called "the tupperware turd". Slow it is not. I'm sure I can put you in touch with the creator of it..

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8290
0x