Citrojim's Activa, 207 and Bike Tales

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo » 15 Mar 2013, 11:17

Does the centre hump in the floor have an outline pressed for a 605 style handbrake?
0x

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: A red Xantia Activa, a pretty blue Pug 207, a Giant TCR Bike and a Giant TCR Pro Bike.

Re: Citrojim's Xantia and XM Tales

Post by CitroJim » 16 Mar 2013, 20:49

Good and busy day today...

First up, there is room for a footrest without upsetting the parking brake :-D

James (Hellrazor) came up to see me today as both he and I needed to adjust ride heights, he on his Xantia and me on the XM. We discovered it is possible with care to drive either car up a pair of Halfrauds ramps. Ride heights were successfully adjusted in both cases and both of us noted what a difference having correct ride height makes to the ride...

We then freed off the disc retaining screws on the rear of James's car so he can replace the badly worn discs. These screws had previously defeated him but a touch of heat did the job.

Chris570 and Liam (RX-8 owner) made an appearance clutching a massive impact gun to make an attack on the previously unmovable crank bolt on the RX-8 engine.

It did nothing. The bolt remained unmovable. We tried heating it with propane until smoke issued from the crankcase. Still no go. then I cracked out the oxy-acetylene gear and did as we had seen advised in some forum posts on this very problem - heat the bolt cherry-red.

This we did and it came off without a fight :) Then we attacked the flywheel and it saw sense and gave up easily enough.

Twenty minutes later the engine was entirely in bits.

Here it is:

The news is not good. The engine is basically scrap. One of the main bearings on the e-shaft (crankshaft analogue) failed catastrophically. You can see the scores on the journal quite plainly and this allowed the shaft and rotors to flail around. Apex seals broke and worst of all the front rotor crashed into the side plate and has ruined it. In fact all side plates are badly worn.

This is the worst one:

In fact the only serviceable items are the things we thought would be wrecked - the rotor housings. Although not perfect they might just do another tour of duty but there's no way anything else in the engine will..

We're not sure what caused the failure. Possibly it ran out of oil..

Parts to rebuild would be more than a new engine... Liam is now wondering what best to do. Tomorrow we're going tom emasure up an ES9 engine as a possible transplant candidate...

To round off the day I investigated why the cruise control on the XM is not working. Good news is the bellows and vacuum system is fine as I've had the vacuum pump working. All supplies are present and correct so why it's not playing remains open to speculation. The ECU may be dead or the speed signal may be missing...

Which may account for why the gearbox is apparently unhappy...

More to follow...
0x
Jim

Please note I do not accept PMs...

Citroenmad
My Cars:

Post by Citroenmad » 16 Mar 2013, 21:37

I've suddenly remembered why I have not taken advantage of the RX-8s bargain prices :shock:
0x
Chris
16 C4 Cactus BlueHDi Flair
05 C4 2.0 16v Exclusive
54 Audi A2 FSi SE
51 VW Passat V6 TDi Estate

Family Citroens:
64 C4 Cactus BlueHDi Feel Red
15 C3 Picasso 1.6HDi Exclusive
56 C5 2.0HDi 138 16v VTR Estate
95 C15 6-wheel
55 Traction 6H

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: A red Xantia Activa, a pretty blue Pug 207, a Giant TCR Bike and a Giant TCR Pro Bike.

Post by CitroJim » 16 Mar 2013, 21:46

Citroenmad wrote:I've suddenly remembered why I have not taken advantage of the RX-8s bargain prices :shock:

That's the thing Chris. They're not really bargains... Lovely cars but you have to remember that the engines exist in a binary world: They're either expired or about to expire - there is no other state of existence for an RX-8 engine :roll: :twisted: :lol:

Even a tired one would cost getting on for a grand to restore...

To be fair though, I doubt very much all go as emphatically as Liam's has and I expect most would escape with just a new set of apex and side seals...

Trouble is, even that is difficult and skilled work. Even just removing the engine is unbelievably hard.

It is a shame because the RX-8 is basically a gorgeous little thing...
0x
Jim

Citroenmad
My Cars:

Post by Citroenmad » 16 Mar 2013, 22:21

Has anyone had any success with fitting a proper engine?
0x
Chris
05 C4 2.0 16v Exclusive
54 Audi A2 FSi SE

Family Citroens:
95 C15 6-wheel
55 Traction 6H

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 16 Mar 2013, 22:31

Citroenmad wrote:Has anyone had any success with fitting a proper engine?

Yes, either a Mazda piston engine or the most popular seems to be the Nissan CA20DET out of the 200SX. I know that engine and it is quite a character...

Trouble is, as James said, the Wankel is a tiny engine about the size of a keg of beer so to fit a four or six in-line engine needs quite a lot of structural alteration at the front and a swap of steering racks is almost mandatory, The RX-8 uses a giant electric rack that fouls everything so the first choice is an RX-7 rack..

We think the ES9, being a very small V6, may just fit but mating it to a Mazda 'box and making what is very much a transverse engine work longitudinally will be an engineering challenge as so much is the 'wrong way round' such as the inlet manifold and the cooling arrangements...

If it can be got to work it will be a thing of beauty as the ES9 is a lovely engine...
0x
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 16 Mar 2013, 22:32

Another possibility might be the FTO engine. Another small V6 that sounds heavenly 8-)
0x
Jim

Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers » 16 Mar 2013, 22:34

I've got an XUD they can use
0x
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool

Citroenmad
My Cars:

Post by Citroenmad » 16 Mar 2013, 22:35

I thought you were joking about fitting an ES9! :lol:

Yes, the FTO might be a good fit, 2.0 V6 isnt it?
0x
Chris
05 C4 2.0 16v Exclusive
54 Audi A2 FSi SE

Family Citroens:
95 C15 6-wheel
55 Traction 6H

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: 2003 C5 2.0 HDi 110 SX 219,600

Post by myglaren » 16 Mar 2013, 22:36

Or just buy an FTO. They look better anyway.
0x

Jackie Evancho

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 16 Mar 2013, 22:39

Xac wrote:I've got an XUD they can use

Now that would be a unique RX-8, a diesel one. I'll suggest it to Liam tomorrow...

myglaren wrote:Or just buy an FTO. They look better anyway.

They do look good Steve I do agree but then so does the Mazda... The interior of the Mazda is a very cool place indeed.

I've always had a bit of a soft spot for the FTO I must admit...
0x
Jim

Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers » 16 Mar 2013, 22:43

CitroJim wrote:
Xac wrote:I've got an XUD they can use

Now that would be a unique RX-8, a diesel one. I'll suggest it to Liam tomorrow...

Well, I've always wanted to put one in a DAX Rush kit car and call it the Salman...

0x
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 17 Mar 2013, 08:41

Xac wrote:Well, I've always wanted to put one in a DAX Rush kit car and call it the Salman...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

The owner of the RX-8 is in fact building a Cobra kit-car with hydropheumatic suspension..

His choice of power for that one is the Rover V8 - an engine that definitely won't fit in an RX-8...

Over on Club-XM it's been suggested that the RX-8 be converted to electric propulsion. Thinking about the Tesla that idea has some considerable merit...

I'll see if I can find Liam a scrap milk float to provide the motive power... Or even a mobility scooter...
0x
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 17 Mar 2013, 08:45

Citroenmad wrote:I thought you were joking about fitting an ES9! :lol:

Yes, the FTO might be a good fit, 2.0 V6 isnt it?

No, not at all Chris... This is being seriously looked into. We'll know more later today :wink:

Yes, as far as I know the FTO is a 2.0 V6 and a lovely little thing too. Sounds like nectar 8-)
0x
Jim

Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike » 22 Mar 2013, 21:42

CitroJim wrote:
Citroenmad wrote:I've suddenly remembered why I have not taken advantage of the RX-8s bargain prices :shock:

That's the thing Chris. They're not really bargains... Lovely cars but you have to remember that the engines exist in a binary world: They're either expired or about to expire - there is no other state of existence for an RX-8 engine :roll: :twisted: :lol:

Even a tired one would cost getting on for a grand to restore...

To be fair though, I doubt very much all go as emphatically as Liam's has and I expect most would escape with just a new set of apex and side seals...

As I think I said before, I looked at these very closely before deciding against one a couple of years ago. You'd be surprised Jim, the engines often go spectacularly. The chaps at Rotechniks don't rebuild them in the dead ones they buy to fix and sell on - factory fresh, new Mazda motors go in all of them.

Lovely looking , sweet handling things. Utterly terrible engines though.
0x