Citrojim's Ka, Saxo and Bike Tales

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker

Post by addo » 09 Mar 2013, 20:37

"I'll take a pair of front springs for a Fiesta, please."

- Sounds like a fair swap.

:P

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Re:

Post by CitroJim » 09 Mar 2013, 20:47

addo wrote:"I'll take a pair of front springs for a Fiesta, please."

- Sounds like a fair swap.

:P

:lol: :lol: :lol:

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker

Post by addo » 09 Mar 2013, 23:24

I hope you pointed out that it's unknown for Xantias to break springs.

Even if they're aerosols, I reckon you need to look after neighbours. If I caught one stealing from me, I might not help them out, but otherwise it's a good study in the art of détente; the mutual good outcomes exceed the drawbacks.

Citroenmad

Re: Citrojim's Xantia and XM Tales

Post by Citroenmad » 10 Mar 2013, 00:06

That sounds like a very productive and not entirely cheap day Jim. Glad your XM is happy with its new boots, you can not beat a good set of tyres to transform a car :-D

bxzx16v

Post by bxzx16v » 10 Mar 2013, 15:36

Sounds like your getting the Xm up to Jim standards :wink: , you certainly can't beat a matching set of new tyres on a car .

Mark

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 10 Mar 2013, 17:03

bxzx16v wrote:Sounds like your getting the Xm up to Jim standards :wink:
It's getting there Mark, a way to go yet but it's coming along nicely...

Went to do some more on the RX-8 engine today and the drive was almost sublime... Every small thing is step in the right direction. I realise just how fussy I am about cars...

Here's a rare thing. Two ES9 V6 XMs together.... I apologise for the poor pictures, my phone camera is playing up badly...

Just in shot is an Activa and out of shot is another V6 - a Xantia V6...

And here’s something even rarer... A Wankel-engined XM :)

All clean, devoid of all ancillaries and ready for the journey to my workshop...

We had the sump off of it today and found rather a lot of sludge and flakes of copper. This leads us to the suspicion that the rotor housings are badly damaged... They’re the two bright alloy items making what looks like a double-layer sandwich in the the above picture. The surface the rotors and apex seals bear on is hard chrome plate on the light alloy -we suspect an apex seal has done a good job of gouging it and writing off the housings as a result...

This was a big problem on my last motorbike - a Suzuki GT550 triple. It had hard-chromed alloy cylinders and badly damaged and scored bores was a very common problem on them... Shame as it wrote off many and apart from that it was a joyous bike... A two-stroke triple so it was gloriously fast and turbine smooth... It also handled like any other 70s Jap as in not very well and the brakes were appalling in the wet. It had bright stainless steel discs with all the frictional properties of PTFE....

Hell Razor5543
NOT Alistair or Simon

Post by Hell Razor5543 » 11 Mar 2013, 20:29

Getting back to tyres, I have been told (by a Citroen parts guy who knows what he is talking about) that Kleber tyres are also made by Michelin.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 11 Mar 2013, 20:49

Hell Razor5543 wrote:Getting back to tyres, I have been told (by a Citroen parts guy who knows what he is talking about) that Kleber tyres are also made by Michelin.
They are indeed James :) We had this discussion on Club-XM a day or so ago. Kleber used to be OE fitments on some Renaults in the 70s and I remember them as they had a rather pretty tread pattern. A lot of tyres had pretty treads in those days and they more than likely looked better than they performed :lol:

Citroenmad

Post by Citroenmad » 11 Mar 2013, 20:50

Hell Razor5543 wrote:Getting back to tyres, I have been told (by a Citroen parts guy who knows what he is talking about) that Kleber tyres are also made by Michelin.
Yes, they are not wrong.

Premium tyre brands often make other tyres, Matador and Vredestein are under Continentals wing, for example. That is not to say the premium branded tyres are not better as they are not identical tyres. For a cheaper tyre I really rate Matadors, I've had good experiences with those.

Its brands like Linglong, Hero and Triangle I worry about :roll:

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 11 Mar 2013, 21:00

Citroenmad wrote: Its brands like Linglong, Hero and Triangle I worry about :roll:
Not to mention the pair of 'Fate' tyres that once graced the front of my V6 Xantia. :lol:

Most worrying is a budget one called 'Goodride' :evil: Just too easy to mix that one up with a premium make isn't it...

Hell Razor5543
NOT Alistair or Simon

Post by Hell Razor5543 » 11 Mar 2013, 21:04

I just compared BF Goodrich and Kleber, and there was only a couple of pounds difference between them. About £50 for 185/65R15 88T.
Last edited by Hell Razor5543 on 11 Mar 2013, 21:15, edited 1 time in total.

Citroenmad

Post by Citroenmad » 11 Mar 2013, 21:07

CitroJim wrote:
Citroenmad wrote: Its brands like Linglong, Hero and Triangle I worry about :roll:
Not to mention the pair of 'Fate' tyres that once graced the front of my V6 Xantia. :lol:

Most worrying is a budget one called 'Goodride' :evil: Just too easy to mix that one up with a premium make isn't it...
Oh yes, Fate, how appropriately named. Our white XM had those on the front when we got it, they disintegrated :shock:

Not all budget brands are poor, some are fairly decent, it just takes some research into the brands to see how good/bad they are. That said, many budget brands do come a lot lower in the tyre tests from premium brands. I always shop around for my tyres and I'm often suprised by how small the price gap between a budget and a medium or premium brand can be.

I've never used BF Goodrich but I have had Klebers on a car, which were very reasonable.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 14 Mar 2013, 21:41

Chris, give BFGs a go next time. I honestly don't think you'll be disappointed...

My XM has been in our local garage these past couple of days receiving attention to the exhaust. It cost £81 but now I have a lovely quiet exhaust - so quiet I can barely hear the engine... Worth every penny :D

That and the new tyres has made one heck of a difference to the car. It's truly lovely... So utterly, utterly refined. Like driving oiled silk and I'm sure with new spheres it'll be even better :D

It's a world away from a V6 Xantia and that surprises me...

There is one huge fault with the XM though and it really annoys me. It so badly needs a proper footrest for the left foot...

Citroenmad

Post by Citroenmad » 14 Mar 2013, 22:07

CitroJim wrote: There is one huge fault with the XM though and it really annoys me. It so badly needs a proper footrest for the left foot...
You could always fit one, but the parking brake would no longer work ... :lol:

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 15 Mar 2013, 04:13

Citroenmad wrote:
CitroJim wrote: There is one huge fault with the XM though and it really annoys me. It so badly needs a proper footrest for the left foot...
You could always fit one, but the parking brake would no longer work ... :lol:
That's a good point Chris :roll: Ahh well, a nice thought whilst it lasted...