Citrojim's Activa, 207 and Bike Tales

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

Northern_Mike

Re: Citrojim's Xantia and XM Tales

Post by Northern_Mike » 04 Mar 2013, 00:20

Jim, I recommend giving Total Tyres in Binfield a ring if you want some tyres, see what they can do. You can stop by for a brew and some tyres on your way down to Somerset next..

I say this because the price they quoted me for the Avon ZV3s which are £71 delivered / £84 fitted from the site Chris mentions are only £71 fitted at Total Tyres.. so , they might save you a few bob and give you a journey break. Especially if you go the right way down to the M3 next time...
0 x

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: A red Xantia Activa, a pretty blue Pug 207, a Giant TCR Bike and a Giant TCR Pro Bike.

Post by CitroJim » 04 Mar 2013, 07:28

Thanks Mike, that's appreciated :-D
0 x
Jim

Please note I do not accept PMs...

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: A red Xantia Activa, a pretty blue Pug 207, a Giant TCR Bike and a Giant TCR Pro Bike.

Post by CitroJim » 07 Mar 2013, 20:14

My new rad has arrived. A Nissins one from ebay and it's spot-on correct.

Hopefully I will be able, if weather and health are kind, to get it fitted at the weekend.

The XM is going into my local garage on Saturday for a bit of fabrication on the slightly blowy exhaust. I'd get a new one but they are quite simply unobtainable so it's a case of repairing what's there or spending a lot of dosh and having a custom stainless one made up. That'll likely happen in the future but for now the transverse box is sound enough for a repair by the looks of it... The front pipes to transverse joint is where the problem is...

I'm also cogitating over the purchase of four of these Falkens. I can't get used to the thought of the car having the wrong size tyres and it's really bugging me. I won't be happy until the right size is on there.

I understand Falkens are OK. Correct?
0 x
Jim

Hell Razor5543
NOT Alistair or Simon
My Cars: C5 Mk1 VTR estate, Icelandic Grey (I think she is called "Bluebird")

Post by Hell Razor5543 » 07 Mar 2013, 20:25

Jim, what about the spare wheel? Is IT the right size?

If you are unable to fit the rad this weekend, then (all going well) I will be more than willing to help you fit it next weekend.
0 x
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX

C5 VTR HDi estate, 76518762
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 07 Mar 2013, 20:40

Hell Razor5543 wrote:Jim, what about the spare wheel? Is IT the right size?

Not looked yet...

Thanks for the offer of help with the rad next week James :-D
0 x
Jim

daviemck2006
Donor 2016
My Cars: 2007 peugeot 407 2.7hdi
2006 berlingo 1.9d van to be sold
1998 xantia td
1993 peugeot 205 1.6 auto

Post by daviemck2006 » 08 Mar 2013, 00:33

My daughter put 4 of those on her astra td, she's done 20000 on them and just replaced the fronts, because tracking was out, worn on inside and still 4mm on outside. rears look hardly touched, and she does not hang about. he's put the same on again cos she's not lost traction or grip on them, and that includes cold frosty and snowy scottish winter roads. Going by her experience I would certainly recommend them.
0 x
Peugeot 407 coupe 2.7hdi - bigpug
Berlingo 1.9d - beryl to be sold
Xantia 1.9td - gabby, amazingly good
Peugeot 205 1.6 auto - lilpug
In the family
Peugeot 107
Honda Civic type r
Skoda Fabia VRS 1.9 tdi
Audi A4 avant 1.9tdi

Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers » 08 Mar 2013, 00:49

I use Falkens Jim and haven't spun off the road so far :)
0 x
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool

hattershaun
My Cars: C6
C5
Activa V6
SM
GSA

Post by hattershaun » 08 Mar 2013, 23:28

My C6 is riding on a set of FalkenZE912 and I have nothing but praise for them, albeit in a different size.
0 x
2010 C6 3.0 HDi Exclusive
2014 C5 HDi 200 Auto Tourer Exclusive
1972 SM 3.0
1999 Xantia 3.0i V6 Activa
1983 GSA Pallas C-Matic

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 09 Mar 2013, 07:36

Good to hear that Falkens are good :-D The only comment I saw potentially against them is under the new energy ratings they score very poorly for fuel consumption...

It's all academic now as I negotiated a great deal with my very local tyre place for a set of four BF Goodriches. I've used these tyres on no end of Xantias (My V6 Xantia currently rides on them at the front) and like them very much.

I was shocked to see the old tyres on the XM are T rated (116mph) for speed (should be V) :evil: Whoever fitted them to a V6 should be put against a wall and summarily shot :x

Today I plan to replace the leaky rad in the Xantia V6 with a shiny new Nissins and take the XM V6 to our local garage to have a look at the exhaust and then to our tyre place for some new tyres... Two jobs I don't do...

My workshop has been cleaned, tidied and organised ready for the arrival of an RX-8 engine....
0 x
Jim

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo » 09 Mar 2013, 07:50

Unsurprised about the old tyres. 88 rated walls, too?

You need to say what model of BFG, otherwise the brand doesn't really matter.
0 x

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Re:

Post by CitroJim » 09 Mar 2013, 08:00

addo wrote:Unsurprised about the old tyres. 88 rated walls, too?

Concrete I believe :twisted:

G-Grips I would imagine...
0 x
Jim

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo » 09 Mar 2013, 10:17

Does the XM seriously not spec a 94 load rating, but a 91?
0 x

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Re:

Post by CitroJim » 09 Mar 2013, 15:14

addo wrote:Does the XM seriously not spec a 94 load rating, but a 91?

Yes, must be 94. Be surprised if it wasn't...

Been a busy little bee this morning... Replaced the duff rad on the Xantia V6. A nice, easy job all things considered...

Dropped the front ride height on the XM - a very easy job...

Took the XM to my local garage for an exhaust looksee. Garage declares it quite fixable and it's going in on Tuesday to go under the knife (or welder)...

XM is currently at the tyre place having a set of tyres fitted...

Neighbour has just knocked on the door with a coil of Fiesta front spring in hand... He's just gone off to the factors to get one so guess what I'll be doing for the rest of the afternoon :roll: Problem is he's stranded...

Good thing is that new front springs for a Fiesta are only £18 each,,,
0 x
Jim

Hell Razor5543
NOT Alistair or Simon
My Cars: C5 Mk1 VTR estate, Icelandic Grey (I think she is called "Bluebird")

Post by Hell Razor5543 » 09 Mar 2013, 18:18

That would seem like a busy day. Isn't it time for a pot of Earl Grey?
0 x
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX

C5 VTR HDi estate, 76518762
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 09 Mar 2013, 20:27

Hell Razor5543 wrote:That would seem like a busy day. Isn't it time for a pot of Earl Grey?

It was a busy day James.. Ready now for an urn of the stuff!!!

Basically I rarely do anything for anyone else like this but there are exceptions and neighbours most certainly are...

What a bloody job though :twisted: but my neighbours are ever so good to me and helped me enormously when I was really ill back along so it was a kind of pay in kind. And besides he's giving my garden a makeover for free so it all works out... We all help each other in our little close... As neighbours should.. I feel very lucky to have such good ones and they in turn tolerate my car antics very well.. Many wouldn't I'm sure..

What a ****** of a job it turned out to be... Straightforward enough except for the top nut on the strut which was rusted solid because Ford stupidly don't protect it so water gathers there..

That bloody nut fought and fought but I won in the end :D To get enough force on it I had to carefully grip the very top of the damper piston above the bump-stop with a pair of very meaty Footprints (like Stilsons) and a breaker bar on the nut...

The rest of the job was dead easy...

But the moral of this tale is if you are asked to replace a Fiesta spring run as fast as you can and consider emigrating...

Rather a satisfying day by and large :D I feel quite content and rather tired in that good sort of way that comes from a productive day...The new tyres on the XM (BFG G-Grips) are excellent and they've transformed the car.. It rides better, handles better and is a lot quieter despite the blowing exhaust... The difference is like night and day...

Tyres maketh the car...
0 x
Jim