Citrojim's Activa, 207 and Bike Tales

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: A red Xantia Activa, a pretty blue Pug 207, a Giant TCR Bike and a Giant TCR Pro Bike.

Re: Citrojim's Xantia and XM Tales

Post by CitroJim » 21 Feb 2013, 19:34

One thing on the XM is fixed :-D Liberal amounts of WD-40 has freed off the tailgate lock and that's now working OK from the central locking..

I'm hoping this weekend will be good for applying some more TLC and start bringing the XM up to my standard...
0 x
Jim

Please note I do not accept PMs...

citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut » 22 Feb 2013, 20:07

CitroJim wrote:One thing on the XM is fixed :-D Liberal amounts of WD-40 has freed off the tailgate lock and that's now working OK from the central locking..

what you mean that W stuff actually fixed something Jim :o :roll: :wink:
0 x
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: A red Xantia Activa, a pretty blue Pug 207, a Giant TCR Bike and a Giant TCR Pro Bike.

Post by CitroJim » 23 Feb 2013, 07:12

citronut wrote:
CitroJim wrote:One thing on the XM is fixed :-D Liberal amounts of WD-40 has freed off the tailgate lock and that's now working OK from the central locking..

what you mean that W stuff actually fixed something Jim :o :roll: :wink:

I know! I was amazed and even more amazed it fixed something on an XM :lol:
0 x
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 23 Feb 2013, 15:32

A good day of spanners today...

But first a shot of the engine bay showing the bundle of fun under the bonnet 8-) Doesn't it look tiny!

And the interior. All very black and as cool as a cool thing:

I gave her an oil and filter change this morning. I don't believe the old oil was bad but I always like to do it for my own peace of mind. Whoever did it last had clearly had four Weetabix for breakfast as both the sump plug and oil filter were very tight indeed :evil:

Happily there's no leaks underneath from any component and I was happy to note that during her 300 mile run to Somerset and back not a spot of coolant was used. Unusual as it's my experience that the ES9 always seems to use a bit.

I also bled the rear brakes as I felt there was, compared to the Xantia, just a tad of brake delay. Just a little air came out and I was delighted to see the LHM is very fresh and very green :)

I tried again to get into the gearbox ECU with both the ELIT and Lexia but no joy. That is an odd one and I reckon there must be a wiring fault between the diagnostic plug and the ECU. Whatever is making the gear display flash is not at all problematic as the gearbox works perfectly...

The climate ECU looks a bit unhappy and I've asked in the sales and wants area for a spare if anyone has one. Lexia reports a load of unclearable faults relating to the blower and flaps so to rule out the ECU as the cause a swap of ECU is needed.

Again, it's not a showstopper as the heater works well enough to keep the car toasty warm on a day like today and it regulates temperature - it just can't make the blower run at anything other than half-speed...

I did intend to have the spheres off this afternoon and test them but the weather has intervened and I've decided that perhaps on a personal level I've done quite enough for one day. Maybe tomorrow.

I know the accumulator is good as I can hear the regulator ticking infrequently. Interestingly, the accumulator is a grey one. Also hydractive works a treat too but I do have my doubts on the total happiness of all the spheres and on the ride height which I'll make a separate post.

All in all, I remain very happy with the car and although not perfect is not at all bad. Just enough to do to keep me amused without struggling...

A gearbox oil change will be carried out soon as I've just entered into a deal to split a bulk buy of 20l of LT71141 with a fellow V6 owner :D The present oil looks and smells OK but knowing the box has been overhauled I'd like to change it for as bit of peace of mind really.
0 x
Jim

DHallworth
Donor 2016
My Cars:

Post by DHallworth » 23 Feb 2013, 18:02

Jim, your XM looks lovely!

It's the exact same colour scheme as my Series 2. I'm having problems with my fan again on the S2. Every winter since I've had the car I've had to replace the Darlington Transistors on that fan board. It only seems to go during the winter too.

This time though I'm not sure it's running at full speed, I think it might only be half speed too but I'm not sure. I'll try another fan I've got in it first and see what's going on.

Enjoy your car, it looks lovely!

David.
0 x
'88 CX GTi Turbo 2 :-D
'91 XM V6 24v Manual
'98 Xantia Activa V6 :-D
'00 XM V6 Exclusive
'10 C5 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'10 407 Coupé 3.0 HDi

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 23 Feb 2013, 18:37

Thanks David :-D It was inevitable I'd end up with another V6 XM eventually... All your fault :lol: :wink: After driving the one I had from you and the ride I had in your silver one I was smitten :) I must say I'm very pleased with it. They are a bit of a well kept secret.

Odd that the transistors should fail regularly. Are you using MJ11015 with identical batch numbers on them? I've found that it's necessary to have the two well matched transistors else they don't current-share properly and one runs a lot hotter than the other and thus prematurely fails... Having ones from the same batch has proved good enough in my experience. Of all the ones I've fixed over the years only one has subsequently failed and that was in the summer!
0 x
Jim

Citroening
My Cars: Various Makes/Models Nowadays...

Post by Citroening » 23 Feb 2013, 18:40

Excellent Jim. :-D

Glad that you are enjoying the XM and I am sure that with a bit of your spannering skills it'll be near perfect in no time at all...
0 x
Franklin

bxzx16v
My Cars: Past Frenchies , 4xBx16v,1xBxGti,1xBxTzd,2xZx Volcanes,1xZx reflex,1xPug 405mi16, 3x Xantia 1.9td's,1x Xantia activa, 2x Renault 25 V6 turbo, 1 Zx16v ,1 Pug 406 V6 coupe ,1x C8 , 1x Berlingo van , 1x Xanti 2.1td , 1x Renault Laguna 3

Post by bxzx16v » 23 Feb 2013, 21:51

I can't wait to see this beauty at a show soon Jim .

Mark
0 x
2009 Landrover Freelander 2 TD4se.

hattershaun
My Cars: C6
C5
Activa V6
SM
GSA

Post by hattershaun » 24 Feb 2013, 07:54

You noticed that the accumulator sphere is grey in colour.

The grey spheres are Citroen genuine ones.

When C5 was introduced in 2001 it had grey spheres and over time green balls have been phased out to be replaced by grey ones, I guess it's easier to have one tin of paint in the stores than two!
0 x
2010 C6 3.0 HDi Exclusive
2014 C5 HDi 200 Auto Tourer Exclusive
1972 SM 3.0
1999 Xantia 3.0i V6 Activa
1983 GSA Pallas C-Matic

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 02 Mar 2013, 07:30

Robyn's landed a full-time job with NHS Direct working the phones in the call-centre so she's now financially independent of me :) (maybe, perhaps) :roll:

As she'll be working shifts, I've just helped her buy a car, a 2007 Pug 207 1.4. It came cheap because it was her mums and she's just gone and lost the plot totally and bought some rag-top Audi thing... Just after she'd spent a small fortune on the little Pug on tyres, exhaust and brake discs amongst other things...

A 1.4 207 is perhaps not the first choice of desirable vehicle but for the silly price we negotiated and all the work done it was a sensible move. It's of known provenance...

It has an emissions fault on it and to my memory it's had that on and off for most of its life... Something to do with one of the O2 sensors... It doesn't seem to cause big issues and the MOT is not due until November so plenty of time to look at it.

All is well with my fleet. I've had no time to play with any of them but today I impend to fit new pads and discs to the Xantia V6. they are badly needed.

Tomorrow I may be able to play XM and start investigating the gearbox and climate ECUS.
0 x
Jim

Citroenmad
My Cars:

Post by Citroenmad » 02 Mar 2013, 21:17

That is a very nice looking interior in your V6 XM 8-)

Congratulations to Robyn on her job and new car. The 207 is one of the nicer smaller cars in my opinion and a nice upgrade from a 206.
0 x
Chris
16 C4 Cactus BlueHDi Flair
05 C4 2.0 16v Exclusive
54 Audi A2 FSi SE
51 VW Passat V6 TDi Estate

Family Citroens:
64 C4 Cactus BlueHDi Feel Red
15 C3 Picasso 1.6HDi Exclusive
56 C5 2.0HDi 138 16v VTR Estate
95 C15 6-wheel
55 Traction 6H

DHallworth
Donor 2016
My Cars:

Post by DHallworth » 02 Mar 2013, 21:56

Jim,

I'd never looked at 207's until we bought Cheryl a 1.6 HDi GT at the end of last summer when her Xantia was written off. They really are nice little cars.

Hers has 110bhp and drives brilliantly. It's a lot quicker then I expected it to be too. They're solidly built and drives lovely even with the silly low profile tyres on it!

Great news on the job front too, I'll bet she's looking forward to having her own independence too!

David.
0 x
'88 CX GTi Turbo 2 :-D
'91 XM V6 24v Manual
'98 Xantia Activa V6 :-D
'00 XM V6 Exclusive
'10 C5 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'10 407 Coupé 3.0 HDi

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 03 Mar 2013, 09:53

Thanks both :-D I've yet to drive her 207 but it's in that lovely Pug metallic Blue (Posiedon?) but reckon I soon will..

Found a problem on the XM thanks to you Chris :) It does have the wrong size tyres. 205/60 rather than 205/65 :evil: :evil: :x

I'm going to swap them for the right ones but keep the wrong ones as they are Xantia size... I'm bloody annoyed though...

Yesterday was wholly spent working with Team WFA removing the Mazda RX-8 engine :twisted:

Never ever let it be said that any Xantia, XM or indeed any Citroen suffers poor accessibility or that any job is difficult. You certainly won't after working on an RX-8.... They are the very definition of poor access and bizarre design everywhere and boy, did that engine, despite being a tiny thing, fight us every millimetre of the way.. It was epic but we won. Others would surely have failed on several potential showstoppers... The RX-8 makes the XM even look like a really well thought out engineering masterpiece of careful design and implementation. That must give an idea of how 'fun' the Mazda is to work on :lol:

Also got my new pads and discs fitted and just as an encore also fitted new discs and pads to Chris's SWMBO's C4...

Not a bad day’s work...
0 x
Jim

Citroenmad
My Cars:

Post by Citroenmad » 03 Mar 2013, 14:09

Sounds like you had a very full day yesterday Jim!

It would seem the RX-8 defeats a good few people, judging by how many full cars get broken up, they are also pretty worthless.

CitroJim wrote:Found a problem on the XM thanks to you Chris :) It does have the wrong size tyres. 205/60 rather than 205/65 :evil: :evil: :x

Ah, sorry to be the bearer of bad news :roll: If you are after a new set, I have found valye tyres to be unbeatable on price, even fitted. Unfortunately 205.65.15 is not the cheapest size.

These look very good value
0 x
Chris
16 C4 Cactus BlueHDi Flair
05 C4 2.0 16v Exclusive
54 Audi A2 FSi SE
51 VW Passat V6 TDi Estate

Family Citroens:
64 C4 Cactus BlueHDi Feel Red
15 C3 Picasso 1.6HDi Exclusive
56 C5 2.0HDi 138 16v VTR Estate
95 C15 6-wheel
55 Traction 6H

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 03 Mar 2013, 14:35

I did Chris but happily, apart from being a bit normal tired I survived it well. Not done anything much today but delighted all the same that I do seem to be getting better :-D I'm not pushing it though...

Just discovered my Xantia V6 needs some urgent TLC. She's just developed a big coolant leak from the rad. I knew the rad was getting marginal and it's gone past that... Just after Chris and I drove his and my XM back-to-back and then drove my Xantia V6 as a kind of control..

All three cars were driven erm, with some enthusiasm and I guess that’s what sent the rad off to oblivion..

Question is, do I have a Nissins for £154 or save a few quid and go for a nameless one at £135?

So, that means the XM will be in daily use next week...

Thanks for the tyres links Chris... Those Contis look good. I was horrified to see a 'Goodride' budget tyre on their site. Wonder how many have been mistakenly taken in thinking they're Goodyears? With a name like that they have to be bad...

Yep, I can see many very determined people admitting defeat with an RX-8. We even had to modify tools to do the job...

And the amount of profanity we got through was biblical... Stocks of PERCYWHATSIT are running low too...

Never again will we ever make any comment about how ball-achingly difficult a job can be on a Citroen because honestly, after an RX-8 there isn't!!!
0 x
Jim