Citrojim's Activa, 207 and Bike Tales

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

KP
My Cars:

Re: Citrojim's Xantia and XM Tales

Post by KP » 21 Dec 2012, 12:36

Enviromentally i mean the CO2 you put out is only what the wood has taken in over its life and any chemicals as well. So if you planted a new tree for every one you cut down then you would be carbon neutral in effect. The enviroment isnt just for humans you know ;)
0 x
1996 Activa with Leather(S2!) AC & Sunroof PALLAS'd
XM 2.5td VSX Estate green 220k running Veg&stuff

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo » 21 Dec 2012, 12:44

It's bushfire season here, coupled with the overzealous volunteer firies and their "hazard reduction burning" this means weekends are invariably subject to a degree of wood smoke in the air. Hurts your eyes and throat after a while; on bad days the asthmatics are strongly urged to stay indoors.

While you don't get this standing inside a room heated by a properly drawn wood fire or flued stove, if a whole region burned wood thusly it would make the effects known to you. Most of Australia doesn't get that cold really, anyhow - it's frequently a J Arthur to run a wood fire.
0 x

Rhothgar
My Cars:

Post by Rhothgar » 22 Dec 2012, 00:26

We've got a big old clunky Potterton Netaheat MkII F. Dates to 1983/84. It'll never break down but it less than 69%

I've considered upgrading to 96% boiler (not sure there is 98%) but I know it will break down every year.

It's a tough call but we would approx. £800 a year a gas if we switched.

It would pay for itself in 3 years. Bloody plumbers would charge £2000 to supply and fit.
0 x

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: A red Xantia Activa, a pretty blue Pug 207, a Giant TCR Bike and a Giant TCR Pro Bike.

Post by CitroJim » 22 Dec 2012, 09:34

Well, touch-wood my system, after the repair, is now seemingly OK thank goodness.

Wend down to see dad on Wednesday in the V6. On the way back I called in to see Rattiva_Mike and on the way to his place in the wet I splashed through a puddle and the ABS light came on. It cleared for a while but it's back on again now. Lexia says Front Nearside sensor...

Not been able to look at the ABS properly yet as the day of driving took it's toll and I took a good two days to recover :cry: :evil: I'm a bit better today but still far from right...

It's happening every time now after a day of driving so it looks like I'm going to have to seriously curtail how much driving I do unless I can manage having two full days completely written off as a result... And even then after the latest two long drives I seriously question if I'm actually safe toward the end of the drives and that really is the clincher. Two days of wipe-out is one thing but feeling dangerous on the road is quite another...

At this rate expect to see me only at the Little Horwood rallies next year :cry:
0 x
Jim

Please note I do not accept PMs...

Chris570

Post by Chris570 » 22 Dec 2012, 09:34

Rhothgar wrote:We've got a big old clunky Potterton Netaheat MkII F. Dates to 1983/84. It'll never break down but it less than 69%

I've considered upgrading to 96% boiler (not sure there is 98%) but I know it will break down every year.

It's a tough call but we would approx. £800 a year a gas if we switched.

It would pay for itself in 3 years. Bloody plumbers would charge £2000 to supply and fit.

We've got one of those, British rip-off (i mean gas) want £3300 for a straight swap, surprisingly the salesman looked shocked when i told him where to shove the quote! I've a feeling btw that they are more efficient that 69%
0 x
2006 C5 HDi 170
1998 Xantia Activa S1
1971 D Special
2006 C3 1.6 HDi SX,
CitroJim wrote: I'm a pink fairy

A 1/3 of Team WFA 'Clarkson'

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: A red Xantia Activa, a pretty blue Pug 207, a Giant TCR Bike and a Giant TCR Pro Bike.

Post by CitroJim » 22 Dec 2012, 09:36

Chris570 wrote: I've a feeling btw that they are more efficient that 69%

They might have been when they were new Chris but now and especially in our neck of the woods with water as hard as Scrooge's heart I'd reckon, due to the scale, you'd be under 50% now...
0 x
Jim

Chris570

Post by Chris570 » 22 Dec 2012, 09:38

CitroJim wrote:

They might have been when they were new Chris but now and especially in our neck of the woods with water as hard as Scrooge's heart I'd reckon, due to the scale, you'd be under 50% now...

Noooo, don't say that.
0 x
2006 C5 HDi 170
1998 Xantia Activa S1
1971 D Special
2006 C3 1.6 HDi SX,
CitroJim wrote: I'm a pink fairy

A 1/3 of Team WFA 'Clarkson'

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 22 Dec 2012, 10:16

All I can say Chris is that comparing my before and after gas bills there is a big improvement in efficiency...
0 x
Jim

DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG » 22 Dec 2012, 10:54

CitroJim wrote:

Bung some Fernox F3 in the system, clears out scale like nothing else.

My old boiler (gas not wife) keeps going whereas everyone I know of who's had a new Carlos Fandango boiler lowers their gas bill but pays out far more in getting the blasted thing repaired on a regular basis, they may be more efficient on gas but arguably cost far more to run overall.
0 x
14 BMW 535D Tourer
11 BMW F25 X3 3.0D Sport
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH

Rhothgar
My Cars:

Post by Rhothgar » 23 Dec 2012, 12:59

Jim is dead right. These boilers are graded F on some scale I cannot recall because I have not practised as an Architect for over 3.5 years now.

Having written that, my memory has refreshed. It will be a CIBSE guide or BRE guide (Building Research Establishment).

They would have les than 69% efficient when new.

Due to climate change boilers are designed to fail regularly. Of course, they would never advertise this. It is in-built redundancy.

One thing that peeved me off was we are made to jump through hoops in this tiny island but the likes of China are destroying the planet as they go through their Industrial Revolution.

This is why China is the rising hegemon and why the US are relinquishing their grip on world power and control.

China will rise and then hopefully fall in line with Western values in terms of climate change as world pressure mounts against them.

It is a slow but fine balancing act.
0 x

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 30 Dec 2012, 07:19

Blimey, this blog has been well and truly hijacked by talk of boilers and stoves :roll: :lol:

Must get it back on track....

I think I said the ABS on the V6 packed up on the way back from Somerset and an ELIT check determined it to be the front Nearside (as it always seems to be :roll: )

Ordered a new on from Neat Autos via the 'bay for £13 and it arrived less than 22 hours later. What service :-D

Fitted and now all good.

Interestingly, the old one was intermittent. A resistance check showed it to be 1067 ohms whereas the new one and a comparison one was 1006 ohms. The light first came on going through a puddle and I'm wondering if water gets into them through the end and rots them..

In other news, one of my cats has gone to the great scratching post in the sky following what we suspect was poisoning. It was mercifully quick for the old boy.

Christmas was OK but I'm glad it's over... We can look forward to some 360 Christmas-free days from now on...

Reason for my absence these past few days is the usual :roll:
0 x
Jim

Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike » 30 Dec 2012, 07:41

CitroJim wrote:Blimey, this blog has been well and truly hijacked by talk of boilers and stoves :roll: :lol:

Must get it back on track....

I think I said the ABS on the V6 packed up on the way back from Somerset and an ELIT check determined it to be the front Nearside (as it always seems to be :roll: )

Ordered a new on from Neat Autos via the 'bay for £13 and it arrived less than 22 hours later. What service :-D

Fitted and now all good.

Interestingly, the old one was intermittent. A resistance check showed it to be 1067 ohms whereas the new one and a comparison one was 1006 ohms. The light first came on going through a puddle and I'm wondering if water gets into them through the end and rots them..

In other news, one of my cats has gone to the great scratching post in the sky following what we suspect was poisoning. It was mercifully quick for the old boy.

Glad to hear the ABS is sorted Jim. Even in my limited experience, it's always been the NSF Sensor that fails. I just put it down to the higher number of roadside puddles and crud it is subject to. The centre of the roads are usually relatively clean.

Awfully sorry to hear about the cat :-( Been there..
0 x

Citroenmad
My Cars:

Post by Citroenmad » 30 Dec 2012, 10:34

Terrible news about your cat Jim, I bet your other one is seeming a bit lost now?

Yes, Christmas done for another year! :lol:
0 x
Chris
16 C4 Cactus BlueHDi Flair
05 C4 2.0 16v Exclusive
54 Audi A2 FSi SE
51 VW Passat V6 TDi Estate

Family Citroens:
64 C4 Cactus BlueHDi Feel Red
15 C3 Picasso 1.6HDi Exclusive
56 C5 2.0HDi 138 16v VTR Estate
95 C15 6-wheel
55 Traction 6H

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 30 Dec 2012, 11:04

Citroenmad wrote:Terrible news about your cat Jim, I bet your other one is seeming a bit lost now?

She's not even seemed to notice :roll: cats are strange creatures; odd as he was her kitten 9 years ago...

Yes, it was a shock and put a dampener on Christmas really. One moment a very fit, healthy cat and next...

Not sure what poisoned him but cats are very sensitive to toxins so it could have been anything.
0 x
Jim

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo » 30 Dec 2012, 11:34

Snakebite from an adder? Otherwise, eating a dead/dying rat or mouse that's been poisoned by baiting.
0 x