Citrojim's Activa, 207 and Bike Tales

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: A red Xantia Activa, a pretty blue Pug 207, a Giant TCR Bike and a Giant TCR Pro Bike.

Re: Citrojim's Xantia and XM Tales

Post by CitroJim » 01 Dec 2012, 20:48

Good day today :-D

My cars checked over. Nothing to report :)

PavlosV6 called round for a chat and a little health check on Old V6. All was well and I'm delighted to see Old V6 is still looking very good and going well too.

One problem was the cruise control was a bit 'iffy' We traced the problem to the repair I originally did on the bellows with a bicycle patch and subsequently done again. Today we found the second patch had failed and it appeared to have been rubbing on the wiring loom nearby. A new patch (the third now) and a slight bending adjustment has restored normal service...

Then an XM owner visited for a diagnostic on the (TCT) engine. Whilst the ELIT was out we checked all the other ECUs and found the Hydractive ECU wall-to-wall with faults including two permanent electrovalve faults. "Odd" says he "It's really soft and comfy"

A look in the ECU box soon showed the 'problem' Both electrovalve feeds had been chopped and diverted to an ignition-switched supply so the electrovalves were operated all the time the ignition was on. Goodness knows how long they'd been like that and it was remarkable they'd survived - being fed with permanent 12V normally burns them out...

I got the 'scope out and found the ECU was basically working so we reconnected the electrovalves and lo and behold everything worked a treat after clearing the permanent faults.

So why someone had gone to the trouble of bypassing the ECU and having the electrovalves permanently operated is something of a mystery at the moment. Maybe there was a problem but whatever it was it appears to have gone.

Whoever did this wonderful bodge tried to do it properly by arranging a fused supply to the electrovalves :roll:

I just hope doing a lot more than planned today does not come back to bite me in a day or so :evil:

I did enjoy my day though, as I did last Sunday...
0 x
Jim

Please note I do not accept PMs...

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: A red Xantia Activa, a pretty blue Pug 207, a Giant TCR Bike and a Giant TCR Pro Bike.

Post by CitroJim » 10 Dec 2012, 15:25

Sorry for the complete absence from the forum recently. I've suffered a significant relapse and I'm taking a while to recover...

I can read posts but making any sense of them and making any sort of sensible reply is entirely beyond my abilities at the moment.

I'll be back when I'm feeling a bit better.

I know I have some PMs and will respond in due course.
0 x
Jim

davetherave
My Cars:

Post by davetherave » 10 Dec 2012, 17:27

Take it easy Jim! No spannering for you for a while!
0 x
(95) XM Silver 2.1td Exclusive.
(87) Cx 2.5 DTR T1 undergoing major cosmetic surgery.
GPZ500s

citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut » 11 Dec 2012, 09:17

CitroJim wrote:Sorry for the complete absence from the forum recently. I've suffered a significant relapse and I'm taking a while to recover...

I can read posts but making any sense of them and making any sort of sensible reply is entirely beyond my abilities at the moment.

I'll be back when I'm feeling a bit better.

I know I have some PMs and will respond in due course.

sorry to hear that hun, must be an allergic reaction to going back to work
0 x
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 11 Dec 2012, 09:34

Thanks all :-D

citronut wrote:sorry to hear that hun, must be an allergic reaction to going back to work

Or an allergic reaction to Wales Malcolm :lol: :lol: :lol:

No, none of the above really although in hindsight I may have gone back to work a bit too soon. I have been struggling with it and it might have precipitated a gradual downward path. Wales just tipped me over...

Last Thursday I went to see Paul (citroenxm) and enjoyed a great evening with him over a bit to eat. I stayed the night in a Premier Inn in Llandudbo and then early next morning I made my way down to Aberystwyth along the A470 mountain road through Betws-y-coed, Blaenu Ffestiniog, Dolgellau and Machynlleth. It's a beautiful road but such a difficult drive when you're not good. I had a sort of frightening 'detached' feeling and had to concentrate really hard on the drive. I was exhausted when I reached Robyn's place in Aber and needed to rest up. We then drove home and I immediately then just crumpled up and flaked out. I'm just now starting to emerge from what is termed a 'crash'. To be honest I was lucky not to crash the car it was that bad :(

What really worried me was I must have not been driving very fast as I always seemed to have a frustrated car or van right on my tail. Scary...

About all I recall of the trip is there was snow on the top of Snowden...

Bit of a wake-up call (again :roll: ) I may not attempt a long journey for a while now and not unless I'm really feeling fit.
0 x
Jim

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo » 11 Dec 2012, 09:59

Yes, you need a rest and some medicine. Take two French maids and go to bed; no need to call us in the morning. :twisted:
0 x

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 11 Dec 2012, 12:11

That sounds like my kind of medicine Adam :-D
0 x
Jim

Citroenmad
My Cars:

Post by Citroenmad » 11 Dec 2012, 12:25

Sorry to hear that Jim :( I guess you have a bit of time off work to recover? Hopefully with a bit more rest you will be feeling right again. Do you think it was the long drive which took it out of you? It would be a shame if you had to stop visiting the place you seem to love so much.
0 x
Chris
16 C4 Cactus BlueHDi Flair
05 C4 2.0 16v Exclusive
54 Audi A2 FSi SE
51 VW Passat V6 TDi Estate

Family Citroens:
64 C4 Cactus BlueHDi Feel Red
15 C3 Picasso 1.6HDi Exclusive
56 C5 2.0HDi 138 16v VTR Estate
95 C15 6-wheel
55 Traction 6H

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 11 Dec 2012, 12:34

Yep, off work at the moment Chris and recovering nicely :-D being able to come back on the forums helps recovery and as soon as I'm up to the forums then I know I'm well on the mend.

Thing is, as I was trying to explain to Paul over on club-xm:

Unfortunately it's in the nature of the beast. Overdo it just a bit over a period of days - which I had - and whallop! We call it boom and bust and refer to what happens then as a crash. It happens. ME is characterised by a series of remissions and relapses. You know that I've had plenty of crashes in the past and they can happen very easily. Problem is, just before they happen you are invariably feeling good and full of beans. That gives you a bit of a false sense of security, push it a bit more than you should and then everything goes pop. As I say, it comes with the territory :evil:

Thing is, after my last visit I love the place even more and still determined to retire there :-D

Paul taught me a bit of Welsh pronunciation on Thursday, including how to properly pronounce Betws-Y-Coed :lol: :-D

I found a photo today and spotted my XM in a corner of it... Little did I know! Although I recall I showed great interest in it at the time and said I like it :lol:

0 x
Jim

Citroenmad
My Cars:

Post by Citroenmad » 11 Dec 2012, 12:45

CitroJim wrote:Paul taught me a bit of Welsh pronunciation on Thursday, including how to properly pronounce Betws-Y-Coed :lol: :-D

Ah yes, I remember me and Kev having a similar conversation with Paul when we were over there :lol:

Actually, the day that picture was taken of my/your XM was the day I drove down from Wales, after spending a week with it there and visiting Paul on Anglesey to get a few bits the day before. A very enjoyable week, I'll have to get back to wales and see some more of it :-D

Have you been to the Centre for Alternative Energy, just up the road from Machynlleth? I enjoyed that, though I am quite into Environmental Management ... :lol:
0 x
Chris
05 C4 2.0 16v Exclusive
54 Audi A2 FSi SE

Family Citroens:
95 C15 6-wheel
55 Traction 6H

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 11 Dec 2012, 12:57

Citroenmad wrote:Have you been to the Centre for Alternative Energy, just up the road from Machynlleth? I enjoyed that, though I am quite into Environmental Management ... :lol:

Driven past it many times Chris but never stopped :( There's a lot I want to see and visit around there, including but not limited to all the narrow-gauge railways.. I believe the A470 trip I made was pretty scenic but I can't remember now :( I'd like to do that again under better circumstances. Perhaps as a passenger next time...

Next year I fully intend to have a decent holiday there for a couple of weeks at least. One thing I want to do is take the Cambrian Line train up from Machynlleth to Porthmadoc and then on to Pwllheli which Robyn tells me is achingly scenic. Take it over a few days to visit the narrow gauge railways along the way...

I've been threatening to do this now for a couple of years and next year I am going to.
0 x
Jim

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo » 11 Dec 2012, 13:12

That photo is begging for a caption contest...

Kev suddenly realises his beard has gone missing.
0 x

Citroenmad
My Cars:

Post by Citroenmad » 11 Dec 2012, 13:17

CitroJim wrote:I've been threatening to do this now for a couple of years and next year I am going to.

That sounds like a very enjoyable few weeks away Jim 8-)
0 x
Chris
05 C4 2.0 16v Exclusive
54 Audi A2 FSi SE

Family Citroens:
95 C15 6-wheel
55 Traction 6H

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Re:

Post by CitroJim » 11 Dec 2012, 13:22

addo wrote:That photo is begging for a caption contest...

Kev suddenly realises his beard has gone missing.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 11 Dec 2012, 17:17

superloopy wrote:Who's who on that photo?

Kev's in the grey hoodie standing next to DaveTheRave...
0 x
Jim