Citrojim's Activa, 207 and Bike Tales

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: A red Xantia Activa, a pretty blue Pug 207, a Giant TCR Bike and a Giant TCR Pro Bike.

Re: Citrojim's Xantia and XM Tales

Post by CitroJim » 14 Nov 2012, 16:51

It was less that that for a GALLON when I passed my test Chris :twisted: In fact it was 78p...

It's been a lovely day down here today and my last full day of freedom before I begin work again tomorrow. It's been three months now and it’ll seem odd to be working again... Half-days for the next 12 weeks to see how it goes and then - who knows?

So, I've been making good use of it. Engine oil, gearbox ATF and coolant all changed on the XM :-D Oddly, the ATF change is the easiest of the lot. The oil filter is hemmed in a bit by the LPG vaporiser heater pipes and takes a bit of getting out. I treated myself to one of those oil filter removal tools today that look like a big pair of forceps. They're excellent and without them I'd have struggled a bit.

I also cocked up refilling it. I'm so used to knowing how much oil a TCT in the Activa takes I assumed the XM TCT took the same. It's dangerous to assume anything with an XM and found I'd well overfilled it :evil: I had to carefully loosen the sump plug and let some out :roll:

The coolant was trickier than it should have been - the rad drain cock is broken and can't be used. I had no option but to disconnect the hose that goes to the LPG vapouriser at a convenient tee-piece and drain that way.

The ATF was easy by comparison :lol: It was a bit mucky and I'm pleased the gearbox has now had two changes in short succession. It smelt OK and luckily I didn't overfill it..

I did have a bit of a worry though. I drained the ATF into a cat litter tray and noted there seemed to be lots of metallic flakes present. I then saw these metallic flakes are actually embedded in the plastic of the tray and not floating in the oil at all - phew!

I rounded off the day by spraying some Dynax UC around underneath the car - hopefully to keep winter at bay a bit. Already the poor XM has been showered with salt a few times this year. On the way back from Aberystwyth the gritters were out with gay abandon :evil: Gawd knows why - it was wet, mild and a long way off freezing and a frost was not even forecast. Crazy :roll:
0 x
Jim

Please note I do not accept PMs...

Citroenmad
My Cars:

Post by Citroenmad » 14 Nov 2012, 22:41

Another very productive day Jim :-D

Good luck with your return back to work :)
0 x
Chris
16 C4 Cactus BlueHDi Flair
05 C4 2.0 16v Exclusive
54 Audi A2 FSi SE
51 VW Passat V6 TDi Estate

Family Citroens:
64 C4 Cactus BlueHDi Feel Red
15 C3 Picasso 1.6HDi Exclusive
56 C5 2.0HDi 138 16v VTR Estate
95 C15 6-wheel
55 Traction 6H

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: 2003 C5 2.0 HDi 110 SX 219,600

Post by myglaren » 14 Nov 2012, 22:57

CitroJim wrote:It was less that that for a GALLON when I passed my test Chris :twisted: In fact it was 78p...

When I passed my test petrol was less than five bob a gallon :( (25p)
0 x

Jackie Evancho

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: A red Xantia Activa, a pretty blue Pug 207, a Giant TCR Bike and a Giant TCR Pro Bike.

Post by CitroJim » 15 Nov 2012, 07:34

myglaren wrote:When I passed my test petrol was less than five bob a gallon :( (25p)

Before 1973 then Steve... I was amazed to see just how much the cost of fuel went up following the 1973 oil crisis. Today I guess it would be akin to petrol suddenly costing a fiver a litre...

Funny it never came back down again once the cause of the 1973 crisis was (sort of) resolved :roll: Some people really do have a good war don't they?
0 x
Jim

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: 2003 C5 2.0 HDi 110 SX 219,600

Post by myglaren » 15 Nov 2012, 07:45

0 x

Jackie Evancho

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 15 Nov 2012, 07:51

myglaren wrote:1965.

I was driving pedal cars then...
0 x
Jim

ragger
My Cars:

Post by ragger » 15 Nov 2012, 20:34

Hope you have survived work, Jim.

I got my first car in 1972, and though that must have been post decimalisation I still seem to recall petrol as being about 6/8 (six and eight!) a gallon - less than 35p. It was a 57 Moggie that I bought for £50 and sold for £55 when I came north to university.

Rob
0 x
Regards

Rob

Xantia V6 Exclusive (the Beast!)
C4 Exclusive (a surprisingly good car)
C1 Feel (it might be new but it is very practical for local zipping about)

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 15 Nov 2012, 20:50

ragger wrote:Hope you have survived work, Jim.

Yes, just about Rob :-D I received a very warm welcome back, the intensity of which surprised me a little... What was amazing was nothing seems to have changed there except that I now I have a very quiet, steady and gentle job for the next 12 weeks :)

I was absolutely exhausted after my first half-day and came straight home to a nap. Hope that improves in the coming days and weeks :roll:
0 x
Jim

Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm » 15 Nov 2012, 21:02

Yes but it was in an all time low then for three years, in 1970 petrol was 80p/gal and in 75 is was back up to 73p/gal, i think the average wage in 1960 bought you just under 1100gals the average wage today will buy you 5000gals so like it or not historicaly fuel is actualy cheap at the moment.........................

Glad your getting on ok at work Jim, you take it steady though!!!
D
0 x
XM Prestige 92, surgery has begun, RIP faithfull 2.0i
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo » 16 Nov 2012, 11:05

I think most rigorous analysis of such matters, take into account that people spend more overall now than in times past (ie; savings are less) and we spend on more things. As the fat is spread thinner, fuel "feels" dearer.
0 x

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 19 Nov 2012, 07:40

A great day at the NEC Classic Car Show yesterday :-D It was great to see Chris's (Citroenmad) Activa on the CCC stand and to meet up with a few characters...

I travelled there courtesy of the Chris570 limousine service - otherwise known as his XM V6 and it was most pleasant relaxing (yes!) as a passenger in that fine car :-D

The show was good although a day is not really long enough to appreciate everything. I gravitated toward the tool stands as is my usual and came away with some goodies...

A new set of numberplates for the XM with Welsh dragons on them...

A set of everlasting drills - we'll see :roll:

And a small gas welding kit, something I've been toying with getting hold of for ages. It's rather good too and apart from small and delicate welding jobs it's great for brazing and warming up things that are otherwise reluctant to move :)
0 x
Jim

Deanxm

Re:

Post by Deanxm » 19 Nov 2012, 07:45

addo wrote:I think most rigorous analysis of such matters, take into account that people spend more overall now than in times past (ie; savings are less) and we spend on more things. As the fat is spread thinner, fuel "feels" dearer.

Yes i agree there, this consumer society has left us worse off.

D
0 x

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............

Deanxm

Post by Deanxm » 19 Nov 2012, 17:15

CitroJim wrote:A great day at the NEC Classic Car Show yesterday :-D It was great to see Chris's (Citroenmad) Activa on the CCC stand and to meet up with a few characters...

I travelled there courtesy of the Chris570 limousine service - otherwise known as his XM V6 and it was most pleasant relaxing (yes!) as a passenger in that fine car :-D

The show was good although a day is not really long enough to appreciate everything. I gravitated toward the tool stands as is my usual and came away with some goodies...

A new set of numberplates for the XM with Welsh dragons on them...

A set of everlasting drills - we'll see :roll:

And a small gas welding kit, something I've been toying with getting hold of for ages. It's rather good too and apart from small and delicate welding jobs it's great for brazing and warming up things that are otherwise reluctant to move :)

Sounds like you had a good trip out Jim, i saw the pictures of the XM in another thread, she is looking smart now with her new plates.
Are everlasting drills like the everlasting gobstopper? or is it more a sky hooks / skirting board ladder kind of deal?

D
0 x

red_dwarfers
donor 2017
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers » 19 Nov 2012, 20:01

I saw the chap with the everlasting drill bits at the Bath and West classic car show thing a few weeks back. Must admit I was impressed. If they're better than normal drill bits they've got to be worth something. Isn't it something to do with the design in that they grind rather than cut?
0 x
Kev

'98 S1 Xantia 1.9 TurboD Desire 2
'97 S2 XM 2.1 TurboD Manual VSX
'81 GSA 1.3 Club
'93 Peugeot 605 2.1 TurboD Manual SRDT

Citroen Car Club G Section committee member

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 19 Nov 2012, 20:14

I dunno Kev, not tried them yet, I'm worried I might break one :lol:

They look more like masonry drills to me as they have a (presumably very hard) tip welded into the shank. I fancy this is made of some exotically hard material and he said something about it being impossible to grind and if they do ever blunt he chucks in a special 'steel' with the deal to enable a new keen edge to be put on them.

Also in the deal was a drill attachment to allow you to drills holes around corners. That looks quite useful actually.

Once again I see the definition of everlasting is ten years as that's what the drills are actually guaranteed for. Same as a 4HP20 gearbox then :lol:
0 x
Jim