Citrojim's Skoda, Saxo, 207 and Bike Tales

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

KP
My Cars:

Re: Citrojim's Xantia and XM Tales

Post by KP » 26 Oct 2012, 12:38

Hows the exterior of the XM holding up Jim??
0x
1996 Activa with Leather(S2!) AC & Sunroof PALLAS'd
XM 2.5td VSX Estate green 220k running Veg&stuff

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: An orange Skoda 120, a pretty blue Pug 207, Sally the white Saxo, a Giant TCR Bike and a Giant TCR Pro Bike.

Post by CitroJim » 26 Oct 2012, 16:19

KP wrote:Hows the exterior of the XM holding up Jim??

She's pretty good Will. Chris did a spot of machine polishing on it and now the only slight detractions are a couple of small dents which need sorting... Apart from that she's as solid as a rock :-D

The MOT testers must have liked my XM so much I reckon they took it for a spin. It was a wet old day here and two of the rubber mats were covered in mud :twisted:

I noticed a tiny coolant leak from one of the tee-pieces where one of the LPG vapouriser heater pipes tees off. A little tighten of the offending Jubilee clip seems to have stopped it.

I also looked at the vapour-phase filter between the vapouriser and the LPG injector rail. It looks like a mini air filter and I was staggered at how mucky it was. I've given it a blast on the air-line whilst I await a replacement. They cost around about £6 and are available on ebay...

The engine is definitely running a lot happier on both gas and petrol now it has the benefit of an oxygen sensor :D
0x
Jim

Please note I do not accept PMs...

Citroenmad
My Cars:

Post by Citroenmad » 26 Oct 2012, 20:27

How did you sort out the rough running on LPG after the sensor refit Jim? Have I missed that bit? :lol:
0x
Chris
16 C4 Cactus BlueHDi Flair
05 C4 2.0 16v Exclusive
54 Audi A2 FSi SE
51 VW Passat V6 TDi Estate

Family Citroens:
64 C4 Cactus BlueHDi Feel Red
15 C3 Picasso 1.6HDi Exclusive
56 C5 2.0HDi 138 16v VTR Estate
95 C15 6-wheel
55 Traction 6H

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: An orange Skoda 120, a pretty blue Pug 207, Sally the white Saxo, a Giant TCR Bike and a Giant TCR Pro Bike.

Post by CitroJim » 26 Oct 2012, 21:17

It's only just a tad rough on idle Chris, everywhere else it's as sweet as a nut on gas. In fact now when under reasonable way you can't tell when it switches from petrol to gas :-D The roughness is most notable when coming to a standstill in D and say, waiting at a junction for a few moments. Under cruise conditions everything is really perfect.

I had a plug out this afternoon and the colour of it was perfect. The mixture looks spot-on.

Idle on petrol is the best idle I've ever known on a TCT. In fact it is a very sweet engine indeed.

I've been researching hard and learned a lot about LPG systems in general and the Tartarini SGI as fitted in particular, hence the vapour-phase filter. Cleaning it has helped a little and my next line of investigation is the plugs.

LPG needs a bloody good spark to fire it as LPG is cold and tends to like to try to blow the spark out. Currently it has NGK BKR5EK plugs which are twin electrode affairs and according to the forums they are not the best for firing small LPG charges at idle and the preference is for the needle-pointed plutonium tipped variety.

I'll be getting a new filter and seeking recommendations about the best plugs. I'm wondering to if there's a reason for having slightly hotter '5' plugs fitted rather than the recommended '6' plugs.

The gas ECU is, I understand, more or less auto-adaptive and it does seem to be learning now it can see an oxygen sensor. I'm debating whether or not to shell out the £40 or so on the diagnostic software for it and gently try tweaking it.

I'd still love to know why it was de-catted and de-sensored...

I know one thing, I'm really enjoying getting to grips with LPG systems. I am, as they say, a fan of them :-D
0x
Jim

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: 2003 C5 2.0 HDi 110 SX 220,400

Post by myglaren » 27 Oct 2012, 08:59

Plutonium spark plugs Jim?
Does your XM glow in the dark :twisted:
0x

Jackie Evancho

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 27 Oct 2012, 09:11

myglaren wrote:Does your XM glow in the dark :twisted:

Only with the lights on Steve :lol:

I got the wrong element. I meant iridium :roll:

Just ordered a set, along with an LPG filter so it'll be interesting to see if they make a difference...
0x
Jim

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo » 27 Oct 2012, 09:47

CitroJim wrote:I'd still love to know why it was de-catted and de-sensored...
I'd say part of that global phenomenon we know here as f***nuckles. No shortage of these special people plying their trade as mechanics.
0x

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 27 Oct 2012, 12:09

No, I'd say there was perhaps a world surplus of those Adam, with the UK as a prime producer :twisted:

And I suppose de-cat pipes are cheaper than new cats... Especially the one fitted. It was not a good example...
0x
Jim

andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit » 27 Oct 2012, 12:24

Plutonium? :mrgreen:

Is that to power the 1.21 Gigawatts of electricity needed to make time travel possible?
0x
Nothing moves you like a Citroën

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 27 Oct 2012, 12:26

andmcit wrote:Plutonium? :mrgreen:

Is that to power the 1.21 Gigawatts of electricity needed to make time travel possible?

Ahh, my plan is rumbled :roll: I wanted to go back to 1994 and be able to buy my XM brand new :wink:
0x
Jim

andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit » 27 Oct 2012, 12:32

There's a cunning plan; I'd love to go back to 1985 to mothball
a brand new CX GTi Turbo 1 actually!! :lol:
0x
Nothing moves you like a Citroën

Citroenmad
My Cars:

Post by Citroenmad » 27 Oct 2012, 22:15

That all sounds very good Jim, it certainly sounds better now 8-)

I had the plugs out and noticed them to be in very good condition so I left them be. However I didn't research into what plugs would be best for an LPG system, that might be interesting to change them.

CitroJim wrote:I'd still love to know why it was de-catted and de-sensored...

Knowing the owner, I guess the original needed to be replaced and for cheapness it was de-catted.
0x
Chris
16 C4 Cactus BlueHDi Flair
05 C4 2.0 16v Exclusive
54 Audi A2 FSi SE
51 VW Passat V6 TDi Estate

Family Citroens:
64 C4 Cactus BlueHDi Feel Red
15 C3 Picasso 1.6HDi Exclusive
56 C5 2.0HDi 138 16v VTR Estate
95 C15 6-wheel
55 Traction 6H

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 30 Oct 2012, 20:09

Replaced the vapour-phase filter in the LPG system today. That's the filter between the vapouriser and the injector rail.

This is the old one :o Look at the muck on it....

And you'd have thought LPG would have been as clean and as pure as the driven snow but no, it's filthy stuff :twisted:

The old filter element really stinks. It seems to be very good at filtering the stenching agent used in the gas. I'm sure there's nobody else who studies stenching agents but I'm intrigued as the autogas stench is a lot different from either the one used in natural gas or the one favoured by Calor for their bottled gasses. The autogas stench is a sweeter one and smells a lot like some rather aromatic cooking ingredient that I'm at a loss to identify. Whatever, it's incredibly strong and potent as I can still smell it on my fingers long after taking the above photo and washing my hands...

It may be my imagination but the car seemed a bit livelier on gas after the swap.
0x
Jim

red_dwarfers
donor 2017
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers » 31 Oct 2012, 00:29

andmcit wrote:Plutonium? :mrgreen:

It's surprising how often Back to the Future comes up in conversation. If the films were never made there would be blank bits in conversation all over the world!

I was just mentioning to Citroenmad how useful it would be to have a hoverboard and to then grab hold of a train to save handing over a large wad of cash to get an inside seat on the train!
0x
Kev

'98 S1 Xantia 1.9 TurboD Desire 2
'97 S2 XM 2.1 TurboD Manual VSX
'81 GSA 1.3 Club
'93 Peugeot 605 2.1 TurboD Manual SRDT

Citroen Car Club G Section committee member

andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit » 31 Oct 2012, 00:57

Damned good film(s) that's why: there's a whole raft of famous quotes that