Citrojim's Activa, 207 and Bike Tales

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

andmcit
My Cars:

Re: Citrojim's Xantia and XM Tales

Post by andmcit » 13 Oct 2012, 11:52

The long haul wins at the end of the day Jim! Great stuff. Just to be clear, it's the PCB on the fluid block?
0 x
Nothing moves you like a Citroën

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: A red Xantia Activa, a pretty blue Pug 207, a Giant TCR Bike and a Giant TCR Pro Bike.

Post by CitroJim » 13 Oct 2012, 12:43

Thanks Andrew :-D

andmcit wrote:Just to be clear, it's the PCB on the fluid block?

That's the one :twisted:
0 x
Jim

Please note I do not accept PMs...

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo » 13 Oct 2012, 13:21

Good work. My 605 ABS fault was a dodgy offside brakelight earth, backfeeding from the right blinker and confusing the heck out of the bulb failure module.
0 x

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: A red Xantia Activa, a pretty blue Pug 207, a Giant TCR Bike and a Giant TCR Pro Bike.

Re:

Post by CitroJim » 13 Oct 2012, 13:30

addo wrote:Good work. My 605 ABS fault was a dodgy offside brakelight earth, backfeeding from the right blinker and confusing the heck out of the bulb failure module.

That's a good one Adam! Bet that took some finding :twisted:
0 x
Jim

Citroenmad
My Cars:

Post by Citroenmad » 14 Oct 2012, 08:39

Very good news with the ABS Jim, looked a pig of a job! :shock:
0 x
Chris
16 C4 Cactus BlueHDi Flair
05 C4 2.0 16v Exclusive
54 Audi A2 FSi SE
51 VW Passat V6 TDi Estate

Family Citroens:
64 C4 Cactus BlueHDi Feel Red
15 C3 Picasso 1.6HDi Exclusive
56 C5 2.0HDi 138 16v VTR Estate
95 C15 6-wheel
55 Traction 6H

citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut » 14 Oct 2012, 10:54

CitroJim wrote:and two rusted-up screws on the lowest connector. I had to carefully drill them out in-situ :twisted: Luckily I have a little air operated drill which is very slim and controllable. Without it I'd have been stuck.

naaa theres always the 4.1/2" grinder with a cutting disc attached :shock: :twisted: :-D :roll: :lol: :wink:
you also obviously used loads of PERCY WHAT SIT and :teabag: :teabag: :teabag:
0 x
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 14 Oct 2012, 18:08

citronut wrote: you also obviously used loads of PERCY WHAT SIT and :teabag: :teabag: :teabag:

Yes, I used up a whole months-worth of PERCY WHATSIT Malcolm, and a good few cuppas too..

Sadly I also used up several days-worth of my own energy and in consequence I've only really just gained sufficient consciousness to post anything on here :twisted: I need milk but I can hardly walk, let along drive :roll: The ABS problem had thrown me down a gauntlet and I was determined to crack it.

Still, it was worth the cost and just occasionally I have to do what I did both to prove to myself I can and to see if by some miracle I'm all better now.

I'm not :( But at least I'm happy I can still do a bit even if it costs dearly :)
0 x
Jim

Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike » 14 Oct 2012, 18:32

I think your XM looks well, but a glance under the bonnet just makes me want to scream and run away.

If I were nearer, I'd deliver some milk for you. Sadly, I am not, however, a handy hint is that milk freezes very well in those plastic containers, and doesn't take at all long to defrost if you find yourself running low..
0 x

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 14 Oct 2012, 18:36

Rattiva_Mike wrote:I think your XM looks well, but a glance under the bonnet just makes me want to scream and run away.

:lol: I know Mike, it has the opposite effect on me. I grow a pair of horns and get determined to tame the beast :lol: :lol: :lol: never been scared of a challenge...

Thanks for the milk tip :-D So long as the cats don't demand too much of it I should be OK until tomorrow and then will be OK to get some in...
0 x
Jim

spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider » 15 Oct 2012, 11:55

I think the 'look under the bonnet' is just familiarity maybe ?

I bet someone who has only looked at say a simple OHV petrol unit would be quite alarmed at the excess of "pipework" on say something like an XUDT or suchlike, but its all relative I guess.
0 x
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG

KP
My Cars:

Post by KP » 15 Oct 2012, 12:39

Why bother putting the cat back on Jim?? With the LPG system it can get through the MOT just fine :)

Put the O2 sensor on and get a good LPG map on it and you'll probably have more power than on petrol but will increase your LPG MPG and not make it any noisier :)
0 x
1996 Activa with Leather(S2!) AC & Sunroof PALLAS'd
XM 2.5td VSX Estate green 220k running Veg&stuff

spider

Post by spider » 15 Oct 2012, 13:05

I seem to think since the MOT laws tightened up a bit more, they will be able to compare to original specification. Even if it passes without a cat, if it had one 'at the factory' it may be liable for a fail now if its absence is noted. I'm not sure...
0 x
Andy.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 15 Oct 2012, 14:00

spider wrote:I seem to think since the MOT laws tightened up a bit more, they will be able to compare to original specification. Even if it passes without a cat, if it had one 'at the factory' it may be liable for a fail now if its absence is noted. I'm not sure...

You're spot-on Andy :) precisely and Will, that's why I have to go to all the trouble of fitting a cat to a car that does not actually need one :twisted:

I could likely knock the 'guts' out of the cat and still pass as the MOT tester will have 'eyeballed' a cat being present and thus the regulation is met; the law is an ass.
0 x
Jim

KP
My Cars:

Post by KP » 15 Oct 2012, 14:19

For years my coupe passed the MOT with not even an advisory on the exhaust and it had just a back box as it was LPG converted they could only do a smoke test :) which when not munching an engine was enough :)

Buy or get another cat by all means but just knock the guts out of your current one and take it to a scrappy and get some cash back but leave the carcass on there Jim and just enjoy it :)
Then should it ever fail its easy enough to fit the new one on and you got one while they still had them in stock ;)
0 x
1996 Activa with Leather(S2!) AC & Sunroof PALLAS'd
XM 2.5td VSX Estate green 220k running Veg&stuff

spider

Post by spider » 15 Oct 2012, 14:22

Indeed, a good example being something like a DW8 which will fly through its emissions without a cat (in most cases!), but if its noted its missing (to be honest its less likely to be noticed at a smaller 'backstreet' station I would suspect) it is likely to fail.

I suspect this was done for those who took say the "K" light bulb out to hide a problem, even if said problem would not result in a fail. Although newer panels are mostly LED's now (still not difficult to cut a track temporarily though) so its good an bad in a way. Things like ABS lights missing would of always been noted though as its pretty obvious if its got it or not.
0 x
Andy.