Citrojim's Ka, Saxo and Bike Tales

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

andmcit

Re: Citrojim's Xantia and XM Tales

Post by andmcit » 13 Oct 2012, 11:52

The long haul wins at the end of the day Jim! Great stuff. Just to be clear, it's the PCB on the fluid block?

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 13 Oct 2012, 12:43

Thanks Andrew :-D
andmcit wrote:Just to be clear, it's the PCB on the fluid block?
That's the one :twisted:

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker

Post by addo » 13 Oct 2012, 13:21

Good work. My 605 ABS fault was a dodgy offside brakelight earth, backfeeding from the right blinker and confusing the heck out of the bulb failure module.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Re:

Post by CitroJim » 13 Oct 2012, 13:30

addo wrote:Good work. My 605 ABS fault was a dodgy offside brakelight earth, backfeeding from the right blinker and confusing the heck out of the bulb failure module.
That's a good one Adam! Bet that took some finding :twisted:

Citroenmad

Post by Citroenmad » 14 Oct 2012, 08:39

Very good news with the ABS Jim, looked a pig of a job! :shock:

citronut

Post by citronut » 14 Oct 2012, 10:54

CitroJim wrote:and two rusted-up screws on the lowest connector. I had to carefully drill them out in-situ :twisted: Luckily I have a little air operated drill which is very slim and controllable. Without it I'd have been stuck.

naaa theres always the 4.1/2" grinder with a cutting disc attached :shock: :twisted: :-D :roll: :lol: :wink:
you also obviously used loads of PERCY WHAT SIT and :teabag: :teabag: :teabag:

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 14 Oct 2012, 18:08

citronut wrote: you also obviously used loads of PERCY WHAT SIT and :teabag: :teabag: :teabag:
Yes, I used up a whole months-worth of PERCY WHATSIT Malcolm, and a good few cuppas too..

Sadly I also used up several days-worth of my own energy and in consequence I've only really just gained sufficient consciousness to post anything on here :twisted: I need milk but I can hardly walk, let along drive :roll: The ABS problem had thrown me down a gauntlet and I was determined to crack it.

Still, it was worth the cost and just occasionally I have to do what I did both to prove to myself I can and to see if by some miracle I'm all better now.

I'm not :( But at least I'm happy I can still do a bit even if it costs dearly :)

Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike » 14 Oct 2012, 18:32

I think your XM looks well, but a glance under the bonnet just makes me want to scream and run away.

If I were nearer, I'd deliver some milk for you. Sadly, I am not, however, a handy hint is that milk freezes very well in those plastic containers, and doesn't take at all long to defrost if you find yourself running low..

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 14 Oct 2012, 18:36

Rattiva_Mike wrote:I think your XM looks well, but a glance under the bonnet just makes me want to scream and run away.
:lol: I know Mike, it has the opposite effect on me. I grow a pair of horns and get determined to tame the beast :lol: :lol: :lol: never been scared of a challenge...

Thanks for the milk tip :-D So long as the cats don't demand too much of it I should be OK until tomorrow and then will be OK to get some in...

spider

Post by spider » 15 Oct 2012, 11:55

I think the 'look under the bonnet' is just familiarity maybe ?

I bet someone who has only looked at say a simple OHV petrol unit would be quite alarmed at the excess of "pipework" on say something like an XUDT or suchlike, but its all relative I guess.

KP

Post by KP » 15 Oct 2012, 12:39

Why bother putting the cat back on Jim?? With the LPG system it can get through the MOT just fine :)

Put the O2 sensor on and get a good LPG map on it and you'll probably have more power than on petrol but will increase your LPG MPG and not make it any noisier :)

spider

Post by spider » 15 Oct 2012, 13:05

I seem to think since the MOT laws tightened up a bit more, they will be able to compare to original specification. Even if it passes without a cat, if it had one 'at the factory' it may be liable for a fail now if its absence is noted. I'm not sure...

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 15 Oct 2012, 14:00

spider wrote:I seem to think since the MOT laws tightened up a bit more, they will be able to compare to original specification. Even if it passes without a cat, if it had one 'at the factory' it may be liable for a fail now if its absence is noted. I'm not sure...
You're spot-on Andy :) precisely and Will, that's why I have to go to all the trouble of fitting a cat to a car that does not actually need one :twisted:

I could likely knock the 'guts' out of the cat and still pass as the MOT tester will have 'eyeballed' a cat being present and thus the regulation is met; the law is an ass.

KP

Post by KP » 15 Oct 2012, 14:19

For years my coupe passed the MOT with not even an advisory on the exhaust and it had just a back box as it was LPG converted they could only do a smoke test :) which when not munching an engine was enough :)

Buy or get another cat by all means but just knock the guts out of your current one and take it to a scrappy and get some cash back but leave the carcass on there Jim and just enjoy it :)
Then should it ever fail its easy enough to fit the new one on and you got one while they still had them in stock ;)

spider

Post by spider » 15 Oct 2012, 14:22

Indeed, a good example being something like a DW8 which will fly through its emissions without a cat (in most cases!), but if its noted its missing (to be honest its less likely to be noticed at a smaller 'backstreet' station I would suspect) it is likely to fail.

I suspect this was done for those who took say the "K" light bulb out to hide a problem, even if said problem would not result in a fail. Although newer panels are mostly LED's now (still not difficult to cut a track temporarily though) so its good an bad in a way. Things like ABS lights missing would of always been noted though as its pretty obvious if its got it or not.