Citrojim's Pixo, Saxo and Cycling Tales

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

Citroenmad

Re: Citrojim's Xantia and XM Tales

Post by Citroenmad » 11 Oct 2012, 19:31

I thought the XM might impress you even more on a long run Jim, they are superb at that. I mean, Xantias are good, but XMs really are in another cruising legue!

I thought I got 200 miles from an LPG tank, though that was from full until the tank ran out and switched to petrol. However, that was only a rough guide for one obvious reason :roll:

As for cutting down on your car numbers, your in the same boat as me! Its obvious that your Activa will never be moved on and the XM would make an ideal daily car. It is unfortunate that your V6 might be the one to go but I have came to a quick conclusion that we can not keep them all. Which is why we are thinning our fleet too, god knows I would keep them all (XM estate and your Prestige included) if I could.

My reason for getting the diesel Xantias is because I wanted that particular car and also it will be very nice to have a more wallet friendly Xantia to use. I probably would not have got one if it was not that car.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 11 Oct 2012, 19:43

I refilled the LPG tank just as the red light came on and that happened right near my 'home' LPG station so I've yet to find out how far it'll run with the red light on before it swaps back over to petrol. Roughly, it's 50 miles per green light!!! So 200 miles is a good estimate.

You're right Chris, the Activa, mine particularly, is irreplaceable and I think too. given the mileage and overall condition, the V6 is too but something has to give, just like you. Not only is it the cost and logistics but I'm just not doing the mileage now and it's unlikely I will be in the future either so one car is always going to sit here practically unused. I did less then 1,000 miles in the Activa between MOTs and the V6 similar. Most went on Rattiva and your (Mikes!) V6; that only amounted to about 6,000 in total.

Richard's HDi was just too good to miss really as you'll never find another like it for sure. Well bought sir :-D

I'm going to buy lots of rustproofer for both the XM and Activa and for the small mileage they do, they can go through the winter I think.

If only we could keep all our cars. I'd have about 30 by now :roll:

Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike » 11 Oct 2012, 19:59

CitroJim wrote:

Richard's HDi was just too good to miss really as you'll never find another like it for sure. Well bought sir :-D

I'm going to buy lots of rustproofer for both the XM and Activa and for the small mileage they do, they can go through the winter I think.

If I could keep all my cars, I'd be divorced by now.. I'd also have a driveway full of old Saabs and Citroens.

Richard's HDi is very, very nice indeed. I've had the pleasure of being in it a few times, usually due to GSF giving me the wrong bits :-)

Citroenmad

Post by Citroenmad » 11 Oct 2012, 20:19

CitroJim wrote:I refilled the LPG tank just as the red light came on and that happened right near my 'home' LPG station so I've yet to find out how far it'll run with the red light on before it swaps back over to petrol. Roughly, it's 50 miles per green light!!! So 200 miles is a good estimate.

You're right Chris, the Activa, mine particularly, is irreplaceable and I think too. given the mileage and overall condition, the V6 is too but something has to give, just like you. Not only is it the cost and logistics but I'm just not doing the mileage now and it's unlikely I will be in the future either so one car is always going to sit here practically unused. I did less then 1,000 miles in the Activa between MOTs and the V6 similar. Most went on Rattiva and your (Mikes!) V6; that only amounted to about 6,000 in total.

Ah, you must be getting better MPG than I did as the red light does last a longtime, easily another 50 miles :-D

Your low mileage will keep your cars good Jim. I do about 20-25K year between mine and that in a car doing 25-30mpg wouldbe hugely painful! :lol:

Yes, I could not resist it Jim. :-D

andmcit

Post by andmcit » 11 Oct 2012, 22:44

I'm away from the forum for a day or so, to come back and find the music has stopped and
there's been another mass swap around of Xantiae between everyone's driveways when the
lights come back on...

I must live in the wrong neck of the woods as I couldn't give away Xm's or Cx's for scrap
money last month and had to say goodbye to 4 XM's, 3 Cx's and 2 Xantiae. :(

andmcit

Post by andmcit » 11 Oct 2012, 22:48

And no matter how much you rationalise it, you're going to feel some pain and regret
due to that v6 shaped space in your life: they're just so damned easy to like and live with!

Citroenmad

Post by Citroenmad » 11 Oct 2012, 23:04

andmcit wrote:And no matter how much you rationalise it, you're going to feel some pain and regret
due to that v6 shaped space in your life: they're just so damned easy to like and live with!
Don't say that! :lol:

bxzx16v

Post by bxzx16v » 12 Oct 2012, 05:54

Don't sell the V6 Jim :cry:

Mark

Xaccers

Post by Xaccers » 12 Oct 2012, 06:53

There's only one option: Combine the 2 and make a V6 Activa.

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker

Post by addo » 12 Oct 2012, 09:23

Clearfloor hoist in front of the garage is one option, would help generate pocket money too. Option two would be a car trailer, which you could park on the street with a SORN'd car on top.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 12 Oct 2012, 12:47

bxzx16v wrote:Don't sell the V6 Jim :cry:

Mark
That, after much thought and soul-searching, is my conclusion Mark :lol:
Xac wrote:There's only one option: Combine the 2 and make a V6 Activa.
:lol: I nearly did once... It would be nice...
addo wrote:Clearfloor hoist in front of the garage is one option,
Umm, good thinking! Wonder what the neighbours would make of it :lol: :lol:

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker

Post by addo » 12 Oct 2012, 12:57

They'll complain until they realise the benefits.

It might suffer some guerilla knitting! :shock:

Or cop a Banksy (at which point, it would unquestionably have to remain a fixture)... Docchevron's a Bristolian; maybe he can put in a request?

Citroenmad

Post by Citroenmad » 12 Oct 2012, 13:42

CitroJim wrote:
bxzx16v wrote:Don't sell the V6 Jim :cry:

Mark
That, after much thought and soul-searching, is my conclusion Mark :lol:
So its a keeper again, good to hear :-D

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 12 Oct 2012, 19:37

Citroenmad wrote:So its a keeper again, good to hear :-D
Indeed to goodness yes :-D

I've been doing some gentle XM spannering over the past couple of days and specifically it's ABS issues...

The fun carries on. I'd sort of determined the valve block was the cause and was awaiting help plus courage to swap it for the the good one Paul let me have at CXM. It's a bit of a major job :twisted:

Anyway, I re-checked my findings over the past couple of days and I'm glad I did as the valve block electrovalves are actually OK :) So that means the valve block itself does not need to be swapped.

I know the ECU is OK too by a swap with one DavetheRave has lent me. Two giving exactly the same faults suggest they're both good.

My ELIT kept on banging on about a permanent fault on the safety relay. I investigated further and in resistance checking the electrovalves from the ECU connector I found that all of them were 20-something ohms to ground rather than the expected 3.5 ohms. However if you read between coils (they share a common earth/supply) every one read 7 ohms, which is to be expected. So why the high resistance to earth?

Between the common of all the electrovalve coils and earth lies the safety relay which earths their commons when the ABS is out of use or switches 12V to it when in service and all is good; this 12v also extinguishes the ABS light.

After much testing I determined it is the actual relay that's at fault and when switched to earth the coil commons it shows a resistance across its contacts of 20-odd ohms. I very carefully checked this was so by disconnecting everything from the relay board attached to the valve block and testing the relay directly and comparing with the good relay board I have.

So, now it's just the simple case of swapping relay boards over. I can do it (just) by removing the A/C receiver/drier (system is empty anyway), taking off the turbo hose and popping off the nosecone so the rads can tilt back! No problem at all then.

I also found an intermittent rear sensor. That was just the connector a bit. A wiggle of it seems to have restored it happily. Now, who put the rear ABS sensor connectors where they did and who in their right mind put the fuel filter where it is? :shock: :evil: They really were smoking something good when they designed the XM :lol:

I also looked to see if the wiring plugs for the oxygen sensor still remain ready for when we refit a cat and sensor. They look, on a brief look, like they've been cut and what's more I can only see two wires. I believe it should have a normal four wire sensor although I'm trying to confirm. Service.Citroen seems to think it should and then muddies the water again by suggesting the cat also has a temperature probe in it which would be a two-wire device so the wires I saw may be for that. Has anyone ever seen one of these on an early TCT?

It just leaves the question of where the original oxygen sensor has gone. XMs - dont you just love 'em :twisted:

It grieves me that the cat has to be reinstated to satisfy the visual check as stipulated by the new MOT rules. According to lasy years MOT it flew through emissions and would have passed the cat petrol test without a cat!

More news when it happens...

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 13 Oct 2012, 11:34

The XM ABS is now fixed :D :D :D :D

Relay board on the valve block replaced. What a heck of a job :twisted: Not made easy by the lack of access and two rusted-up screws on the lowest connector. I had to carefully drill them out in-situ :twisted: Luckily I have a little air operated drill which is very slim and controllable. Without it I'd have been stuck.

Now I've just got to reassemble the car. It was a nose-cone off job.

Still, it was worth it to watch the ABS light flicker and then go off and for the ELIT to say 'No Faults'...

Hope it lasts :roll:

Proud I managed the job, albeit very slowly...