Citrojim's Activa, 207 and Bike Tales

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: A red Xantia Activa, a pretty blue Pug 207, a Giant TCR Bike and a Giant TCR Pro Bike.

Re: Citrojim's Xantia and XM Tales

Post by CitroJim » 02 Oct 2012, 21:32

Rattiva_Mike wrote:I think my fear of surgery (or rather general anaesthetics) would rival Jim's fear of flying..

Swap 'ya.. Although I've never had any, I can say I have no fear of surgery and no fear whatsoever of the dentist. Mine and my hygienist are always staggered at my total calmness in the chair. Honestly, during the last root canal I very near fell asleep and it had nothing to do with anaesthetic...

Now, flying. No way. I'd need to be knocked unconscious before I ever fly again. It's so bad I even feel uncomfortable watching a plane flying on telly... Strange really as I've flown a huge amount in the past, including some bloody hair-raising ones on third-world airlines. An Air Malawi flight between Jo'burg and Lilongwe on an elderly BAC1-11 will always stick in the memory... My best flights have been aboard RAF VC10s and the very best on an RAF Herc. to Cyprus and back...

Mike, all the best for the rebore. It'll be the very best thing you will ever do :-D Think of it like root canal treatment. Terrifying in prospect but the end result is fantastic...
0x
Jim

Please note I do not accept PMs...

Citroenmad
My Cars:

Post by Citroenmad » 03 Oct 2012, 10:51

I hope it goes well for you mike, I've a strong dislike for anything hospital, doctor or dentist related! I sympathize :)

I'll see you Saturday then Jim, get some of these XM jobs ticked off the list :-D
0x
Chris
16 C4 Cactus BlueHDi Flair
05 C4 2.0 16v Exclusive
54 Audi A2 FSi SE
51 VW Passat V6 TDi Estate

Family Citroens:
64 C4 Cactus BlueHDi Feel Red
15 C3 Picasso 1.6HDi Exclusive
56 C5 2.0HDi 138 16v VTR Estate
95 C15 6-wheel
55 Traction 6H

Xantianut
My Cars: 2002 C5 2.0 HDi 110 SX

RIP:
1993 Xantia 1.8i LX
1989 BX16TRS
1986 BX14E x 2

Post by Xantianut » 03 Oct 2012, 12:31

Ay up!

I'm petrified of anaesthetic. First time off, I had too much and it nearly put me to sleep permanently! My hernia op, although a very minor one (I was chucked out the same day!) was a major source of fear for me. As Mrs X-N will testify!
0x
C5 HDi 110 SX (Fifi 7 or Otterchops)

RIP
Citroen Xantia 1.8i LX (Fifi 6)
BX16TRS (x2) (Fifi 4 and 5)
BX19DTR (Fifi 2)
BX14E (x2) (Fifi 1 and 3)

Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike » 03 Oct 2012, 23:16

CitroJim wrote:
Rattiva_Mike wrote:I think my fear of surgery (or rather general anaesthetics) would rival Jim's fear of flying..

Swap 'ya.. Although I've never had any, I can say I have no fear of surgery and no fear whatsoever of the dentist. Mine and my hygienist are always staggered at my total calmness in the chair. Honestly, during the last root canal I very near fell asleep and it had nothing to do with anaesthetic...

Now, flying. No way. I'd need to be knocked unconscious before I ever fly again. It's so bad I even feel uncomfortable watching a plane flying on telly... Strange really as I've flown a huge amount in the past, including some bloody hair-raising ones on third-world airlines. An Air Malawi flight between Jo'burg and Lilongwe on an elderly BAC1-11 will always stick in the memory... My best flights have been aboard RAF VC10s and the very best on an RAF Herc. to Cyprus and back...

Mike, all the best for the rebore. It'll be the very best thing you will ever do :-D Think of it like root canal treatment. Terrifying in prospect but the end result is fantastic...

Well, sadly, as I have a stinking cold, they've put the operation off - 16th November I have to wait until. I have heeded your advice though, and I had actually got myself into a prepared state!

I have fallen asleep at the dentist three or four times now - all during root canals. What else is there to do? Your mouth is numb, you're lying on your back... Have a doze. Dentist hold no fear for me at all.

As for flying, I am no fan of it. I was ok when I was younger - first flight I ever had was on the Penzance-Scillies Helicopter as a 5 year old, A Sikorsy S-62. Interesting. Then a BAC1-11 from Manchester to London when we moved out to Hong Kong, then it was all DC-10s and 747s for years. Never had a problem with it until we landed in a Typhoon. Captain came on an hour out of Hong Kong and said it was likely to be "a little windy" - typical BA pilot understatement. 400 people on that plane had white knuckles and held their breath for an hour while we were tossed about like a feather. We were the last plane in for 2 days. I was 11. I have disliked flying ever since.

You can imagine my mental state last time I was in Brazil coming back from Florianopolis, trying to land at Sao Paulo Guarulhos in a thunderstorm on a Varig 737. 2 missed approaches was scary enough, but a touch-and-go is perhaps the scariest thing I ever experienced! Land, touch down, pilot realises he hasn't got room to stop because he landed too far down the runway, so cracks the throttles wide open again and pulls up steeply. We landed the next time around, though it just seemed like the captain threw the plane on the ground in desperation. We learnt later we couldn't divert elsewhere because Varig were in financial trouble, and the plane wasn't fuelled to go to an alternate airport..

Best flight ever? Probably the one from Budapest to London to see my first ever girlfriend. We were fog-bound in Budapest , so the airline gave us loads of drinks vouchers for the bar, so we got very, very drunk.. wouldn't allow you on the plane these days, but it was ok then!
0x

Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike » 03 Oct 2012, 23:17

Citroenmad wrote:I hope it goes well for you mike, I've a strong dislike for anything hospital, doctor or dentist related! I sympathize :)

I'll see you Saturday then Jim, get some of these XM jobs ticked off the list :-D

Thanks for your kind wishes Chris! Sadly they've postponed it for a month because I have a stinking cold, but I shall remember your wishes when the time comes.
0x

Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike » 03 Oct 2012, 23:21

Xantianut wrote:Ay up!

I'm petrified of anaesthetic. First time off, I had too much and it nearly put me to sleep permanently! My hernia op, although a very minor one (I was chucked out the same day!) was a major source of fear for me. As Mrs X-N will testify!

First time I had any was an emergency appendix removal on xmas day, 1993, in a Greek NHS hospital. They didn't give me enough. I woke up midway through.

I can tell you one thing. Having your appendix out *&$£ing hurts. The pain, for the 30 seconds I was awake for, was just awful. Tubes down my throat, hands strapped down. Fear took over, I snapped one of the straps and started wrenching the pipes out before the mask came down.

Second time my step-uncle did the anaesthetic. He's head of anaesthesia / hospital director at the KAT accident hospital in Athens. He didn't mess it up. Very good indeed.

I'm just scared of not waking up again really. But, like my mum says - why? You wouldn't know if you didn't.....
0x

ragger
My Cars:

Post by ragger » 03 Oct 2012, 23:26

I really thought I was the only one who had ever fallen asleep in the dentist's chair during a root canal procedure! I hate the dentist in general, and the hygienist always gives me the terrors, but the chap who did my root canals just filled me with confidence and pain killers - a star.
0x
Regards

Rob

Xantia V6 Exclusive (the Beast!)
C4 Exclusive (a surprisingly good car)
C1 Feel (it might be new but it is very practical for local zipping about)

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: A red Xantia Activa, a pretty blue Pug 207, a Giant TCR Bike and a Giant TCR Pro Bike.

Post by CitroJim » 04 Oct 2012, 15:10

My hygienist now has me using a new torture; interdental brushes - the little things that look like little bottle brushes.

I reckon hygienists are a bit. They really seem to enjoy prodding, drawing blood and scraping :roll: Mine's lovely though and her assistant is a little cutie :)

I'm so glad I didn't go through with my threat and offload the XM :-D I needed to go to the optician and pick up my new glasses and today I'm full of myalgic aches and pains :evil: I really didn't fancy taking the Activa and having to change gear manually and operate a clutch so I took the XM and for one in huge discomfort it's just bloody magical :-D

I filled her with LPG and really upset a Paxo owner who couldn't understand why I didn't pull forward to the vacant pumps beyond the LPG one. He beeped his horn and waved his arms and looked ferocious. When I got out and explained I would be using the LPG pump he was so apologetic :lol: Once at the pump and again at the pay desk!

I just can't wait for all the little issues to be sorted on the XM. It really is a car for me so tanks to all who stepped in and saved me :-D

Wherever I park the XM it gets noticed 8-)
0x
Jim

Citroenmad
My Cars:

Post by Citroenmad » 04 Oct 2012, 20:51

Fun times with the Prestige then Jim 8-)

It can be very nice to have the use of an automatic, I do enjoy the laid back driving style they give.

CitroJim wrote:Wherever I park the XM it gets noticed 8-)

I noticed this too, it does draw looks and I even had the odd comment too - good of course!

I find I always used to look back at it when I left it in a car park, its a very different looking car to anything else. Nots something I do in a Xantia I have to say.
0x
Chris
05 C4 2.0 16v Exclusive
54 Audi A2 FSi SE

Family Citroens:
95 C15 6-wheel
55 Traction 6H

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: 2003 C5 2.0 HDi 110 SX 219,600

Post by myglaren » 04 Oct 2012, 22:27

I was very tempted by the C5 V6 auto that was offered here recently as my legs are becoming increasingly painful and driving is getting to be a chore.

Mine is in for a cambelt change and service, discovered the intercooler is leaking today.
The V6 would have cost less than the service.
0x

Jackie Evancho

Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike » 04 Oct 2012, 22:36

myglaren wrote:I was very tempted by the C5 V6 auto that was offered here recently as my legs are becoming increasingly painful and driving is getting to be a chore

I like these, I had the chance to buy one earlier in the year and passed on it. I won't next time. I'm having issues with my left ankle which are getting slowly worse.
0x

Citroenmad
My Cars:

Post by Citroenmad » 04 Oct 2012, 22:59

A V6 C5 is probably something I will own at some point, I think the C5 will really suit the V6 engine and the adutoadaptive box - which in the C5 is tiptronic too.

There was a Hurricane Grey 2005 C5II V6 Exclusive with all the bells and whistles on ebay last week (it might have gone now) classified ad foe £1250 with about 70K miles. An absolute steal!

C5 V6s can be had for next to nothing, a huge ammount of car for little outlay, it is a very appealing prospect 8-)

Steve, I have had to replace the intercooler on our 2002 C5 110 as that was leaking. Its an easy job but I think the part is about £100ish+?
0x
Chris
05 C4 2.0 16v Exclusive
54 Audi A2 FSi SE

Family Citroens:
95 C15 6-wheel
55 Traction 6H

Rhothgar
My Cars:

Post by Rhothgar » 05 Oct 2012, 19:02

CitroJim wrote:Mine's lovely though and her assistant is a little cutie :)

Now! Now! We'll be calling you Jimmy before too long! Ahahahahahah! Jangle Jangle Jewry Jewry! [-X
0x

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 05 Oct 2012, 19:58

Rhothgar wrote:
CitroJim wrote:Mine's lovely though and her assistant is a little cutie :)

Now! Now! We'll be calling you Jimmy before too long! Ahahahahahah! Jangle Jangle Jewry Jewry! [-X

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyway, in other news...

Am I ever a happy bunny this evening :D

I have a working speedo on the XM :D :D :D

And an instrument panel with a full complement of working bulbs :)

Rock steady and not a tick to be heard...

I absolutely hated not having a working one...

Happy days...

I'm really getting to love this XM...

I call her my mobility scooter because she's my preferred mode of transport when I'm feeling rough...
0x
Jim

spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider » 06 Oct 2012, 10:26

CitroJim wrote:I have a working speedo on the XM :D :D :D

And an instrument panel with a full complement of working bulbs :)

That's excellent. :)

I dislike instrument panels (or dash bulbs come to that) where some do not work.
0x
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG