Citrojim's Skoda, Saxo, 207 and Bike Tales

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

lexi
donor 2017
My Cars:

Re: Citrojim's Xantia and XM Tales

Post by lexi » 25 Sep 2012, 08:57

New rules state the car must have a cat fitted even if it runs on gas predominantly and the new MOT also includes new checks on the LPG installation. A special dye is used to detect leaks and if any are found, instant fail. Previously the gas system was not subject to any MOT checks at all.

This applies to cars that were fitted from factory with a cat? Not to my 61 Landrover I assume. I am thinking of LPG'ing it.

Sorry to hear of your illness Jim. Thinking of you and wishing you well mate.
0x
Citroen C5 HDI 110 Mk 1 hatchback

French Mistresses gone.
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: An orange Skoda 120, a pretty blue Pug 207, Sally the white Saxo, a Giant TCR Bike and a Giant TCR Pro Bike.

Post by CitroJim » 25 Sep 2012, 09:13

Thanks for the good wishes Lexi :-D I've had to wind my neck in a long way and concentrate solely on getting better by order of the medical profession. It been quite a lot of work to wind-down my various activities but that's nearly done now so I can properly coast; I now just need to work on how to stop getting bored and restless :lol: :roll: My boredom threshold has always been very low.

lexi wrote:This applies to cars that were fitted from factory with a cat? Not to my 61 Landrover I assume. I am thinking of LPG'ing it.

No, I think in those days the only cats known to mankind were furry ones that go miaw so you have no worries about LPG'ing it at all. It does apply if the car was originally fitted with a cat.

If you do the LPG conversion yourself it'll need to be certified by a properly qualified gas installer.

Chris570 wrote:
Deanxm wrote:Oh no Jim, surely there is another way, if i was closer i would come and do the job for you but given the distance and ferry implications it would be a bit tricky at the moment..............

D

Fear not, Jim already has the chief engineer from the Citroen Service Centre of Great Barford booked :)

Thanks Chris, that's much appreciated :-D And thanks Dean for the very kind offer too :-D Just shows what this forum is all about. Excellent!
0x
Jim

Please note I do not accept PMs...

Citroenmad
My Cars:

Post by Citroenmad » 25 Sep 2012, 10:51

:shock: There really was not a lot left to that bumper mount! Your repair looks good and wont rot again. Perhaps the rot to the original occured due to that side having a holed wheel arch rubber cover? Well worth replacing now.

That is unfortunate news about the MOT and LPG for the Prestige :( I hope you can manage to get a cat and have it fitted without too much hassle. I know the car can stand a long time and not lose any LPG, so hopefully it is without any leaks. This Prestige might well be turning into more than you have bargained for, im sorry :( You can always bring it back :roll:
0x
Chris
16 C4 Cactus BlueHDi Flair
05 C4 2.0 16v Exclusive
54 Audi A2 FSi SE
51 VW Passat V6 TDi Estate

Family Citroens:
64 C4 Cactus BlueHDi Feel Red
15 C3 Picasso 1.6HDi Exclusive
56 C5 2.0HDi 138 16v VTR Estate
95 C15 6-wheel
55 Traction 6H

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: An orange Skoda 120, a pretty blue Pug 207, Sally the white Saxo, a Giant TCR Bike and a Giant TCR Pro Bike.

Post by CitroJim » 25 Sep 2012, 17:27

Citroenmad wrote:Perhaps the rot to the original occured due to that side having a holed wheel arch rubber cover?

I reckon you're right there Chris... new bungs will be going on as soon as I can get some. I believe they're the same as found in the boots of 106s to cover the subframe mounting bolts...

Citroenmad wrote:This Prestige might well be turning into more than you have bargained for, im sorry :( You can always bring it back :roll:

Ahh well, these things happen Chris. All part of the fun of XM ownership. Nope. I'm not bringing it back! Not likely. I like the car far too much for that :-D
0x
Jim

Xantianut
My Cars: 2002 C5 2.0 HDi 110 SX

RIP:
1993 Xantia 1.8i LX
1989 BX16TRS
1986 BX14E x 2

Post by Xantianut » 25 Sep 2012, 20:07

Ay up!

1st car I drove after passing my test was a Xantia TD with less than 1,000 miles on the clock but already like a council tip inside because the Boss (it was his car) never bothered using an ahstray when there was a perfectly good floor available. Also why vacuum? Costs money!

However, I decided then that I had to have one. A BX14E Leader was bought for a song and I've had Citroens ever since. I love 'em!

Even if every one I've had did have a mind of their own..... 8-[
0x
C5 HDi 110 SX (Fifi 7 or Otterchops)

RIP
Citroen Xantia 1.8i LX (Fifi 6)
BX16TRS (x2) (Fifi 4 and 5)
BX19DTR (Fifi 2)
BX14E (x2) (Fifi 1 and 3)

Citroenmad
My Cars:

Post by Citroenmad » 25 Sep 2012, 20:11

I think the mount on the rear bumper has not been helped by the impact it had at the time of the wing dent.

CitroJim wrote:
Citroenmad wrote:This Prestige might well be turning into more than you have bargained for, im sorry :( You can always bring it back :roll:

Ahh well, these things happen Chris. All part of the fun of XM ownership. Nope. I'm not bringing it back! Not likely. I like the car far too much for that :-D

Excellent, you seem to have developed quite a bond with the old Prestige. :-D I can't help but feel a bit guilty as I do seem to have got the better car, however, my offer stands for helping you out with some jobs on it.
0x
Chris
05 C4 2.0 16v Exclusive
54 Audi A2 FSi SE

Family Citroens:
95 C15 6-wheel
55 Traction 6H

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 29 Sep 2012, 16:17

Citroenmad wrote:Excellent, you seem to have developed quite a bond with the old Prestige. :-D

Yes I have Chris but the relationship hit breaking point today when I tried to replace the speedo cable :evil: I found exactly my limit of ability and it's not a lot sadly. Finding it in such a way reduced me to tears of frustration and upset and I was all set to see the XM off. Free to anyone who wanted it. I even posted to that effect.

The day started wonderfully. I woke up perky and with an intention of popping on the new speedo cable and changing the transmission fluid. Weather was perfect for it...

This is the first time my inability to do something I could formerly do with ease has really hit home hard and it did with quite devastating consequences. The post I made has been removed by the admins but a copy can still be seem on Club-XM.

I'm happy to say that after a few cups of tea and kindly words of wisdom from some very good friends has saved the day :-D

In retrospect I've learned a valuable lesson today. I can't do what I once could and I really must accept that. I keep on pushing the limits of what I can and can't do and I tend to crash and burn as a result. A bit of a wake-up call really.

Still, the good news is that the XM will be fixed but not by me... In other good news (of a sort) the doctors have pronounced me very fit from a purely medical point of view and I await a consultation from a neurosurgeon for the final and formal diagnosis and to see why my right side muscles are considerably weaker than my left...

So, to anyone who thought they were about to be offered a free XM, sorry but very good and kind folks around here are seeing to it that it remains mine to enjoy :-D It doesn't stop me feeling very guilty about accepting offers of help. That really is something so new to me it's taking a bit of time for it to make any sense. Traditionally it has always been the other way about...
0x
Jim

Citroenmad
My Cars:

Post by Citroenmad » 29 Sep 2012, 20:18

Jim, I didn't see your earlier post but Im very sad to hear this. :( Im sorry the Prestige is not a better and more sorted car for you, it certainly has the makings and your well on the way but I hope you knew what it needed by my descriptions and are not too dissapointed. I can't help but feel it might have been the wrong car for you :(

My offer to come down and help you with it is not a hollow one, im still very eager to do this. You will have a PM :)

Never think it is too much for you, I will always help you with anything I can or if you want out of XM ownership I would happily swap or buy it back. It is just a shame Im so far away to help more but Im very happy to come down for a few days :)

I'm glad you finshed today on a brighter note, and you know, it has taken many years for the XM to develop its niggles and faults. Im pretty sure that once its done it will be a very reliable car.

I guess your fustration is perhaps mainly for your health. Things can always wait and take time to do, the main thing is not to over-do things. :)
0x
Chris
05 C4 2.0 16v Exclusive
54 Audi A2 FSi SE

Family Citroens:
95 C15 6-wheel
55 Traction 6H

Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike » 29 Sep 2012, 21:41

Citroenmad wrote:Jim, I didn't see your earlier post but Im very sad to hear this. :( Im sorry the Prestige is not a better and more sorted car for you, it certainly has the makings and your well on the way but I hope you knew what it needed by my descriptions and are not too dissapointed. I can't help but feel it might have been the wrong car for you :(

My offer to come down and help you with it is not a hollow one

Yes, I'm around quite a lot . I'm more than willing to help. You'll have to sit in your chair, shout instructions, and get fed up at my incompetence, but I'm still willing to help!
0x

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 01 Oct 2012, 19:24

I see I have a new forum rank :lol:

Yes, it's right. I have been a very naughty boy :twisted:

I've not quite recovered from Saturday just yet but fact is I must accept that what I can do on cars is very limited indeed for a while yet and I must both accept that and come to terms with it; not easy.

Huge thanks to all who have offered to spend some time on the XM, very highly appreciated!

This is what needs to be done as far as I know:

Speedo cable
ABS block
Exhaust leak, fit cat and oxygen sensor
Gearbox fluid change
Rear bumper mounts
LHM change
Cambelt change
MOT test

That's all but none of those jobs can I risk even trying to do.

I thought I could. It is a huge disappointment and a massive blow that I find I can't and mustn't even try to now :(

Any offers of help greatly appreciated :)

I may need help on the Xantias in the future but touch wood, both are just about perfect at the moment although getting very little use.

Chris, PM on way. Sorry for the delay in responding.
0x
Jim

Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm » 01 Oct 2012, 19:32

Is that Xac's "very naughty boy" or Chris's "very naughty boy" i believe the two are very different and the latter may involve some sort of lube :lol:

D
0x
XM Prestige 92, surgery has begun, RIP faithfull 2.0i
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............

citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut » 01 Oct 2012, 19:39

that penguin has escaped again Jim :roll: :-D :wink:
0x
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 01 Oct 2012, 19:42

Deanxm wrote:Is that Xac's "very naughty boy" or Chris's "very naughty boy"

I'm sure Xac is responsible and if so he's right. I was. I should have known better. Doing my old trick of finding something out the hard way.

I expect his inspiration was from Monty Python's Life of Brian "He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy"...
0x
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 01 Oct 2012, 19:43

citronut wrote:that penguin has escaped again Jim :roll: :-D :wink:

He's here with me OK :? Anyone else lost him?
0x
Jim

Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm » 01 Oct 2012, 19:48

Chin up Jim, like i say if your down here an oil change and cambelt would be a nice sunday's work and if your quick ive got a nice Activa hire car you can borrow to see the sights in while i do it.

D
0x
XM Prestige 92, surgery has begun, RIP faithfull 2.0i
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............