Citrojim's Skoda, Saxo, 207 and Bike Tales

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Re: Citrojim's Xantia and XM Tales

Post by DickieG » 15 Sep 2012, 11:27

Rattiva_Mike wrote:My god, you've been to some poor airports Jim. Gatwick is an embarrassment to the UK. I can't imagine what first-time visitors think when they arrive there.

Gatwick is like entering the Savoy compared with Luton airport, now that really is a depressing dump plus they have the cheek to charge you just to drop off passengers, not park just drop off, avoid Luton airport like the plague.

Great to see you and catch up yesterday Jim.
0x
14 BMW 535D Tourer
11 BMW F25 X3 3.0D Sport
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: An orange Skoda 120, a pretty blue Pug 207, Sally the white Saxo, a Giant TCR Bike and a Giant TCR Pro Bike.

Post by CitroJim » 15 Sep 2012, 11:33

DickieG wrote:Great to see you and catch up yesterday Jim.

And you :-D Really enjoyed my day!

And another thing about Gatwick, it is so spotlessly clean, even the car parks...
0x
Jim

Please note I do not accept PMs...

Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers » 15 Sep 2012, 11:34

CitroJim wrote:I must say the Costa coffee at Gatwick South Terminal is the worst I've ever tasted :evil:

Oh god yes it is awful! Tastes like Satan's jock strap (i would imagine).
Even 8 sugars and loads of milk couldn't disguise the foul taste!
0x
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo » 15 Sep 2012, 11:45

Tastes like Satan's jock strap...
I found this highly amusing. It conjured up mental images of the Sydney Mardi Gras after-party. :shock:

A tenner for parking isn't bad - Sydney airport is dearer.
0x

Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike » 15 Sep 2012, 12:00

They must have done a number on Gatwick for the Olympics, it was a complete dirty hole last time I was there, which is admittedly last October!

I always find Costa rough Jim, I think the coffee they use is too bitter. Starbucks is "ok", but you have to think of it as a pleasant tasting hot drink, rather than coffee, though the Colombian mafiaettes actually tell me their coffee is not bad at all.
0x

Xantianut
My Cars: 2002 C5 2.0 HDi 110 SX

RIP:
1993 Xantia 1.8i LX
1989 BX16TRS
1986 BX14E x 2

Re:

Post by Xantianut » 15 Sep 2012, 12:03

addo wrote:
Tastes like Satan's jock strap...
I found this highly amusing. It conjured up mental images of the Sydney Mardi Gras after-party. :shock:

A tenner for parking isn't bad - Sydney airport is dearer.

Ay up.

The crack about the divvil's underwear will enter my vocabulary! :lol: That would describe the output of most of the chippies around here.... :puke:
0x
C5 HDi 110 SX (Fifi 7 or Otterchops)

RIP
Citroen Xantia 1.8i LX (Fifi 6)
BX16TRS (x2) (Fifi 4 and 5)
BX19DTR (Fifi 2)
BX14E (x2) (Fifi 1 and 3)

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: An orange Skoda 120, a pretty blue Pug 207, Sally the white Saxo, a Giant TCR Bike and a Giant TCR Pro Bike.

Post by CitroJim » 15 Sep 2012, 17:47

Well, I have been having fun today...

I may have got somewhere with the Bendix ABS problems on the XM :) Paul (Citroenxm), bless him, gave me ABS two valve blocks at CXM, one good one and one bad one that I was free to play around with. And have I ever played today...

The relay board is sealed but with the use of a sharp craft knife around the seam it can be opened. There's not much in there, just a diode and a relay along with some potentially dodgy soldering. All aspects of the board can be tested without needing to open it and if anyone wants, I can go through the tests.

The one I opened tested fine so I turned to the valve block itself. I noted when I tested the resistance of the five electrovalve coils on the one presently on my car that four read 3.5 ohms but one was much, much higher. I found the same on Paul's duff block, one being sometimes 85 ohms, sometimes 22 ohms and at other times nearly open-circuit or nearly right :roll: Not right.

I checked the good valve block and found all five electrovalves were all 3.5 ohms.

I then pulled the valve block apart cautiously by undoing the four tight Loctited Allen bolts and splitting the block in half. The electrovales can then be removed. They're a lovely piece of engineering..

The valves themselves can be further disassembled by gently unscrewing their caps nearest the coil wires and the coil bobbin lifted out.

Here's a shot of the block in bits:

By looking at the resistance of the duff coil I could make it vary by wiggling the wires from normal 3.5 ohms to open-circuit...

With a craft knife I have scraped away enough insulation to almost get to the coil terminations. Work has stopped at this point...

This is the partially excavated bobbin:

So, it looks like that could be the problem. The ECU must check the electrovalve coil resistances on self-test just as it does the sensors. It looks like the electrovalves may be amenable to repair and if not, a good valve of the right type could be swapped from another duff block or the coil bobbins swapped over or re-wound.

To aid the identification of the duff coil, measure the resistance between the following pins on the 7-way valve block connector and pin 5 of the 5 way valve block connector with the middle plug on the relay board plugged in. A good coil will read 3.5 ohms

Each electrovalve has different coloured wires going to them to aid identification as follows:

7 way connector Pin 1 - Yellow
7 way connector Pin 2 - Green
7 way connector Pin 3 - Red
7 way connector Pin 4 - White
7 way connector Pin 5 - Brown

Although it's a 7 way connector there are only 5 pins and pin 1 is the one nearest the edge.

So, don't throw away duff Bendix valve blocks - they can yield valuable spares ;)

A huge thanks to Paul for making this possible :D

Also today Xac and Danielle popped around for a very nice visit whilst Cassy was having new tyres fitted. I guess they thought my place was a far nicer waiting room than that at the fitters :lol: It made a very pleasant afternoon indeed :-D
0x
Jim

vince
My Cars:

Post by vince » 15 Sep 2012, 19:33

As usual Jim you are found in deep surgery :P

You have mastered the Xantia....and no doubt soon the XM :)
0x
1993 Citroen xm 2.1td, silver/grey, bowling ball wheel trims, 210k and climbing...

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 15 Sep 2012, 19:46

vince wrote:As usual Jim you are found in deep surgery :P

Yes, very much so Vince, something I've not done for ages now. Back to my old self really and I'm delighted. One small step on the road to recovery perhaps :) Really enjoyed doing it too.

vince wrote:You have mastered the Xantia....and no doubt soon the XM :)

Baby-steps Vince, baby-steps but that's one reason behind getting the XM. I really wanted to get my teeth into something new and challenging :roll:
0x
Jim

Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers » 15 Sep 2012, 20:49

CitroJim wrote:I really wanted to get my teeth into something new and challenging :roll:

We'll get you a ukulele then ;)
:rock:
0x
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool

PavlosV6

Post by PavlosV6 » 15 Sep 2012, 23:45

Xac wrote:
CitroJim wrote:I really wanted to get my teeth into something new and challenging :roll:

We'll get you a ukulele then ;)
:rock:

Well, there's a thing :!:
0x
Paul
'97 Xantia MK1 V6 Exclusive in Mauritius Blue - 205K - "Old V6" - A new life begins.....
'06 Picasso Exclusive 110 in Mediterranean Blue - 106K
'14 308cc 2.0HDi 163 Roland Garros in Pearlescent White - 7K

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo » 16 Sep 2012, 02:58

The Bosch ABS (2SE, at least) has five-sided internal socket capscrews. An act of bastardry.

Evidently the Bendix one doesn't!
0x

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Re:

Post by CitroJim » 16 Sep 2012, 07:49

addo wrote:Evidently the Bendix one doesn't!

No, just four stupidly tight and Loctited Allen Bolts. It comes apart very easily although on a 'real' job as distinct from investigation I'd like to renew the O rings...

Has your 605 got Bendix ABS Adam?
0x
Jim

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo » 16 Sep 2012, 08:42

No, it's Bosch. The relays are built like tanks, but I haven't cracked the bloc open yet as I'm hoping my recurrent ABS fault lies externally.
0x

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 16 Sep 2012, 09:45

Have you had any diagnostics on the ABS Adam?

What's the symptoms of your problem?

I ask as a read of mine did indicate a faulty solenoid (electrovalve) if you look closely and interpret what it said...

Drop round and see me and I'll pop your 605 on my TEP92. That's if it has two pin diagnostic sockets...
0x
Jim